Viewing 34 posts - 1,841 through 1,874 (of 1,874 total)
  • Not putting the heating on – how’s it going…?
  • wooksterbo

Hell no to that temp in the lounge.

This proper cold snap is testing the very low flow temps at the moment but the house is still warming up, albeit very slowly. The boiler has an issue at the moment with high pressure when heating, plumber is due to service it next week. Also waiting on a quote for a system boiler plus cylinder to replace the current 17 year old combi.

fazzini

North Tyneside. Weather cold. CH on since 6am when I’m up for work. Mrs F has been home all day, with her dad (84) and my mum (79) visiting. Boiler ‘CH’ dial temp set at 44 degrees. We have no thermostat. All rads with very old TRVs set at #3 on their dials. £3.60 so far. Seems reasonable. CH going off at 8pm. I have zero idea if that’s good or bad, but the house is warm with one room excepted but that’s another issue completely that winds me up no end!

stwhannah

12.5 in my living room this morning too. Broke my 13 deg limit. The heating is on. Toasty at 18 now.

mattyfez

12c is a bit chilly… but I do set mine back to 13c or 14c overnight otherwise it gets too warm in bed.

I generally boost it up to about 17/18/19c in the evening, and then knock it back to 14ish just before bed time.

Living room is currrently 16.8c with a RH of 50% which is pretty comfortable.

I bought this little standalone thermometer as it’s dead handy to move from room to room, even in the livingroom there can be a degree or so difference from my computer desk to the thermostat on the other side of the room, so it’s proven to be quite handy.

temp

jeffl

It’s really interesting. Moved into a new build over summer. Prior to that we lived in a Victorian semi with no cavity wall insulation.

Boiler CH water temperature is set to about 45°c. Thanks to the insulation this works well. Even overnight when the heating is turned down to 15°c it’s around 18°c in the morning when we wake up. Fires up for a couple of hours and then sits around 19°c without turning the heating on.

Helps that we’re south facing with lots of glass so we get good thermal gains.

In the old house we would have been spaffing money keeping it warm. This house the heating is on for about 3 hours a day.

sirromj

When the splash back from my piss freezes to my Magic Marys that’s when I know it’s cold in the home.

fossy

New(ish) 27 year old house. Thermally OK – the Baxi is still original (not a combi) and the gas bills are very low. We also have relatively small rads in bedrooms (open plan downstairs) but it works well. 3 bedrooms and 7 rads.

Only the lounge is a large one, all rest under 600mm.

Best thing for my system is a DIY drain and shove in a load of trade inhibtor as it’s an open system, so easy.

Electric is a different issue due to gaming kit.

retrorick

Screenshot_2023-11-29-21-25-46-058_com.netatmo.thermostat

Bedroom temperature at the moment. Living room is colder. Wouldn’t be surprised if the kitchen is around 5°c. 

Electric blanket will be switched on prior to bed. 

jonesyboy

So what’s a good ch temperature for a combi, I think mine is at 55 and the rads feel far too hot to me

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how big your radiators are. Keep turning it down until you’re not warm any more then back up a bit 🙂

mattyfez

Yeah there are lots of variables.. my CH flow temp is currently 55c and it seems like a fairly good balance for my circumstances.

I could maybe drop it down to 52c, but it’s a juggling act as if it’s too low it will take too long to heat the rooms up, it’s a matter of fine tuning it I guess.

Bang it down to 50c for a week, and if it takes too long to heat the rooms up, ramp it back up to 53c or something.

julians
    Free Member

Had to increase my flow temp to 75 earlier in the week as it couldn’t get the house up to temp set at 68

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey that’s hot, you have small rads? Or are you letting it cool right down overnight and during the day?

We’re on 50 and we still have many small ones. That means it will go as high as 55 before cutting out.

Dickyboy

As executor dealing with an empty house, insurance co have stipulated that heating has to be on at 15C, loft hatch open and water drained down between 1st Nov to 31st Mar. Be interesting to see what the meter reading is tomorrow 😯

matt_outandabout

All of you quoting *c – is this from the boiler somehow?

