Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 378 total)
  • No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)
  • scotroutes

Here’s a new thing for all us freeloaders – anyone else getting ‘too many requests’ returned by browsing the site while logged in? Seems to be a device to stop apis etc overloading the servers asking for data.

I’ve just had that. I wonder if lots of folk are doing bulk downloads of all their data prior to quitting Strava?

kerley
    Free Member

Logged ride yesterday for first time since changes and it does now seem pointless as I compared my previous times every ride and not having that means there is nothing for me to use it for other than see my monthly/annual mileage which I don’t really care about.

~£5 a month is not worth paying just to see MY previous times so will probably stop using it all together now.

martinhutch

I’ve just had that. I wonder if lots of folk are doing bulk downloads of all their data prior to quitting Strava?

I’m pretty convinced that they haven’t sorted out the changes with Elevate, so it is still continually requesting data which isn’t available. Elevate can fetch the segment position data still, but mostly buffers when getting the ‘best time’ and ‘best 2020 time’. Presumably there is a reduced threshold for max requests for non-subscribers. But it just gives the impression that Strava itself is a pile of broken junk, which isn’t the best incentive to give them money.

I wonder if lots of folk are doing bulk downloads of all their data prior to quitting Strava?

What format does it deliver your data in? Loads of individual gpx files?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Strava won’t even let you compare your own rides/runs against yourself as it used to, only a week or so ago.
    Anyway the concept of software sub for this sucks. Its just a bloody database and some graphs 5$ a month? 60$ a year?? I’d pay 5 or 10 quid for ourtright purchase and a couple of quid a year for updates.
    Anyway I record now using this great free and private app.
    https://myworkouts.org/

LittleNose
    Free Member

What format does it deliver your data in? Loads of individual gpx files?

yep it seems to be that way, along with a set of CSV files with other data. Wish I’d kepts all my fit files in a folder somewhere.

~£5 a month is not worth paying just to see MY previous times so will probably stop using it all together now.

This sums up how I feel about Strava payments too. Until I find another workflow I will keep data going into Strava as a central repository that other ‘apps’ can get the data from, but as soon as I’m sorted, I’ll cut ties.
    I’ll miss the social side of Strava, but without being able to check my time comparisons easily, it’s not something I’m likely to log into at anymore.

Spent an hour with Golden Cheetah to see if I can get a simple workflow going there. So far it seems like a battle for me to get to grips with, and is focussed on power meter data.
    So, I suspect it’s time to write a script to look at the few segments I check my history on.

Unfortunately, it’s also having a knock on effect for 3rd party developers. I’ve just cancelled my VeloViewer sub, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s cancelled a subscription because of this.

supernova

No more Grade Adjusted Pace figures for running either. They always used to make me feel better about being so slow.

roverpig

It’s funny, I used to always check segments after a ride. Not so much the leaderboard as my own history. Now I can’t check I’m beginning to wonder why I ever cared. My time was mainly down to the conditions (wind, trail etc) so it all seems rather pointless now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

#flouncefest 🤣

colournoise

Have I missed a ‘sample period’ setting in Garmin Connect?

Have set up a few test segments there to compare with Strava (I currently sub). Connect seems set up to deal with looooong segments even more than Strava is. Same data recorded on a Garmin device – the Connect segment shows way less data points than the Strava one. An admittedly short downhill run on today’s ride was 42 seconds on Strava which is about right, but on Connect it’s come up as 22 seconds and 50+ kmh which is nonsense. Can’t understand why Garmin would strip data points out from their own device’s recording (unless Strava is interpolating madly?).

So, guess I’ll carry on paying to compare myself with myself…

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Strava route planner has become unusable. I’ve trying to plot a route through a condensed area using the web app and it’s auto selecting the most popular route. I’ve toggled-off ‘use the most popular route’ but it’s still auto selecting the most popular route. I’ve tried using manual plotting but it takes an awful lot longer.

Can you plot routes on Komoot? From what I’ve seen you can only give it a start and a destination but I haven’t spent much time with it yet.

kerley
    Free Member

It’s funny, I used to always check segments after a ride. Not so much the leaderboard as my own history. Now I can’t check I’m beginning to wonder why I ever cared. My time was mainly down to the conditions (wind, trail etc) so it all seems rather pointless now.

