Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • New DeLorean anyone?…
  • the-muffin-man
    benji
    Free Member

No thank you, it was heavy and underpowered the first time round, and if it hadn’t been used in an iconic film of it’s time it would have gone the way of all other rubbish.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Popped up oh PH’s earlier.
    It actually wasn’t heavy as many assume and this time round the engine is supposed to be a “crate” motor from one of the big manufacturers.
    Rumour is it’ll be the Ford V6 280bhp.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve already got one.

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh yes. I know they weren’t all that great, but aesthetically there’s just something about them.

akira

If I was going to buy one in the future how come I don’t have it already?

maccruiskeen

Flashy out for a spin in his near Clifton

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwGzZbjZnc[/video]

ourmaninthenorth

And in other “bringing back old shit from the grave” TVR are due to be bringing a car into production for 2017.

donald
    Free Member

$100,000?

<Gets Sports Almanac out of safe>

mrsfry
    Free Member

Yes please 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

OH YES!

maccruiskeen

TVR are due to be bringing a car into production for 2017.

Well we pay to have hard shoulders on our motorways so someone might as well use them 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve already got one.

Pfft! I already used to have one about ten years from now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jeeeze, what a crock of horse poo.

They were the most terrible thing, like eva. Nothing redeeming about them except the film(s).. even then they were a sideshow.

I wonder if this will be funded by the UK Tory government as it all was BITD?

Hesltine to the Forum to ask questions please… Paging Michael..

hammyuk
    Free Member

In true STW fashion no one’s bothered to read anything 😆
    As for TVR – would you bet against Gordon Murray?

Northwind

hammyuk – Member

Rumour is it’ll be the Ford V6 280bhp.

An impeccable choice if you’re building a mondeo estate.

I don’t care tbh, dude down the road has one, seeing it out on the road is still cool. And yeah, back to the future and that but it’d still have a pretty special presence without that, even though it’s slower than my rattly family diesel.

Del

And in other “bringing back old shit from the grave” TVR are due to be bringing a car into production for 2017.

harsh!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

iStream is a very interesting way to tackle TVR’s requirements.

I think it’s pretty great 🙂

AlexSimon

you can also buy a refurbished DeLorean from the company for around $45,000 to $55,000.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me!
    Compared to other ‘headturners’ if that interests you.

Interesting that they’ve kept all the spares going this long. Says something.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Wheeler Dealers did one a while back – got £20,500 for it i think.

andyl
    Free Member

there was one up the road from me just before Christmas. Up close the panel fit is terrible, the engine sounds crap and smokes as it pulls away.

But the look on the little kid in the passenger seat says it all as he was over the moon.

If they brought it back with better fitting panels, tweaks to bring it into the modern era in terms of external trim that looks modern and not like something off an Allegro, a modern interior and got Tesla to provide an all electric drivetrain THEN it would be awesome.

Making the body an exact clone and shoving a modern crate engine in will be a shame, but at least the engine will be good.

Oh and having Lotus work on the suspension along with Tesla on the drivetrain. In fact, just base it on a the 2 seater Tesla which was an elise underneath.

SaxonRider

I like something about the way they look, but if there is such interest, why doesn’t someone with the wherewithal do a re-design to bring them into the 21st century, and actually market something that people will be able to drive with the best of them?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Flashy out for a spin in his near Clifton

Yes, that was next month.

andyl
    Free Member

Yes, that was next month.

I like what you did there 😀

ourmaninthenorth

As for TVR – would you bet against Gordon Murray?

Not at McLaren pricing, but I suspect a few corners may be cut to bring TVR into competition with 911 and F-Type….

hammyuk
    Free Member

Its not the Mondeo V6 Northwind 😛
    Lotus did the original chassis if you remember – that was never the issue.
    The issue was the US hoops they had to jump through that knackered it.
    If you see how one without all that crap on it goes – its a different car!

OMITH – they are spec’d to be £70k’ish apparently so bang in Porsche/Jag’s face.

Harry_the_Spider

Told the missus that we should have one. She pointed out that our drive is quite narrow and we wouldn’t be able to get out of it. Grumph.

andyl
    Free Member

easy fix:

Northwind

hammyuk – Member

Its not the Mondeo V6 Northwind

Is the 280 not a cyclone? Ie an ecoboost without the trimmings? (or, put it a different way, what they put in the worst mustang?)

tomhoward

‘New’ is stretching a bit isn’t it? They’re just looking at putting all the NOS parts together (of which there are warehouses full of) and selling them as cars (and reducing the number of spares available?)

I thought it was going to be a new one in the same way ford did a new gt40 (or gt43)

Alu body, modern high revving 450ish BHP V8, whilst retaining the look. Lovely.

tonyg2003

TVR will be Murray’s iStream in carbon and Cosworth V8. Not exactly the same as last time around.

Delorean. They weren’t good first time around so apart from the reasons of nostalgia I can’t see why you’d by them.

John Delorean was the original Coke and Hookers!

hammyuk
    Free Member

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/01/delorean-motor-company-will-start-building-new-dmc-12s/

Lotus chassis, plastic body with SS cladding.
    Factory in Texas is owned by a Scouser!

Factory Visit

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well the original was based on a Lotus Esprit chassis, so a good foundation, but compromised by crappy parts, so if they’re fitting a better engine, suspension and brakes that should go along way to addressing the performance and handling issues. However I believe that instead of being mid engine’d like the Esprit, they made it rear engined so you could fit a set of Golf Clubs in the back. The 911 has shown that a rear engined car with modern engineering, electronic traction control, torque vectoring and other electronic wizardry can be more than a match of any mid-engined car. Depends on the extent of the modifications they introduce – the jury’s out. It may have been a flawed car, but it definitely has the x-factor.

I bet it comes in way over £100k.

scuttler

Well we pay to have hard shoulders on our motorways so someone might as well use them

Nah – the smart motorways (i.e. use the hard shoulder) projects to fruition due to the demise of TVR.

ourmaninthenorth

The 911 has shown that a rear engined car with modern engineering, electronic traction control, torque vectoring and other electronic wizardry can be more than a match of any mid-engined car.

😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Oh come on. surely there are not still people out there that think the 911 doesn’t handle well? It’s not the 70’s anymore.

tomhoward

No, but a few people clearly wish it was still the 80’s…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> of we go

CountZero

maccruiskeen – Member
    TVR are due to be bringing a car into production for 2017.
    Well we pay to have hard shoulders on our motorways so someone might as well use them

Harsh, but true. 😆
    And I wouldn’t touch a DeLorean with the OP’s! Never seen the film, always thought the car was pretty ugly, the school of folded paper design, rather like some TVR’s…

slackboy

from Autocar

The iconic sports car marque’s backers have already spelled out the first details of a 10-year plan that will put at least four new TVRs on the road from 2017.

I know TVR are low volume but a plan to sell four cars over 10 years is just ridiculous

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New DeLorean anyone?…’ is closed to new replies.