We have a dial with a few indents, the penultimate one has ‘Eco’ written on in. I have always assumed that *below* is Eco and above that indent is *costly*.

matt_outandabout

As executor dealing with an empty house, insurance co have stipulated that heating has to be on at 15C, loft hatch open and water drained down between 1st Nov to 31st Mar. Be interesting to see what the meter reading is tomorrow

Insurance companies are ars*h*les though. They are the reason millions of building such as schools and offices burn lights all the way through the night – what a waste of energy and the environment.

Dickyboy

Got moaned at for having the bedroom window open (heating off between 10pm & 7am), suggested we put winter duvet on but got told she couldn’t sleep with her head under the covers.

simondbarnes

Mine just has I II III IIII

fossy

My boiler is 1 to 6 on the settings, currently running at 4 !

molgrips
    Free Member

My boiler has 6 dots on a dial, and the manual quotes the flow temperature range as being 30-80C, so the third dot would equal 50C. I’ve confirmed this using a thermocouple probe, however it will go 5 degrees over the state temperature before shutting off and waiting for it to drop. I think the point at which it comes back on is related to the return temp.

retrorick

I have just plumbed in 2 radiators that are in the hallway and porch. They have been out of action for over a year. Hallway needs the heat as it is a north facing gable end. Plumbed in with plastic pipes and push fit, I did a pretty good job, but didn’t tighten up one of the compression fittings on the valve so had a bit of a leak. 

Going to run my heating on number 4 for longer durations (over 2hrs). Will run on 5 or 6 for short durations (under 2 hrs). 

matt_outandabout

, and the manual quotes the flow temperature range

See, why would I read the manual?!

fossy

I’ve left the heating on during the day the last week or two as I’m not exactly sure of daughter’s hours in Uni, and she’ll just sit there freezing rather than turn the heating on. Ours is set at 17c-18c for down stairs, then off during the night, unless it’s very cold. 

molgrips
    Free Member

See, why would I read the manual?!

Why wouldn’t you?

I started to learn about my heating and realised my boiler was plumbed in backwards. I reckon sorting it all out and getting it running well has saved me £20/mo.

fazzini

2 dials on the boiler. One for CH; one for hot water. One digital display shows temp requested by turning dials. No other ‘overall’ CH control (e.g. thermostat on a wall etc), but most rads do have pre-historic TRVs

julians
    Free Member

Blimey that’s hot, you have small rads? Or are you letting it cool right down overnight and during the day?

1930s detached house, double glazed, 30cm insulation in the roof, nothing in the walla. A couple of radiators are maybe too small.

House thermostat set at 21c, we both wfh so it’s set at 21c from 7.30am until 9pm, at night it’s allowed to cool to whatever it cools to, but so far has not gone below 16c

The flow was fine at 68c until this recent cold snap, but in this cold the house won’t go above 20c,so had to increase flow temp

BillMC

Currently about a tenner a day for gas and lecky plus 2-4 quid of smokeless fuel, if it gets going. Doesn’t seem that long ago I was paying £70pm, now £199.

Kryton57

November was the first month we’ve equalled the £238 payment, so I guess we are either equal to that or eating into the £550 surplus December to March.

I’m not turning my heating down this year, bollocks to it I’ve got enough to be miserable about without being cold as well.

somafunk

Log burner/coal has been on most of the year but as it’s now winter it’ll be kept burning 24hrs a day till it heats up next year.

sirromj

Not sure whether to defrost the bin juice or not?

simondbarnes

I’ve given up and put my heating on for half an hour

20231202_163901

kelvin

Brrr…

mmannerr

This thread is entertainment for us in different climates. It is -15C with some wind outside, rather toasty +23.7C inside at my parents flat. Some fine tuning required due new vents on windows but they are aiming towards consistent +22.5C.

daviek

Moved from a now 20 year old house with pretty good insulation to a 130+ year old house with 22″ solid granite walls. Was -8 outside when I woke up this morning and the heatings been almost all day.  There’s about a foot of glass wool in the loft and other bits that have been done up over the years have some insulation but it’s definitely a hoodie on most of the day now

Viewing 34 posts - 1,841 through 1,874 (of 1,874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.