Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 378 total)
  • No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)
  • martinhutch

Also free members could make his activities private in retaliation!

That’s a good point. And yes, if all I’m getting is distance and elevation, then that isn’t even retaliation, it’s the next logical step.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a good point. And yes, if all I’m getting is distance and elevation, then that isn’t even retaliation, it’s the next logical step.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they take away the privacy option for Lamprey members tbh. As a subscriber, I’ll maybe raise this with them. 🙂

Edit – Speaking purely as a STW Lamprey….

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is it just me, or has the privacy zone gone if others have created them?

Just doing my usual quick scan of where others are riding, I swear there are a number of users where I’m seeing their rides start and finish from the same point (usually home), rather than seeing a small gap between their start and finish points.

endoverend

The only thing I’m going to miss is the personal historic segment comparisons…but I have a radical solution, I shall star the segments I’m bothered with (to see if I’m getting faster..or need to ‘train’ some more) – I shall buy a notebook and keep it by my computer and keep a log, you know with an old fashioned pencil and all…the notebook may cost £4 but it’ll last for many years – If I summon up both of my powers I may even be able to plot a graph.

Tbh, reading Strava’s email statement really grates. Its as if they think the only reason we ride is for some sort of community recognition for our ‘achievements’…No Strava, we’ve been enjoying riding our bikes for many decades before your social meeja reciprocal confirmation tool was even an electron itch at the base of your data-mining server.

thepurist

Lamprey members

Lamprey? I hand over a huge amount of useful data to Strava that they could be monetising.

bearGrease

Speaking purely as a STW Lamprey

So is this forum a surfeit of lampreys?

nopunk
    Free Member

@timbog160

Using a web browser (not the app); Go to your settings (drop down menu top right with your picture) > my account > Download or Delete Your Account (Get Started) > Select option 2

You will be emailed a link to download the archive

martinhutch

So is this forum a surfeit of lampreys?

Is Singletrack Towers the court of Henry VIII? Hopefully Hannah isn’t Anne Boleyn in this scenario.

timbog160

Thanks @nopunk will give that a go…

pedlad

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

Just doing my usual quick scan of where others are riding, I swear there are a number of users where I’m seeing their rides start and finish from the same point (usually home), rather than seeing a small gap between their start and finish points.

So are you suggesting that if I have privacy settings set up (as I do) but don’t subscribe those settings are not enacted? I’m sure the ICO would be interested in that if the case.

bearGrease

Is Singletrack Towers the court of Henry VIII?

Henry I shirley?

kimbers

Its a shame to lose my results comparison

but I dont pay for it so , cant really complain

I just use it to see how much ive cycled each month

perhaps they could give us the old free functionalities but with a micropayment of say £1 a month?

Id probably pay that, not sure if it would be enough tho

martinhutch

Henry I shirley?

That’s me taking the Strava approach to historical data. 🙂

mrhoppy

perhaps they could give us the old free functionalities but with a micropayment of say £1 a month?

Id probably pay that, not sure if it would be enough tho

They have 55m users and around 2.5% subscribed. So around £6-7M/month income. They only need to convert 10-15% of non subscribers to the £1 to double their gross income. I suspect they’d do much better than that TBH.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

So are you suggesting that if I have privacy settings set up (as I do) but don’t subscribe those settings are not enacted? I’m sure the ICO would be interested in that if the case.

Like I wrote, I’m not sure if privacy zones are being observed.

Pyro

Where does the ride start from your prospective?

a St Johns Ambulance station.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@Pyro @dangeourbrain Thanks, so my privacy setting is working!

Maybe it’s my imagination then, but I swear for the few people I follow, at a very casual look it seemed in recent weeks that their privacy zone had vanished… Maybe they simply got out of the habit of starting and ending their rides a short distance from home.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Where does the ride start from your prospective?

Dean Road, just north of the junction with Haynes Road

kerley
    Free Member

Would actually be better if each function can be subscribed to and the overall price is just a combination of which feature you switch on/off

For example I use segments times, but I don’t use route planning.

Can’t see them bothering to do that though as would be harder to implement, regression test etc,.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For example I use segments times, but I don’t use route planning.

Aye, I’m sure if ye go to sky, tell them you don’t watch football, they’ll reduce your fee accordingly, and Netflix, tell em ye avoid romcoms, they’ll maybe even refund you! 🙂

fooman

Strava

swavis

Genuine question, why do folk bother with Strava for counting mileage? Endomundo is far better for having a quick look at your totals I’ve always found.
    I’ve always thought of Strava as the one to use if you fancy some virtual racing that’s actually out side, kinda like a time trial against others at a time that suits you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Genuine question, why do folk bother with Strava for counting mileage? Endomundo is far better for having a quick look at your totals I’ve always found.

Because strava does my cycling and my running, manages my gear such as bike mileages and more importantly running shoe mileage. I don’t know anyone who uses endomondo tbh.

swavis

But if you’re just counting mileage it shouldn’t matter who you know that uses Endomundo.

