Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • OLED or QLED
  • eruptron
    Free Member

So starting to look at getting a new TV but not to well up on the tech so need some help.
    We need a TV that can cope well with our viewing. We want a TV that is able to cope well with motion. 80% of our viewing/use is Sport.(football and cricket mainly) The other vice is Xbox FPS games mostly COD.
    Currently the main TV is a Panasonic plasma 9 years old.
    I think LED is out of the question so this leaves the entry level Oleds and Qleds and 55″ The Samsung QE55Q70R seems to get good reviews but am I better with OLED?

tomhoward

IIRC QLED is OLED, Samsung license the OLED tech from LG.

zilog6128

They’re 2 competing (and different) technologies. OLED has better blacks which would probably swing it for me.

tomhoward

Whats the difference?

kelron
    Free Member

They’re different. QLED is essentially the same tech as other LCD TVs with an extra layer that improves colour and brightness. It’s more how Samsung market their high end TVs rather than something new.

OLED is different in that pixels can emit different levels of light, meaning you get true blacks in dark scenes and excellent contrast.

Go into Curry’s (to look) or Richer Sounds (if you want advice) and check some out. Personally I prefer OLED but Samsung’s QLEDs do manage higher max brightness which might matter depending on your room. There’s also the issue of burn in on OLEDs which would be a concern for sports and gaming especially, as its more likely to happen with fixed graphics regularly on screen.

I looked at both and ultimately ended up with a much cheaper TV, but around the £1000 mark the OLED TVs were the clear winner in image quality. At the real top end it was harder to tell the difference, at least in a well lit store.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I recently went through this and decided on an OLED. However, we don’t use it for gaming. We chose it for the better blacks and wider viewing angle. Our screen will never get direct sunlight so doesn’t need the extra brightness of a QLED.

Having said that, if I was gaming, or watching channels with fixed logos or ticker tape scrolls on them, I might be more concerned about burn-in and go QLED.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There’s not much between them LD OLED get the better reviews.

We bought an LG 65 OLED, and it is very nice.

95% of the time the picture is stunning, however it does still struggle with blacks at times and pixelate them and turn them gray.

QLED are supposed to be brighter but we have the screen pixel brightness turned down quite a lot on ours. We have never found overall brightness an issue.

You need to watch everything in HD or higher quality. SD TV is pretty horrible to watch.

We started looking at 55. In the end got 65 for same money. It’s big and does look too big in the room at times, but boy it’s impressive watching something on 65.

Gilesey
    Free Member

LG 65″ OLED here used for everything inc. many, many hours of PS4 & PC gaming. Is sublime and have never, ever regretted the eyewatering cost. OS and remote about the best I’ve used too.

Samsung’s deal with McAfee to put ‘security’ software (I don’t think it has anything to do with security) on everything, including their TVs means I’ll never buy another Samsung anything.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Have a look at the HDTVTest channel on YouTube, very knowledgeable guy. From what I gather OLED has a better overall picture, QLED is brighter and has a really good anti glare coating.

FuzzyWuzzy

Depends a bit on the budget but for gaming/sports I’d probably go with QLED as you’re not really making the most of an OLED, even more so if the budget meant you could get a 65″ QLED instead of a 55″ OLED. Unless you’re sitting right next to the screen then a 65″ makes a huge difference, especially with 4k content.

I have an OLED myself and it’s great (although I don’t game on it) but I watch a lot of 4k films and HDR content where you get more benefit from the blacks and contrast etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Go into Curry’s (to look) or Richer Sounds (if you want advice)

FFS don’t go to Richer Sounds for advice!

Find a Sevenoaks Sound and Vision or somewhere similar (Crampton and Moore) that has their sets set up somewhat decently and compare them yourself, and get decent advice.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t think either of them are quite as good as a Plasma at motion.

If you are gaming a lot or watching news channels or someone is using a music service like Apple Music and leaving the picture on them you will feel happier with the QLED, and the other area where Samsung are leading is in the screen filter – but that might be only on the top sets where it is better.

For me the winner at the moment is the Sony OLEDs as they have some very good processing to remove the banding effect from low quality/mismatched picture sources – it is even on the BluRay of The Martian.

This banding/posterisation can be bloody annoying, particularly if you have just bought an expensive TV.

It’s pretty much why I’ve still got my Panasonic Plasma – and I actually had a good upgrade to my picture quality when I moved from my Amazon Fire Box to an Apple 4k TV box, and if I run it 4k into my Oppo and then downscale to the TV I get even better results.

Watch HDTVTest as suggested.

The top Samsung competes pretty well with OLED but still has issues like crushing detail out of dark scenes –

Don’t forget to look at the Panasonic OLED – it has very accurate colors straight out of the box and decent prices can be found.

eruptron
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    I get the difference between Qled and Oled in terms of the basic tech with oled switching individual pixels on and off for the better black. I know that Qled is a better version of led.
    The Samsung I was looking at is a 2019 model and gets pretty good reviews. The LG one is a OLED and 2018 I think. The latest/cheapest LG oled 2019 is £2499 gulp.
    So the 2018 LG one is 55c8p about £1200
    I did start out looking an the Panasonic 802B but that seems to get quite a few bad reviews regarding motion blur.
    I’d hate to spend that sort of money and end up with something that can’t cope with the motion.
    Other thing is is that we rarely watch movies. We are more series watchers than movie watchers.

@Turnerguy
    whats wrong with Richersounds?

djflexure

Have a look at Vincent Teo’s reviews (above); I found them really helpful.This is my understanding:

1. Ambient room light and reflections – brighter better (LCD) plus antireflective coating. This might be more important than you think.
    2. Motion handling – dependent on companies motion processing hardware and software rather than OLED v LCD – Sony traditionally very good.
    3. Blacks in dark scenes – OLED can switch off each pixel, so has more control of black. On LCD a full array screen has zones that can be controlled independently. Many LCDs are not full array; they are lit from the side so have less control.
    4. TV software platform: some better than others but may not matter if you use a 3rd party like Apple TV.
    5. Size matters – I bought a smaller set two years ago (55″) and realised it was too small for the room.

The reviews will give you a good idea of what people are talking about when they compare sets and whether these things will matter to you. We ended up with a full array LCD from Sony and its simply stunning. Our room has a lot of glass so quite a bright environment. The android app is quite poor it has to be said, not unusable though. We use Apple TV most of the time and get BT sport, Sky sport – it all looks great, motion very good. Have also watched GOT which has its fair share of dark scenes and was surprised how good that was too.
    Movies like Free Solo and the Dawn Wall are incredible.

Flaperon

OLED tends to do a much better job with motion than LCD, in my opinion. Personal feeling is that when you see the two of them side by side there’s no comparison.

If you can get an OLED for your price point, do it.

djflexure

I don’t think that’s true – if you look through the Teo reviews he runs motion testcards so you can begin to appreciate which sets handle motion well. I seem to remember that reviews tended to highlight motion control as a relative weak point of the LG OLEDs that I was considering.

rsvtoddy
    Free Member

I have a 10 year old Panasonic plasma at home and it handles motion (sport) far better than my father’s 2 year old LG OLED. Before purchase you need to get a good test using the type of source material that you use at home.

If I was forced to buy a new TV now I would buy OLED but I’m sticking with the plasma as long as I can!

DezB
    Free Member

I just replaced a Panasonic Plasma with a Samsung non-OLED LED and the picture is just as good as the Plasma – Fast movement isn’t as well rendered, I admit, but as far as colour, blacks, whites whatever, I have no regrets in spending £500odd instead of £££KKKK for Q/OLED. For one thing, it’s only TV, for another, the picture is superb as it is.

eruptron
    Free Member

@RSVtoddy Yeah the Panny has been great struggles a bit in bright light but is now starting to get a bit glitch. switching itself off and on the other night next day lost a pixel line. Both faults have now stopped.
    Burn in seems to be a big hang up with OLED but I think looking at the reviews that seems to be blown a little out of proportion.
    Think it’s time I went and had a good look at whats out there.

eruptron
    Free Member

@DezB It’s only a TV yes and I would be happy to spend a lot less but I don’t want to be watching the football and cricket or playing COD and be suffering headaches and eye strain. That really would be a waste of money.

kelron
    Free Member

Motion is probably the most subjective part of image quality. There’s a lot of factors that affect it, panel type, refresh rate, response time, source, motion processing hardware and software.

For some people its impossible to ignore, others barely notice it.

DezB
    Free Member

My son says Fortnite was worse on the Plasma than the old Sony he has at his mum’s house.
    Where have you heard non OLED screens give eye-strain?? As I said, the picture is just as good, if not better than my Plasma, just slightly different.
    But, hey, it’s your money, I’m just giving my experience.

eruptron
    Free Member

@DezB I’ve not heard that it gives eye stain/headaches I have an LG 4k job we got for 250 when we joined Sky it’s a nice set but I struggle to watch sport and game on it because of the motion blur and have swapped it back to the old plasma which works far better for our viewing needs. So I would rather just use my money wisely. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wasn’t devaluing it or having a dig.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s difficult to choose without seeing them in the “real world” – we had a wander round Currys and all the OLEDs were massive and prominently displayed – the samples being displayed were quite clearly (and why wouldn’t they be?) designed to highlight the better aspects of the display and were all UltraHD. They’re the one’s they want you to buy of course. There was a good demo on a Sony TV, and I asked the sales fella if he could display the same thing on a Samsung and he gave some excuse why he couldn’t… the Sony was £200 more than the Samsung… anyway, I took a punt on the Samsung and I couldn’t be happier with it. A second or less of a rugby player going very slightly blurry really doesn’t spoil it. I’m sure an OLED would be awesome, if you have the spare readies 🙂

One thing definitely better on LED than Plasma is the display of SD images.

eruptron
    Free Member

@DezB yep need to see them. Been spoilt by the plasma. I really suffer when it comes to the motion blur thing. I only think that Oled is going to be nearest thing to the plasma in terms of the speed the image refreshes I could be wrong. If there is an LED out there that will do the job i would certainly consider it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@Turnerguy whats wrong with Richersounds?

what’s right with them ?

