Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)
  • New Forest Ride – Sunday 17th May
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Right. According to a quick very rough estimation on Google Earth, the journey is 77 miles, from the centre of Southampton, along the M3, onto the M25, then the M4/A4, the A3820, then the A40 to Maida Vale. Bearing in mind, the actual distance will be a few miles more, so 80+.

The National Speed limit is 70mph, and less in built-up areas. Factor in traffic, etc, and you’re talking about a fair bit more time.

So, according to your claim of 55-65 mins, you’d have to be tooling up the motorway at speeds well in excess of 100 mph. I’m sure it’s do-able, at 3 am, with clear roads, but I think you’re talking out of your arse, quite frankly. What would your average speed be? Urban and motorway driving, with a bit of traffic, would be what, 50mph? Possibly a smidgen more? So, an 80 mile journey would be more like 1hr35 mins. I’d say you’d be lucky to reach the M4 in one hour. And the rest might take up to an hour more, even longer, depending on roadworks, traffic, etc.

You’ve come to this battle woefully unprepared. To think that you could possibly take on the mighty RudeBoy, is just absurd. Now behave yerself…

DezB
    Free Member

blimey all these excuses to not make a ride! and here’s me trying to think how i’m gonna ride in plaster.. (admittedly it is about 25 mins from here)

juan
    Free Member

why would I want to go on the M4?
    Get in the car at juan’s house. Then drive off. 5 minutes later you’re on the M3 😉

45 minutes later (driving at 130kmh) you’re into M3/M25 juncion. You don’t have to get out of the M3… Then it’s all straight line. And on a sunday morning there is no such thing as traffic.

See school boy error… You’ve use a computer rather than your brain… That is why you’ll never be able to beat me.
    I tell you what for the BB I’ll show you live with ollie’s car it’s doable;)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I have managed Southampton to Canterbury in under 2 hours

Yes, but you’re not right in the head. Besides, you’re tooling along motorway for virtually the entire journey. Once you get into London, your average speed drops dramatically. It’s taken us 30 mins to get through the Blackwall tunnel, ffs.

Southampton-Canterbury is roughly 135-140 miles. In order to achieve a time of two hours for that journey, you mustuv been going some way over the NSL. Granted, no-one actually travels at 70, but even so, that is still pushing it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It was before I lost my licence I admit.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Get in the car at juan’s house. Then drive off. 5 minutes later you’re on the M3

45 minutes later (driving at 80mph) you’re into M3/M25 juncion. You don’t have to get out of the M3… Then it’s all straight line. And on a sunday morning there is no such thing as traffic.

Ah! So, you’re claiming 55 mins, to Maida Vale, from your house? By your own admission, it takes 45 mins to reach the M25 junction. Corect me if I’m wrong, but this is now a total of 50 mins. You’re telling me, that you managed the next 25-30 miles in 5-15 minutes? In London? Care to explain how you managed that? Bearing in mind, you average speed would now have to be 120mph or so?

My case rests, M’Lud.

juan
    Free Member

well that is a typical journey if I cruise at 150kmh then I make the 55 minutes. But I tell you what 😉 you get your driving license first and we speak about it later 😉

On the other hand if you don’t want to ride because the new forest is more than 10 miles away from london and that scares you you dont need any excuses 😉

Plus M3/M25 to london is certainly not 25 miles 😉 eventually 25 kms…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[Quote]I have managed Southampton to Canterbury in under 2 hours
    [/quote]

I used to work in London Village. I had lodgings in Ilford, and I used to drive home very regualarly. To amuse myself I used to do calculations in my head as I drove: MPG, average speed, arrival time, that sort of thing. As such I always noted the exact time I started the journey.
    I once did Ilford (From when I joined the dual carrigeway) to our house in Hockerton, which is a little village just north of Southwell, Nottinghamshire, in 1hr 59mins. In a 1 litre Fiat Panda.
    IIRC that was something like 148 miles. giving an average speed of over 70mph (Which is a lot harder to achieve than it sounds) and the last 10 miles is through Newark, then on the A617.

I won’t tell you how quick I can do the 50 miles to Gosport from Farnborough on the motorbike now, but it’s all A-roads and I’ve beaten that average speed.
    😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Plus M3/M25 to london is certainly not 25 miles [;)] eventually 25 kms…

It’s 25-30 miles to Maida Vale. Measure it, you numpty.

Accept defeat. You’re just embarrassing yourself now. Quite why you made the incredibly foolish decision to take me on, is beyond me.

Silly, silly Juan…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I once did Ilford (From when I joined the dual carrigeway) to our house in Hockerton, which is a little village just north of Southwell, Nottinghamshire, in 1hr 59mins. In a 1 litre Fiat Panda.

Did the car ever work again? 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rudeboy – If you reckon it is 80 miles and 20 of that is getting to and from the motorways then the maths is simple
    20 miles at 40mph = 30 minutes
    60 motorway miles at 120mpg = 30 minutes

Journey time = 1 hour 30 minutes *

*30 minutes added for fuel stop and to slow pass the unmarked black Skoda Octavia police car between Basingstoke and Southampton.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

120MPG?

In the Merc?