Good point. I suppose changes like this do lead you to question/think about what you have been doing out of habit and whether thet is a habit that you stop or a habit that you start paying for.

spooky_b329

I think anyone already paying will keep their existing price.

I have been paying £5.99 monthly for two years (fool) and recently changed it to an annual subscription. I was pleased to see it treated it as a continued subscription and it works out at £3.79 a month rather than £4.

Now what am I going to spend my £2.52 annual saving on?

scotroutes

Can you plot routes on Komoot? From what I’ve seen you can only give it a start and a destination but I haven’t spent much time with it yet.

Yep. You can even do “off-route” planning, though that’s not so intuitive. There are various tutorials on YouTube.

sirromj

Spent an hour with Golden Cheetah to see if I can get a simple workflow going there. So far it seems like a battle for me to get to grips with, and is focussed on power meter data.
    So, I suspect it’s time to write a script to look at the few segments I check my history on.

GC has a bit of a learning curve, but once you’ve got it setup how you like it’s pretty simple. It will do intervals/segments quite easily. Just flick to the map tab (change the map settings to OpenStreetmap to remove the API warning) and select on the map by dragging the mouse along your route. At the bottom of the left hand pane are 3 icons, click the timer to bring up the intervals panel. You’ll then see your selection under the ‘USER’ intervals named something like ‘Selection #1’, click it to show the info. Right click for more info/options, such as ‘create route segment’. Drag and drop the route segment onto the map and it’ll ask for date ranges.

I’ve only just realized you can compare entire activities by dragging+dropping them from the left panel into the main screen!

LittleNose
    Free Member

GC has a bit of a learning curve, but once you’ve got it setup how you like it’s pretty simple…..

Thanks for the tips… I think I’m slowly getting there with it.

scotroutes

Have set up a few test segments there to compare with Strava (I currently sub). Connect seems set up to deal with looooong segments even more than Strava is. Same data recorded on a Garmin device – the Connect segment shows way less data points than the Strava one. An admittedly short downhill run on today’s ride was 42 seconds on Strava which is about right, but on Connect it’s come up as 22 seconds and 50+ kmh which is nonsense. Can’t understand why Garmin would strip data points out from their own device’s recording (unless Strava is interpolating madly?).

As it’s just a short segment, I’d have a look at the original .gpx file in a text editor and see how many trackpoints there are. I can’t imagine why Connect would show fewer.

One thing to check is that Connect isn’t using a .fit file instead of a .gpx file. This might be more of an issue if you any external sensors attached to your Garmin as .fit file intervals might then be affected. In fact, I’d plug my Garmin into a computer, extract the relevant .gpx file and try uploading that to Connect in order to compare the results.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m not mega arsed about the segments these days, but I do use Strava to log my mileage and keep track of my training. I’ve found this week that the main thing I used without even realising it was the monthly mileage figure which used to be displayed at the top of my feed in the app, and it’s now gone. You can still do it on the website, but not in the app.

Do Endomondo or any of the others let you quickly and easily see what your monthly mileage is in an android app?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Do Endomondo or any of the others let you quickly and easily see what your monthly mileage is in an android app?

Very easy on Endomondo. Look at your history and select month/week/day from the burger menu. Only been using it for a few weeks mind so how intuitive the display will be after a few months is another matter.

It does consistently read low on the climbing from my tomtom though. May differ if recorded with another device or in app

mbt130s

Businesses have to make a profit. Giving everything away for free doesn’t so Strava have no choice or they will cease to exist. £48 a year is not a lot at the end of the day.

munrobiker
    Free Member

But people can’t subscribe to everything. If you paid for everything that was offered on subscription you’d end up pretty poor-Spotify, Strava, Netflix, Prime, Wiggle Premium, Singletrack Premier, Sky- it’d add up to a hell of a lot a month . For me a bike app is down the list of essentials and I’m happy to not pay for it and not use it if that’s the alternative.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For me a bike app is down the list of essentials

And that’s sort of it for me. Ultimately it would be £48pa for a nicer display than my gps’ native one. Other people’s usage my differ obviously but for me, strava never offered anything but a slightly better way of viewing data I had else where, it didn’t really give me anything or enable me to do anything I couldn’t do perfectly well without. It might only be £5 a month or what ever but it would be the same to me as spending £5 a month, every month, on a new in game hair style for fortnite or what ever I wouldn’t do that either.

