Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New family car
  • mogrim

So, the time has come to replace my 10yr old Megane Scenic – it’s let me down a few too many times, and is showing its age. New car time, and it’ll almost certainly be another people-carrier, probably with a diesel engine with about 115bhp or so.

Current options we’ve looked at are: Kia Carens, Citroen C4 Picasso, Ford C-Max, Dacia Duster (ok, it’s a SUV but similar price). What others should be looking at, recommendations? Any we should avoid?

2nd hand isn’t an option, MiL is part-funding and she refuses to help with anything that isn’t new…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get a Focus Estate. Mine is bigger than my old Mk2 C-Max, better to drive and cheaper.

somouk
    Free Member

Mondeo estates are also excellent cars and massive inside. Should be able to get a good deal on one with the new one being due soon.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The new Picasso looks spangly and is very well reviewed. The MkIII Scenic, which I have is pretty good as a practical “boot on wheels”, hasn’t let us down at all, cheapish to buy (although not that cheap new) and cheap to run, although the model is actually quite long in the tooth now.

I’d prolly go for a Picasso or S-Max – new one on way so maybe “bargains to be had”

In terms of power though aim for 130-150 hp though.

andy8442
    Free Member

VW Touran. So good, we replaced our old one with….. another one. Kid proof inside, not too big on the outside, economical, well built, good resale value when you come to sell it.

probably with a diesel engine with about 115bhp or so.

Current options we’ve looked at are: Kia Carens, Citroen C4 Picasso, Ford C-Max, Dacia Duster 

How depressing – it must be like when your boiler needs replacing. Massive outlay, with absolutely nothing to get remotely excited about 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

VW Touran. So good, we replaced our old one with….. another one. Kid proof inside, not too big on the outside, economical, well built, good resale value when you come to sell it.

This, had mine for 6 years and 100k miles, been faultless, gonna keep it for a couple more years yet.

mogrim

How depressing – it must be like when your boiler needs replacing. Massive outlay, with absolutely nothing to get remotely excited about

Pretty much 🙁

Thanks for the other suggestions. Except Pieface 🙄

Probably won’t get an estate; I’d rather get a normal Focus which would be better for 95% of our driving (not to mention cheaper), but the mrs likes being a bit higher up and the extra space an MPV gives you. I’ll have a look at the VW, too, although I’m guessing it’ll be a bit more expensive than the ones I’ve looked at.

nerd
    Free Member

How many children do you have (or plan on having)?
    If it’s two or less then look at a Skoda Roomster. Our’s is ace.

Pieface

That suggestion wasn’t aimed at you Mogrim

SammyC
    Free Member

What family do you need to transport? How many kids and what ages?

We have a ford Grand C-Max and absolutely love it, sliding rear doors are fantastic! But only really seats two children in the back as the middle seat is not full sized so you can only fit in two child seats.

iainc

we had 2 scenics, they were awful. We had a petrol cmax, it was awful too. Wife currently has a Kia Soul, it’s great. Or at least it doesn’t continually break down/go wrong which the Renaults and Ford did.

It is a bit small as main car, but it’s not used for long trips, just her running the kids around/going to work etc and it’s nice having anoth 4 of the 7 yrs warrnty to go.

I_Ache
    Free Member

the extra space an MPV gives you

They dont. I get more in the boot of my Focus Estate than I did in my C-Max. Plus it is loads easier to get a bike in the boot. It is surprisingly hard to get a bike in the boot of a C-Max.

poolman
    Free Member

I looked at all those & bought a Kia Carens, 7 seat with 1.7 diesel. For the money you get loads – 7 seats where the rear 2 fold flat, air con (vents in the back & glove box), Bluetooth, 1.7 chain cam diesel, elec windows all round, front passenger seat folds down for extra storage.

Drive is good, quiet, 6 speed. I am getting 45 mpg as its new but expect 55 after things loosen up. Cruise control but I don’t use it.

In UK money the entry level carens like mine is 14k gbp. 7 year warranty. I am v pleased with it.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Ford C-Max or S-Max are good and good deals can be hade if you are OK with haggling hard

mindmap3
    Free Member

Current options we’ve looked at are: Kia Carens, Citroen C4 Picasso, Ford C-Max, Dacia Duster

That list would have me looking at estates in a flash! I don’t get why the UK population hate estates so much. I’d much rather one than a people carrier thing.

The Dacia feels a bit agricultural (sister in law has one). They’re cheap, but cheap for a reason.

the mrs likes being a bit higher up and the extra space an MPV gives you

Booster seat? 😆

In a lot of teh smaller ones like teh C Max, I don’t think you get much more ueseable space. They feel bigger because the roof is higher etc but don’t do as well as carrying stuff as an estate (see I_Aches posts above – getting stuff in hs C Max was a PITA).

SammyC
    Free Member

I agree about the space thing to an extent, I don’t think our new C-Max has much more boot space than our old Mk2 Focus did but the rear passenger space is massive in comparison. Loads more legs room for my boys (as I have the seat all the way back) and loads more head room.

I guess it depends what you want, we chose rear passenger space over boot space in the end because we only tend to use it on long journeys. Never underestimate the price of relaxed and contented children on long journeys! 😯

dknwhy

I’m 5 years in with our Carens. Again, I needed a car for family duties, long trips and cramming full of camping gear etc.
    It’s boring as hell but has been practically faultless. It was one year old when we bought it and after looking at comparable vehicles, we got loads for out money on the 2.0L CRDi GS model – air con, cruise control, electric folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror and 10 – that’s right – 10 cup holders – for a car that seats 7! How many drinks do a family need??!
    In 55,000 miles, all it’s needed is servicing, tyres and a new rad hose (that was done under warranty).
    MPG isn’t bad for a car of it’s size and although it corners like a walrus, it is very comfortable on long motorway journeys. Last week it hauled four of us, with bikes and camping gear to France and back and happily sat at 80.

mogrim

That list would have me looking at estates in a flash! I don’t get why the UK population hate estates so much.

No idea, but in this case it’s the Spanish population that doesn’t want an estate 🙂

My kids are 14 and 10, and need a fair amount of space in the back – they’re not that little any more! Thanks again for all the suggestions, looks like a Carens is a reasonable (if dull) choice.

SammyC
    Free Member

In that case go have a look at a grand c-max. Rear space was what swung it for us on that one. MPG is nowhere near the claimed value though, we get about 45mpg average with the 2l diesel.

muddy@rseguy

If you don’t want an MPV then:

Honda Civic estate. Better fuel economy than pretty much anything else (60-70mpg in the real world), clever rear seats and huge boot.

Kia Ceed wagon.

Nobody’s mentioned the new Nissan Qashqai either which looks very good indeed. Nearly brought one earlier this year.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New family car’ is closed to new replies.