Good point about Strava and your gear mileage though, Endo doesn’t do that, but you’ve always been able to count up separate activities.

I use both, Endo for free and paid up Strava, I still find Endo easier to see my totals of all sports or individually at a glance.

zippykona

Just got the free trial . The daily record of people on a segment is not there.

That was more relevant than anything as with the year timing you could be comparing a really mud time to a bone dry, non overgrown time.

Give me the daily stats and I’ll subscribe ,otherwise I’m out.

Or am I wrong?

peekay

@swavis

why?

Because I’ve used it for every ride and run since 2013/14, and everything is already there. I like to look at my total durations and distances over that time period. I’ve saved each activity as the correct sport, identifying which bike I used on any given ride. It shows me who I rode with. It is almost a diary and I don’t want to change the way I use it.

I rode a segment relatively local to me last week, thought ‘oh, I haven’t been down there for a while’ checked Strava and it appears I last went that way in September 2016, nice little ride that was in 2016, judging by the title Bob had a funny OTB, I remember it well in fact we still sometimes laugh about it but didn’t realise it was that long ago, had a couple of other mates with me that I haven’t seen for a few months, maybe I should see how they are doing, ah I added a photo of the mid ride pub stop, weather was great, looking forward to that pub being back open and sitting in the beer garden.

It is a diary. Other tools may also do similar, but I’m happy sticking with it for now. Given the use and enjoyment I’ve had from the free version over the years I’m going to pay for a couple of years and see it if or my use of it changes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But if you’re just counting mileage it shouldn’t matter who you know that uses Endomundo.

Not really got across what I meant, sorry. Because no one I know uses it, I’d never really heard of it until recently, so that’s whay I never used it.

Otherwise, peekay gets across some other good points about Strava tbh.

swavis

Ok, I guess it’s whatever you used all those years ago to begin with? Fair enough.

I started using Endomundo in late 2010 resisted Strava until 2012. I suppose I’ve always used Endo for the totals and Strava was far better at the competitive features like the segments.

daern
    Free Member

Used to use Endomondo, pre-Strava. Wouldn’t consider it again because getting my bloody data back out of it was a nightmare – needed to use some crazy browser scraping to extract my old rides.

Whatever else we might think about Strava, they at least have a sensible and easy to use data extract tool for if you want to leave and take your data with you.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looks like you can’t use the Route Creator if you aren’t a subscriber now.

kerley
    Free Member

Genuine question, why do folk bother with Strava for counting mileage?

I used it to log mileage along with checking on segment performance, KOMs etc,. If it never had the extra features I may not have used it to just log my mileage. May as well keep using it for that and hope that their business model doesn’t quite work out and the free subscribers disappear and they lose they audience that could convert to subscription so trying lure free users back.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Used to use Endomondo

I tried it today as my Tom tom watch talks to it. Distance and climbing are way off.

About 40% down on distance and 50 to 60 on the height gain.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I half take it back – I’d changed to metric in the app and it was showing metric units but still imperial distance. Logging in on the website has fixed that.

Height gain still significantly adrift though.

scotroutes

There’ll be a few folk waking up to some KOMs tomorrow. I’ve just marked all my Activities as Private, so I’ll be off all of the leaderboards now.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

In addition to Strava stalking I’m particularly passionate about FlyBys and can’t quite believe that it’s still free. It’s very good for drawing big cocks on a return journey after an especially popular ride like the London to Brighton or the Dunwich Dynamo when you know there’ll be loads of people recounting their rides on FlyBys and wondering what that massive cock-shaped ride is amongst all these moving avatars.

sirromj

I’m feeling pretty indifferent to it. There’s better free options for performance analysis. It’s the social thing really, and I like documenting with photos when I have time. I’ve mixed feelings about kudos, sometimes it’s just click click yep click click oh whatever click, just for the sake of it. Other times it can be a small motivator. There’s people who kudos every single ride following hundreds how much time to they spend ku-dossing? Strange. Local riding clubs dominated by kudos-seekers from the other side of the globe can make the groups meaningless. I don’t have a problem with them charging for the service they provide at all. They’re a business after all. Stalking others to compare segment times and see if they’ve discovered off road riding I haven’t is also a good part of it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

there’ll be loads of people recounting their rides on FlyBys and wondering what that massive cock-shaped ride is amongst all these moving avatars.

Maybe that’s why I never got fly bys. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a ride and not been well aware of who in the group is a massive cock.

anagallis_arvensis

There’ll be a few folk waking up to some KOMs tomorrow. I’ve just marked all my Activities as Private, so I’ll be off all of the leaderboards now.

Humblebrag!! 😁😁😁

weeksy

Wow…. there’s pretty much no more anything really is there. Weekly data, KOM, following, segments… all done and gone.

I can still see my monthly stats which is pretty much all i need. But they’ve really gone all out here to enforce it, you either pay up, or you get the best part of sod all.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah – it does show how much we were getting for free. At least you can still see your segment time compared to your best effort.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 378 total)

The topic ‘No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)’ is closed to new replies.