Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,874 total)
  • Not putting the heating on – how’s it going…?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The conservatory still gets warm if there’s any sunshine so thats great for drying clothes. Usuall give them 24h in there and they’ll be ironing dry in all but Dec/Jan/Feb. Then just bring them into the house to dry the last bit.

Does mean being organised as doing 2+ loads in a day makes it too humid so nothing dries.

mattyfez

Do the people in 12C houses just never wash their clothes? Ours take days to dry even with the heating on given it’s rained too much to ever refresh the air in the house. I put the duvet cover outside in the sun all day yesterday and it had barely dried at all.

I tend to hang it out, but it does need to be out all day, and some stuff like jeans need to be finished off inside, but I’m wary of doing stuff indide due to the additional humitdity, but if its been hung outside litteraly all day, most of the moisture has gone.
    Bear in mind if its cold out, clothes can still feel damp even when they are not really, due to the low air temps.

fazzini

13 degrees in the living room. Can’t justify CH for one person as the rest of the Fazzini mob are away. Oil rad it is then. 😬

simondbarnes

Do the people in 12C houses just never wash their clothes?

I use a tumble dryer. Costs about 75p a week. Cycling clothes get a fast spin and then hung over an airer. They seem to dry just fine

mrdestructo

Today (Saturday) in the mountain city where I live is max 25c, min 16c.

Wednesday is forecasting for max 4c min -2c.

Government news says to watch out for a shock 10-12c drop. But this is an 18c drop!!!!!! They know it is, but probably aren’t allowed to give bad news.

My patio doors to my balcony don’t latch as they’re the wrong size for the wall opening. They rattle in the wind. How the owner (I’m a tenant) accepted this from the builders I do not know. I might as well be living in a council garage (with better lighting!)

Electric blanket goes on the bed and all the hot water bottles to be found asap. Both my portable oil radiators are out and tested working. My winter suitcase came down but it disappointed me, even if the dog sat on my clothes and gave me a plaintive look. Even he knows what’s coming!

The locals are saying that, after a freaky couple of hot summers, we are now going to get at least one painful winter.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

what was a nah not until november, has become a **** it, it’s nearly december, even in an 80/90’s detached, even after a night shift, without the heating on to take the edge off, i was waking up cold in the day which is **** miserable when you need to go back to work,

retrorick

Gas central heating hasn’t been used yet. Other forms of heating have been used including chocolate biscuits and tea.

daveylad
    Free Member

15 degrees currently in the lounge. Feels fine. When it gets colder I’ll wear more layers.
    Heating is unlikely to be used. It wasn’t last year bar a few weeks in November before I got the bill.
    Plus the rebate will pay for 2/3’s of my yearly leccy bill. Cheers Liz!

andrewh
    Free Member

Just lit my fire (my only heating) for the second time this winter. It is quite cold here now though, first proper frost.
    Was 12 deg inside when I came in, around freezing outside. 14deg after only two logs.
    1880s flat, Scottish Borders.
    My wood is free so not finances holding me back, genuinely not felt the need, apart from a couple nights where I was tempted but too much faff half an hour before bedtime, and bed is cosy, 13.5tog down duvet, just sleeping kn a t shirt. The flats below and both sides insulate me, my loft is very well insulated. Windows are a bit drafty but I’ve got some new seals ready to fit.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Not so sure this is relevant to this thread, but when I bought my first house and was paying the mortgage on my own in Aberystyth 10 years ago, I never once put the heating on. The house got as low as 6c inside in winter at one point. Sleeping with a hat and gloves on. I saved money on heating and electricy bills (to spend on bikes), but it was absolutely f’ing miserable. I still have the bikes though.

Flaperon

Can we split this thread into the people who genuinely can’t afford to run the heating this year (for whom I have unlimited sympathy) and the masochists?

If ventilation is poor in the house (ie it’s not a leaky old building) and you’re not running a dehumidifier I think you’ll end up regretting it when you’re bleaching the mould off the walls and ceiling in three months.

Harry_the_Spider

Interesting point about damp^.

We’ve been using our heating as little as possible and the house is starting to rot! 🙁

fossy

Just some numbers for comparisons

3 bed house (late 90’s, well insulated), 4 adults (4 cats). There is someone WFH 4 of the 5 days (we alternate).

Electric Consumption, on average last 3 months around 12KWh a day (2 gaming PC’s on for 6 hours a day which use about 4 KWh between them – yes a third of my bill). That’s slightly increased this month to 16KWh a day – additional drying clothes with dehumidifier, lighting and some heat for the conservatory (where I work). Bill for electric has been £130pm, but will rise to £160 for November, or just over £5 a day.

Gas consumption was very low over the summer (gas hob), September £40, October (new Prices £60 at 570 KWh for month) – so around 20 KWh a day in October. We’ve had the heating on, and last couple of weeks it’s been on during the day as we’re all been ill (Covid) – that’s increased to 36 KWh or £3.80 a day (estimated just over £100 for November)

Combined £260. That will probably climb to £300pm Dec to Feb. My DD’s £320pm and we’re about £700 in credit.

September’s combined bill was £180 but that was the older rates.

Our useage is ‘opposite’ to the ‘average’ Gas is LOW but electricity is HIGH based on the Energy Trust figures.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Interesting Fossy ta assume you posted here from my closed thread 🙂 I will check consumption in KWh

Led’s throughout but two big tvs and kids laptops / phones etc. Plus tumble on every other day etc. Living life as normal ish for the time being but Nov has been fairly mild so far

Lots of things I can and should do like turning off things at the plug, replacing blown double glazing (prob will have the biggest impact for sure)

My original other post below for ref:

So I know there are so so many variables but would like to see if I can benchmark my November gas / elec usage against others with similar ish variable (if that is at all possible!) to see if its on the low / normal / high side before I go throwing money at improving things for marginal gains

3 bed terrace, 2 kids, 2 cats
    Standard 1978 ex council build – brick downstairs (cavity), cladding upstairs, crap double glazed windows (probably all blown)

15kW greenstar condension boiler set to flow of 70 (return about 65 deg C so not condensing right now but any Lower House feels cold)

Heating on 21 deg. TRV set to 3 in each bedroom (downstairs apart from living room set to 2)

Bill for 34 days (end Oct to end Nov)
    Elec £86
    Gas £132
    Works out at £6.50 ish per day

Heating on from 5.30am to 7.30am then on again at 3pm to about 9.30pm (water heats same time… Old gravity fed system)

So does that seem alot / to be expected or low?

Hard to compare previous years usage as change of supplier means all historic data lost

molgrips
    Free Member

We were looking at about £120/mo for gas with the heating on 18-ish all day. I’ve now knocked it down to 16 during the day. With my boiler flow turned down that was taking some time to heat back up again, several hours, so it was somewhat pointless. But it seems to be working better with a slightly higher flow temp. I need the pump on low to get a temperature differential of about 18C across the boiler, which is good because it’s nearly silent on low. Nearly 15 years of living here and listening to the pump rumble away, and it was actually worse for the heating anyway!

The other downside is that the hallway where the stat is is warming up before the living room has had a chance to do so. I had originally thought it would be worth fitting smart TRVs to the living room but now I’m not so sure. Because my pump isn’t smart enough to alter its flow and my boiler cannot modulate much, if I were to turn off some of the rooms I’d run the risk of making the boiler less efficient and losing any saving.

wooksterbo

Can we split this thread into the people who genuinely can’t afford to run the heating this year (for whom I have unlimited sympathy) and the masochists?

If ventilation is poor in the house (ie it’s not a leaky old building) and you’re not running a dehumidifier I think you’ll end up regretting it when you’re bleaching the mould off the walls and ceiling in three months.

Valid point. Our utility room is currently being renovated. No heating but nigh on airtight. It gets down to just under 15c in there over night and when I was doing some insulation taping and other gap filling/sealing the humidity was skyrocketing and I could see moisture forming on the coldest parts of the room. Had the dehumidifier on in there every night just in case at the moment. We’ve got extracts in all wet rooms as well as fresh air vents in all other rooms so humidity in the rest of the house is ok + keeping the heating on less and not letting it drop below 17 in the hallway (currently needs to be on around 20-45 mins a day if low temps outside).

I dread to think of the state of some homes if low temps internally and a reasonably high humidity.

molgrips
    Free Member

@doncorleoni

15kW greenstar condension boiler set to flow of 70 (return about 65 deg C so not condensing

That’s a 5C drop across the boiler, it should be about 20C. Two possibilities:

– The flow is too high – try turning your pump down. This has helped us a lot
    – The automatic bypass valve is set at too low a pressure or is faulty. This is there to protect the boiler if all the radiators are off, but at least in our house the central ones don’t have TRVs. If it opens when it shouldn’t then hot water goes straight back to the boiler and prevents condensing.

If your downstairs stays cold and the upstairs is hot, then your radiators need balancing.

My boiler is set to give about a 65C output, which means the rads are at 60C at the top (about 50-52C at the bottom, the bigger ones at least) and this is enough to produce plenty of heat.

