• This topic has 6,932 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,241 through 6,280 (of 6,933 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps they don’t want the pitch rolled twice early tomorrow ? these evening 20 min session don’t seem to work especially if you don’t bowl the GOAT.

theotherjonv

It’s been a very interesting day. Sure, on paper a first innings total of 400 on a shirtfront of a pitch looks par at best, maybe a bit under even. On paper AUS would settle for it.

However – from practically the first over, AUS sent boundary riders back and that to me says they are scared of Bazball. Scared enough that they have a defensive counter tactic, that they don’t want England to get away. AUS have never really needed to modify their game for others – sure you have plans for certain batsman in particular but approaching the game in a defensive mindset from the off is not the Aussie way.

And despite that they still went for 400 runs in a day.

dander

In hindsight, in my opinion, daft to declare. Could have had 30 minutes swinging this morning, added 50 odd, got the crowd going, and annoyed the Aussies. Obviously if they’d got one out last night it was genius.

Can see Aussies piling on the runs, pitch is dead. Moeen will get treatment.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The declaration seemed like a bad idea 🤷‍♂️

RichPenny
    Free Member

Equally likely to have been all out last night though. And it definitely had a shot at working, aussies looked nervous.

TimP
    Free Member

Forecast isnt great with showers next 2 days according to Google so having 400 on the board and a quick bowl last night doesn’t seem like the worst idea.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It’s already rained this morning 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve got your number mate 😀

Houns

Broad does it again

RichPenny
    Free Member

🙋‍♂️

Klunk
    Free Member

‘ave it !!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Houns

And another

theotherjonv

What a joy!

Plumb in front, given out on field, doesn’t need to check with his partner because it can’t possibly be out because I’m Steve Smith, I don’t need to follow protocols.

Referral comes back with three reds – not even an umpire’s call – and still he’s shaking his head all the way off because despite all the evidence it just doesn’t apply to me.

Steve Smith – the Boris Johnson of umpire referrals.

**** off, both of you.

didnthurt

I had to google what TMS was. ‘Transcranial magnetic stimulation’ well everyday is a school day.

theotherjonv

I’m sorry, but if you don’t know what TMS is instinctively, this thread is not for the likes of you 😉

theotherjonv

Acchh!

Bairstow’s had a good game so far, good catch earlier stood back – but that’s why you want your best keeper playing

Klunk
    Free Member

there has to be a new rule brought in for England selection. First name on the team sheet is your best keeper (even if he bats 11).

theotherjonv

It’s hard enough to take 10 wickets on these pitches, that’s now 14 we need including the Broad no-ball. Not including 2 that are really hard but your best keeper just might grab, because that’s what they do.

Klunk
    Free Member

and if your going int0 a game with 3 main seamers please pick a spinner whos bowled more the 25 overs in a day this season (hopefully more than once). Such stupid selection mistakes :/

theotherjonv

I’ve got a bit more sympathy with that – it was a gamble but they clearly wanted Mo, to have pursued him out of retirement. However, with pitch deteriorating he might need to bowl a few more in the second dig.

Oooh, Khawaja gone.

This is fine balance now. Take these 3 for around equality and we’d feel in the better position batting first in a one innings game. If their tail wags for another 50-odd from here, and then their bowlers are tail up ……

And now it’s chin music time. Anyone that hasn’t played the game at any serious level and thinks it’s all cucumber sandwiches and one off the mark for you Vicar….. quicks at my level might have only nudged the 80 mark but as an opening batter I’ve had to sleep on my right hand side only enough times.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks painful

convert

Is that the equivalent of ‘office hands’? Bowls so few overs these days he’s turned into a soft handed office boy.

Klunk
    Free Member

“play to resume @ 15.30” looks a tad optimistic looking at the radar !

theotherjonv

This Graham Thorpe looks a decent prospect though

moimoifan
    Free Member

England need to be careful here. The wicket is a belter. If weather doesn’t intervene, Australia will fancy knocking off <300.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s going to take something pretty spectacular from England – or deadful from Australia – for England to get a result now. Baffling declaration.

theotherjonv

Pessimists.

It’ll be rain affected tomorrow, Aus are going to be chasing the second or third highest total in history at Edgbaston by some way – ENG chased 378-3 last year, after that it’s 283 and then next best is 211.

Either way ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!!!

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

For all the good intentions, I’m not sure Bairstow and Ali have outperformed the players they’ve replaced. I’d rather have had 2x Foakes’ batting average and those two extra wickets his keeping would likely have got us. As for Ali, it’s a dead end – should have brought in one of the two successful young spinners from the Pakistan tour.

Barmy army singing “we saw you cry on tv” at Smith is good value, however.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Either way ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!!!

Granted, it’s entertaining stuff, no denying that 🙂

moimoifan
    Free Member

Barmy army singing “we saw you cry on tv” at Smith is good value, however.

I disagree. All it shows is that the level of the average England cricket ‘fan’ is now at the same level as the Australians 25 years ago in terms of boorishness. It isn’t a good look nor is it particularly topical any more.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

I disagree. All it shows is that the level of the average England cricket ‘fan’ is now at the same level as the Australians 25 years ago in terms of boorishness. It isn’t a good look nor is it particularly topical any more.

Smith captained the cheating. He cried crocodile tears. He’s playing in this match. Seems topical enough 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, when your only commentary available is the bogans on channel 9, hearing the hollies giving it back raises a wry smile. Oh how I miss TMS….

280 to defend

moimoifan
    Free Member

280 to defend

Where’s your money?

Feels like a perfect 50/50 to me.

Maybe, if the start is delayed by rain tomorrow and the pitch sweats a bit, it will zip around.

Klunk
    Free Member

another miss from the keeper

lunge

Bairstow has been poor behind the stumps. The impressive catch he did take was nothing that any other half descent county keeper would have taken. But he’s missed key chances. Watching him on TV and he’s just not moving well at all, certainly not enough to be keeping in a test. I’m not sure he’s scored enough runs either.

theotherjonv

Bairstow has been poor behind the stumps. The impressive catch he did take was nothing that any other half descent county keeper would have taken.

I’d go further – a more natural, agile keeper would have taken that two handed and it would have looked routine. Bairstow always looks as if he comes up too early, stance is too wide.

nicko74

If England lose this they need to reconsider their approach to the keeper for the second Test, Bairstow’s let too many chances go by

lunge

I’d go further – a more natural, agile keeper would have taken that two handed and it would have looked routine. Bairstow always looks as if he comes up too early, stance is too wide.

Completely agree.
    We watched Carey warming up at the ground yesterday and he looked so neat and compact. He keeps really low all the way until the ball hits the gloves and everything looks effortless. With him behind the stumps for England we’d be chasing 100 runs less than we are I suspect.

ayjaydoubleyou

Definitely.

Conventional test wisdom should be taking the 3 (at least) best bowlers and the best keeper, regardless of their ability to bat.

Wanting another slice of the bazball batting frenzy pie with bairstow may be the downfall in this test

Klunk
    Free Member

game on!

joelowden

Bairstow …..for Foakes sake…..🙌

Viewing 40 posts - 6,241 through 6,280 (of 6,933 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM