Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 298 total)
  • online dating experiences
  • timc
    Free Member

My old Flatmate used to go on Plenty of Fish all the time, Loads of sex with women he met, Majority wern’t too easy on the eye, rest were weirdos… his advice would be the better ones that you have to pay for, two other friend’s both met current partners on Match (?) & seem happy

JoeBones
    Free Member

I met the current Mrs Bones at a ‘tweetup’ love her to bits

nicko74

Actually met a nice lady and we went on a great ride around the dark peaks.

oi oi!

From friends and suchlike, the Guardian Soulmates one does seem to be worth the effort, if you like that kind of person. Some of the others are clearly more for, er, fishing, but it depends what you’re after.

globalti
    Free Member

I used to do it before we all had computers and email; it was just somebody in an office who had some kind of matching up system. Trouble was, as you worked your way through their list of possible candidates in your area they got increasingly reckless and began sending you more and more rubbish, further and further away from home.

My most successful, er, date, was as a result of giving my phone number to a girl who was in a relationship at the time. Shortly afterwards she kicked him into touch and we embarked on a six month sex marathon, which was good fun.

takisawa2

A mate used them but spun so much BS about himself that when he finally met them they ran a mile. Shame, as some of the girls he met were actually very nice.

I used Match.com, & after sharing a few emails had a blind date with the lady who’s now my wife. Its our 10th anniversary this year.!!!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I used to meet girls off of MySpace. One turned out to be 4’6″ – that was never really going to work.

madjak
    Free Member

Been on the online dating thing for a bit and met a couple of girls, one of which I’m seeing at the moment. Very early days but things seem fine.

Go with recommenations on web sites, some of them can be a bit dodgy. Not heard good things about Matchaffinity.

EHarmony only sends you people it thinks you match with so not so much choice.

As said I’d try one of the more main stream ones like Match, lots of people on there.

One note though, if you are looking for a relationship and not just sex then be mindful that a lot of people on these sites play the odds and have several on the go. I don’t do this but you could well be one of many on the list of people to see or currently seeing.

hora
    Free Member

on these sites play the odds and have several on the go

I knew someone who used POF for a couple of years – she did the same, always had a number on the go- say seeing (actually seeing) 3 blokes at the sametime with ‘chats’ with others. Every so often she’d prune one or so off and ‘promote’ to the inner circle. She always said she was unlucky in love/trying to find love but to me it looked like she was eating out alot and getting an enormous amount of casual sex. Literally rotating blokes every night- meal then back to hers.

Why do people hide from the truth/what they are doing?

Personally (being honest), if I was single I’d do it one at a time- see how each relationship goes. I’ve got the bedroom energy for multiple I’m a sexual tyrannosaurus however you’d spend most of your week servicing all these multiple relationships. Madness and a fulltime job in itself- you’d have no quiet time/relax after work etc. Are some people ‘lacking something mentally’?!!!

emsz
    Free Member

I’m never going to be able to look at a map of Norway without giggling now!

Did think about dating sites, but was too scared in the end. Don’t need to now :mrgreen:

elzorillo
    Free Member

Elzorillo would the teacher be Runcorn based?

No mate.. Notts.

DezB
    Free Member

Stay away from maps of the Mull of Kintyre…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Few years ago I spent a long time writing a profile, had loads of dates. most only met once as you can tell alot about a person in a night out. Spent about 4 or 5 months persevering, trying a few different sights, the Guardian one was good as you had to pay, I think people spent a little longer writing about themselves. Eventually I met a wonderful, wonderful women, even before our first date we had clicked, I made a supreme effort on the first date. Had some great experiences in the first few weeks. We got married last year 🙂

crazy-legs

I used Fitness Singles about 3-4 years ago. Met some people I’d never want to see again, a couple of girls who remain good friends and then met a girl which developed into a really good relationship.

The long distance thing killed it after a year or so but I wouldn’t have met her without online dating.

missnotax
    Free Member

Hmmm. I’ve used Match previously – met my ex that way and we were together for 5 years so I guess that is kind of a success (ish)?

Thinking about parting with my money to give it a go again but to be perfectly honest i’m pretty worried about making another bad judgement-call! Guess that means the time isn’t quite right yet.

As for funny stories, where should I start… I have had all sorts of ‘interesting’ photos sent through to me, scary puckered-up lunges at me as I get in the car, plus some nasty white loafers I just couldn’t come to terms with 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

As already mentioned…. avoid this one too:

emsz
    Free Member

Only on here is the map of the world turned into pictures of nobs 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only on here is the map of the world turned into pictures of nobs

Not just here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_of_Kintyre_test

Solo
    Free Member

*Sigh* people are so easily offended round here

Anna. No offense taken, but I did read it a bit like the typical throw away comment I see women post about men, in general.
    As you know, we’re not all knuckle dragging, smelly and beer bellied.
    *waits*

On another note, the women being econimcal about the number they choose to indicate their age, seems to be a common thing and a none starter, imo, as its a lie from the outset. Who wants to get with a liar ?.