They are just a box shifter with mediocre staff and advice – you might get lucky but they are just going to push whatever they have in store.

I was getting my hair cut one day and this old guy came inm, sat next to me, and was describing his new £80 hdmi lead that was going to improve his TV picture massively – or so the guy at Richer Sounds had told him…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are sensitive to motion then that narrows down the field to basically only Sony 🙂

And also remove LG from consideration 🙂 And maybe anything that is not top-end Samsung.

Lastly, a lot of the top end Samsung sets from last year were returned because of bad panel consistency.

zilog6128

and was describing his new £80 hdmi lead that was going to improve his TV picture massively

What’s the problem? I’ve got one of them, best bang for your buck upgrade by far. As long as you’re not a muppet & plug it in the wrong way round!!

DezB
    Free Member

I will say, I’ve watched a stupid amount of sport (rugby and boxing) on my Samsung and I think I’ve seen the motion blur about 3 times and only on distance shots of rugby.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What’s the problem? I’ve got one of them, best bang for your buck upgrade by far

hmmm…

the hdmi standard is so tight that any cable is sufficient if it complies to the particular standard you are requiring. There’s been loads of tests showing this as well.

Maybe you were using a cable for a standard lower than you were trying to target ?

And which way round do you plug it in ??

DezB
    Free Member

And which way round do you plug it in ??

I think he was being funny. I do hope so anyway.

avdave2

We’ve got directional HDMI cables that cost a couple of hundred each, luckily its written on them which end is which.

timmys

OLED by a country mile for many, many reasons including but not limited to;

– QLED = LED + marketing
    – QLED = Samsung – no, no, no a thousand times no for many reasons
    – Samsung = No Dolby Vision – so that’s the vast majority of Netflix HDR content, some Amazon and all iTunes HDR content out of the window – and believe me – HDR makes far, far greater difference to image quality than 4K.

My 2017 LG OLED is just amazing, one of my best purchases ever. I waited 10 years to upgrade from a plasma as LED/LCD was not an option having seen them in other people’s houses.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

HDR makes far, far greater difference to image quality than 4K.

That’s exactly what my brother said. He was for the BBC in production/camera tech etc.

He has an LG OLED as do most of his colleagues apparently it’s the most future proof in terms of HDR standards

djflexure

– QLED = Samsung – no, no, no a thousand times no for many reasons

Not tied to Samsung. You can still buy a Sony LCD, get great motion, full array screen, Dolby vision etc. XF9005 takes some beating IMO and is a good price too for 65or 75″.

wheeliegood
    Free Member

I have LG OLED. Picture quality is fantastic, but make sure you get an extended warranty. These TV are susceptible to screen burn. High proportion affected around 18 months to 2 year mark. I was very careful with mine, previous 10 year plasma with no issues, but I got screen burn just after LG warranty ran out. LG class screen burn as user error and will not help. I had a currys 5 year warranty. Currys replaced the screen straight away ( 1500 repair), but many are getting stung. Loads of threads on AV forums about screen burn on these TV’s if you want to look into it further.

eruptron
    Free Member

So I’ve bumped this still undecided but I think that I’m going OLED also sticking with Panasonic. The five year manufacturer warranty is worth having and we got good service from them when the Plasma had a fault.
    Looked at a couple yesterday and LG with the cricket on was terrible.
    So Have 3 choices. the 802 the biggest issue with this is no dolby vision. We this actually cause me a problem though?
    The gz950b The set I would like but the cost. Advantage dolby, some more protection against burn in and retention. Cons cost
    Other option tx952b I have is the this just seems to be a 802 with a sound bar. I can get this for 1299 but as I have a surround sound doesn’t seem worth paying 125 more than the 802.
    Are the benefits of the gz950b worth the extra cost?

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Haven’t read the thread. OLED is genuinely different tech. Qled is a bullshit Samsung marketing term.

eruptron
    Free Member

Think it’s now more a which OLED thread than Oled v Qled.

wheeliegood
    Free Member

I don’t know the spec of the TV your are considering.. but Dolby vision is by far the best picture quality I have viewed on OLED. Beats 4k hands down imo. Netflix looks way better than sky Q as a result.
    Not all OLEDs offer Dolby vision.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘OLED or QLED’ is closed to new replies.