Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • New Transition Spur
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Guys, it’s not down country! It’s all country – do keep up!

pipm1
    Free Member

Isn’t all country like saying going across country…

lawman91

Saw one in the LBS today, was all set on a Ripley V4 but after being completely blanked by Ibis UK over a demo I’ve lost faith in them, not even bothered answering my email. Don’t mind not being able to try one out, but answering an email with a quick response is not hard…

The Spur looks amazing the flesh, the Deep Sea Green is stunning and it’s so damn light, the GX build in medium was bang on the claimed weight, so fully believe higher builds will be as light as they say. T130 is 4 years old in August so due something new, just whether to go frame and build or go for a stock build…

flange
    Free Member

This is exactly the sort of bike I want. For riding in the south east round FC land, places like Bedgebury, Thetford and so on it would be perfect. I’ve always wanted something between my 29er Anthem and Stumpjumper and I think this could be just the ticket.

richardkennerley

I was bankng on getting two bikes when I inevitably win the dream bike competition, but this has scuppered that. £6000! Oof, not much left over for a swanky road bike.

robj20
    Free Member

Love the look of the latest Transition bikes.
    The spur looks perfect for a trail center bike.

Andy_K

Jesus this was exactly what I was after. Always wanted basically my old 29 Anthem with a load of degrees off the HA.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

YT Izzo looks similar in terms of geometry and riding style. Better value too.

AlexSimon

I guess it depends if you consider being able to buy from a local bike shop added value or not.

Also – the Spur is lighter without trying very hard on components, so plenty of room to go even lighter – again if that’s what adds value.
    I’m not sure how the Fox 34 compare to the new Sid, but that would be my first investigation.

Plus Transition are definitely a brand I would pay more for than YT – even excluding the local bike shop thing.

ymmv

mattham

I’m not sure how the Fox 34 compare to the new Sid, but that would be my first investigation.

Saw a review in MBR, that rode a SID back to back with a Fox 34 Stepcast and reckoned they were about the same but the SID was lighter.

“Given how light the fork is, there’s enough precision to let you get away with railing ruts and slamming it into turns. In back-to-back testing, we’d say it was on par with the Fox 34 Step Cast, yet the SID is 150g lighter. And that weight saving is appreciable too, with a lighter touch to the steering that keeps the front end super agile.”

lawman91

Weighing up whether to be sensible or go balls to the wall and just get a frame and build up how I want. The GX build is in the LBS and it looks the nuts and is more than enough for me and change bits over time like I did the Whyte… Who knows I change my mind on an hourly basis at the minute!

robj20
    Free Member

Definitely think this is my next bike. Have to order the frame and fork together so i can get the colour match, SID looks good, 35mm tubes and can use torque caps.

lawman91

Ordered!  Hopefully due sometime in August, went head over moment of insanity and gone for the full GX build, will be swapping out the wheels soonish if not straight away and transferring a few odds and sods (Hope brakes and grips/saddle) from current bike, can’t wait!

robj20
    Free Member

By the time you have changed the wheels, brakes, saddle and grips would it not just be easier to get the frame?

Id need new wheels, forks, seatpost but would still get frame only.

lawman91

Frames are not due for a fair while at my LBS, plus the Sid fork is out of stock until September/October so a build would take longer and cost more in the long run. Brake swap is easy as what I take off will go on my hardtail for now or I’ll have a moment of stupidity and sell them and buy some new Hope’s anyway!

I did similar with my T130, rode it stock bar contact points for a few months and then gradually swapped things out, wheels were the first to go as they were weighty AF.

muggomagic

Ordered! Hopefully due sometime in August, went head over moment of insanity and gone for the full GX build, will be swapping out the wheels soonish if not straight away and transferring a few odds and sods (Hope brakes and grips/saddle) from current bike, can’t wait!

Be very interested in what you think of it. It’s certainly a looker and that video of theirs makes me want one and to disappear somewhere on it 😀

bigjim

Oh it’s very tempting but the sb115 is possibly more suited to living here on this totally flat sand dune and the prices aren’t far apart now. Bit steeper and shorter, should be snappier and livelier.