Obviously not every one is the same and I can completely understand why some people would be willing to pay in but (I hope) that’s because they’re getting more out of it than a pretty orange skin for their gps data.

scotroutes

Businesses have to make a profit. Giving everything away for free doesn’t so Strava have no choice or they will cease to exist. £48 a year is not a lot at the end of the day.

I think most folk appreciate that it costs Strava to provide all of those functions and folk who use them all may well find that is still VFM. However, most folk are only using a few functions and while they might be willing to pay a little for those, don’t see the value in paying for bits they don’t use.

The difficulty Strava has is getting enough £48 per year subscriptions. Let’s say a £20 per year subscription might have got 5 times the number of subscribers. That would plainly be a better option for them.

sirromj

One thing to check is that Connect isn’t using a .fit file instead of a .gpx file. This might be more of an issue if you any external sensors attached to your Garmin as .fit file intervals might then be affected. In fact, I’d plug my Garmin into a computer, extract the relevant .gpx file and try uploading that to Connect in order to compare the results.

I was going to say .fit are Garmin’s native file format and that’s where the data is, but it turns out some newer Garmin devices record in both .fit and .gpx or one or the other. On my Edge 510 there’s only .fit files (except when I drop a GPX route into the ‘new files’ folder). I can though set the recording interval to ‘smart’ or ‘1 second’.

There’s a FAQ answer about the two coexistence of the two formats on new devices but it doesn’t give anything away.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The difficulty Strava has is getting enough £48 per year subscriptions. Let’s say a £20 per year subscription might have got 5 times the number of subscribers. That would plainly be a better option for them.

If you believed what people say, then yes, I’d agree, but lots of the ones saying if only it was a couple of quid still wouldn’t pay.

The same reason that sky is so expensive, if Murdoch thought he’d make more money by halving the monthly cost, he’d have done it years ago.

For Strava, time will tell.

nuke

The difficulty Strava has is getting enough £48 per year subscriptions. Let’s say a £20 per year subscription might have got 5 times the number of subscribers. That would plainly be a better option for them..

This is certainly true for me…I’d happily pay £20 or so a year for the functionality now lost to the subscription side as that’s all I need but Im not keen on paying £48 for the functionality Ive lost & the additional functionality I wont use.

DickBarton

I’m 19 quid for the year…which I thought was great, but apparently I’ve got everything until a point in August then if I don’t want to pay 48 quid for the year I drop down to free.

I think I’ll just leave Strava then as I don’t seem to use any of the paid-for stuff as I use it elsewhere.

They should make it cheaper to have more people thinking it is worth it, but then the perception of lower quality starts creeping in.

Garmin would be fine if it allowed a much more accurate positioning of segment start and end points…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is there a way to auto upload rides from Endomondo to Connect? I already use Connect because I have a Garmin but I don’t use it every ride. It’d be nice to use Endomondo on my phone and then send those rides to Connect where I have a bit of history.

scotroutes

The same reason that sky is so expensive, if Murdoch thought he’d make more money by halving the monthly cost, he’d have done it years ago.

If it was that straightforward, Murdoch would hike the Sky TV subscription price up by 4 fold and chuck in Sports and Movies “for free”.  Somewhere long the line there is a balance and folk who use more of the service expect to pay more for it. Folk not using it all don’t get VFM.

Strava may well have done their market research and modelled the results to come up with what we see now. If the model is way out then they’ll either makes loads of extra money or will be bankrupt in a year.

scotroutes

Is there a way to auto upload rides from Endomondo to Connect? I already use Connect because I have a Garmin but I don’t use it every ride. It’d be nice to use Endomondo on my phone and then send those rides to Connect where I have a bit of history.

I don’t think such a thing exists. You’d have to manually upload each one.

