Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)
  • One bike, one battery, one hundred miles
  • fasthaggis

The battery is built-in so swapping it or recharging it is not really going to happen so when it runs out, I’ll be pushing.

BruceWee

I’m confused too. Surely you* could manage it in 12 hours without even switching the motor on?

*By ‘you’ I mean Rob. Not the average rider. Definitely definitely not me.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I get the challenge,10000ft of climb over 100 miles within 12 hours means achieving an average speed around or above 8.5 miles per hour on for the most part a 50Lb ish bike?

Good luck Rob. Save some of that battery for the last third .

trailwagger
    Free Member

you really are missing out then.
    The Ebike can climb twice as much in your two hour window as well.

Sorry, I don’t want to derail the thread, but there you go again. Equating distance with more fun. Fun can only be measured in terms of time. So I have fun climbing for 10 minutes on a 1 mile climb. If youre on an ebike and climb 2 miles in the same time, it can never mean you had “more” fun than me, we both had 10 minutes of fun.

geex
    Free Member

Fun can’t really be measured at all einstein

BruceWee

Do you accept that many people consider descending more fun than climbing?

If the answer is yes then that’s why people consider e-bikes more fun.

If the answer is no… I don’t know. Perhaps I simply delude myself into thinking going downhill is more fun.

tjagain

Geex – doh – of course cadence comes into it as power = torque times revs! and the capacity of the battery is power x time.

What I said still applies tho – as the motor puts in power proportional to the power you put in then the slower you go the slower the battery gets used up. Yes spinning rather than mashing may make a small differnce ( as the motor is in a more efficient zone) but the key thing is how much power you are putting in.

chilled76
    Free Member

What you want is a bigger battery- challenge completed

geex
    Free Member

no TJ. You actually don’t understand what you’re talking about.
    some of what you said is correct. but not the parts you think are.
    Stop making false assumptions
    and stop talking rubbish.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

. I don’t “get” the challenge either.

Blummin heck. Never mind all the noise on this thread. I’m just gobsmacked that I’ve found a thread on ebikes where I agree with geex

Awesumz

trailwagger
    Free Member

Fun can’t really be measured at all einstein

Then you cannot quantify it to claim ebikes are more fun, Einstein!

tjagain

Geex – I clearly understand a lot more about this than you do. Never mind.

Maybe both of us are not explaining it well but the science does not lie. the more power you put in, the more power the motor puts in, the quicker the battery is used up.

Yes by using the most efficient revs then you will increase the amount of time the motor runs on one charge

trailwagger
    Free Member

Do you accept that many people consider descending more fun than climbing?
    If the answer is yes then that’s why people consider e-bikes more fun.

But I have fun on my bike when Im climbing, descending and riding on the flat. If ebike riders only have fun on the downhills then I guess Im winning.

BruceWee

The question was do you accept other people have more fun descending than climbing?

If I were you I’d be starting to get worried and paranoid now. ‘What if we all have the same amount of fun climbing but everyone else has even more fun going downhill? What if I have some sort of mental limit on the amount of fun I can have which is what is driving a wedge between me and the rest of the human race? What if this is what has been giving me a feeling of unease and disconnection all my life? What if my fun limit is steadily being reduced? Is this how people end up playing golf…’

swanny853

I think you’re all missing the obvious way to make an ebike battery last 100 miles.

Rob is just going to keep the speed above 15.5mph for the entire way.

Bez

I’m not sure why anyone is trying to define fun, given that surely we can all agree that sitting on a motorcycle until it runs out of fuel and then having to get off and push it halfway along the South Downs Way is absolutely not it.

geex
    Free Member

No TJ. You’re completely wrong. You haven’t even used the motor you’re arguing about so please just stop it. Because of this I don’t reeeeally want to get drawn into a pointless argument with you
    But… y’know…

power – torque x cadence

If I…
    A) output a steady 100w with a cadence of 50rpm for an hour
    or
    B) Output 100w with a cadence of 100rpm for an hour.

Which of the two will drain the battery more?

BruceWee

From my understanding that electric motors generally are more efficient the faster they spin I would say B.

Edit: Actually, I meant A. You want the motor to spin faster for greater efficiency.

geex
    Free Member

i wasn’t asking you

let Jezza answer

swanny853

That’s a thought actually. If the motor pulls less power at lower speeds and none above the cutoff, is the trick to push hard to stay above 15.5 as much as possible and then ride very slowly everywhere else?

Given that’s pretty much how I’ve done the SDW in the past (albeit not at 15mph), that doesn’t seem a million miles off?

edit: for what it’s worth, I think this is fairly pointless but also quite interesting. I’m all for it! Not normally given to being a huge fan of ebikes myself, but still curious.

BruceWee

I’m not sure why anyone is trying to define fun, given that surely we can all agree that sitting on a motorcycle until it runs out of fuel and then having to get off and push it halfway along the South Downs Way is absolutely not it.

Not really trying to define fun. Just trying to get trailwagger to accept that there are some perverts out there who prefer descending to climbing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here you go, a battery in a back pack.

