Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,874 total)
  • Not putting the heating on – how’s it going…?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@Scienceofficer, great username judging by that post.

jimdubleyou

Ours came on on Sunday. SOMEBODY had SOMEHOW turned the thermostat off summer mode and set the thermostat to 20C…

bruk

2nd part of the duvet went on at the weekend and windows now closed. Still not had the heating on but 3c outside this morning was fresh! Will get to October for sure. Kids actually wearing jumpers!

Oil fired central heating and did get a reasonable price to top it up in the summer so ok for a bit. Trying to make it last longer than normal over winter so suspect will be utilising the log burner a bit more than last year!

funkmasterp

Second part of a duvet?

bob_summers

How’s it going? Haven’t got heating. Ancient first floor flat the size of a shoe box, with neighbours on 5 sides.

Drac

Second part of a duvet?

The cover.

Kryton57

Our is on it was 6 degrees this morning outside. Next week sees a return to 20/21 max down here though so that’ll be a relief.

Mrs K came home with an £80 heated clothes rail today, becuase it saves money vs the tumble dryer / the current non heated version is taking a 3 days to dry the washing. 7p an hour she said, I can’t be arsed to work it all,out right now.

molgrips
    Free Member

On Sunday I put the 10tog duvet on.

Ten tog?! We only own 7.5 and that’s roasting.

bruk

2nd part of duvet. One of those ones with a summer 3.5t and then a 7.0 autumn one you clip together to make it for winter. Allows you to choose though I’d prefer one with different togs on either side of the bed as can’t sleep when it’s too warm

easily
    Free Member

The woman I share my house with insisted we would not have the heating on all winter.

She put it on yesterday when I was out. And again this evening because she thought I seemed cold.

irc

Room thermostat had been sitting between 18 and 20C for the last month or two with no heating on. Went away for a week holiday and got back on Saturday it was down to 15C. Shows how much background heat we get from cooking TVs laptops etc.

It has been on for a couple of hours but seems the house has stabilised for now at 17-18C without any heating on.

If we get another couple of weeks I’ll be happy. After we replaced a 40 year old Baxi boiler with a new combi in July our next two gas bills for hot water and gas hob showed halved usage in Kwh. I’ll be interested to see how much our gas consumption is down this winter with the combination of new boiler, better controls, upgraded loft insulation and Mrs IRC buying into the economy drive – she is retired so is usually at home.

MSP

We are on a communal heating system in the area we live in, normally it is more expensive, I wonder if this year it might be cheaper.

For my own apartment I have bought smart thermostats for the radiators, I have it set for 18 degrees when I am occupying a room, and 12 when not (20 for the bathroom in the morning). The radiators have been on briefly in the past week, but not much.

leffeboy

It’s 16 deg inside at the moment with no heating and it doesn’t feel cold yet, I was surprised but I’m wearing sensible amounts of clothing.  Will be interested to see what point it starts feeling cold

Came home from work one day when it was summer in’t STR household and the heating was on. I give up

Got it on in the caravan now though, underfloor heating set at 20 degrees, it’s lovely and cosy.

Patio heater for the awning when I want to go for a smoke in my pants

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/8utS87841Q]2022-09-28_09-32-42[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

chrisyork

Our heating isn’t on yet, I did light the fire yesterday for the first time though but it’s not as cool tonight.

Also we’ll have it on as little as possible due to the price of it! Everything is just going ridiculous costwise, we can afford it but why spend more than you have to. We were both born in barns anyway

pondo

Crikey – didn’t know ours was on but set to 16 degrees, so been on for 22 minutes today. Gutted. 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ignore trailrat tho. Hes aberdonian.

LMAO, he wishes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Funny that all of the people not putting on heating have made that decision using the first person singular, whereas those with heating on use “we”. Are you people with the heating off all single, or just old fashioned about who had control of the thermostat?

Or they just don’t want to own their failures.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Still not on here (Chester) but the stove in the kitchen is lit for a short burn (2 hrs) around 6pm.
    That’s so we need right now.
    Well have to see what happens next couple of weeks as we normally have the heating on from October, but there’s only two of us here now so we might last longer.

FFJA
    Free Member

Heating is still off here. It’s easy, just be unable to afford to buy any central heating oil and that works it out for you! 😂

wheelsonfire1

@edward2000 perhaps start a thread on here? It is generally very helpful and someone might direct message you with some advice. Hope this helps.

kerley
    Free Member

Not going well for me. But then the thermostat is set at 20 and just stays there. We are happy with 20 so never need to touch it. It has stuttered to come on shortly in early morning and that is about it so far.

But then I spend more to insure my house than I do on heating so would rather be able to do something about that…

timba
    Free Member

Heating coming on the last few mornings, thermostat set at 16C. It’s difficult to tell how long it fires for and how long it’s just circulating water if you refuse to look 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

1995 house, DG, loft and cavity insulation on the Midlands/Yorkshire boarder.

