Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 271 total)
  • So, just sent my watch off for a service…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I love champagne, and will hopefully be drinking loads over the next two weekends for the wife’s 40th celebrations, however it’ll probably be cava….

boblo
    Free Member

Moley’s pointless expenditure this week:

Panniers
    Rack
    Map of Great Divide route

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehehe 🙂

thepurist

Value comes from function in this house

So no “little luxuries” just because you like them, regardless of whether they’re the best thing for the job or not? Each to their own I guess…

nicko74

A £5k bike works a lot better than a £100 bike.

A £5k watch doesn’t tell the time any better than a £5 Casio – and often worse.
    Yep, and a lot of the cost of the £5k bike’s frame will come from the materials and the engineering.
    A lot of the costs of the £5k watch will come from the materials and the engineering. It’s horses for courses really – a £5k bike won’t get you to the shops and not get stolen any better than a £100 bike, just like a £5k watch won’t tell the time better than a £5 watch. But you’ll know the difference

MrSmith
    Free Member

£1.5k coffee machine.
    £20-£40 kg artisan roasted coffee
    £4.5k one-off handmade italian bike.
    nice restaurants. (bocca de lupo on saturday, Noviko next week)
    first name terms with the wine merchant.
    6 pairs of handmade northampton goodyear welted shoes.
    only an old seiko diver and a new yobokies seiko.

it’s my money, i enjoy spending it on those things. they are there to impress me not other people.
    i’m not after affirmation of vanity purchasing from people on the internet i have never met 🙄

evidently if you buy well with rolex’s they should just about pay for their servicing. prices of daytonas have always risen.
    you would never get that kind of return on a bike, car or hi-fi.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Includes a crown but that is included in the price of the device anyhow. After having recently had to spend £900 on a new turbo for the car and now this, the worst kind of things to have to spend money on.<

Aha… fur coat and nae knickers.

kukonaya
    Free Member

You wont be banging many fitties wearing a cheapo watch. If you cannot afford a proper watch, then better to go with a cheapo digital watch or a Swatch. These watches are not pretentious and what they say about you is that you are practical and rate functionality.

One of the worst fashion sins imo is wearing anything analogue looking that costs less than say 2K pounds. Unless like I said its a Swatch.

One of the worst brands of watches and biggest accessory sins are for example Tag Heuer watches IMO. Why – It shows that you ‘care’ about your watch, but that you could not afford a proper watch. If you cannot afford a proper watch then just buy a Swatch. Otherwise save up a bit of money and buy a cheaper IWC etc… 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

or a cheaper Sinn, timefactors, Stowa Damasko, archymede etc. still great watches but without the gauche rolex nob-factor. (though i wouldn’t mind a silver faced air-king as they are quite subtle)

RichPenny
    Free Member

A £5k bike works a lot better than a £100 bike.

A £5k watch doesn’t tell the time any better than a £5 Casio – and often worse.

Unless you are racing or riding suitably difficult terrain then I’m not sure that’s true. Certainly I’ve seen a group at Cwmcarn on £20 bikes who looked to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Their club had set a £50 limit previously, but the bikes were deemed too good 😀

A nice watch is clearly jewellery to some extent, so it’s ability to tell the time is secondary. Mine is absolutely rubbish at timekeeping, as its over 80 now and needs a bit of work. I just like it as an object.

grum
    Free Member

£1.5k coffee machine.
    £20-£40 kg artisan roasted coffee
    £4.5k one-off handmade italian bike.
    nice restaurants. (bocca de lupo on saturday, Noviko next week)
    first name terms with the wine merchant.
    6 pairs of handmade northampton goodyear welted shoes.

😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

?

?

?

Some really tasteless and cheap analogue watches I’ve owned… 🙄

I would post pics of the ladies I’ve been with but they were/are never fitties and it was nothing to do with my personality that attracted them to me 🙄

EDIT:

Never owned one of these but they’re next on my list 🙂

bearnecessities

WTF happened in here in 24 hours?

Anyhow, casio – £8.99, I don’t live with my Mum, I love the simple face (like wearer), I don’t feel like a nob, and I don’t crap myself when I’m wearing it that I might scratch diddums.

*I do also have a diddums watch fetish, and I am a nob*

EDIT: Although I don’t ‘get’ Rolex, or mahoosive cases and chronograph stuff, unless you really are a diver, or have wrists the size of your ankles.

joolsburger
    Free Member

This thread has really depressed me I didn’t know people could be so judgemental about almost nothing.

Jamie
    Free Member

This thread has really depressed me I didn’t know people could be so judgemental about almost nothing.

You must be new here….

…and as a result, must be judged.