Solv’ed the prob’ed

nick1962
    Free Member

Can’t he just sellotape a solar panel on his back and charge his battery as he travels?

nick1962
    Free Member

Surely some brainy IT millenial can design an app that just sorts it all ?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Not really trying to define fun. Just trying to get trailwagger to accept that there are some perverts out there who prefer descending to climbing.

I know this. Its why uplifts are so popular. What I am disputing is the claim that always gets made about ebikes, that you have more fun as you can go further in the same amount of time. Its absolute nonsense.

tjagain

Geex – you re missing something very important from your equations. ( the speed at which the bike is travelling)Never mind. You need to understand the differnces between Amps, Watts,Amp hours and and Watt hours

100W is 100W. The only difference the speed makes is the efficiency of the electric motor.

chiefgrooveguru

If you had a Turbo Levo you’d just tell the app your weight, how far you’re riding and how much you’re climbing and it’ll manage the battery usage so it doesn’t run out of power.

Or on the flat or downhill you leave it in unpowered mode and on the climbs you put it in eco. Should be fine.

If it runs out of power then you just pedal it like a normal bike with some moderately heavy panniers.

chiefgrooveguru

And climbing on e-bikes is lots of fun because they’re faster so become more technically challenging. Yes, they’re over more quickly but that’s ok because you can do more of them.

Bez

is the trick to push hard to stay above 15.5 as much as possible and then ride very slowly everywhere else?

But I still don’t get it.

If the aim is “to get an ebike from Winchester to Eastbourne on one charge inside 12 hours” then surely it doesn’t matter when the motor is and isn’t being used. I don’t see how it proves either how good the motor is (if the rider’s having to work hard to avoid using it) or how good the rider is (if they’re being assisted by a motor). If it’s an attempt to show how far a bike can go on battery power alone then what’s the point in pushing it afterwards, and if it’s an attempt to show that someone can ride the SDW in under 12 hours then it’s been done without a motor.

I HAZ A BAMBOOZLE

trailwagger
    Free Member

And climbing on e-bikes is lots of fun because they’re faster so become more technically challenging. Yes, they’re over more quickly but that’s ok because you can do more of them.

Exactly the sort of nonsense I`m talking about.

Bez

Is arguing about the definition of fun more fun if you type quicker?

chiefgrooveguru

“Exactly the sort of nonsense I`m talking about.”

I don’t understand why this is nonsense. Could you explain?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

TBH I’m of the opinion that if Rob thinks it is worth doing then it is. Its not like he doesn’t know the route. I believe he’s done it many times. Sometimes many times on the same ride.
    My suspicion is he could do it carrying the bloody thing.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I don’t understand why this is nonsense. Could you explain?

Why would riding faster with a motor make it more technically challenging than trying to clear it under your own power?
    You then say its over more quickly (referring to time) and then say it ok because you can do more of them.
    This is my point, going further in the same amount of time doesn’t mean you have more fun. If we both climbed for twenty minutes then we experienced twenty minutes of fun each. You do not have more fun by going further.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You should fit a dynamo hub and charge up the battery from that.

BruceWee

trailwagger, do you accept that some people have more fun going down compared to going up? Do you accept that ebikes increases your ratio of time spent descending to time spent climbing?

If the answer to these questions is yes I really don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.

trailwagger
    Free Member

trailwagger, do you accept that some people have more fun going down compared to going up? Do you accept that ebikes increases your ratio of time spent descending to time spent climbing?

ok, last post as its not really what the thread is about.

Take two riders who hate climbing and love descending. If one is ebiked and the other not, then yes the ebiker will have more fun in the given time.

Lots of bike riders have fun climbing as well as descending. In this case the ebiker doesn’t have more fun just because he can go further.

simondbarnes

In this case the ebiker doesn’t have more fun just because he can go further.

But they may have more fun because climbing faster is more fun / engaging 🙂

Jordan

I wish I could afford an ebike…..then I might start to find climbing fun 🙁

robcolliver
    Free Member

Hi all – sorry to put you through the ‘I hate ebikes’ thing all over again – this is just a bit of fun cooked up over a pint and meant to be just another way of getting out and riding.
    I had to laugh over a few of the replies especially eddiebaby’s – will I have to do it on a unicycle next?
    I have had the bike since November (and have to give it back soon) so I’ve been practicing on getting the best out of the battery and I will be riding the flat sections (I know some of the northern scribes think the entire route is flat) under my own steam to make the distance.

Its a totally factory bike except the saddle – the OE was good for about 6 hours for my ass so I changed it to a Prologo Tri, I changed the tyres to Rocket Ron’s and have left the grips, dropper and massive brakes as it came to me.

Maybe I could have been clearer on the goal – I really don’t want to hike a bike it at all, but some of the steep bits (Chanctonbury, through the woods near the A27 etc) are hike a bike normally for me and I wasn’t planning to drain the battery on these little bits, so will be pushing these.

The weather is settled, keep an eye on the SPOT tracker and I hope my pace doesn’t fall of a cliff around Cocking…..out training and going downhill, having fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘One bike, one battery, one hundred miles’ is closed to new replies.