Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • New Tesla Pickup
  • jam-bo

Just smash the windows, they appear to be shit. 😉

v8ninety

minor electrical failure to leave you stuck in the car.

Which does seem daft, agreed. But the above case, a car hit a tree hard enough to disrupt automotive grade batteries; I think that the electrical failure could well be moot. The root cause is the crash, not the electrical system, surely?

v8ninety

Have you retro-fitted anti-burst locks?

My first one didn’t have them (and I had the occasional going round a corner over a bump door flinging open moment 😳) but my current one is a spring chicken 1986 model so came as standard with them 😂

Markie
    Free Member

Would the Cybertruck meet EU rules on outside of a car shape for pedestrian and accident safety? Are there such things – I mean, I thought there were, but perhaps not?

Edukator
    Free Member

The root cause is the crash, not the electrical system, surely?

The electrical system is not the cause of the crash but I personally don’t want to be reliant on an electrical system that is vulnerable in a crash to get out.

Edit, you’re right Markie. Once upon a time they had to add big rubber bumpers to sell Porsches in the US. Now the Americans have to meet EU normes (which get stricter in 01/20) to sell in Europe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tesla already received 146,000 Cybertruck pre-orders just over a day

Well, thats the fanboys captured… whose left?

v8ninety

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

This guide suggests that the internal door handles should still work; break glass and utilise those is the advice. I presume they are mechanically linked? Never been in a Tesla so cant say for sure.

v8ninety

whose left?

Well I’m tempted at that price and I’m no fanboi. I quite like the ‘practicality before looks’ stance.

oldnpastit

I just looked at a model 3, the handles are indeed completely flush.

With ordinary handles, unless the car had locked the doors before the crash a passerby could open them with just brute force and ignorance.

With these fancy things you will have to wait for the emergency services or find a large rock.

Form over function.

bikebouy
    Free Member

whose left?

Well I’m tempted at that price and I’m no fanboi. I quite like the ‘practicality before looks’ stance.

Ohh.. how much was the deposit? And when do you get it? Post pics 👍

kelvin

Now the Americans have to meet EU normes (which get stricter in 01/20) to sell in Europe.

The pickup market is huge over there, not so much here. This model makes perfect sense as the next one to roll out is the USA… they’ll have something else in mind for Europe, I suspect.

v8ninety

Ohh.. how much was the deposit? And when do you get it? Post pics

Ha! Not that tempted, yet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Doh! I thought we had a scoop there for one minute… 🤪

Daffy

Premier Icon
    v8ninety

Well I’m tempted at that price and I’m no fanboi. I quite like the ‘practicality before stance

You might want to have a look at the steering…device.

v8ninety

You might want to have a look at the steering…device.

Ah, c’mon. Didn’t you love KnightRider as a lad? 😂

CountZero

what is new is that even if the doors aren’t frimly clamped shut, it only takes a minor electrical failure to leave you stuck in the car.

This is very true. Had to go and collect from one of our storage areas a Renault Kadjar. The battery had gone flat, so I tried the mechanical key that’s hidden inside the electronic fob. That wouldn’t open the car either. We had to get the AA in to open the bloody thing!
    We’ve had a Merc A-Series totally disabled after a flat battery, stuck in Park, nothing could get it to move. Had to be winched onto a flatbed transporter.
    While I realise that fully electric cars like Tesla are less likely to be stranded with a flat battery, if it does happen while out in the boondocks somewhere, then surely you’re going to be utterly stuffed!
    When my Octavia died on its ass the AA bloke started it with a little solid-state box – I don’t see that happening with a Tesla.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think it’s great, OK I was a bit wtf?! when I first saw it but it’s definitely grown on me – the only negative really is it’s sized for the US market, would be a too impractical in the UK. The rear third is a bit ‘meh’ but then it’s a pick-up truck so not many options in order to keep the overall radical styling.

There’s also little to no chance it will be £30k (for the base model), that spec. will likely get dropped for the UK market (assuming it even gets a RHD option and goes on sale here) and the mid spec version will probably be £50k. Still the pricing (if you’re a yank) is pretty impressive, assuming they hit those figures. $69k for a truck with sub 3 second 0-60, 14000lb towing capability and 500+ mile range is insanely good. Hopefully they’re not relying on a big leap in battery tech (e.g. solid state), or if they are they already have that tech close to production ready (in which case the trickle down to their other cars would be a benefit for a lot more people).

nickc

if it does happen while out in the boondocks somewhere, then surely you’re going to be utterly stuffed!

