Home Forums Bike Forum New waterproof jacket time – your recommendations please

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • New waterproof jacket time – your recommendations please
  • prettygreenparrot

Not sure if this question has been posed today on the forum but … which waterproof jackets do folks recommend?

Looking for a replacement for my Alpkit Balance and wondering about trying a different brand.

I’m after a waterproof, breathable, durable shell that can be rolled/folded small enough for stuffing in a backpack or other bag along with other stuff and that will do well for both cycling and hiking. As well as that I want these features:

• hood big enough to go over a helmet that can be cinched down to just go over my medium-sized head
    • ‘handwarmer’ pockets
    • hook-loop wrist adjusters
    • Zippable vents

I’d be pleased if it also had

• Pocket(s) big enough for a waterproof OS map
    • Napoleon pocket
    • Zippable internal pocket

Doesn’t matter if the hood is removable or not.

Would be neat if it were available in red or orange but black is a fine alternative.

Ones I’ve spotted so far include

• GORE Endure
    • Endura MT500 II
    • Showers Pass Refuge
    • Showers Pass Timberline

The Showers Pass ones look pretty neat, but their range is wide so I might have missed a ‘perfect’ one.

I’ll set a notional price limit of £300 since that includes my current list with a bit of a margin and does not account for e.g. introductory or member discounts.

Have used my MT500 for hiking once and it’s far from a perfect hiking jacket, but it sufficed and I was surprised how far I could cinch the absolutely massive helmet hood down

Kramer
    Free Member

Gore last far longer than MT500 in my experience.

I wouldn’t go back to Endura, having had two of them delaminate, and had a Gore jacket last longer than both of them put together.

prettygreenparrot

…it’s far from a perfect hiking jacket…

Should I take that as a ‘it’s a good jacket and you could use it for both but ..’ recommendation?

Should I take that as a ‘it’s a good jacket and you could use it for both but ..’ recommendation?

Definitely better as a biking jacket, as that’s what it was designed for

Not had it long enough, or had a Gore to agree or disagree with Kramer’s comment

Kramer
    Free Member

When I bought my first MT500 I liked it so much I bought another one in Orange for my commute. Both delaminated after a year or two.

thelawman

I sent a MT500 to LSR for retaping the hood & shoulders last week, and they basically condemned it as gubbed due to delamination. “Put the money towards a new one”. To be fair, it was probably 6 or 7 years old but hadnt had a particularly hard life.
    Hence watching this thread with interest.

hot_fiat

I’ve a refuge and while I think it’s the nutts nuts (the ass flap  is a genius touch) it won’t take an OS map. Their customer service is stunning too – they sent me a free hood to patch a previous refuge that I’d torn in a crash.

dthom3uk

I have an MT500 and have found it to be pretty disappointing.   I was sat in the grandstand at Fort William when the deluge started at the world champs.  I threw it on over a t-shirt and within about 20 minutes I could feel water penetrating through.  I have re-proofed it a number of times and it never seems to bead as well as it did when it was brand new.  It has some nice features, the vents and the hood are good but for the price I don’t feel it does its primary job very well.

robertajobb

Big big ‘yes’ to Showers Pass stuff.  I’ve got 2 of their bike jackets  (the ‘elite 2.1’ for commute + mtb, and the ‘spring Classics’ for being a roadie (as it packs down smaller so I can still get it in (large) a Jersey pocket).  Really happy with both, just feel well made and ‘quality’.  Had them just over 2 years so far. Still seem like new.

I prefer riding without a hood (just don’t like the restriction on vision and hearing) but the 2.1 has the option of a add-on hood.

The other alternative, if you’re those way inclined, may be a Paramo jacket. I’ve been using a ‘Velez Adventure Light Smock’ for general waterproof duties,  which may be worth a look ? It’s quite light weight, and  really comfy. (I’ve not ridden with the hood up on it though – as per my dislike of hoods when biking).   My best mate and riding buddy swears by his – he’s been using one for mtb and quite a lot of walking (unless the weather is truly filthy when walking) for nearly 10 years now.

nickc

I’ve a Montane PacLite Plus for the sorts of raining all day rides.

Pros

It’s very waterproof, the hood is very adjustable, as are the cuffs, has hand pockets at least, two way zip, your can cinch it down snugly, it’s pretty robust. It’s not teeny-tiny but rolls down pretty small.

Cons

like all jackets with hoods what happens at the neck when you do the zip up all the way can be uncomfy or just irritatingly in the way, and you do end up either rolling it down, or unzipping it a bit, The hood doesn’t have a tie down, (grrrr) it does (like all of them I suppose) get a wee bit warm, and doesn’t have any cooling zips. It’s pretty roomy/boxy for a medium. It doesn’t have the big map pocket that you’re looking for

It does everything for me from commuting to hiking, and does it well enough that I’m not actively looking for another jacket.

scruff9252

I’ve been getting quite a few ads for Revolution Race – heard good things about their trousers but their waterproofs look fairly decent too?

