Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • New Star Trek film – recommendations?
  • tyger
    Free Member

Do we have a Hollywood turkey or a Cracker of a film? I like the idea of Sherlock being the baddie 🙂

midlifecrashes

mrsmidlife and the crashes went last night, enjoyed it. I went to the club, drank beer and played snooker. I enjoyed that. My night out was cheaper, but you don’t see Benedict Cumberbatch in a working mens club in Doncaster very often.

Smudger666

If you enjoyed the last one, You’ll enjoy this one.

They got some nice wee tributes to the original series sneaked in and it’s a good action movie to boot.

footflaps

Off to see it this evening. Can’t wait, the last one was one of the best films I’ve seen.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Saw it last night, cracking action film. If you like Star Trek you’ll love it and as has been said some cool callbacks to the earlier films.

Went to the local Everyman to see it so having beer and a sofa improved the experience no end.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Saw it yesterday. Absolutely superb. Even MrsGrumpyDave liked it, and she doesn’t normally like that sort of thing. Good twists for the star trek nerds amongst us (I’m one so no attempt to offend anyone).

nuke

This sounds very promising 😀 …taking my son after his SATs are finished next week

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m off to see it with the bird tomorrow afternoon. IMAX screen…

Cougar

We’re going next weekend, I think. Looking forward to it.

CountZero

While I watched most of the original Shatner Treks, and a couple of the films on telly, I always felt them to be pretty cheesy, like the TV Batman series. The JJ Abrahms re-boot, on the other hand, I really enjoyed; it had humour but it had mor action, and better scripting, so I’m really looking forward to this one. Cumberbatch looks like a terrific bad guy, it now being common knowledge who he really is.
    Can’t wait for Pacific Rim, as well, just saw the TV trailer; 400′ mecha and giant alien monsters, with Del Toro directing.
    What’s not to like!

mikey74
    Free Member

What’s not to like!

Probably the script, but at least with Del Toro directing it will be great to look at.

richmtb

Saw it today at the Imax. A seriously enjoyable way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. Thought it was great best action film since Avengers the visuals were absolutely stunning. Non geeks will enjoy it sci fi geeks – like me – will love it

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Probably the script

There is no script, it’s just 2 hours of robots kicking monsters in the nuts. Can’t wait!

mikey74
    Free Member

There is no script, it’s just 2 hours of robots kicking monsters in the nuts. Can’t wait!

I get that, and I am looking forward to it. However, I am worried it’s going to be slightly spoiled by typical gung-ho, kick-ass cliche phrases.

rOcKeTdOg

off to see it in 90 minutes time 😀

Alex

We went yesterday and loved it. Yes, it’s a bit silly and if you stop to think you’d go ‘er no that makes no sense at all’ but that in no way devalues it.

Great visuals, lots of humour, much stuff being smashed up. What’s not to like?

tommyhine

I thought it was superb. And the 3d in space really is good and I’m not really a fan of 3d in general

xherbivorex
    Free Member

just got in from seeing it.

yes. brilliant. go see it.

kimbers

I thought it was better than the first one (less time travel plot holes!)

sherlock was an excellent baddie, chris pine was a lot better than in the first one too, but it was a bit predictable and I think they are trying too hard to shoehorn in a lot of characters and jokes that developed over time in the original

saying that its an excellent action film and Id recommend

footflaps

I enjoyed it, but still think the 2009 one was better.

rOcKeTdOg

prefered iron man 3

CountZero

Probably the script, but at least with Del Toro directing it will be great to look at.

And you require accuracy and plausibility in a film about 400′ mecha kicking giant space aliens in the nuts?
    Really?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Saw this last night, I’m by no means a trekkie but it was a great film, gonna watch the 2009 one tonight.

Pook

went with the FIL last night – IMAX 3D. I’m no trekkie, but it was a very fun film.

nuke

Another who saw it last night: saw it in 3D…really enjoyed it. Good pace to the film and lots of action

DM52
    Free Member

Is there stupid director trade mark really annoying lens flare in every shot like there is with all of Abrahms’ other work?

Pook

I thought it was a mark on my IMAX specs.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

meh… twas okay

Wookster

I enjoyed it. The pace was good its a Star Trek film. Don’t over think sit back and enjoy!! 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

And you require accuracy and plausibility

Always, or I can’t suspend my disbelief. A joy of good SF is the consistency and plausibility of the extrapolation from our understanding of how our universe works (the science bit). Otherwise it’s just magic. The fascination of the genre is how people (like us) cope with that extrapolation. The fighting and bravery aspect is a cowboy movie. Roddenbury always said Star Trek was a “Western in Space”.

Given that a large proportion of target audience for Star Trek are smart people, it’s really important to avoid bad physics and gaping plot holes or its just too incredible.

On balance I was disappointed with what I felt was an incoherent plot. A shame as I loved the reboot concept, casting and some individual performances.

scotroutes

Not long in from seeing it tonight. went for the 3D performance and I thought it was really worthwhile, especially with some of the space scenes and the last fight scene. I’d managed to avoid reading about it so the Cumberbatch character was a wee bit of a surprise. Lots of nice links to the original movies – many of which my daughter just didn’t appreciate. I like the way they’ve managed to do a re-boot without over-writing all of the original canon. The only bit I thought was really telegraphed was the tribble resurrection and its consequences.

Northwind

Just in from seeing it in Imax 3D. I thought it was fantastic tbh, yes there are some holes and some outright stupid bits/unbelievably clunky foreshadowing/Dramatic Moments but… Yeah. Huge success. Visually it’s mostly stunning- manages to feel immensely solid and full of impact unlike most flashy fx. I didn’t like the first one that much either so it was a real pleasant surprise

(also, is there some weird parasitic thing going on whereby Chris Pine sucks the talent out of Karl Urban? He’s terrible in this! Though to be fair he also got most of the duff lines and got to be stage front in the absolute worst moment in the entire bloomin film. Pine really put me off the first one, couldn’t stop thinking I wouldn’t leave him in charge of a packet of crisps never mind the Enterprise, but he does good this time.)

Cougar

Karl Urban is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors.

Northwind

Yeah, I really like him normally but it’s just bum note after bum note in this one. Like he’s trying to channel Deforrest Kelly and only really receiving the bad bits, or something. And there’s a lot of mad chin action, as though he thinks he’s still got the dredd hat on.

(but zomfg, I just looked at his imdb and there’s another riddick film coming out! What are the odds of that?)

smogmonster

Awesome film.

bigrich

alright film, but it’s not very star trek.

thepurist

it’s not very star trek.

Klingons, Vulcans, Prime Directive, Spock, Kirk, Bones, Uhura, Enterprise, Shuttlecraft, Warp Drive, Tribbles, Transporters, Phasers set to stun, Photon Torpedoes, Mind Meld, Shoulder Pinch

Heck, it even had Kirk seducing TWO aliens.

How could it be MORE Star Trek?

bigrich

How could it be MORE Star Trek?

basically it’s a runny around action film/teen drama that references some aspects of star trek history. the philosophical background that drove the shows has been largely ignored.

martinhutch

Just got back from the IMAX. Awesome action film, haven’t enjoyed anything at the cinema quite like that for some time, and might be heading back with the kids on Monday now I’ve sampled the 12A material for them…

saxabar
    Free Member

Just got back from it. 6/10 for me I’m afraid. More darkness and background on Khan required for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New Star Trek film – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.