Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • New On One bootzipper 29 Steel frame spec
  • brant
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks. Strange question perhaps, but is there a chainstay bridge? P-clamps for fender mounting is a possibility.

There isn’t a chainstay bridge. But you sound a smart guy and you would be able to fit something I’m sure.

asunder
    Free Member

Any chance of a 100mm suspension corrected bootzipper fork?

brant
    Free Member

Any chance of a 100mm suspension corrected bootzipper fork?

I’ve got a 490mm one just land with us for sampling.
    15mm through axle, boost spacing.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’ve got a 490mm one just land with us for sampling.
    15mm through axle, boost spacing.

What’s it made of? Tapered? Would it be the fork of my dreams on a big dog (cos I’m not a fan of carbon)?

brant
    Free Member

What’s it made of? Tapered? Would it be the fork of my dreams on a big dog (cos I’m not a fan of carbon)?

Chromoly, tapered, triple bosses up the side.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Chromoly, tapered, triple bosses up the side.

If you tell me it’s a crown fork and costs less than the RSD one I’ll M̶a̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶ ̶ ̶B̶u̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶ ̶B̶u̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶ think about ordering one but only if there is a sale.

brant
    Free Member

It’s a tubular segmented crown one.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for the looks of a lugged crown but I could live with segmented.
    I’m assuming it’s basically the bootzipper fork but 50mm longer. Were you thinking of it pairing with the big dog when you spec’s it? That’s what I would want it for – for riding when properly cold when sus forks are not recommended. If it’s tapered I could switch to a sus fork in summer with one headset.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Rear tyre clearance on the 650b Bootzipper looks massive: can 700c x 50mm fit in there?

I know the obvious answer is ‘get the 29er’, but it’s more expensive and I wouldn’t mind the shorter chainstays and non-boost rear of the 650b…

dahedd
    Free Member

Liking the look of the 29er Bootzipper, shame neither version has the discount code that the 650b has, that drops the price by £140. Drop bars or mtb bars for fire rd/gravel tracks though? tempted to go mtb and fit the Geoff bars I never used on my fatty on it.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Just placed an order on one of these for the price of a couple of cups of Costa coffee per week (that’s how I justified buying a bike I dont really need anyway). Upgraded the brakes to BB7 as seem like they get much better reviews from those that can stomach cable disc brakes and only an extra £40. Going to try the stock tyres but want it to be more of a road biased gravel bike commuter thing so nay look at some faster tyres later. Not sure of the alex rims wheelset is tubeless (Brant?) Anyone got any pictures of theirs that i can look at till mine arrives?

timoth27

25% off currently, use code topofthepops unfortunately due to stock being allocated to bike builds the xl (my size) is in stock but over 50% more expensive so did not buy one.

Bez

Jeez, I’ve only just noticed that these are INBRED CHEAP. Excellent. But as someone whose ideas about MTB parts ground to a halt shortly after the new millennium:

– I have no idea what Boost is. Does it have implications beyond needing a new hub? I’ve never even owned a thru-axle hub.
    – I can’t see derailleur hangers on the frame. What’s going on there? I mean, I’d want to singlespeed it, but my brain still hurts.
    – The geometry sheets for the 29 and 27.5 frames look identical. And since the forks are different lengths, that’s impossible. One of them’s wrong, which one is it?

I think the need for new wheels might scotch the idea, but I’m still curious.

damascus
    Free Member

@bez Boost is 148 thru axle. You can use a kit to space a 142 hub out to 148 but the little spaces fall off and are fiddly.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSAS12RWBAK6/ashima-142x12mm-6-bolt-rear-hub-to-boost-adaptor-kit

If you have a decent hub like a hope, they sell adapters that replace the 135 or 142s to make it 148 so no fiddly spaces. This is what I use and can’t tell the difference. You have to reddish the wheel.

Proper boost is supposed to be stronger but I’m not heavy or doing 6ft drop offs.

Sometimes you might néed a boost chainset to get the right chainline. My xt cranks arent boost and I’ve used spacers to get a decent chain line.

Px have a history of incorrect information so I’m not surprised the info contradicts. Best do a live chat.

fettlin

Been tempted by one of these as a cheap e-commuter. Already have a bafang middrive and some bits and bobs.

Where to find some decently priced boost wheels though, any bargains about?

Oh yeah, TOPOFTHEPOPS doesn’t seem to work with full builds, only frames (if that’s an issue…).

leythervegas
    Free Member

On One Bootzipper

My Bootzipper arrived today. I like it, although I haven’t ridden it yet. It’s for commuting and gravel riding.

h4muf
    Free Member

Looks mint!!

dvojta
    Free Member

I’ve ordered mine yesterday, also a monster cross version.
    Did you order large or XL?

Has anyone have any idea how to attach fenders to this bike?

miketually
    Free Member

My Bootzipper arrived today.

That looks really good! The photos o the PX website really don’t do the bikes any favours.

I keep finding myself looking at these, and then deciding that I don’t need one. But… I have some niggling issues with both of my current bikes (Cotic X and 26″ Inbred SS) and a Bootzipper feels like it would really nicely drop in the gap between them and get rid of the issues that I have.

jumper
    Free Member

Anybody an idea of another fork for the 650b bootzipper? The steerer of the original fork is to short for the XL frame 🙁

leythervegas
    Free Member

I am 6ft 2 and went for the XL.

I am wondering whether I should have gone for a slightly more road focused bike though as this is seeming a bit too close to my 29er steel hardtail. I dont want to ride it till I’m sure as may send it back. Maybe thinner tyres would help but not sure on sizes with these wheels. (Which are really nice by the way for a bike at this price)

dvojta
    Free Member

Hmm, thanks for the first thoughts.
    For me it seems to tick almost all of the boxes.

I just want two bikes: a full sus (have that) and a full rigid bike / gravel bike / travel bike / commuter.

Is it too heavy-feeling? not snappy enough?
    Do you feel stretched out on the drops with a reach like that?

Clink

Is it too heavy-feeling? not snappy enough?
    Do you feel stretched out on the drops with a reach like that?

Also interested in this…

miketually
    Free Member

Guy Kesteven took a 650b cross build and a 29er Geoff bar build for a test ride:

ductions
    Free Member

Any idea why the XL bootzipper is so much more expensive that the other sizes? More metal?! Was so tempted to pull the trigger until I saw the price. 189cm tall so I think XL is my size anyway.

ampthill

I just saw that. I think they are just short of XL frames. They don’t seem to offer builds in XL. Annoying as they are still good value but it hurts to spend more for what others can have for less

legometeorology
    Free Member

Hmm, just picked up a set of the Bootzipper 29er forks. What the hell is the axle size? Doesn’t seem to match any of the standards, unless I’m doing something wrong…?

Andy

Thought the 29er fork was 110mm x 15mm boost? Whats the actual steerer length of a new fork please?

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yes, sorry, it’s 110mm x 15mm, that’s not the problem.

The issue is the axle itself seems to be about 135mm with a M15 thread. That’s 10-20mm shorter than Rockshox, Fox, and DT Swiss ones seem to be. And the Bootzipper forks don’t come with an axle.

I was planning to get a Brand X but none seem to fit…
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-bolt-thru-axle/rp-prod176624

lucasshmucas

I’m very tempted by this, but I’d really like a bike that can take a 2.8 or even a 3.0 up front.
    What’s the biggest tyre anyone’s managed to squeeze into the fork?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.