FWIW, I always thought it would be great if Connect would run as a stand-alone recording app but I know that Garmin would rather sell hardware, so that would eat into their revenue.

mahalo

Really like the new route planner, especially being able to zoom right in on the heat map!!

eyestwice
    Free Member

New route planner is indeed ace.

I just don’t understand why it’s acceptable to love a product yet bemoan the act of paying for it.

If all you want to do is compare your own times then ditch Strava. Because:

* Suunto have their own app
    * Garmin have their own app
    * TomTom have their own app

Etc. (Admittedly just ran out of examples 😀 )

All of which allow you to compare your times. If they don’t show the segments that you’re interested in then that’s because they don’t have the crowd-sourcing benefit that Strava has. In other words, that bit that people don’t want to pay for.

I prefer riding to watching TV. So if cost was really an issue, I’d bin Netflix and ride.

I genuinely do not understand why people think the features of Strava should be free.

DickBarton

Can you connect Endomondo and Garmin Connect? If so, upload to Garmin Connect and it should then send the file to Endomondo – same as how it works for Strava.

I’m happy to keep paying 19 as I don’t need/use or have any interest in most of the features, so to is too much for what I use and it isn’t value for money, but each to their own.

kerley
    Free Member

I genuinely do not understand why people think the features of Strava should be free.

Maybe because they have been for the last 10 years? I can see that a business can’t offer everything for free (without advertising) so has to charge and I am not feeling anyone on this thread doesn’t also see that.
    The point is that the few features many of use use are not worth £48 a year so we just go without the features app altogether.

No loss to Strava as we weren’t paying anyway but if they had a tiered model where different features were provided at different prices they may have kept a few people using it and also now paying for it. As they would clearly have done more research into it than I have then that is probably not the case and better to just lose the freeloaders who will move to other free apps

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They are trying to cover too many features and expecting members to pay for a load of features that they regard as being of little use, because often there are better apps/sites out that offer these features and sometimes for free.

Strava’s real niche is segments, but they need so much of a clean up (ones that are far too short and highlight just how much variance there is between gps logging devices to get “fair” time comparisons, while there are also loads with ridiculous elevation data and others that deviation way off the actual road/path) that they should probably just delete the lot of have far more stringment “rules” about creating replacements.

Looks like even though my £18.99 Summit Analysis pack doesn’t expire until December, they intend to force my hand to either get basic free or pay £47.99 from August 19th. I quite like my segments, I quite like creating new ones (especially categorized climbs), but I’m doubtful I’m willing to pay £47.99 a year for it.

hooli

I see they have added the “rides on this route” field which has been on the running side for a few years. It is quite handy to see your progress without creating obscure segments that only I will ride.

I recently started using the routes feature too, does anybody know if there is a way to show footpaths vs bridleways? I am not against the odd footpath at quiet times but would prefer to know when I map the route out.

13thfloormonk

Any other subscribers not seeing themselves on segment leaderboards?

Lots of new segments today, so obviously no PRs on segments I’ve not ridden, but I don’t appear on any of the leaderboards at all (and yes, I’ve checked my usual haunts, seven pages back etc.)

Almost as if Strava thinks I haven’t subscribed.

Anyone else?

13thfloormonk

Ah well, problem solved, did the privacy equivalent of turning it off and turning it back on again (made private, made visible to everyone) and leaderboard placings appeared.

Needless to say, not worth the effort after all 😉

dyls

Seems the yearly Summits pack I got in January is ending in August – anyone know if we are getting a refund if we paid for 12 months but are only getting 7?

Personally if I were strava I’d try a yearly fee of £5.99 / £9.99 and bank on much more subscribing up to it. Just my thoughts though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why since this update have I started getting emails anytime anyone kudos a ride or my friends complete a ride.

I’ve been in and made. Sure email and all push notifications are off …turned them off and then on again.

I’ve even flagged then as spam on outlook app.

They are still getting through.

That will drive me to delete my account more than any charging of money will.

Kryton57

I had a 1 pack Sub. It says it’ll be renewed at £18.99 in Jan 21.  Will that be replaced by £48 in August i don’t downgrade to free?

im only really interested in ride recordings and reviewing my own routes and rides and KM per month, will it give me that?

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 378 total)

The topic ‘No more Strava KOMs (unless you pay)’ is closed to new replies.