Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 378 total)
  • No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)
  • zippykona

Is there going to be an even more expensive version coming along that has everything we want?

If you’re already paying £50 it’s not much more to pay £65

roverpig

On the plus side, updates on VeloViewer are now faster as it doesn’t check segment positions 🙂

johnx2
    Free Member

…as I say I like strava and might subscribe. But, for many of us it is the segments that make strava, this is what other platforms don’t have, and it’s the users over the years who made the segments with their funny names/contested names and, frankly, wrong names (that’s not what it’s called!), leaderboard battles, memories of when the TdF rolled through and swept koms away etc.

I mean I could over do this, but this is user created content in a similar way to a climbing guidebook, with all the iconic route names and history. The users created it on the strava platform and strava are now monetising this content.

I’d probably do similar and with an attempt at a straight face say I was doing it for the wonderful community of athletes (yeah right), but wouldn’t expect people to be pleased if I was taking something they’d made away from them.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have done a couple of rides/walks since the changes.
    I’m pretty happy with what is in the free version – I can see if I got a PR on a section, post a pic, see my distances/time/calories, look at my friends’ rides and pictures.
    Never really bothered with the routes thing before (didn’t find it good for mountain biking – would rather download a GPX off a website and load it on my Garmin) and while I liked seeing where I was on a section in percentage terms (top 20% / bottom 20% etc), I wouldn’t pay for that.

13thfloormonk

There’ll be a few folk waking up to some KOMs tomorrow. I’ve just marked all my Activities as Private, so I’ll be off all of the leaderboards now.

Did you ever ride through Dundas estate? I (almost literally) strolled into an 8th place last night, still digesting a big dinner, not even trying hard, road turned to gravel for a long section and I was on the ‘good’ road bike etc.

Will add it to my collection of ‘results’ attained on extremely obscure segments…

noticing a few odd changes e.g. how it displays your previous results on a segment, and also two or three new segments seem to have popped up, not sure if segments that used to be private have been flushed out? Also have all non-subscribers been removed from historic leaderboards?

imnotverygood

. The users created it on the strava platform and strava are now monetising this content.

Yeah but the people at Strava actually created the platform in the first place. It’s like saying what makes a pub is the atmosphere so how dare the landlord charge for beer.

tjmoore

for many of us it is the segments that make strava, this is what other platforms don’t have,

Garmin Connect does, as does Trailforks (and is better focused to mtb plus has management of segments, dealing with sensitive tasks etc).

It’s users that make it. Strava has a huge amount. Garmin, while loads use the devices, few bother with Garmin Connect particularly creating segments and adding friends, but it’s all there. Trailforks has ride tracking and can sync from other services, and obviously the segments from the trails on there. Very few user it. Though their site needs a lot of work.

weeksy

Well, i’m in….signed up and paid up.

scotroutes

for many of us it is the segments that make strava, this is what other platforms don’t have,

I’ll be creating a few in Connect, just to measure my own performance. Other folk will no doubt ride most of them. C’est la vie.

scotroutes

Did you ever ride through Dundas estate? I (almost literally) strolled into an 8th place last night, still digesting a big dinner, not even trying hard, road turned to gravel for a long section and I was on the ‘good’ road bike etc.

Will add it to my collection of ‘results’ attained on extremely obscure segments…

What are you trying to say? 😉

daern
    Free Member

Sadly, round West Yorkshire there are relatively few “easy” KOMs, especially on tarmac:

“Oooh, maybe I’ll have a go at East Chevin Road – let’s see who’s got the KOM on there.”
    “Oh, it’s Greg Van Avermaet.”
    *opens a packet of crisps instead*

(That said, there are a few gravel bits where you can have a go, assuming Tom Pidcock’s not been down it yet!)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Will I get a notification from Strava if I inherit a KOM from private scotroutes? 😆

The new route builder has several elevation data changes in my favourite riding area, meaning I’ve got a handful of new cat4 segments to ride and then create. :nerd:

martinhutch

Well, i’m in….signed up and paid up.

You do realise there’s a 60 day free trial before you need to give them any money?

weeksy

Don’t know, don’t care either way mate. I’ve used it for 15 years without cost, if it starts today or in 60 days its all fair game.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But your 15 year free trial isn’t enough, you could have had 2 more months to decide if you like it.

weeksy

I’m not sure when it starts, i just clicked through and set it to charge via PPal monthly… Anyway, it all works nicely.

martinhutch

If you’ve been using it for 15 years, then you are basically founder/CEO, so charging you seems harsh. 🙂

weeksy

If you’ve been using it for 15 years, then you are basically founder/CEO, so charging you seems harsh

Well i moved to my village in 2007 when i got married and was using it then, so 13 years…. i wouldn’t like to say 100% i was using it before that, but i think so…

peekay

Wikipedia suggests it was founded and first released in 2009, so your memory is incorrect by quite a few years.

martinhutch

Well i moved to my village in 2007 when i got married and was using it then, so 13 years…. i wouldn’t like to say 100% i was using it before that, but i think so…

I wondered why you had all the KOMs at launch.

weeksy

seems so.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

But I’m still actually a bit fuzzy on what you pay now…
    I thought I’d take a look and see how the cost/benefits stack up these days, but I’m buggered if I can work it out looking at the desktop site, there’s a link to the “founders” open begging letter, there’s a comparison list of features for free vs sub so I sort of have an idea what you get and right down the bottom it says “Free 60day trial then $5 a month* (if you pay annually)”…

Well firstly what is it in GBP? Because frankly I don’t trust Yanks to do honest currency conversions.
    And what is it if I choose to pay monthly? Because quite honestly I might not want to give them £80 effing quid again for a full twelve months access to all the useless bells and whistles…

People keep saying £1 a week, is that the actual price or just a guestimate?