Shureley shome mishtake?

juan
    Free Member

It’s 25-30 miles to Maida Vale

I am talking of real inner london as I said little france neighbourhood. and I have measured it…
    but hey some here have work to do. I just found sad that you are so obstinate sometimes… You’ll just be missing a great ride that’s it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did the car ever work again?

I bought it new and had it nearly 3 years, I did 55,000 miles in it and I thrashed the spuds off if from day one till the day I sold it. It averaged 42mpg and in all that time I spent a grand total £60 on repairs other than consumables and servicing. (Consumables – 4 tyres and 1 exhaust back box)
    Super little car, I’d have another Fiat like a shot.

EDIT – Since then I’ve been to Italy a few times and I now know I was right to thrash it. That’s what they’re designed for. That’s how the Italiand drive them…
    🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I am talking of real inner london as I said little france neighbourhood. and I have measured it…

You’re talking shite, is what you are, Juan, and you know it.

What you’re claiming would require an average speed of over 80mph. C’est not possible.

Mate, I’ve lived here all me life, and traveled in more cars/buses/trains etc than you have. And I’ve been down to Southampton with Ollie, a few times now. It takes over 2 hours. The early start time means it’s unfeasible for us to come.

I accept your surrender.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

120 mpg – I would never suggest driving at 120 mph would I? 😉

tootallpaul

I’m sure this thread was about a bike ride once.

Now its all about fuel ecomony.

How did that happen?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It was Juan, making preposterous claims about unfeasibly quick journeys into/from London.

He started it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

So rudeboy – are you and Ollie coming down the night before for food and beer at mine?

cinnamon_girl

Guys – have you finished discussing your driving skills? Yep? OK, more information then for Sunday.

Meet time 10.30 am to start riding by 11.00 am, here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=419494&y=105019&z=120&sv=419494,105019&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=759&ax=419494&ay=105019&lm=0

Bring a picnic lunch but there will the opportunity to stop in the pub too.

Just to recap – around 20 miles including a circuit of the Big Bike Bash trail so feedback on that would be particularly welcome.

So … who’s in?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I suppose I had better come.

The weather is not likely to be as bad as forecast, yesterday was meant to rain and it didn’t, today is just a bit overcast.

tootallpaul

I shall be there…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG – If the weather looks half reasonable we’ll be there.
    If it looks like chucking it down all day, then no. I’m not driving all that way to get soaked to the skin.
    I’ll text you on the day if we’re not coming.

That said, like WCA says, all this rain we should be having right now isn’t arriving and the forecast for Sunday has improved markedly…..
    🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Who put the tag up about wanting to punch me?

Cos of course, that’s brave… 😯

DezB
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member
    I shall be there…

How will we recognise you? 🙂

I have a question for the route planners. Just been out for a test ride and I can use my left hand controls – back brake and frfont shifting, and steer ok. Bit worried if there’s any steep stuff, with limited front braking (and the extra weight of the trailer) I might be risking things a bit.. Think I’ll be ok with what’s planned?
    (all dependent on mrs.dezb giving me permission, of course!!)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dez – There are no serious descents that can’t be managed but there are the occasional ruts and sandy spots. You will be fine

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent answer WCA! 😀

tootallpaul

Erm. I’m tall, and have a red car, and a gold bike.

Not solid gold mind. That would be silly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dez, Dunno if you saw it, but I offered to pull the trailer if you like?
    Up to you, but let me know beforehand so I don’t bring the SS!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dez, Also, when I started the TransWales I’d just broken my left thumb. I could brake, but not shift to a bigger ring. I found that on the flat I can use my left shifter with my right hand…. Give it a go!

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, thanks PP – not sure how jr will feel about being towed by a stranger though… or were you offering to tow me ? 🙂
    This morning found a gear at the back which I could leave it in and shift between mid and big ring. Was fine.
    Did tell mrs.d that i’d been out and she said i was “stupid”, so not yet broached the subject of sunday…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, thanks PP – not sure how jr will feel about being towed by a stranger though…

That’s what I was thinking, which is why I said it was up to you
    🙂

or were you offering to tow me ?

Nope.

Did tell mrs.d that i’d been out and she said i was “stupid”, so not yet broached the subject of sunday…

She’s right. Women always are. Terrible, isn’t it? 😉

mrs.d
    i’d
    i
    sunday…

I see you’ve just about given up on the shift key!
    😉

DezB
    Free Member

you got it1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

lol1

;0

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’m in as long as it’s not lashing down. Its been pretty grim in Poole most of the afternoon, but has brightened up now, so fingers crossed.

cinnamon_girl

Dez – you might be safer with a pony, there’ll be plenty to choose from 😀

Or how about the trail hound pulling you along in some contraption?

Everyone knows weather forecasts are notoriously inaccurate so just be optimistic rather than Southern Softies!!

DezB
    Free Member

hmm, just wondering how i’m actually going to get there, not being insured to drive an that.
    Anyone going viia the A3(M)/M27 route (with space for a trailerbike)? thought not!
    “Mrs.Dez-you know you dont approve? well can you be a love and drive us there?” likely?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DezB = I can fit ypou trailer and kid i. yxy me 0 782 77 666 4

DezB
    Free Member

cheers – will check for management approval first and let you know. thanx

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

just spotted typo in phone number 0 782 5 77 666 4

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘New Forest Ride – Sunday 17th May’ is closed to new replies.