Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • On-One Space Chicken
  • johnnystorm

There’s always the Edge Sports one that looks the same if you don’t mind blue. They also seem to have a Rango frame too.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

not on the website?

johnnystorm

….and so on.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Thought you meant these guys

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/

RustyNissanPrairie

‘Space Chicken’??????

Colour schemes and names by primary school kids, no bike company boils my piss more than brand whoring On-One /PlanetX

superjohn71
    Free Member

‘Dave the boss loves an auction’……. Especially in a Chinese frame factory. 😀

jonnyboi

We were well into this design before the One-up appeared. It’s Dave’s personal baby, his bike for the riding he does, so it doesn’t have to make sense. We aren’t making large numbers of them, the frame is expensive to produce so I wouldn’t hold your breath for price miracles.

Run that by the ‘design’ bit again?

steezysix
    Free Member

We were well into the design paint selection before the One-up appeared.

Fixed it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Seems like alibaba are selling them for $400-$600?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There aint 100 available in total, it’s just a site bug

26 medium and 27 large then, no sales yet? been the same for a couple of weeks since i said there was 100 off each

no discount yet?

liam1974

Give it a few months and they will be knocking them out cheap to get rid of them to make way for another badly named catalogue bike with a dodgy paint job.

funkmasterp

Still a grand for the frame and fork. Is it definitely the same frame as those outlined above? Seems like a bit of a crap thing to do if it is. I’ve heard all the stories, but never actually bought anything from On One. It just seems a bit dishonest if that’s what they are actually doing.

Mr naive here expecting anything more from a company 😐

duckman

Oh dear! On One’s head of propaganda comes on here and lies…gets caught out.. 😳

iamtheresurrection

iamtheresurrection

funkmasterp – Member
    Still a grand for the frame and fork. Is it definitely the same frame as those outlined above? Seems like a bit of a crap thing to do if it is.

I’m not exactly an On-One apologist, their website and hyperbole drives me nuts so I don’t shop there very often anymore (although I do have an Inbred hooked up to a FollowMe Tandem), but what are you expecting from a retailer?

The costs below are absolute guesses, I’m not in the cycle trade, but I reckon they’ll be pretty close. Lets say they buy the frame for £450 including shipping (nett of import tax which I’m pretty sure will be recovered as input VAT).

Selling at £999

Deductions and allowances per unit
    Output VAT £167
    Warehousing and staff processing costs £30
    Warranties and returns write downs £50
    Marketing £100 (allowing for future promos or end of line clearances write downs/write offs)
    Cost of frame £450
    Delivery to customer £10
    Total deductions £807

So, selling at full retail they’ll make £192. Or, at least they will before Corporation Tax, another 20% assuming a year end profit, so £160 profit.

The director then pays himself a dividend, let’s say it’s about 30% tax – so £123 at the end of it all, for considerable risk and investment. He should open a chippy instead…

AlexSimon

None of those catalogue frames are identical to the on-one, so they’ve tweaked at least some things.
    Chainstay shape
    Bottle boss positions (3rd set)
    Cable routing (dropper provision)
    Paint (which I like).
    1x-specific

Although tbh the cable routing looks like it’s not designed for UK brake positions, so maybe I’m wrong.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lets say they buy the frame for £450 including shipping

😆

iamtheresurrection

Yeah, I know. Really I have no idea if it’s £250 or £450 cost inc shipping.

The point I was trying to make is it’s still a pretty poor return for a warehouse full of risk. The tone of the thread in parts was somehow it was all a bit underhand – I just don’t see that (hyperbole aside).

funkmasterp

Considering somebody from On One has posted at the top of this page speaking about the design of the frame I’m sticking by my comment. Don’t claim to have designed something if that’s not actually the case. That would be dishonest in my eyes. I hope I’m wrong though.

jonnyboi

On a second view I’ll concede that they have tweaked the basic design, selected different options from the catalogue (bottle bosses, extra internal routing, removing front mech) and the colour scheme is lovely.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody good luck to anyone who can make a few bob by buying cheap and selling expensive. I would think less of them not to do so.
    Equally bypassing them is a good idea as well if you can.
    What would make me buy one over the alternatives is the relative ( :wink:) security. Much easier to go to Rotherham and bang on their desk than go the China. You also know that no one will sting you for import duties etc. I have mixed opinions about PX. Never let me down, indeed been very helpful but obviously some others find different.
    As for the bike. I like it. Its not black which is a bonus and who is worried about a name FFS? Not buying one though.

sq225917
    Free Member

Yeh, there’s a few framesets out there that look like the Space Chicken, but none of them are the same. Look a little more closely at those rear triangle clusters, the seat tube and BB junction, the fork, bottle boss mounts, dropper cable routing, lack of any FM mount, mudguard and rack mounts. That’s before you look at how they’re put together, what carbon is used and the layup schedule. Not forgetting that most of the ones linked on this page use an aero seat tube…

It’s an on-spec bike at the right price, they’ll start selling soon enough.

Funkmaster, the Space Chicken went through an iterative design process where aspects of the design were considered, altered, evaluated and then included in the production version. That’s design…

johnnystorm

Couple of hundred quid off. Looking more promising!

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

@sq225917

The blurb talks about 29er or 650b wheels and 48mm tyres. The 48 refers to 650b only, presumably. What’ll it take in 700c?

funkmasterp

Funkmaster, the Space Chicken went through an iterative design process where aspects of the design were considered, altered, evaluated and then included in the production version. That’s design…

I’m glad to be wrong then. Good to know it’s not just a badged up catalogue model. Thanks for clarifying.

Edit – and I actually like the name 😉

STATO
    Free Member

I’m glad to be wrong then. Good to know it’s not just a badged up catalogue model. Thanks for clarifying.

Even at a glance you can see its clearly not the same frame as those pictured above.

Its possible it uses stock shape forms in some locations but its not a stock frame available elsewhere (at least at the moment, it might in the future, depends what rights they have over the mould). Once again though youve got PX throwing frames out with little info available, leaving everyone guessing, or (as is their main sales model), buying blind because its cheap.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

tempted

Ioneonic

Frameset info says takes 38mm in 700c (without mudguards I presume)

sq225917
    Free Member

Dougal, you are correct 38’s.

Stato, what else would you like to know about it? I can try a few more tyre combo’s. I’d rather say what rubber fits on what rims than just throw out numbers for max tyre size, as it’s so rim specific.

AlexSimon

So full bikes down to £1799 and frame down to £699.
    Looking better

AlexSimon

sq225917 – any pics of the alternate colour? Flame Grilled?

piemonster

the frame is expensive to produce so I wouldn’t hold your breath for price miracles.

Well, I wouldn’t have held my breath for 4 weeks admittedly.

But I see the frameset is now 30% off!

jonnyboi

They must have spent that time working on an interative production efficiency project with their chosen manufacturer and design partner.

piemonster

You mean, put stickers on them?

jackal
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of the 650b wheeled version. Comedy names aside there’s no getting away from its a cracking looking bike.
    If they were around 1500ish I’d seriously consider one.
    How would this compare to say a white gisburn/friston?
    I’m wanting a drop bar do it all bike, but reasonably slack. Had a couple of cx bikes and didn’t really get on with them.

Bregante

I’m wanting a drop bar do it all bike, but reasonably slack

I’m still loving the look of the NS Rag+

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m still loving the NS Rag+

me too. Arrive in May apparently.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ooooh they sold one – medium stock dropped from 26 to 25

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘On-One Space Chicken’ is closed to new replies.