Friggin’ newbie. Stinking up the place with your new car smell…and…erm…sorry..I seem to have lost the thread. What were we talking about?

RealMan
    Free Member

One of the worst fashion sins imo is wearing anything analogue looking that costs less than say 2K pounds. Unless like I said its a Swatch.

😕

+1 to what molgrips is saying, I think…

I can’t see myself ever spending more than £100, let alone £5k, on a watch, but that’s only cause I can think of a whole range of stuff I’d rather spend that money on.

However if you’re in the position where you can buy all that other stuff, and still have enough left to blow that much on a watch, then why not?

Although I guess you could argue that every time you look at that watch you’re going to be reminded of how loaded you are. Where as if you donate £4.9k to charity and then buy yourself a £100 watch, every time you look at it you’re going to be reminded of what a nice guy you are.

I can’t understand the company charging that much and not giving you a lifetime guarantee though, that service charge sounds nuts.

bearnecessities

I didn’t know people could be so judgemental about almost nothing.

Me too, until I checked the URL of where I was, then realised it was all normal. Jealously, indifference, vexatious types and those that don’t give two hoots about anything and are happy for those that are happy, all mixed into one site. I kinda like it, don’t be depressed 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Social etiquette decrees that British people are not allowed to be judgemental in public. Somewhat bizarrely, the Internet seems to be considered a private location by most people.

ampthill

One of the worst fashion sins imo is wearing anything analogue looking that costs less than say 2K pounds.

I would almost buy a cheap analogue watch just to break the rule

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course

The statement just has so many layers

“fashion sin” I think my whole life is a fashion sin. What is a fashion sin? Should we care what people look like?

I suppose that must have really upset some one with a £1,800 watch

I think I might start inventing my own stupid fashion rules

Could you tell a fake if some one was wearing it? How does that fit in style wise?

In some way I’m disappointed that this rates more highly as a style statement than a tag heur

loddrik
    Free Member

Funny reading this thread and the knobs are out assuming that a thread like this is merely so people can say ‘I’ve to an expensive watch…’

It really is pathetic, for the record, I do have a couple of nice watches, but I drive an 8 year old people carrier and couldnt give a toss what image i project to the outside world, and trying to justify that a watch that will last decades is a waste of money where as a bike which cost a similar amount is not is laughable.

boblo
    Free Member

[stating the obvious]

That watch up there is very orange 🙂

[/stating the obvious]

dazh

What’s all this about watches? I thought they’d all been made redundant by mobile phones? Apart from the ones that allow you to dive to 100m of course. Very useful they are!

molgrips
    Free Member

Unless you are racing or riding suitably difficult terrain then I’m not sure that’s true.

£5k is over the odds, yes, but £3k bikes are definitely better than £100 ones. No question. Simply durability if you’re riding it a lot.

and trying to justify that a watch that will last decades is a waste of money where as a bike which cost a similar amount is not is laughable.

So what if it does last decades? It’ll still be a waste of money in 30 years time. Why would a normal £200 watch not last decades anyway?

I don’t think watches are comparable with bikes anyway. Bikes take a lot of physical punishment, and sooner or later they will succumb to it. And more expensive components will last longer, or be lighter and/or perform better. An expensive watch does nothing a cheap one doesn’t do. And in many cases the fancy clockwork ones are less accurate than a cheap quartz one anyway.

Did you hear there’s a new Ferrari coming out? It does 0-60 in 11 seconds, top speed of 110mph, does 35mpg, seats four and costs £3m. Want one?

kukonaya
    Free Member

I would almost buy a cheap analogue watch just to break the rule

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course

The statement just has so many layers

“fashion sin” I think my whole life is a fashion sin. What is a fashion sin? Should we care what people look like?

I suppose that must have really upset some one with a £1,800 watch

I think I might start inventing my own stupid fashion rules

Could you tell a fake if some one was wearing it? How does that fit in style wise?

In some way I’m disappointed that this rates more highly as a style statement than a tag heur

ampthill, i will try to answer some of your questions, i like fashion so maybe i can give you some tips 🙂

Yes, we should care what people look like and you should care what you look like IMO.

Well no-one needs to be upset because it is just my opinion 🙂

Oh yes! you could definitely tell when it’s a fake very easily!

Yes, your orange watch is definitely better than a Tag Huer for many reasons. 1-Your watch is functional and you use it to jog/run and as timing instrument. For what you do and for your lifestyle it is perfect. Although personally I would never advocate bright colors like that. Some women might not find that attractive.