Anyone got an experience of them

gotbike
    Free Member

I got a Gore Endure a few months ago and it’s been ace! Was kept very dry today on the commute from Sheffield to Chesterfield using it today, and equally was very breathable over the summer when pedalling a RocketMAX up climbs in Samoens. The cheapest I found it was on SportPursuit – it took a little while for one in medium to come up so had to keep checking for a week or so. Think they only have it in ultramarine blue.

prettygreenparrot

The other alternative, if you’re those way inclined, may be a Paramo jacket

I’ve a Paramo jacket I use for winter walking. Like it. But too bulky and way too hot for MTB for me these days.

Thanks for the details on your Showers Pass choices.

Revolution Race

I’ve a couple of pairs of their trousers. Hadn’t noticed they did waterproof jackets. Hesitant as the reason I have 2 pairs of their trousers is that the returns process was totally brexited for me.

mudfish

Paramo seems a good idea.
    no DWR AFIK

I’m still using an ancient Buffalo Teclite “shirt” which I like a lot l, I didn’t like their bike specific one so I put up with loose sleeves – I get hot so often switch to the unlined Buffalo “shirt” https://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/curbar-windtop/#:~:text=1%20Review&text=I%20was%20looking%20for%20a,it%20without%20a%20base%20layer.

Buffalo are a great concept  –  The MountainRescue guys use em  (Super 6 Shirt I think)

My Showers Pass jacket wetted out fast from new. So stops breathing and gets wet inside. Nice design and well made but the DWR is not good.
    Really – DWR isn’t durable anyway now the nasty chemicals have been banned.
    But this jacket isn’t even sufficiently water repellent.

My Endura MT 600 seam tapes soon fell off. It was a gift. Endura just didn’t want to know and insisted I go to the dealer. Of course I couldn’t. Wouldn’t buy their waterproofs again.

If you have have Goretex then Gore is probably best. Their warranty seems great. Sweet protection are ok too but may not have the features you want.

bloody DWR needs redoing SO often it’s crackers.

mudfish

Years ago I had The North Face’s first bike jacket. 2 later laminate.
    It delaminated.

I sent it in to claim on their “lifetime guarantee” they said it had lasted past its lifetime.

I wonder what a lawyer would have said about that! I noticed they stopped selling laminated bike jackets back then.

laminated fabric is a pretty crap idea overall imo.

goby

Any one tried the Keela saxon jacket, i know its not full of pockets etc but look like a good light weight waterproof?

didnthurt

I have a Gore cycling one that has been good over the last three years. I’ve worn hillwalking in the snow and it was great. But typically with Gore, they tend to update their line up every year so mine doesn’t exactly match what they currently sell.

When this one wears out, I’d look to get another Gore one.

didnthurt

IME to minimise your jacket from delaminating from your sweat, rinse the jacket in just water regularly, wear a long sleeve top/base layer with it.

nickc

Buffalo are a great concept

For some things I reckon. 20 years ago I bought a super 6 and I wore it maybe once or twice to cycle in. Anything other than Z2 type steady riding in the very cold, and I’d probably pass out through overheating, and the tech-lite just felt to vulnerable to me to wear just by itself next to skin.

PolisherMan
    Free Member

I had a Keela Saxon. Loved it, very underated jacket it think. Great hood. Not the best fabric, got about 3 years from it. Good value for money. Would buy again.

anderzz
    Free Member

Revolution Race cyclone?

Gribs

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/rockrider-st-700-rain-jacket-review-70-brilliance/

I’ve got one and it’s a great biking jacket. It’s tough, waterproof and cheap enough use in winter slop. It’s not really cut right to double up as a walking jacket but at £70 it leaves plenty from your budget to get a dedicated one.

robertajobb

One other think about Endura. BUYER BEWARE !

They  were totally **** to try to deal with when a waterproof I had of theirs  fell apart with a foot long seam opening up into a big hole because it hadn’t been stitched properly – or in fact at all  (the material on one side of the seam felt  the needle – was folded and tucked under a seam so lasted a few of few rides before literally 1/2 the length of the arm seam opened up.  They showed complete distain for me as a customer who’d bought thousands of £££ of their products previously, asking for this clear manufacturing defect to be repaired. Lied, saying it couldn’t be fixed. TOTAL BS.  Alpkit sorted it for me in their repairs dept without any drama and for only a few sheckles. Polar opposites in terms of customer service

You’ve been warned !

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

I’ve just got an endura singletrack II waterproof jacket delivered for 85 quid from some shop in germany called alpine trek, yet to use it though but initially it seems good quality, guess time will tell. I’ve been using their Singletrack pants since spring though and had no issues with the quality of them, if anything they’ve been really durable.

Problem with me is I usually need a 3xl as biking clobber tends to run tight for fitting and endura is one of the few companies who continue to sell 3xl biking gear.

prettygreenparrot

Thanks for the info so far.

Looking like a choice between the Showers Pass Refuge & the Gore Endure. Both about the same price with discounts (STW 20% on Showers Pass, 15% with Gore first order ?).

Showers Pass looks like a more multipurpose jacket and the Gore one more cycling-focused (as you’d expect I suppose). Seems like a trade off of features against weight and bulk.