Furious

I had been looking at the Sentinel as I ‘think’ it’s the single bike I need for all of my riding. Then they release the Spur and I start thinking this is the single bike I need for most of my riding. It certainly has the right geometry, I wonder how it handles the terrain when it gets really rowdy?

I currently ride a Pivot Mach 5.5 (although I also have an Airdrop Bitmap) but I want a 29er.

The Spur has me confused now about which would be best. If I went for the Spur I guess I could keep the Pivot for bigger terrain. If I got a Sentinel, the Pivot would be going to a new home.

Regardless, I’ve been told neither are available until November

lawman91

The Sentinel is meant to be a brilliant all rounder for such a big bike, but it is a BIG bike. If I split my time between proper bike parks like BPW, Stiniog, FoD and hit bigger terrain etc and regular centres and natural rides fairly equally, it would be a sound choice. If you do the tougher stuff maybe 2-3 times a year at most, Spur will likely be better.

transition1
    Free Member

If I didn’t have my Ripley the Spur would be high up there, couldn’t wait that long for Transition to make this bike though

Furious

Well, I gone and did it…

Transition Spur X01 in Large

First ride this weekend

lawman91

Jammy! Been waiting on mine since before launch and now been told I won’t get it til September at the earliest as it still hasn’t left Transition yet 🙁 Enjoy it, from what I’ve read its an absolute riot!

Furious

Jammy! Been waiting on mine since before launch and now been told I won’t get it til September at the earliest as it still hasn’t left Transition yet 🙁 Enjoy it, from what I’ve read its an absolute riot!

Windwave put me onto Brink and this was the last X01 in large they had.

I’ve only had little rip around the road but I can say it’s very light and accelerates quickly. It feels really nimble. The fit appears spot on. Seems to manual well too.

richardkennerley

Be honest, it looks awful. I’ve got a 4 yr old Scout. I’ll send you that and take the Spur off you so you never have to see it again.

doom_mountain

That looks awesome. The new Transition design / styling is a real step up, I wasn’t so keen on the wobbly looking carbon frames.

I would love one of these to replace my Smuggler, I’m supposed to be buying a house….

campfreddie
    Free Member

looks fab… nice to see Transition reinventing the Turner Czar from however many years back…. I would definitely have one for smashing around the New Forest if I wasn’t already massively N+1’d on the new bike front.

honourablegeorge

doom_mountain

I would love one of these to replace my Smuggler, I’m supposed to be buying a house….

Houses are WAAAAY more xpensive than bikes, so if you can afford a house, you can easily afford a bike. Buy the bike. It’s science.

argee

@doom_mountain, nil or reduced stamp duty just now, that’s a saving that could be put into a new bike!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Add the bike to the mortgage.

They do look lovely though. Almost lovely enough to tempt me away from being over biked.

robj20
    Free Member

1. I have to save up.
    2. And most difficult, get the wife to agree I need a new bike.

I think I’m due one, my Nomad 2 had served me well for all these years but I fancy something more suitable now. Gone are the days where I just bought the biggest of everything. I’m actually sensible now and the Spur looks perfect.

Also on the want list is.

Blueflow carbon wheels
    SRAM Eagle AXS
    Reverb AXS

Probably keep my current cranks, just need a boost chaining.
    Keep my bars, Easton Haven carbon, brakes Hope V2 and M4.
    See if the shop can order me a frame with fork so the colours match.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

My god, that is a thing of beauty. Not helping my dilemma of whether or not to sell 2 bikes and get a spur.

doom_mountain

@doom_mountain, nil or reduced stamp duty just now, that’s a saving that could be put into a new bike!

That’s my kind of thinking.

Most of the parts from the Smuggler would transfer over just need to shorten the fork. Is it right that Transition don’t recommend more than a 120mm fork?

chrismac

I have to say I’m quite glad they are out of stock because it is a seriously good looking bike and ideal for 90% of white and dark peak riding

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘New Transition Spur’ is closed to new replies.