I would like to give you another little tip/experiment if you dont mind: Try to do something a bit different style wise next time you go out or go to a bar for example. Try to put in some effort and just take it one step up. Like if you normally wear jeans and tshirt to bar, now try with jeans and nice shirt with collar, maybe put some gel in your hair and smell nice or bit different than usual. Shoes are very important too, try wearing some nicer shoes. And also take off your orange watch. Just try it once and see the different response you get, if any. I think you will be very surprised. 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Just a thought, people do realise these things actually appreciate in value, yes? If I sold my Roly now I’d get 2.5 times what I paid for it. So not that silly really. Now about these £3k bikes, how do they appreciate? Oh….

molgrips
    Free Member

now try with jeans and nice shirt with collar, maybe put some gel in your hair and smell nice or bit different than usual.

Arf.. you’ll look like every other scrubbed up valley lad in Cardiff to get pissed and shag something. Style can’t be bought, you have to understand it to have it 🙂

you should care what you look like IMO

Interested to hear why you think this. I thought the only true way to be cool was not to care if you’re cool or not. Of course I could be wrong, not being cool myself 🙂

Now about these £3k bikes

£3k bikes are not bought just to look nice, at least not in my house! They are bought to do a job better than a £1k bike. £5k watches do not do a better job than £100 watches.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That’s enough internet for me today.

boblo
    Free Member

Moly+point+missed….. Arf 🙂

richmars

Yes, we should care what people look like and you should care what you look like IMO.

I don’t care what you or I look like.
    I do like the look of some watches. Fortunately, many cost between £100 and £300 pounds, which for me is just about affordable.
    For me, it’s nothing about fashion, or needing to look good, I just like the look of some watches.
    I’m sure others here like the look of more expensive watches, hence people buying Rolex’s etc.
    I don’t really see this is a problem.

Jamie
    Free Member

G-Shock, bitches.

molgrips
    Free Member

If they appreciate in value then that’s great. How do they stack up against other investments?

Are other investments quite so ‘nice’ ? 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Not sure I’d categorise them as investments but its nice to know that discretionary spend isn’t necessarily gone for ever and is a bit of a counterpoint to the ‘it’s just a waste of money’ position. Anyway, this is all getting a bit dull 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I lost a shitload of money selling the Tissot with the Black Face up there after a year.

boblo
    Free Member

I think they perform better over time…. (no pun intended 🙂 )

piemonster

The only reason I care about the looks of others is for the purposes of procreation. A fancy watch doesn’t add to the appeal.

Unless they are exposing themselves in some unpleasant way. In which case the watch still doesn’t make any difference.

Nowt wrong with fancy watches, but for me…. meh…for you, do what you like.

MrSmith
    Free Member

All this chat has got me thinking about splashing out on an obnoxious wrist bauble, they obviously annoy the frack out of a lot of people. That’s priceless, having the right time is just a bonus.

piemonster

Get some enormous sovereign rings while you’re at it. Diamond studded ones.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I bought a watch that some might consider expensive (a Stowa Flieger for those that like that kind of thing) as a present to myself for surviving to 30 and also, because I’m surrounded and severely irritated by electrical gubbins all day loved the idea of a purely mechanical watch. For what it’s worth my Mrs hates it and the frequency/kinkyness of the sex is exactly the same.

RichPenny
    Free Member

£5k is over the odds, yes, but £3k bikes are definitely better than £100 ones. No question. Simply durability if you’re riding it a lot.

So now your only criteria for a bike being better than another is durability? So rigid singlespeed bikes are better than those with suspension and gears? 😉

I wouldn’t disagree that watches are largely a fashion item. Something that conveys upon the owner a slight sense of “special”. But that’s the central purpose, not being accurate to the nth degree. I also think that expensive bikes are quite similar, given that the central purposes of riding for most people are fun and fitness. Both are achievable on a cheap bike. Not many on here owning cheap bikes though….

molgrips
    Free Member

All this chat has got me thinking about splashing out on an obnoxious wrist bauble, they obviously annoy the frack out of a lot of people.

You might as well save your money 😉

So now your only criteria for a bike being better than another is durability?

No, that’s badly typed. I meant to say that even if you reduced it to simple durability then expensive components would be better.

given that the central purposes of riding for most people are fun and fitness. Both are achievable on a cheap bike

Hmm, well for me, cheap bikes are less fun because they perform less well. Of course if I could only afford a cheap one I’d ride it and be happy – as I did for many years. But I now have expensive ones, and I ride those and love them more. I haven’t changed them in 6 years and I don’t plan to any time soon, because they are still just as lovely as when I bought them.

I think that there are all sorts of bike owners on here anyway, from Audi driving trail centre mincers with too much gear to bearded purists doing 300 miles a week on a steel hardtail. Likewise Rolex flashers and people who just use their phone to tell the time 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘So, just sent my watch off for a service…’ is closed to new replies.