Another example of being economical with the truth. Once, during an exchange of messages, it was finally revealed that the picture in the profile wasn’t of her, but a friend.
    😯 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

My experience of online dating resulted in a wife 😯 😀

At the time I was a bit embarassed as I thought online dating was a bit naff etc … although apparently online dating is now the more likely way to meet people than going out in the real world and actually meeting an actual person, in person.

I reckon online dating makes sense, especially for blokes – you can get everything else you want on the internet, so why not a gf/partner/wife? 😀

It’s just an extension of shopping online, although everything’s “sold as seen”, and there’s no guarantee or warranty.

matttromans
    Free Member

No experience to speak of yet….i’ve just taken the plunge and registered on PoF. Not really interested in ‘fun’, just want to meet a normal, well adjusted woman who shares my love of bikes, music and interesting cultures. So far i’ve found 2 who might just meet the requirements. First date on Friday with the one i’m most hopefully about. Massively nervous as i’ve never done a blind date before!

kayak23

On another note, the women being econimcal about the number they choose to indicate their age, seems to be a common thing and a none starter, imo, as its a lie from the outset. Who wants to get with a liar ?.

A friend of mine does this. Says there is a big amount of difference in interest when she drops her age just a few years to earlier thirties. I don’t agree with her but meh…

I’m ‘on’ Match currently but have not paid up. Personally, I hate Match as you cannot see or do a single thing without paying first. Considering the amount of unsuitable candidates out there, it would be nice if you could make that judgement early on without paying so much money, as you can on Guardian etc.
    I’ve had a few ‘winks’ and messages lately on there, but am not in a position to stump up the money yet so they shall remain a mystery I guess….

Cougar

I did read it a bit like the typical throw away comment I see women post about men, in general.

Whilst that sort of thing irks me too, you did take half a sentence out of context in order to pull her up on it. You misread her comments I believe (though whether accidentally or intentionally, I don’t know).

missnotax
    Free Member

A friend of mine does this. Says there is a big amount of difference in interest when she drops her age just a few years to earlier thirties. I don’t agree with her but meh…

You see, no offence to your friend, but I don’t really see the point in this…

I’m 37 and i’m sure there might be more interest if I was 5 years younger. But i’m not. I want to meet someone nice for a relationship not a quickie, so surely the age thing is going to come out at some point and then I would look like some kind of lying nutter?!! I just don’t really get the whole lying thing. Much better to be honest – unless you do just want a quickie 😉

hora
    Free Member

If someone lies about their age to ‘get interest’ then they are being unsuccessful elsewhere in their personality/search so far IMO hence they are dropping years off to try and garner more interest.

If someone is over 40, so what. ALOT of girls (and guys) out there actually look for a mature person in a partner. I know a few people with 10yr age-gaps who are happy.

wallop

Anna. No offense taken, but I did read it a bit like the typical throw away comment I see women post about men, in general.

Which are far, far outnumbered by the reverse on here 😉

dwarf
    Free Member

No experience to speak of yet….i’ve just taken the plunge and registered on PoF. Not really interested in ‘fun’, just want to meet a normal, well adjusted woman who shares my love of bikes, music and interesting cultures. So far i’ve found 2 who might just meet the requirements. First date on Friday with the one i’m most hopefully about. Massively nervous as i’ve never done a blind date before!

I tried POF for a while last year with very similar aims but despite messaging plenty of girls with what i considered to be reasonable messages showing a good level of interest i didn’t get very many replies, and no dates. How did you word your profile and messages to get good interest so quickly?

Good luck with your blind date! 🙂

kayak23

You see, no offence to your friend, but I don’t really see the point in this…

I’m 37 and i’m sure there might be more interest if I was 5 years younger. But i’m not. I want to meet someone nice for a relationship not a quickie, so surely the age thing is going to come out at some point and then I would look like some kind of lying nutter?!!

I agree, don’t see the point. She justifies it by saying that it’s really just to garner initial contact as she believes men see her age(she’s only 36) and walk on by. She says that if someone does contact her she then quickly will tell them her real age but also her reasons for lying..

Incidentally, she is a nutter…so that’s ok then 😀

cheburashka
    Free Member

Got accepted onto ‘Darwin Dating’, nothing came of that as I just wanted to see if I’d get in or not. Being a naive sort I went on an online date years ago where it was obvious she was just (desperately) after one thing. When it came to getting a cab later that night in her mind we were both going back to hers but I just bundled her in and shut the door after her. I realised then that the proportion of sleazy desperates on dating sites is probably akin to the fakes on fleabay. Despite this, of the next online date, me and my very sweet significant other have been together eight years this year. She did the initial ‘poking’ or whatever it’s called. Neither of us can believe we were on such a site these days (think it was called Udate or some such, seemed overpopulated by ne’er do wells in retrospect).

bikebouy
    Free Member

FWIW I think Online Dating is probably the best way to meet folks. Ok so the search engines a bit dodgy in some but at least you can decide whether to exchange details in the comfort of your own home, remotely without the angst of actually meeting, for this reason it’s safe, don’t forget that some folks are a little bit scared of folks like Hora and even conversing with him on heres a bit scary on occasion.