What page are you looking at?
    This page is a pretty clear summary of subscriber features and pricing in GBP, weird if you are not seeing it in £, are you on a vpn?

Then when you click to the next page it gives you the choice to pay annually, at equivalent to £4/month, or monthly for £6.99.
    Captureimage upload

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fastest ever commute to work this morning, in nearly 6 years of doing that route. Love Strava! 😄

anagallis_arvensis

I succumbed very easily, told mrs she should get it as with her doing much longer rides solo beacon would make me feel better. She said what about you, I said I didnt need it as I dont worry about me! Anyway we both subscribed…
    Did a pb up Killer Hill too without really trying so glad I did 😁😁😁

Kato

I currently pay $6.00 USD a month for my Strava. Are they putting the price up to £6.99 then?

whitestone
    Free Member

I currently pay $6.00 USD a month for my Strava. Are they putting the price up to £6.99 then?

No! As the above screenshot shows, it’s £48/pa so £4/month if you pay annually OR £6.99 per month if you pay monthly.

timbog160

Just lately I’ve been getting really annoyed with people on the trails, which are currently running super nice, getting in the way of me besting my segment times. On reflection, this is the sort of stress I don’t think I need in my life right now !! For that reason I’m going to resist and see if I can just enjoy my riding for what it is, and just use the basic logging functionality.

I’m not super opposed to paying though,and it doesn’t seem too bad a cost, so if I miss it too much I will probably cough up.

Kato

But I don’t pay annually. I pay monthly and what I pay doesn’t equate to either the £4 a month yearly or £6.99 monthly rolling

I pay $6.00 rolling monthly and have done for years. So what I want to know is are they putting my fees up to £6.99?

Doesn’t seem to be any indication and they’ve certainly not contacted me to say they are changing my subscription costs

robowns
    Free Member

I totally understand if people don’t want to pay, but to believe basically the whole platform (atleast the most popular parts) could be free for ever just isn’t realistic.

I’m still undetermined on whether I’ll pay for it as I’m not that bothered about leaderboards, but absolutely appreciate the reason the change was made.

As per many above, I do pay for Zwift and genuinely believe that offers value – helps motivate me to ride harder when just churning away on a turbo wouldn’t.

jam-bo

OR £6.99 per month if you pay monthly.

I currently pay £2.49 a month, does that mean mines going up or do I get grandfather rights?

russyh
    Free Member

It would appear I scored a top 10 on a segment in Mallards Pike FOD today, but I can’t see any details.   …sad times, but still don’t value that information at £6.99 a month.  I also hope everyone slamming others who have a problem with the price are subscribers here…

colournoise

Have been a Strava subscriber for a while now. No specific reason, just seemed the decent thing to do when I like what they offer given the cost.

Been playing with Garmin Connect segments a bit tonight just to see how it compares. Apart from the apparently WAY smaller ‘connected’ userbase, segments you create don’t seem to historically populate with previous activities – they only ‘exist’ from the point you create them? A bit irritating if true, even if you only want to compare you with you.

Can’t see any real reason to stop giving the big bad S my money for my use of it.

Business needs to make money. Who’d have thunk it?

scotroutes

they only ‘exist’ from the point you create them? A bit irritating if true, even if you only want to compare you with you.

You can go back to earlier Activities, scroll down, select “Segments” and then “Match New Segments”. It’s only one Activity at a time though.

terry27
    Free Member

Agreed.  If you want something you gotta pay for it.  Strava has been free to use for so long, people have come to expect it/take it for granted.  If you don’t start paying now, you might just miss it when it’s gone.

terry27
    Free Member

🙂

martinhutch

Here’s a new thing for all us freeloaders – anyone else getting ‘too many requests’ returned by browsing the site while logged in? Seems to be a device to stop apis etc overloading the servers asking for data.

Literally logged on, looked at a couple of old rides and a couple of segments on them this morning…perhaps the threshold has been lowered significantly for non-members?

This is on PC, not on the phone app itself, which seems to be working fine.

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch – not for me (Chrome on Mac). Went through about ten rides of various people and looked at about ten segments.

russyh
    Free Member

Agreed.  If you want something you gotta pay for it.  Strava has been free to use for so long, people have come to expect it/take it for granted.  If you don’t start paying now, you might just miss it when it’s gone.

Happy to pay, just not £6.99 a month.

martinhutch

not for me (Chrome on Mac). Went through about ten rides of various people and looked at about ten segments.

It seems to have recovered now – must have needed the venture capitalists to send over some emergency hamsters.

EDIT: I take it back, it’s doing it again. I wonder if it’s related to the Elevate api, which is still successfully harvesting my segment positions.

ta11pau1

Improved impossible effort detection… False KOMs, QOMs, CRs dethroned!

They need to get this working better, I ran a slightly different way today and recorded a time on a segment, just interested to see what the times were and the top 2 times (for a 0.66km running segment) were 25-30 seconds… I mean come on now.

It so happens that the segment runs along a railway line, so the KOM and second place were both from people on a train. Flagged both, but I shouldn’t have to considering they were travelling at speeds that are humanly impossible…

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 378 total)

The topic ‘No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)’ is closed to new replies.