Because I’m a bit of a geek I bought a cheap thermocouple thermometer with two probes from Amazon, and taped the ends to two clamps so the tips poked out of the tape. I then clamped them onto the boiler’s flow and return pipe and left it in-situ so I can check the temps any time I want. I also already had an IR thermometer that I can use for checking rad temps and it’s also handy for finding cold spots around windows/doors etc, but it was also fairly cheap.

You could check the temperature on whichever radiator valve is the exit. That should be similar to the boiler return temperature on most of your rads. If it’s not, then the bypass valve is open. If it is, then there’s not enough temperature drop across the rads and the flow is too fast – I think. Get yourself on heatgeek.com.

Looks like we’re on course to spend about £100/mo in the winter months on gas.

dazh

Came into the office today for the first time since the autumn and my god I’m melting. After not having the heating on at home I’m used to an ambient temperature of around 16deg so 21-22deg in our office feels like I’m sitting in my mum’s house where she always had the heating cranked up to 27.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Molgrips… Cheers yeah slight correction, flow is 78 return 65. So only 13 degree delta. Bit of a geek like you and have stuck k-types on my pipework and have spent an embarrassingly large ammount of time (with much amusement from my family) playing about with flow speeds and balancing rads

I don’t have a bypass valve in my system – just a towel rail which can’t be fully shut off

I can get the 20 deg delta (and get return to run below 55 deg C where boiler is most efficient with pump speed on low… But issue is I have a mix of stupid microbore and 15mm so even with balancing carefully, on low the heating in living room (with long run of microbore) does not get flow until the trv’s kick in (or should I say kick off) in the bedrooms. Also when the diverter kicks in and HW demand adds in then just not enough oomph on low.

All fun… Its an old system and ideally needs to be ripped out and redone

kelvin

After not having the heating on at home I’m used to an ambient temperature of around 16deg so 21-22deg in our office feels like I’m sitting in my mum’s house where she always had the heating cranked up to 27.

Having not had the heating on… we’re now having it on with the thermostat set at 18deg for 30mins each end of the day to dry clothes and the house and to stop us freezing… and that feels super hot! Can’t believe we were setting it at 21deg two winters ago… all evening… that seems mad now. Going to adjust it down to 17 now I think.

bigdean

If ventilation is poor in the house (ie it’s not a leaky old building) and you’re not running a dehumidifier I think you’ll end up regretting it when you’re bleaching the mould off the walls and ceiling in three months

I have damp problems in a couple of corners of the house regardless of heating use. Hence the bleach spray under the sink.
    Having said that there is now a weekly walk around the house wiping mold off windows where condensation has built up. I had that last year also but it’s worse this year with lower temps.

simondbarnes

I could afford to put my heating on for an hour in the evening but that then leaves less money for other stuff so I choose not to until it is actually cold (which may well be in the next few days looking at the forecast). With the cost of *everything* going up I need to be sensible. I will treat myself to the occasional nice thing but don’t have excess money to do so – I cut back on something else to do so (for instance I rode to work for a month instead of driving and bought some HEbTroCo jeans!) I will make it clear though – I am not in a position where I have to choose between heating or eating, that must be awful.

chewkw
    Free Member

13.7c in the living room now. I will only switch on heater at 7pm.

Wearing double socks, wool based layers tops and bottom with insulated wool jumper and woolly hat.

Mid layers on as well.

iainc

^^^ interested to know if that is as a result of the increased costs to heat your house, or is that what you would normally do ? i.e, has your pattern of use of heating changed this year due to economic reasons ?

simondbarnes

^^^ interested to know if that is as a result of the increased costs to heat your house, or is that what you would normally do ? i.e, has your pattern of use of heating changed this year due to economic reasons ?

If that’s aimed at me, then that’s how I’ve always done it. Money spent on heating is money I can’t spend on something I want. With prices the way they are it is even more of an incentive to put another layer on.

chewkw
    Free Member

If it is aimed me, I can say that’s almost my normal routine. Except this time I reduce my heating to one hour per day instead of 1 hour in the morning and evening for this time of the year. By mid December I will add one more hour to the heating.

My heating bill has double by comparison to last year.

iainc

Thanks, it was a general question prompted by your post. It’s hard to know, reading the posts, how much is business as normal and how much is a change of approach in reaction to fuel costs and inflation.

tjagain

I am one who feels the cold badly.  I have knocked the CH down a touch but thats it.  I am not going to be cold and miserable

Looks like I’m around 3 quid a day in Gas and a quid a day in leccy but having been away all summer its hard to tell from the bills yet.

I have very variable heating needs / costs tho as I gain a lot of heat from the offices below me so need more heating at weekends and get huge solar gain

simondbarnes

Given that the £66 / month electricity payments for 6 months mean that I am getting free electricity during that period (and at current prices that gives me free electricity for approx 10 or 11 months) I should probably put the heating on. What I’m actually doing is going to the pub or a local gig for a couple of pints every now and then with the money saved.

footflaps

I have damp problems in a couple of corners of the house regardless of heating use. Hence the bleach spray under the sink.

Yep, solid wall Victorian House and even with CH on, the bathroom’s external wall grows mould all winter – just bleach it off every couple of weeks..

fazzini

we’re now having it on with the thermostat set at 18deg for 30mins each end of the day

Does that actually work? The average temp in my house is 14-15 degrees with no heating use. It takes an hour to get to 17-18 degrees – that’s with condensing combi set at 60 degrees (as advised by manufacturer) and TRVs set at position ‘3’. Now I still think that I have issues with at least 3 TRVs (2 up, 1 down) but putting CH on for 30 mins twice a day would have a negligible effect. I’m completely paranoid about the cost, but also don’t want to subject the family to mediaeval conditions.

Edit: we have no thermostat smart or otherwise do everything is done manually.

Sandwich

Just starting to play tunes on flow and stored hot water temperatures. My baseline for gas last week was £28.50. Two rooms on during the day for WFH at 19C and warm the kitchen for lunchtime. We’ve stopped using the flame-effect gas fire, not very efficient.
    To throw a spanner in the works one of the TRV glands is leaking and may have killed a smart head as a result. With luck it’s a non-drain repair, will need to check what the TRV body has around the pin.

iainc

20 yr old detached 5 bed house over 3 floors in a cold windy high part of west of Scotland . I wfh 3 weeks out of 4. 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We have just replaced all the doors and windows with new units so hoping to keep it below last winter peaks. Heating is on Hive and house around 22 deg most of the day. Boiler replaced about 4 years ago and trv’s throughout.

singletrackmind

November usage numbers.
    Elec 112kwh
    Gas. 94kwh.
    Was £68 odd with octopus. Now running wood burner every evening for 3-4 hours amd ch on for 1hr, but on a 15mins on, then 30mins off cycle x4.
    Very slight dampness on my bedsheets but elec blanket lifts this of am evening

vlad_the_invader

I’m a late comer to this thread and I CBA reading through 22 pages worth of knowledge so I’ll ask a question that may have been asked already.

Dog owners: at what point does low internal home temperature become an issue for your dogs and what do you do about it?

Locally, temps have been dipping down to a couple of degrees below zero at night. I don’t heat the top floor of my house at all but have got one electric baseboard heater set at 15°C in the (open plan) room downstairs the dog sleeps in (and is my home office during the day).
    When I’m using that room, I supplement it with a gas fire when needed.
    I guess I’m wondering whether the room is warm enough overnight for the dog or whether I can turn the thermostat down!

The dog is a mutt of some description – it’s probably a 4 (out of 10) on the hairy/furry scale and loves snow/flakes out in the heat so not sure how to rate his temperature tolerance 😃

Sandwich

Dog will need to get used to be covered with a blanket whilst in bed if he gets cold. You could also investigate a nest type bed with raised sides and a reasonably snug fit.

retrorick

I’ve turned my gas central heating on.
    Room stat says 8.5°c and that seems to be the point where I can’t motivate myself to do anything whilst indoors.
    I’ve taken a meter reading to see what the consumption is over a few hours.

simondbarnes

I suspect that mine will have to go on for a bit sometime during the coming week.

spacemonkey

530Kw elec used in 6 weeks = £205 inc standing charge. Both of us WFH 4-5 days/week + jar’s usual consumption

93Kw gas used in same period = £22 inc standing charge. Approx 1-2hrs of 16c CH/day for the first 5 weeks, but now ramping that up to 5-8hrs.

So that’s £227 for 6 weeks, with a bias towards more gas use in the last week.

Re drying clothes, I was going to get one of those heated ones a few weeks ago but they were sold out… So I’ve been par-drying heavy items, eg jeans, hoodies, sheets in the tumble drier then putting them and all other items on airers beside a radiator, with an old sheet over the top to contain the heat. Much quicker all round.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Big issue in S6 (Sheffield), burst water main caused shrapnel to puncture a gas line and now there’s water in the gas pipes, 1200 homes affected. Were told to wait in all day yesterday for someone to (not) turn up, likewise today but we just went out and still no one. Bit of a nightmare with no heating or hot water, not sure when it’ll be fixed. Saving on gas central heating although does mean we’re using electric heaters at 6x the cost and that’s only heating one room, rather than the whole house as the central heating would.

With more relation to the thread… we’re still on a fixed tariff until June 23 but worked out our bill will go up by over £1000 a year afterwards (currently £850 for two of us) in a victorian terrace with no insulation.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.