If I had the choice to do Online Dating I’d go for a Pay site, descrete and from what I read so far on here eH and the Guardian look about right.

I do know someone who used PoF, but then he used it for shagging around, he wasn’t particularly nice either, bit scummy and uneducated, for that reason I’d stear so far away from PoF if thats the kind of folks you’d probably meet on there.. Just a bit too “Ewe” for my liking.
    “shudders”

matttromans
    Free Member

Dwarf – I spent a bit of time looking at the competitions profiles, and then did something a bit different! My profile is open and honest, doesn’t have a list of likes and dislikes and is longer than a few lines. I’ve chosen a few things that I am passionate about and written about them. I’ve made sure that what I have written includes my personality if that makes sense. I’ve also chosen photos of me that aren’t torso shots, just regular photos!

As for messaging, I make no reference to a girls looks and use phrases like ‘you sound interesting’, or quote some bit of their profile that I like back at them followed by ‘sounds like a good start’, or some such.

Only time will tell if this approach works….somethings got to, right?!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I dabbled a bit in my single days. Wasnt much of a hit. Few bits of ‘fun’ but nothing amounted to much. More bunny boilers than decent lasses.
    A work collegue came in with a print off of a date he had for that evening. Question was raised as to how she was single. He went on the date and found that the photo was wrong. What he met was like a sasquatch, who managed to stop all daylight from walking out the house. he made his excuses and ran……..

hora
    Free Member

FWIW I think Online Dating is probably the best way to meet folks

You know I think we’ve forgotten how to interact in the digit age. When I pop down to my local pubs I’m engaged in conversation all the time by people I’ve never met/known before. Alot of them are female (shock). I doubt they are hitting on me as our area tends to be quite relaxed/laid back but why does it need to be dating site nowadays? Does no one go to a Library/bookshop etc etc anymore?

(I know the answer..)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thing is Hora whilst you may have the confidence to hit on women everywhere armed only with your dashing good looks, natural charm and the beautiful member not everyone will.

Secondly most of those women will be in relationships and just being polite.

you get to a certain age and you dont really meet “new” folk in your circle of friends and hitting on women in pubs when i am 40 is not that appealing tbh.
    Not sure what sort of woman I would get in the discount book shop either 😉

I would never have met my SO without the internet and just think it is the modern way – I dont think I would be using it were I in my 20’s

MSP

You know I think we’ve forgotten how to interact in the digit age.

Oh the ironing

The digital age has expanded the possibilities for communication, like posting on a mountain biking forum with a bunch of people I have never met, and most if not all I will probably never meet. It’s an addition to other forms.
    Besides many people don’t want to spend their times in bars and pubs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well the way I see it is we’re not in the Pub at the moment and we’re arsing around on the Internet, I hazzard a guess that there are lots of folks logging on to Dating Websites rather than being enlightened to the delights of STW.

There are worries I have about it though, I’ve mentioned the Lad I know who uses PoF, but also there are some folks that are married and just bored who hanker after Fun and find a “match” then use them as some sort of Pawn in a torrid triangle lurve tryst.. and that folk might just be the innocent party in all of this..

You know what I’m getting at.

Caveat Emptor (or summfink like dat)

hora
    Free Member

I’m hitting on no one in any of my local pubs. I think its how you look (not your clothes). How approachable you are. There are alot of inquisitive people out there. I must admit if I was out looking for someone I’d probably struggle but not looking (typical) I tend to get conversation etc without asking.

I’m kinda despondent with interaction- on my recent rides I’ve ridden alone, hate it. I miss human interaction.

Ps- anyone see a lovely looking blonde on the left/right for sock shop in some nice stockings? 8)

matttromans
    Free Member

Hora/Junkyard – the thing is, as dating websites become more popular people go out with their friends to have a nice time safe in the knowledge that they don’t need to try meeting new folk as the dating sites fulfil that role.

DezB
    Free Member

armed only with your dashing good looks, natural charm and the beautiful member

Ahem. Phwoar.

hora
    Free Member

I look like the love child of Phil Mitchell and Binners.

Rickos
    Free Member

You know my story, Al.

Summer of debauchery followed by finding the woman I’m now married to with 2 great boys.

What have you got to lose (apart from loads of pent up frustration)? It’ll get you off here too…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 298 total)

The topic ‘online dating experiences’ is closed to new replies.