Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Northumberland – still rubbish, I wouldn't bother coming
  • Drac

I wouldn’t it’s very cold and the beaches are covered in the shade. Try Scotland.

To be fair you’re not far off with the Scotland comment, talking to visitors that’s often what they say. They say they’ve never been before as they’ve always just gone to Scotland instead, helped by the M6 being tucked across west. They all do say they will be back and how friendly the people are, except for me.

iainc

Living in the West of Scotland and regularly spending holiday time in Northumberland, I can definitely vouch for the latter being warmer and dryer 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

I will visit one day, but it’s a long trip and there are lots of other places to go in the meantime. Wife also wants to visit East Anglia because it’s a different landscape to what we have in Wales.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Living in the West of Scotland and regularly spending holiday time in Northumberland, I can definitely vouch for the latter being warmer and dryer

To be fair, you could go on holday to a Siberian Piss-forest and it would be warmer and drier than the WoS.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I suppose I should weigh in and try to defend the honour of my place of birth etc.

But I upped and moved to Aus 6 years ago so clearly it is a crap place and I never miss it a bit.

wors

No sun in Whitby?

molgrips
    Free Member

No sun in Whitby?

Not in the afternoon, no.

Drac

Here’s the East Coast not in the Sun in the evening.

rascal
    Free Member

I went to Northumberland last year for the first time.
    Enjoyed it…some of it not so great (Amble is a shithole).
    I do find it extremely tiresome however that whenever there’s the thread on it the same ‘I Love Northumberland – it’s crap so go somewhere else’ crew start banging their drums. I know it started as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek thing but it’s got boring now. I anticipate being pitch-forked and flamed to death imminently buy those very people for speaking such heresy 😈

Drac

Get him!

He’ll be having ago at Baby Robin’s face next.

blader1611
    Free Member

I am in Kippford now for a short break and can confirm its a terrible place. Its so bad that on the beach i decided to tell someone to avoid this place like the plague but he was at the other end of the beach and it was too warm to walk to him. Obviously lots of people have heard how bad it is as they all stayed away. Even the ice cream factory only had a very large choice of ice creams, what a disgrace.Go to Cornwall everyone!

Drac

Ermmm! Kippford did you say? 😕

postierich
    Free Member

Yep wasted journey will stay on the A1 in future
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/X3VSQj]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

gobuchul
    Free Member

I know it started as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek thing but it’s got boring now.

Well don’t open the **** thread then!

flange
    Free Member

Wife also wants to visit East Anglia because it’s a different landscape to what we have in Wales

Now that really IS rubbish…

rascal
    Free Member

Put your handbag down gobuchul – I’m sure I’m not alone

fergal
    Free Member

The sun does always shine in Northumberland usually out of Dracs arse 😀

Cripes if someone else posts another picture of Lindisfarne or Bamburgh castle! I will vomit, if there are two places you will find crawling with grockles it’s them, think outside the box people, the quite county is a beautiful place get exploring.

Drac

The sun does always shine in Northumberland usually out of Dracs arse

It’s not easy being this good.

chickenman

Definitely worth reading this thread just for the arsey tone joke… 😀

CountZero

The UK is beautiful all over.

Well, I have to point out places like Trowbridge, Swindon, Avonmouth as a counter-argument.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well, I have to point out places like Trowbridge, Swindon, Avonmouth as a counter-argument.

& Redcar. Although It’s beach isn’t too bad.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Well, against the advice of everyone here, I thought I’d try it for myself and see how rubbish it was. So we’re just back from 2 nights camper-van camping in Belford.

Alnwick- what a joke! OK, so its got the world’s cutest second-hand bookshop, great weather, relaxed parking, friendly people, some interesting shops- and also some nice places to eat.

Where was the Tesco Metro?? Its almost as if civilisation hasn’t caught up with it. Thankfully we found the Greggs, tucked away somewhere.

Belford itself. Well- its just trying too hard. The pretty environs, interesting and slightly boheme pubs, and obvious community kinship clearly screamed out ‘No Londis!’ to us, but they were trying so hard that we pretended to admire it.

Finally, Bamburgh Castle, and the surrounding coastal area. Well! Its a Norman castle in the foreground, with the origins of British Christianity in the background, near a pristine beach while some locals played cricket close by.

Ten a penny. I’m falling over that kind of thing in South Lanarkshire. Something unique would have been nice.

Oh, and I got mild facial sunburn in the last week of September. Its dead to me. Never again.

Drac

We warned you.

Oh, and I got mild facial sunburn in the last week of September. Its dead to me. Never again.

Try Whitby it’s a perma-shade.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Finally, Bamburgh Castle, and the surrounding coastal area. Well! Its a Norman castle in the foreground, with the origins of British Christianity in the background, near a pristine beach while some locals played cricket close by.

I’m glad you hated it. That ties in with the STW cool crowd who can’t enjoy anyway that is remotely popular and is well photographed. I’m not sure why anyone would think it would make a good photograph anyway. It’s not at all striking.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

A fun fact for Molgrips – Beadnell harbour (as per last and third from last pictures bu gobuchul) is west facing, despite being on the east coast.
    We went at Easter – got sunburn and won the pub quiz. No fun at all I tell you.

iainc

Heading down in 3 weeks for mid term week, it’s gonna be rubbish, like it always is. You’d think we’d learn after 10 years or so….

mrchrispy

Happen to be looking at Northumberland for the end of October.

Does anyone have any family friendly (2 large + 2 small) recommendations for places to stay?

iainc

have a look at our usual place of choice :

Beaconhill

been staying there for many years, love it.

docrobster
    Free Member

That looks good ianc but I see they don’t allow dogs
    So who would like to recommend me a dog friendly holiday cottage (sleeps 4) for the second half of half term week (2-5 November)
    having just dropped eldest off at Newcastle uni I can see it becoming a more regular destination for us…

Inbred456
    Free Member

We’ve got a weekend booked in an old fishermans cottage in Amble in December. It’ll be awful.

yetidave
    Free Member

We have a lodge for half term week around the Wooler area. Used to hate going there as a kid, playing in the dunes, beaches, waterfalls, mountains(?), and a strange memory of chasing white cattle around a park, sunset walks up the marshes, and my first night adventure with a turnip as a lantern, I am sure things will be no different now…

hodgynd
    Free Member

Thankfully …its being shown on Countrywise right now so folks can see for themselves how truly awful it is ..

Drac

Near Wooler.

https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/north-of-england/northumberland/2-kypie-farm-cottage

I’ve a colleague with one in Warkworth sits in it’s own large grounds, I’ll see if I can find a link.

Found it.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/river-view-warkworth-near-amble.en-gb.html

CountZero

& Redcar. Although It’s beach isn’t too bad.

At least it’s got a beach!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Amble in December. It’ll be awful.

Your’e not wrong there either.

& Redcar.

I’m struggling to see the connection between Northumberland & Redcar.

Drac

Whitby.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Whitby.

Whitby? Stop confusing things!

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland – still rubbish, I wouldn't bother coming’ is closed to new replies.