Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • My new 29+ prototype
  • Sam

After playing around with full fat and a 29+ front wheel on my Gryphon I was pretty sold on the 29+ format. I had a ride on a Krampus and went through a few iterations of drawings. I’d formed some pretty clear ideas about what I thought would work in a full 29+ format and it was time to turn them in to metal. So the order went in for a few protos from my friends in Taiwan and the frames and forks turned up yesterday. Sadly I’m not expecting my order of Dually rims to come in until next week so for the moment we are running on a P35 front and Flow rear. Set up SS for the mean time but will also be trying it with gears soon (it has a replaceable derailleur hanger not pictured here) – it looks like a full 3×10 drivetrain should work.

Tapered external cup headtube and tapered steerer – this is the same as is on the Puffin full fat frames as well.

Tyre clearance shot and also put a front derailleur on with direct mount adapter – loads of room! A triple should even be possible. Obviously a wider rim will push things out a bit but I think there will still be lots of space.

Bolt on cable guides, there is a triple version for geared use as well. Again, these are the same for the Puffins as well as the new Swifts and Gryphons.

And the whole thing, it’s a bit of a hodge podge of bits but that’s how it tends to go with my protos – just grab what’s in the shed!

The critical numbers are 445mm chainstays, 70mm bb drop, (both +/- 6mm thanks to the eccentric), 70deg HA and 55mm fork rake. Other dimensions are broadly similar to the Swift, final sizing TBD.

This will probably be my next Kickstarter project, stay tuned for more details. Any and all feedback gratefully received.

Murray

Looks very nice!

ska-49
    Free Member

Love this. Another thread here too… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singular-rooster

Will you be offering it as frame/fork/wheelset? At least for the kickstarter maybe?!

fenred
    Free Member

Looks great, any idea on ETA to market?

How do you plan to sell it? just frame & fork?

Edit – wot ska said.

avdave2

I hope they’ll be enough interest in a small. I’ve got it into my head I need a rigid 29er to replace mt rigid 26er and it needs to be able to run a Rohloff without a tensioner. El Mariachi looks favourite at the moment but if there’s an alternative that’ll take a wider tyre so much the better. I see there is some interest in a small version of the fat bike so hopefully they’ll be some demand for a small version of this.

stoddys
    Free Member

Nice
    What tyres do you have?

miketually
    Free Member

That looks bloody brilliant.

Andy

Looks great. Very interested Sam. But:

Need to see the rear clearance with a Rabbit hole rim (weakness of the Krampus no? Have a look at the Travers thread on UK fatbike forum)
    And the colour is the first one you have done that just does not work for me
    Fix them, Gis a go, and I’m really interested. 😀

letmetalktomark

Whilst I appreciate it may be a little compromise or a compromise too far but could rear tyre clearance be maximised with a 100mm BB like on the Puffin?

I’m in if this goes to a Kickstarter …. Love the yellow too 8)

theotherjonv

I don’t like fat bikes. There, i said it. I don’t know why, i just can’t get my head round them.

However, this……. is nice. And i do like the colour.

scotroutes

avdave2 – you really need to think about the implications of that size tyre for a smaller rider. I like the 29+ concept as I think that would work for most of my riding but lack of space betwixt saddle and tyre, or bars and tyre, rule it out as a bikepacking steed for me.

Northwind

That is lovely… Though… I love the colour but it doesn’t strike me as very Singulary. Something about the blue Swift that made me fall in love straight away.

mattjg
    Free Member

I was pretty sold on the 29+ format

Sam, what do you like about 29+?

Sam

The prototypes literally arrived yesterday. It is a little premature for many details. However…. My intention would be to offer 3 sizes, frame and fork, with possible options for wheelbuilds. However wheels are less difficult than for fatbikes as they use standard 100/135 spacing.

My philosophy on sizing has always been ‘as long as it handles nicely’. This is possible to achieve in a small size with the fat bike thanks to the short fork and chainstays – it’s not so easy with a 29+ wheel.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sam, what do you like about 29+?

+1

Looks bloody lovely.

slowjo
    Free Member

Yum!

There I was looking for a ‘different’ SS project (as opposed to SS-ing my Swift) and lo!

Sam

It gives a lot of the traction and ‘unstoppable’ feeling of full fat but without so much of a weight penalty and seems to roll much better.

Plus it uses standard width hubs and BB so you can throw some regular width tyres on there if you like and have acres of mud clearance.

velomanic
    Free Member

I agree with theotherjonv : I not a fat-bike fan but that looks sweet 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

In the interests of balance, ignore these naysayers…

Keep it yellow!

kcal

looks great Sam..

awaits progress and updates with interest.

Gotama
    Free Member

This looks superb Sam, will be watching with interest.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

My main gripe with the Krampus was chain/tyre contact with a double and even single ring which eats away at the delicate knard sidewalls over time. 100mm bb would solve this and make a double properly useable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, isnt it chainline the issue, rather than clearance per se?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks great, but yellow 🙁

coastkid
    Free Member

Got the 29+ Surly wheels sitting, whens the kickstarter er kickstarting! 🙂

gee
    Free Member

That’s very pretty.

How are the tyres on normal width flow rims? Roll?

GB

oxym0r0n

That would look awesome in blue (to go with my other blue bikes!)

unovolo
    Free Member

Is this going to be called the ‘Canary’ then?

Clink

Sam – what happened to the new ti 29er? Shelved for now?

mattjg
    Free Member

If it’s staying yellow it needs to be called Canary

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hmm. Very tempting. I’ve had a spin on a krampus, and it was nice. This might actually tempt me to sell my swift.

granny_ring

Like the look of that, nice one.

kazafaza
    Free Member

That’s sweet as a banana with lemon, definitely my kind of a dessert 😉

blooddonor
    Free Member

Would it handle bike park Wales, and what tyres for the surrey hills?

GregMay
    Free Member

Looks great Sam. keep it yellow 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Would it handle bike park Wales,

Of course, that’s down to the rider not the bike.

and what tyres for the surrey hills?

I believe the choice is Knard, Knard or Knard.

Sam

My main gripe with the Krampus was chain/tyre contact with a double and even single ring which eats away at the delicate knard sidewalls over time. 100mm bb would solve this and make a double properly useable.

More testing required to see how this works out. Was this an issue in all conditions or only with thick mud built up on the tyres?

fenboy

good yellow!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Love the yellow. A couple of my early mtb’s were yellow (GT Tequesta and GT Zaskar) so yellow’s got some nostalgia for me.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Why no proper semi-fat rims on this gorgeous beautie?

Slightly concerned about rear clearance as soon as you go properly with rim e.g. Rabbit Hole, Dually, Kris Holm or Nimbus…

Checked my Knard on R.H. and it is 75mm wide. Is it going to fit stays, or by design it is not constructed for anything wider than Flow?

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘My new 29+ prototype’ is closed to new replies.