Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Northumberland – still rubbish, I wouldn't bother coming
  • rOcKeTdOg

Too near the wall & winter is coming

mogrim

I like the fact it’s always sunny there, at least if the pictures on this thread are to believed.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Too near the wall & winter is coming

You do know it’s actually North of the Wall?

rOcKeTdOg

Can you not be near it if you’re north of it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Born there, raised there, visit often – not going to move there or live there full time.
    Lakes is just more fun for me if I came back to the UK. Free accommodation in Northumberland and tickets to NUFC do help

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Looks like my part of Sweden but far far busier , too many people for my liking.

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

As a permanent resident of Northumberland, can I ask anyone even remotely considering a visit not to bother. It’s horrendous and I often cry myself to sleep at night with the knowledge that I’ll never escape.
    100’s of miles of natural, unspoilt, empty trails on my doorstep, Kielder Forest trail centre within 45 mins of my house, Glentress and Hamsterley both accessible under and hour and a half.
    Please, save yourselves. I’ll take one for the team.

Can anyone recommend some crap-hole up there to stay in near the rubbish cycling?

Don’t stop here as it’s central to all the woeful places mentioned above.
    Tomlinson’s Bunkhouse Rothbury

MrOvershoot

iainc – Member
    Mackem, been staying here a few times a year for the last decade. Love it. Not cheap, but not lacking in any aspect, at all…

Yep me too 6th time in the last 8 years & Drac we will meet up for that pint you promised me 🙂

iainc

^^^^ we are going to the related place (same setup) at Breamish next month, will be interested to see how it compares after years of Beaconhill (we were too late booking it this time, but are booked for next summer…)

MTT
    Free Member

It was so awful I moved away.

I’m now in the slightly more awful Hope Valley in Derbyshire.

Just bad luck I guess!

Drac

Yep me too 6th time in the last 8 years & Drac we will meet up for that pint you promised me

Please do.

dlr

For todays short awful ride I went south of this little tidal stream called the Tyne or something. All I found was dumped stuff, dumped sand, rocks, Roman Fort and even an entire velodrome, completely ridiculous and just such an awful place. Did a couple of laps despite an unsuitable bike 😀

https://goo.gl/photos/zscv1gSiCmsMD8h76

muzz
    Free Member

It’s rubbish and empty and the sky, sea and green only vaguely comes alive with a few days off work, a sense of escapism and a quarter pound of Lou Reed

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

and even an entire velodrome,

South Shields? Gypsies Green?

Anyway, that’s not even Northumberland.

I’ll never ever got to the http://www.redlionalnmouth.com/ ever again.
    The beer was so good I drank too much & the food was horrible, so bad I had to try it again the next night to make sure it was that bad.

Cornwall’s miles better, go there.

CountZero

Erm.. there’s a cool little beach called Wanson Mouth between Widemouth Bay and Milook, the path’s hidden by some bushes but you can park on the wide bit of road just opposite it and wander down. There aren’t any shops, toilets or ice cream trucks so the masses stay away.

Interesting, a friend of mine lives in Widemouth Bay, she’ll know where that is. Keep meaning to get down there and see her, have to check it out when I do.

dlr

esselgruntfuttock yer that’s the place, is it County Durham or somewhere else then? I apologise for my incorrectness 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno why everyone does threads like this about Northumberland. It’s not the only quiet part of the UK. I think the main reason in this case is that it’s nowhere near as good as Scotland but nearly as far away 🙂

I just see pictures of ordinary nice countryside.

perchypanther
    Free Member

it’s nowhere near as good as Scotland but nearly as far away

It’s much farther away.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I just see pictures of ordinary nice countryside.

Yes. It’s all very ordinary.

molgrips
    Free Member

Castles, beaches, seals. Yep, a normal day in Wales.

mogrim

Except it’s not raining.

molgrips
    Free Member

You may have a point there.

Generally warmer though down here. We went to Whitby once which admittedly is not in Northumbria, but is not too far away. Not only was it rammed beyond belief, but the beach faced east and was behind a big cliff so was in shadow all afternoon. It was sodding freezing, in July.

GrahamS

It’s much farther away.

Much closer for me 😉

thenorthwind

Generally warmer though down here. We went to Whitby once which admittedly is not in Northumbria, but is not too far away. Not only was it rammed beyond belief, but the beach faced east and was behind a big cliff so was in shadow all afternoon. It was sodding freezing, in July.

I went to Birmingham once. The beach was shit. No sand at all. They talked Welsh wrong, but still had funny voices. I know it’s not Wales, but it’s nearly there.

Drac

I think the main reason in this case is that it’s nowhere near as good as Scotland but nearly as far away

It’s 5.5 hours for me to get to Scotland and I’m in Northumberland. Of course I can also get to Scotland i 30 minutes but given it’s pretty big, being a country rather than a county, you need to be more specific.

We went to Whitby once which admittedly is not in Northumbria, but is not too far away.

Ah I see. You’ve no idea where Northumberland is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Drac do you try to have an arsey tone or are you doing it accidentally?

Whitby = North East = East facing beach. Does Northumberland have West or South facing beaches that are so secret none of us foolish outlanders have ever heard of it?

Oh hang on, I have found one – Benthall, next to a gigantic caravan park. Must be empty caravans though as no-one ever goes there do they?

perchypanther
    Free Member

arsey tone

Drac

What because I challenged you? Whitby is a long way off Northumberland.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was talking more about the east coast generally. Assuming that an East facing beach is likely to be a similar thing 50 miles up the coast.

Drac

50 miles 😆

Northumberland is on the East yes but that really does not mean it doesn’t get much sun.

Whitby = North East = East facing beach. Does Northumberland have West or South facing beaches that are so secret none of us foolish outlanders have ever heard of it?

Well predominately East of course was it’s errr on the East coast but as they’re beaches they tend to get sun from all directions.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would expect that there is a greater chance of less sun and more shade in the afternoon on an east facing beach?

Cougar

Well played Perchy, well played.

Drac

I would expect that there is a greater chance of less sun and more shade in the afternoon on an east facing beach?

Well they’re beaches without big cliffs so they tend to get the sun all day long.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s on average 2 degrees colder in Boulmer in August than in Swanage, which is also about 27% sunnier. Just sayin 🙂

Drac

Hahaha! 2c Molgrips you always make me laugh.

Whitby isn’t far from Northumberland but 2c is a big difference.

molgrips
    Free Member

The UK is beautiful all over. And there are quiet unspoiled parts all over. That’s my point.

Drac

Yes it is.

I like Shropshire, Lakes, West Coast of Scotland and many other places I’ve visited.

Northumberland in rubbish though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

The UK is beautiful all over.

apart form Lancashire, obviously.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock yer that’s the place, is it County Durham or somewhere else then? I apologise for my incorrectness

Haha! No worries, South Shields is actually in the county of Tyne & Wear, & is on the south bank of the Tyne. You weren’t far from Northumberland so I’ll let you off. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Northumberland in rubbish though

I was thinking of visiting, but if everyone has a chip on their shoulder I might not bother driving that far 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland – still rubbish, I wouldn't bother coming’ is closed to new replies.