Yep, onto the back of a flatbed, and taken to the nearest charging point. But as the charging points start to increase in number, it’s eventually going to be no worse than running out of fuel now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s also little to no chance it will be £30k

Ohh I dunno… A mate of mine has had both generations of the Tesla S, the first gen one had the 85KW battery and the current one has the 100KW.. the first one he sold to his mate for the trade in value and then bought the latest one and that cost £136k… and 9mths into ownership Tesla slashed £40k off RRP to tad’s just under £100k.. So thats no warning, no telling customers with deposits down on vehicles (so they could either benefit or cancel orders and re-order) so yeah like “hey dudes, yeah like we should knock £40k off the RRP mann.. like thats gonna bring in more sales innit mannn..” and “yer butt, what about the current customer base that have just bought or have deposits down on builds?” “Errr.. who? like I’m off for a coffee dude, don’t tell them..”

SO I suspect by the time the price is announced at some finger in the air price of say £40k, they’ll knock £10k off that..

Anyway he’s getting shot of his Tesla, says the customer service is shite, Gatwick burned down and they’re not replacing the dealership so he has to go to Woking.. they’ve stopped the service booking with the dealership .. any customer service is dealt with by a call centre in Amsterdam and they’re not bothered about the UK so give 6mths delays. He also says the cabin is made out of foil covered dipped in plastic paper..

He has put his deposit on another BEV, granted it’s more performance orientated brand and I can’t wait to see it.

slowoldman

So he pulls in a few million in deposits on the basis of some CGI and a crappy mockup. Invests the cash for a while and gives back the deposits less the handsome interest he’s made. Good business model.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ And then offer preorders for radical LLS ebikes.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Even by the standards of SUV’s that looks a disaster for pedestrian safety and I can’t see how it would be saleable in Europe

While Other Countries Mandate Safer Car Designs for Pedestrians, America Does Nothing

kelvin

This “car” isn’t for the European market, it is so obviously the right next model for the USA that they won’t give a flying fig if they can’t sell it over here. The next model for sale in the EU will be quite different, and will be built here.

tomhoward

Even by the standards of SUV’s that looks a disaster for pedestrian safety and I can’t see how it would be saleable in Europe

This. Americans buy their cars/trucks on the strength of it being able to plow through anything that might get in the way with minimal fuss. The market for aftermarket bull bars/cow catchers/spikes for the front of cars is huge. Pedestrian safety? Keep out of my way.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ohh I dunno… A mate of mine has had both generations of the Tesla S, the first gen one had the 85KW battery and the current one has the 100KW.. the first one he sold to his mate for the trade in value and then bought the latest one and that cost £136k… and 9mths into ownership Tesla slashed £40k off RRP to tad’s just under £100k.. So thats no warning, no telling customers with deposits down on vehicles (so they could either benefit or cancel orders and re-order)

I would guess the Tesla Model S pricing got slashed as sales completely nose-dived after the Model 3’s release. Yeah it was crap for recent customers but that’s another reason I’d always lease a Tesla not purchase one, the resale values are too unpredictable as technology and the competition is at a much faster pace than with ICEs

Not sure what you mean by people with deposits? Nothing would stop someone cancelling and reordering if Tesla wouldn’t change the price, I wouldn’t have thought losing your spot in the queue would have been a big deal like it was with the Model 3 initially? OK, bit crap not to broadcast the price drop to people with deposits down but I’d probably be keeping myself in the loop with Tesla news if I had a £136k car on order as it’s not unusual for them to change specs & pricing.

The customer service is the main thing that concerns me about Tesla and definitely something they need to work on as a priority as next year should see enough EV competition for them that people are going to be less willing to accept bad customer service. The trouble is they’re ploughing so much money into new model development and battery tech I don’t think there’s anything left to sort out their sales, dealer and servicing systems 🙁

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

About 1 inch narrower than the Hummer H1.

Perfect for UK towns and lanes 👍🏼

School-run? No problem.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘New Tesla Pickup’ is closed to new replies.