Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • On-One Space Chicken
  • AlexSimon

I’m not sure I can bring myself to buy an On-One after all the CS experiences my friends and forum members on here have had, but I have to say this bike interests me.

27.5 Monster

700C

There’s something about that fact they’ve put stealth dropper routing on there that means business.

Not amazingly cheap at the moment (I could just about build a budget Mason for similar), but we all know how quickly that can change at on-one/planet-x 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I like that

funkmasterp

I like the look of it too. On one’s prices seem a bit, well, normal at the moment. If it was cheaper I would be tempted. I’ve always been put off buying anything from them due to the number of horror stories I’ve read on here and elsewhere.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Planet X had a price promise throughout February….SALE tomorrow!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks cool, although the XLA is more my price range!

Northwind

That’s pretty handsome, I’m a sucker for a skinwall.

the-muffin-man

There’s something about that fact they’ve put bought an off the shelf frame with stealth dropper routing on there that means business they got lucky.

🙂

funkmasterp

Is that definitely what they do, just buy bog standard frames and slap decals on them as opposed to designing their own? I’ve heard it mentioned a few times now. Puts me off them even more if that’s the case.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is that definitely what they do, just buy bog standard frames and slap decals on them as opposed to designing their own? I’ve heard it mentioned a few times now. Puts me off them even more if that’s the case.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Some of their frames are their own designs but to save costs they don’t retain the rights to the moulds, so they come up in other places too.

Some of their frames are completely their own.

Some are just open mould frames. Whether they do any work on the layup or other factors in the design is speculation.

thepodge
    Free Member

Skinwalls make any bike look better.

Some of their stuff is / was off the shelf, weren’t they selling exactly the same frame as one of the pro brands that won something back in the day?

Some of their stuff is tweaked off the shelf, eg same front end but different rear.

Some of their stuff is 100% their own.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

looks like an Open UP to me.

thepodge
    Free Member

Other than the chainstays, seat stays, seat tube, yeah it looks like and Open Up

vinnyeh

Other than the chainstays, seat stays, seat tube, yeah it looks like and Open Up

And the fact that it’s 1x only.
    Belies all the versatility marketing bullshit- it’s just a toy really..

AlexSimon

And the fact that it’s 1x only.
    Belies all the versatility marketing bullshit- it’s just a toy really..

Well firstly all my bikes are toys.
    Secondly – 1x with a proper range is pretty good. Unless you want to pedal the road descents maybe.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted by it too, not at its current price though.

If it is just an off the peg catalogue frame with a new paintjob, anyone know a chinese site that is selling something similar?

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm I like that but £2k for a full bike and £1k for a frame, they’re having a laugh.

AlexSimon

Gary_M – Member

mmm I like that but £2k for a full bike and £1k for a frame, they’re having a laugh. Only because we know a) What On-One are like and b) How much it will eventually be (though to be fair they haven’t discounted their Ti Adventure/CX bikes).

If you were just browsing for an adventure bike, you might well think that looks like the best value 2k bike. Maybe

stumpy01

Space Chicken? Is it really called Space Chicken?

That’s even worse than that Bish Bash Bosh nonsense….

It actually looks quite nice (without those ridiculous skinwall tyres), but it’s like they are having a massive piss-take with the names….

whippersnapper
    Free Member

It’s a far less refined version of but if you can’t see what they have been inspired by (copied?) you’re kidding yourself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some of their stuff is / was off the shelf, weren’t they selling exactly the same frame as one of the pro brands that won something back in the day?

Wasn’t their original TT bike used by TDF teams when their sponsors didn’t do TT bikes?

It’s a far less refined version of but if you can’t see what they have been inspired by (copied?) you’re kidding yourself.

Hetchins circa 1950?

1x – check
    wibbly chainstays – check

johnnystorm

Looks identical to the one edge sports are doing:

Northwind

Obviously a very close relative but it doesn’t have the second hose/dropper routing so not quite identical

wrecker
    Free Member

I like it, but not £2K like it.

funkmasterp

I like the name. Much better than the boring, car like names most bikes get given. I probably wouldn’t have looked at this thread if not for the name. Each to their own though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I like it, but not £2K like it.

+1

£599 for the frame, id take one

slowster
    Free Member

Someone at On One is presumably a fan of Bleak Expectations.

wrecker
    Free Member

If they popped a half decent looking steel frame on it and charged £1200, or perhaps a Ti frame at £1600, I’d have one.

scotroutes

Apt

honourablegeorge

Would quite like that when it gets discounted. No point buying it now though.

AlexSimon

It’s funny. I’ve been looking around at other bikes and this is actually very competitive, but for anyone that’s had email alerts for the past couple of years, on-one have made their pricing such a joke that you already see it as a £1500-1600 bike.

Anyway – as this is a pre-order, I can’t see it being included in the easter discounts, but I’ll be keeping an eye out either way.

ahwiles
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Space Chicken? Is it really called Space Chicken? … but it’s like they are having a massive piss-take with the names….

daft names and on-one go back to the dawn of time.

(iirc, their first frame was called ‘the gimp’, about 18 years ago…?)

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve seriously considered droppers on a CX bike for General Peaks exploring before now, even given thought to where I’d put the remote…

Bravo for doing this I think. Otoh, it’s too much money right now. Maybe in a few months when it’s £800 less…

AlexSimon

even given thought to where I’d put the remote…

Easy for me given that I currently ride everything on the crosstops 🙂
    Hurry up Hope with that hydro system!

babble
    Free Member

And the prettiest of all, the aluminium/carbon ultegra hydro disc endurance:

sq225917
    Free Member

A few Space Chicken facts.

We were well into this design before the One-up appeared. It’s Dave’s personal baby, his bike for the riding he does, so it doesn’t have to make sense. We aren’t making large numbers of them, the frame is expensive to produce so I wouldn’t hold your breath for price miracles.

It’s a real hoot to ride especially as moustached 650.

drlex
    Free Member

I’m liking it – threaded BB a bonus.
    If I hadn’t ordered a Bokeh frame, I’d be v. interested.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

We aren’t making large numbers of them, the frame is expensive to produce so I wouldn’t hold your breath for price miracles.

“lots in stock” – i can add 99 to my basket (medium, anthracite)

with the fish bash bosh medium, lemon and lime “lots in stock” i can only add 28 to my basket

so either the stock thing is wrong for just the space chicken, or there is a shit tonne of stock and discounts will be imminent……

sq225917
    Free Member

There aint 100 available in total, it’s just a site bug

dirtyrider
    Free Member

get on with discounting it before i buy something else 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘On-One Space Chicken’ is closed to new replies.