Some differing experiences with Endura. I’ve had a few pairs of their shorts & zip-off trouser/shorts. Old ones lasted ages. New ones seem a bit more fragile on the stitching and seams. I’m sure it’s manufacturing rather than trying to squeeze a bigger body into the same sizes.

mjsmke

I was recommended one of these:

Link

Very pleased with it. Folds up small enough to store in a backpack too.

scc999

Another vote for “not Endura”. Got an MT 500 II jacket, after not particularly heavy use it’s delaminating and the “welded” (glued) napolean pocket has fallen apart. Also the hood stowage solution is rubbish!

I like both the Gore Endure and the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 from what I can see. But the Gore doesn’ have any venting zips and the Showers Pass doesnt come with a hood (you can buy one seperately which doesnt fill me with confidence that it will be well designed!)

Any Endure users that can convince me I dont need vents on it or Elite users that can vouch for the hood?

hooli

I had an Endura MT500 and it was good for a few months until I stupidly lost it, I took it off mid ride and strapped it to my pack at Afan and it wasn’t there when we stopped. I retraced my steps but couldn’t find it.

It was quite warm (and I run hot) so more for winter than summer showers but it remained waterproof after 5 or 6 wet outings. I will more than likely get another before winter.

I did try the decathlon one mentioned above but the arms were too short for me, I also tried an Altura nightvision which looked good but the sleeves were too skinny to wear with elbow pads.

MadBillMcMad

So based on OPs earlier comments you won’t agree but I’ll still say it, 😊

Love my paramo ciclo especially for all day or multi day rides, especially in the shorter day months.

And talking buffalo, last year I got the alpkit copy. Absolutely love it. Wore nothing underneath, amazing

In summer IMO just get something light and CHEAP. It’s generally warm rain. If its not I take the paramo.

zippykona

How does that decathlon jacket size up?
    40 inch chest.

Also the hood stowage solution is rubbish!

I didn’t know the MT500 II even had hood stowage tbh

robo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 7-Mesh Skypilot and it’s fantastic – Gore paclite, a great on the bike fit and I wear it walking as well.  For frequent wet-weather winter use I’d probably look at their heavier weight Copilot jacket. They’re expensive but have good sales periodically.

prettygreenparrot

Bought a Showers Pass Refuge.

Great help from Fraser at Showers Pass when my STW discount code wouldn’t work.

Ordered late afternoon Friday. Arrived yesterday. Neat thin cardboard box parcel. Jacket looks good. Might get to try it out in today’s rain, er yay!

Thanks for the many suggestions and experiences shared.

chiefgrooveguru

“How does that decathlon jacket size up?
    40 inch chest.”

Mine is a large. I’m about a 43” chest and 33” waist (buy medium/large tops, small/medium bottoms) and it’s a good fit on me, quite neat on the hips with a fair bit more shoulder room. Surprisingly slender sleeves but I’m used to Paramo jackets with big ventable sleeves.

Not sure it’s really the perfect winter jacket if you live in the south and run warm and spend a lot of time in the shelter of the woods but other than that it’s pretty good. Am going to try it for commuting!

BadlyWiredDog

Paramo seems a good idea.
    no DWR AFIK

Paramo relies on regular reproofing to keep the outer fabric repelling water and the inner, liner stuff working. It doesn’t work the same way as a membrane-based jacket, but still uses a DWR treatment and relies on it heavily to work properly. I find Paramo too warm for biking outside full-on, deep winter conditions, sub-zero or close to it basically but ymmv.

My take, fwiw, is that bike jackets aren’t generally great for walking/hiking – the hoods tend to be limiting – if they fit over a helmet they tend to be a hard to adjust/floppy fit on a bare head and often there is no decent peak either. Most walking jackets won’t have a hood that’ll sit over a helmet, because walkers don’t wear helmets, but shells aimed at climbers are often/usually/should be helmet friendly. And then there’s fit.

I tend to wear bike- or hike-specific jackets for this reason, though random circumstances meant I recently ended up wearing an ME Makalu mountain jacket on a mountain bike for a couple of hours. It wasn’t great on a bike, too bulky, a little loose, but it was okay I guess and was a far better mountain walking shell than any of my bike jackets.

Basically you’re compromising somewhere, you need to decide where is my take.

chiefgrooveguru

Also, Paramo loses its waterproofing when dirty whilst most jackets just lose breatheability – when I need a waterproof is when I’m getting covered in mud, and I want as little washing hassle as possible after a muddy ride. I’m quite a fan of Paramo waterproofs for everything apart from MTBing!

luket

Similar experience here with the MT500. I really like(d) the fit and design of it and although I bought it for riding I use it for just general out and about too. More in fact. But, it’s delaminating now and heavy rain now soaks through in a short time. Email issues mean I don’t know its age but I think <2 years of fairly light use. Shame, especially given it’s a fairly weighty fabric.

I have a suspicion the Endura Singletrack may have much better longevity – I have the overalls and they seem to be doing fine, albeit much less tested so far. A more rubbery sort of material, so perhaps a lot less breathable.

zippykona

Has anyone managed to bring their MT500 back to life?
    I sent mine away to Grangers and I’m still not happy with it.
    No beading whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.