Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • Odd cars from the past you have fancied
  • SaxonRider

Being the very new proprietor of new-to-me Peugeot estate got me thinking about the marque, when I remembered that I really used to fancy a particular Peugeot back when I was a kid. It was the Peugeot 505, and the only model that ever really had a foothold in Canada.

We were travelling across the West to the Rockies in Alberta once, and there was one parked outside our motel. I remember talking to my dad about it, and saying that I liked the way it looked – especially its cool front lights shape.

Any odd* cars you fancied in your childhood?

*Odd meaning the sort of car that would be less likely to have attracted the interest of your mates.

the-muffin-man

In the late 70s a chap in our village used to own one of these Talbots – as a kid I thought it was dead cool!…

…can’t say I’d want one now though! 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Both of the above are ace :-D.

Subaru pickup would be my choice.

Bregante

My dad’s mate had eclectic tastes in cars when I was growing up. He had a Bond Bug at one time! 😀

The car I remember most was a Citroen CX that my dad borrowed off him for some reason (can’t remember why now). I thought it was fantastic and long held the belief that I’d own one one day. I remember persuading my dad to get me a brochure from the local Citroen dealer and cutting out all the pics and pinning them on my bedroom wall.

perchypanther
    Free Member

As a teenager I was obsessed with having a Bedford CF2 Van and converting it into a camper / party bus / A-team command centre

…..bought an Austin mini Metro instead.

also wanted one of these…
    I’ll be impressed if anyone knows what it is.

Bregante

perchy, we had a CF2 with that exact colour scheme! It even had a sunroof.

PePPeR

Argyll GT

footflaps

When I was in my early 20s I used to want one of these, but could never afford it….

perchypanther
    Free Member

…is impressed

cranberry
    Free Member

I wanted a Fiat X19 a lot at one point.

It probably would have been even more of a money pit than the 25 year old S2a Landy that I ended up buying.

stumpy01

I always wanted a Volvo 480 when I was a yoof…

RustySpanner

Skoda 110R/130RS.
    Still want one.

Any thing from Citroen’s acid days.
    I had a Dyane, which was an amazing car in so many ways.

Actually, a brand new C15 van would be lovely.

stumpy01

footflaps – Member

When I was in my early 20s I used to want one of these, but could never afford it….

Is a Golf VR6 an ‘odd’ car for someone to want, then?!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not from my childhood but strangely appealing. Shame Renault politics did their best to kill it

hammyuk
    Free Member

I had an X19 – cracking little car – stuck an Uno Turbo lump in it, then a 20V Coupe Turbo – used to eat GTI’s, etc for breakfast!
    Have a hankering to do another with a full digital dash, this time.

somafunk

The Argyll was made in Lochgilphead (where i went to school for a few years back in early 80’s) and my mums dad used to occasionally do work for Bob, he had a tiny workshop which was full of stuff that fascinated me as a kid and i used to love going for test drives down to Inveraray and back as it felt like getting into a spaceship but more often than not there was mechanical issues with the cars and they ended up getting trailered back to the workshop. For a brief time though i was the most popular kid in the school 😀

I’ll pop over later and see if my mum has any pics in her scrapbook.

Northwind

Bedford van and 480 +1 . I think, if I analyse that, it’s probably because I had the matchbox cars.

I still want a vauxhall viva hc or firenza. Not even a droop snoot, a normal one. But I think these days you basically have to buy a VIN plate and a ton of sheet metal and make your own

perchypanther
    Free Member

SaxonRider

😯

PePPeR

I like the Avantime! shame they didn’t do a 2.0 diesel version!

Had a 480, great car!

I have some saddo cars at the moment, including an Austin Princess and a Reanult 5 Monaco.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I had me one of these when all my mates were lusting after XR2’s and 205 GTI’s.

Ugly but well hung.

PePPeR

Percy I had the Alpine version of the 5. Awesome little car, lost my licence with that one…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ahem….

the-muffin-man

In the later 80s I fancied one of these!…

sandwicheater

Mitsubishi Galant as a wee little lad

[/url]Galant by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

footflaps

Is a Golf VR6 an ‘odd’ car for someone to want, then?!

No idea. In my 30s I finally could afford a nice car, so bought the VR6’s successor the Golf V6 4motion (1st car with the Haldex AWD system). Absolutely loved it, even though it drank petrol like is was going out of fashion…

munrobiker
    Free Member

willard

The X1-9 was a good car to get parts off for my Panda. I was planning on stealing the wheels off a breaker’s one when I got rid of the 4×4 and bought a Mk. 2 Golf GTi.

After my dad bought one, I always fancied the Rover Vanden Plas. It was the first car that I ever saw a V8 in and was one of the most luxurious vehicles I have ever been driven around in. Then my mum killed it. I remember wanting the salvage the engine out of it…

ads678

Lada Niva Cossack! Love em. Apparently you can still buy them new, but i’m not spending 10k on one!!

[/url]Lada_Niva by , on Flickr[/img]

perchypanther
    Free Member

Woke up one morning when I was about 6 and found this in my Dad’s Garage……It was a prize in a CoCa Cola competition and he was delivering it to the lucky winner…

Denim upholstery and a fridge in the boot….full of Coke.
    Pretty cool when you’re six.

kiwijohn

I fancied a Peugeot 405 Mi16 4×4, which you could get in NZ, but they didn’t bring to Oz. T16 would be even better.

Northwind

Galants/Legnums are ace. Face like a scottish granny playing bingo.

takisawa2

Still lust after them now.

tthew

I had a Citroen BX which looked like that. It was the best ever car I’ve owned for long journeys, (and I was travelling for work back then, so it did plenty of them.) Finally got rid of it at 180k miles as the hydraulics were just too expensive. My cousin had a 16v one. Mental.

Anyhow, wanted one like this. Owned one briefly and would again, but arkward to Cary a bike.

derek_starship
    Free Member

When I was 8, this is all I wanted:

When I was 12, I tried to persuade my dad to get one of these:

I failed.

And when I was about 20 I wanted one of these:

I failed.

I did however get one of these:

Klunk
    Free Member

love to have a go in these, not sure I’d want to own one though

SaxonRider

What’s the second thing you posted, klunk?

kcal

I had a BX, one of the first ones. It was sh!te. Possibly due to being pre-owned by my dad, I don’t know, the choke valve would stick open in cold or when it felt like it.

Should never had traded from the GSA. Did have a big carrying capacity though.

Klunk
    Free Member

carver

went bust in 2009 (theres was a top gear review IIRC Clarkson liked it, lots of references to dope smoking dutch madness)

it was hamster
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4wzBYmTIo[/video]

matt_outandabout

I learned to drive on one of these bad boys. 8)

It was quirky, futuristic, went like a train (to my 17 year old foot anyway) and did silly miles (iirc, we sold it to a work colleague of my dad who saw 200k on it)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Odd cars from the past you have fancied’ is closed to new replies.