Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange Seal — is there anything it’s good at?
  • honourablegeorge

For sealing new tyres, sealing punctures, and lasting inside tyres, it seems to be crap.

It is good at drying into a thick layer of crap coating the entire inside of your tyre and gluing it to the tape, I suppose. And it doesn’t have ammonia in it, apparently.

timmys

Seems OK to me – specifically the Endurance one.

Just did my six-monthly top up and was still liquid. Haven’t been aware of a puncture in around 8 years – Orange Seal Endurance has been the last couple of that.

bruneep

what he said^

honourablegeorge

Mine has lasted about six weeks, and completely dry, just had to scrape and brush it all off the tyre, after a battle to remove it.

Have had the odd stanimal when using Stan’s but never had it go dry like this, and Stan’s lasts for months.

prezet
    Free Member

Same as others here – I’m using the standard Orange Seal and it hasn’t dried out in the past 6 months. But then again I never had an issue with Stans either.

ta11pau1

1 year old Orange Seal Endurance sealant + massive thorn… did I die?

1 year old orange seal endurance, still worked brilliantly. Awesome stuff.

honourablegeorge

Interesting feedback. I’ve had this drying up issue with three different wheelsets across two bikes. Not doing anything differently to when I had the Stan’s.

andybrad

ive found it to work well so far

Haze

My go to sealant, excellent stuff!

jabbi
    Free Member

For thin walled tyres like Schwalbe Lite Skin, refused to seal with Stans it leaked through the sidewalls. Orange Seal endurance worked straight away and doesn’t lose air on a daily basis! The reason it works is because it fully coats the inside of the tyre with ‘a thick layer of crap’ that is effectively a super thin tube, Stans stays more liquid, you need to use enough sealant to create this layer and leave a pool for future puncture repair. It’s easier to clean out than Stans as well, peels off in one layer.

peasant
    Free Member

I have recently topped up with orange seal on a maxxis minion 29″ 2.4 with 3 oz for good measure ,2 weeks later removed tyre to send wheel off for warranty and found very little left but a good coating on the tyre and looks like it has separated ,whats going on there ??

jimdubleyou

It does leave a horrible mess on the inside of your tyre, but I guess that’s what it’s supposed to do.

I’ve been using it in tubes on my commuter wheels. It eventually managed to seal a small thorn hole when I left the hole at the bottom of the wheel. There was a lovely spray of sealant all over my downtube before that happened though.

Used in a tubeless system, I’ve had I’d noticeably work (seen the initial blast of sealant) a couple of times.

Poopscoop

Caffe Latex for the win.👍

Didn’t get on with Stans. Kept on drying out into a rubber puddle in the tyre.

Orange? Only really heard bad stuff about it to be honest to steered away.

stevious

It tastes alright

pimpingimp
    Free Member

As a ‘barely ever’ bike ride I figure I’m a good test of this sealant stuff. Well, Stans anyway.
    I built my wheels up into a tubeless setup in May 2018, have ridden by bike about 9 times since and when I took the tyres off the other day Stans was still a lovely wet sealant. A few holes had clearly been sealed and the Stans has just gone slightly grey. I used it as extra lube to seal my new tyres on my new rims (new sealant in the tyre, this was just to help it along)
    So if you don’t want it to dry out, use Stans with Maxxis tyres.

noltae
    Free Member

Not sure if Stans is ‘best’ as I’ve only ever used Stans- Apart from the one time I used Orange which failed to seal – Too many variables ultimately- I just buy heavy tyres nowadays.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m yet to find one that genuinely works. I somehow ended up with 5 tiny (2mm max) punctures just below the shoulder tread on my gravel bike last week and neat Tyre Yoghurt then a mix of it and Stans flat refused to seal them. Everytime I got it up to pressure again (50psi) one of the sealed holes would burst. In the back tyre there’s no holes but the mix of Stans and Tyre Yoghurt isn’t effectively sealing the sidewalls so I have to pump it up every time I use it (basically every day).

It’s been a long time since I remember Stan’s effectively sealing a puncture, either normal or race, in gravel or MTB tyres. I’m beginning to wonder why I run it.

Tyre Yoghurt seemed different – it’s a liquid full of bits of synthetic fibre and these seem to be what’s used to seal the holes. It kind of works but the fibres can get forced out by pressure and because the liquid doesn’t do any of the sealing and it’s latex free it doesn’t seal tiny holes at all. It’s bloody expensive too. It might work on a mountain bike a bit better. Maybe.

singlespeedstu

I was told by Mr Yoghurt not to mix it with Stand as it does something odd to it and stops it working

staffo
    Free Member

Each to their own but 50psi seems a tad high for a gravel tyre pressure. Having said that I would expect sealant to cope with such pressures. I’ve been using Orange Seal Endurance for a year or two now without any issues.

honourablegeorge

So, a month later, opened up the same tyre, Orange seal all dried out again, layer of crap all over the tyre. It’s going in the bin. Back to Stan’s

enigmas
    Free Member

You need to give the bottle a real shake with orange seal as the particles that plug holes fall to the bottom and it won’t do much good.

IME it’s the best sealant on the market, and has sealed holes that stans has failed to do.

airvent
    Free Member

Muc off is the best sealant on the market but often the most expensive too.

honourablegeorge

enigmas

You need to give the bottle a real shake with orange seal as the particles that plug holes fall to the bottom and it won’t do much good.

All the particles in the world aren’t going to help if the stuff has dried up inside the tyre.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange Seal — is there anything it’s good at?’ is closed to new replies.