Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • OLED or QLED
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pana is probably a good choice, get the dolby vision one…

I wouldn’t buy anything from a company whose first name is Lucky, even if they tried to hide it by change the words of their abbreviated name…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No Dolby Vision – so that’s the vast majority of Netflix HDR content, some Amazon and all iTunes HDR content out of the window – and believe me – HDR makes far, far greater difference to image quality than 4K.

I run a Philipps Momentum 42 HDR monitor for gaming – it’s display HDR1000, it streams all of the netflix HDR content in HDR10 including the Dolby Vision titles.

sadexpunk

bumping this for one of my lads, hes after a 65″ tv mainly to be used for xbox duties. he says the current tv suffers from blurring and lagging.

his question to me was dad, what should i buy, OLED, QLED or 4k? no idea lad but i know some people who will…..

had a quick read through this and looks like im getting ‘dont buy samsung’, and ‘go for OLED’. and HDR? (none of this makes any sense to me, never looked into tv technology)

any current makes/models to recommend him? he says hed be prepared to pay a grand for something superduper, but would be happier around the £600/700 mark. im an tight old fart and would love to tell him that he can get similar for £300 😉

thanks

scuttler

bumping this for one of my lads, hes after a 65″ tv mainly to be used for xbox duties. he says the current tv suffers from blurring and lagging.

No idea about OLED, QLED, nextLED, whateverLED but many modern TVs have a gaming display mode that turns off all the gubbins that introduces lag. Have you tried that first?

zilog6128

any current makes/models to recommend him? he says hed be prepared to pay a grand for something superduper,

get on HUKD & set up an alert. A grand will get you a very decent latest LG or Panasonic 55″ OLED (if on offer!), going to have to pay more or get an older model if he wants 65″. There have been a lot of eBay vouchers lately that you can use for e.g. 10% off Currys’ eBay store (although obviously you’ll arguably get better service/warranty from JL or Richer Sounds).

If he has a decent amp/sound system already you can get the cheapest model in each range which will have the same quality panel but more basic speakers. Worth doing a bit of research! Lots of chat/armchair experts etc in the comments on the HUKD threads, lots of useful info there too if you can be bothered to wade through them!

I think LG are probably the best combination of quality & value, Panasonic best outright quality.

Obviously you can get a decent non-OLED telly for a lot less, may well be fine for gaming, I think if he’s going to be using it a lot & can afford it might as well go for the best though.

sadexpunk

many modern TVs have a gaming display mode that turns off all the gubbins that introduces lag. Have you tried that first?

he says hes tried that, no joy. his current tv is over 10 years old bog standard samsung apparently.

get on HUKD & set up an alert. A grand will get you a very decent latest LG or Panasonic 55″ OLED (if on offer!), going to have to pay more or get an older model if he wants 65″.

info passed on but i fear the worst, he’s got an itchy wallet and is talking about looking in asdas and currys today :-/ so why ask me then boy?? 😀

Cougar

is talking about looking in asdas and currys

Whatever he does, don’t get a supermarket special from a brand you’ve never heard of.

Have a look on Richer Sounds or John Lewis.

servo
    Free Member

Have had an LG 55 OLED since December and every now and again think “this is a great picture!”, especially Netflix.

LG make the OLED panels for Panasonic, I believe.

muddyfool

LG make the OLED panels for Panasonic, I believe.

And Sony, Phillips, Toshiba and a load more. I think I heard that at one point I think they were the only OLED manufacturer but not sure if that’s still true.

We have an LG 55″ OLED, and it is amazing. But whether it’s worth it depends on budget I guess. If it’s mainly for gaming, it’s worth looking at reviews for input lag and other gaming-specific things. This site has a lot of detailed reviews: https://www.rtings.com/

Kamakazie

LG make OLED panels for everyone!

merk
    Free Member

Look for a TV with HDMI 2.1 and Variable Refresh Rate.

AV Forums is the STW equivalent for audio visual heads – a wealth of advice and opinions!

merk
    Free Member

OLED carries a risk of screen burn in. This is usually excluded from warranties or insurance cover.

If you are likely to have static content on screen for a while, e.g. gaming HUD or Sky Sports News logo, I’d think twice.

I bought a Samsung Q85R (QLED) and I’m happy with it. QLED outperforms OLED in bright rooms i.e. in most living room environments. OLED is great for dark home cinema rooms.

zilog6128

If you are likely to have static content on screen for a while, e.g. gaming HUD or Sky Sports News logo, I’d think twice.

is that a real risk, or an urban myth? Don’t computer games these days have a lengthy cut-scene every few minutes anyway? I remember the RM Nimbus computers at school 30 years ago had it, but they’d sit on the same login screen for days sometimes in between being used!

FuzzyWuzzy

The main issue people have with Samsung QLED is they were marketing it as though it was some next gen OLED type tech, rather than just a minor improvement on LED tech. From reviews I’ve read QLEDs do very well (although you generally want to go with one of the top couple of models within their range for a particular size as the processing power drops significantly in the cheaper models ).

I don’t game on mine so I can’t say if an OLED would work well (although I’ve watched family members playing Battlefront on a PS4 on a 55″ OLED and it looked fine to me but might be different if your actually playing.

I would have thought a decent LED panel would be what he wants (whether that’s a QLED or standard LED from LG/Panasonic/Sony etc. though I don’t know). Look for low ms response times (1ms ideally).

As for the post above – OLED is perfectly fine in normally lit rooms IME, it certainly doesn’t need a dark room which I know isn’t actually what you’re saying but might be the implication some people get from it.

sadexpunk

well he’s actually listened to us 😀

hes now ordered…..
    john lewis telly
    also listened to his mams advice to pay £80 for an accidental breakage insurance (nipper on the way)

he wants to wall mount it, will any old wall mount do as long as it says ‘for 65 inch’, or are there some makes better and sturdier than others? he’ll need to get this right as itll be a big old unit 😀

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘OLED or QLED’ is closed to new replies.