Letting the thermostat run things. It’s set for 17 for morning and evening, 15 during the day and 11 overnight. It’s kicked 8n a couple of times but we’ve over ridden it.

Reduced the water and heating flow temperature down. Been watching some heatgeek stuff on YouTube that questions some of the old ideas regarding how warm for how long. Interesting stuff.

Must be getting colder though. The dog has pretty much ignored up during the summer but now comes for a cuddle* in the evening.

*I know she’s just using me really.

onehundredthidiot

1880s house so not great insulation and as we are the top two floors into the attic no room for better insulation.

Heating set at 16 has rumbled on a few times, got down to 2 a couple of nights ago but the wet weather isn’t helping.
    Yesterday the smart meter said we’d spent £3.46 in total.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We also recently switched to the second part of the duvet.

And this morning, I had to unstick 9ne of the TRVs.

phil5556

Not been on yet but we lit the fire for the first time on Tuesday night so it won’t be long. I should probably turn it on to check it’s going to work.

molgrips
    Free Member

10C outside during breakfast according to the Met Office, our hallway (coldest part of the house) was 17. Heating not on yet.

IHN

I dont know what to do?

Talk to your mortgage provider +loads

(and, as Molgrips says, little’uns can manage in cool houses if you wrap them up well. Eskimos have babies remember..)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Eskimos have babies remember

But have you seen the price of seal blubber?

nickc

Thermostat is set for 16degs at the moment and it’s comfy enough with a jumper and slippers on. Fired it up last night just to make sure it was all working OK, no leaks or cold spots, so off it went again. Could do with a blast in the morning now, but evenings are OK. Although we turn on the heating when we cold – I don’t think wanting to be warm is a character flaw, we’re already conscious that cost is going to be an issue. We’ve built up a war chest with the energy company, and we can afford it but how folks who’re not a fortunate as us will manage…

Coyote
    Free Member

Kicked ours on the other morning to take the edge off. Don’t understand this weird obsession with having something that makes life more comfortable yet refusing to use it*. Unless of course you can’t afford it, which is a travesty in 21st century Britain.

* No, I’m not new here…

ransos
    Free Member

This thread reminded me to chase up a quote for fitting smart TRVs throughout – I think they’ll make quite a bit of difference to our bills.

Heating not on yet but I live in the Mild Mild West so the house isn’t particularly cold.

a11y

Past week has had a few overnights down to 5degC, still holding off on our heating so far. Current room temp readings from our Honeywell EVOhome system range from 13.0-15.0degC this morning, I’m WFH wearing two jumpers and a blanket around my legs and might give a blast of the oil-filled radiator under my desk if this continues.

Currently don’t have a viable office at work to use after being kicked out of our nice office for a refurb. No access to height-adjustable desk elsewhere otherwise I’d wander along to make use of their heating.

ButtonMoon

I’m getting our gas heating system ready for winter. Currently turned off since around April in NW England.

House Stat staying at between 19-20.
    Hot water at about 45° top-to-bottom (Solar Thermal). This will need topping up with the boiler soon as this temp won’t last us more that 1 day if we have a fully cloudy day.

Updates fitted this year
    1. Installed weather compensation to the boiler
    2. Changed heating design to hot water priority (for weather comp) .
    3. Increasing the size of the radiators in the old side of house + increased pipework size.

Plus we had cavity wall insultion fitted in Spring.

Kryton57

Experimenting g with a heated dryer today – 51p vs 1.77 tumble dryer assuming the clothes are dry by 12:30.

DT78
    Free Member

Ours has been on a few mornings, therm is set to 18. The back of the house is currently insulated by a chipboard panel so it is getting very cold. Hoping in a couple of weeks we will be weather tight!

3 jumpers for me yesterday. I’m finding I keep much warmer using a standing desk and hoping about more

bigblackshed

I’m still in shorts, although I have put a thin hooded sweatshirt on in the evenings. The Wife has her own mobile, internal central heating system, so ours is still off. Haven’t lit the wood burner either.

nickc

Don’t understand this weird obsession with having something that makes life more comfortable yet refusing to use it*

It’s the same mentality that announces that a cassette with a lowest gear of 42T is “enough for proper mountain biking”, or that the only ingredients to add to porridge oats is salt and water, and you have to eat it standing in the rain outside otherwise “you’re not doing it right” Espresso is the only acceptable form of coffee, etc etc.

some “grown men” are still in the playground in their heads

freeagent
    Free Member

Today is the first day i’ve switched to Jeans from shorts to WFH.
    Heating not been on yet – ‘stat is showing 18C at the moment.

We’ve in a well insulated semi-detached bungalow in the S/E though..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.