Viewing 40 posts - 6,201 through 6,240 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • pk13

If you read Sam Currans stats it’s hard to believe he is not in the side great death bowler in T20/IPL and very on trend with the type of cricket england are playing.

Shame about Jake leach

lunge

Leach is a huge loss.
    They’ve been happy to rotate the seamers but Leach has been a constant.
    No options seem to offer the same control as Leach does.
    Call Moeen? Helps the batting but hasn’t bowled much even in T20 recently and he was never tight when he was playing red ball regularly.
    Jacks? Again, helps the batting but he’s not going to hold an end up.
    Ahmed? Perhaps the most “BazzBall” approach, but it could be an baptism of fire for him.
    Dom Bess? He’s been bowling well in the county champ but I’m really not sure he’s good enough.
    Liam Dawson? Perhaps the sensible approach. But does McCullum do sensible?

Houns

I’d be begging Rashid to give the ashes a go

pk13
    moimoifan
    Free Member

Dawson is the correct choice here. He will do the exact job.

Jacks – too much of a rip it and hope T20 spinner. The aussies will sit on the bad ball and he’ll go at sixes and sevens.

Rashid – next best choice, but I’m instinctively against players who prioritise white ball cricket.

Moeen – his batting would help, but as an off spinner he is still not regularly consistent enough. And he hasn’t played a red ball game for two years.

Rehan Ahmed – no, no, no. I think he’s excellent, but looked at objectively his 5-for in Pakistan was a schoolboy 5-for. Absolute jaffas interspersed with rank filth and taking wickets with both.

Another seamer – will need the groundsmen to get busy and will play more into Australia’s hands. I think it would be a mistake.

It’s a massive shame for Leach – he was really coming out of his shell under McCullum, let’s hope he gets back to where he was.

roverpig

I can understand Stokes giving Mo a call. What I can’t understand is who told the press (or why).

lunge

Moeen it is then.
    Not sure whether this says something about the state of spin bowling in the Championship or it’s a BazBall thing.
    Though rumour is that Moeen was the 2nd choice to he skipper if Stokes turned it down.

moimoifan
    Free Member

Well, the aussies will probably try to whack him out of the attack. Obviously that can work both ways, though.

The first toss feels like a good one for Stokes to lose now.

Klunk
    Free Member

Ben Duckett

Zak Crawley

Ollie Pope

Joe Root

Harry Brook

Ben Stokes (captain)

Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper)

Moeen Ali

Stuart Broad

Ollie Robinson

James Anderson

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Stokes and Moeen are key, is Stokes going to be able to bowl much, if he can’t then Moeen might have to do a lot of bowling. Feels a bit like they’re hoping the three seamers are going to be able to blow away the Aussies but England always seem to start well and let teams back in with one or two lower order partnerships. Should mean a good series though.

dander

I’m intrigued by this series. Can see Aussie bowling attack tearing England apart but on the other hand they’ll not have faced a side batting so aggressively. Also Steve bloody Smith seems back in touch.

moimoifan
    Free Member

I am not optimistic about this series, TBH.

Bazball might become a spiralling spitfire plummeting towards the ground in flames.

I think England might whack Boland around a bit more than he is used to, but I think Starc and Cummins both have the smarts to adapt.

Time will tell. It is difficult to envisage any draws unless the weather has a say.

lister

Perhaps they have another trick up their sleeves and they’re going to play the slowest, grimmest grind-athon test cricket ever. Block block block sneak a run block. Make the Aussies bowl and field for days at a time.

I wouldn’t put it past them to just shake it up for shits and giggles. No one seems to be expecting it.

pk13

Right test starts tomorrow

My money is on who ever bowls first will take it .

Friday sunny

Saturday very overcast. (Swing)

Sunday washed out.

Monday bit better.

Tuesday non starter.

This all depends on early wickets Friday.

Houns

I’ve been offered a ticket for Sunday (at face value) but can’t make it. Blimmin Father’s Day!

pk13

Weather is bad rain most of the day sadly

spacemonkey

Duckett and Crawley have to show some stickability in the middle and set up the middle order, but I fear the Aussies will send them and a few others back to the hutch all too soon. Hope I’m wrong as this could be a ripper of a series if we somehow continue Bazball mode.

Royston
    Free Member

Saw the Guardian article about the cost of tickets for one day of test cricket. 190 of your British  pounds W0w!

I remember paying 40 quid for a day at Trent Bridge around 2001 v South Africa.

Watching cricket in NZ is pretty good value I saw England here in February (in Tauranga and in Wellington)

for $35 (you could buy 5 day passes for $110).

What are your predictions for how the series will go? I get to see the the Australians a lot over here in NZ and you do get totally brainwashed by their confidence and attitude of invincibilty. With this in mind I’d love to see England win overall but can’t see it (I’m psychologically intimidated by Australia and their media).  I think 3-1 to Australia

Houns

England win toss and bat.

The ticket I was offered was £125!

theotherjonv

i am ridiculously excited, and shitting myself in equal measure…… will Bazball get found out.

And ooooh! Sir Alastair – man crush!!

lunge

Aggers, Jim Maxwell, Ebs on comms. The buzz of the crowd in the background. Pics of the sunny ground coming in.
    Summers has started and I bloody love it.

lunge

Behave Zak.

Klunk
    Free Member

england rattling along @ 5 an over aussies put sweepers out so now it’s chip and run 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

think england are going for their favourite 350 all out by the end of day 1

drlex
    Free Member

^Having been 310-4

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

I think Erasmus must be blind

spacemonkey

So that final delivery swings the morning session in favour of the Aussies. Eng scored runs as expected and Aus took wickets as expected. But Crawley giving his away provides the latter with momentum and Aus will believe they can be batting before COP.

theotherjonv

Brian Bilston on Twitter

Border, Bairstow, Boon & Botham,

Bradman, Broad and Brearley:

Speaking words of Wisden,

Letter B.

theotherjonv

But Crawley giving his away

I was in the car so hadn’t seen it until now; you’ve got a harsh view of giving your wicket away!

drlex
    Free Member

Yup – probably the only deviating ball of the morning.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

Well, that’s irritating

dander

Key partnership this. Can JB get going? Root is just class. Another wicket and Aussies will be well on top.

convert

Well, that’s irritating

Honestly, is Stokes’ value as a player (rather than a captain) worth any more than a lot of low number dismissals and rash shots with the very occasional higher score.

lunge

Honestly, is Stokes’ value as a player (rather than a captain) worth any more than a lot of low number dismissals and rash shots with the very occasional higher score.

I was thinking that earlier.
    Taking away the captaincy and “vibes” (which I know is a big part of what he brings to the party), given he seems unlikely to bowl much would the team be any weaker with Bairstow at 6 and Foakes at 7? Or Moeen at 7 (and captain) and another bowler?

spacemonkey

Don’t think Eng can afford to swap out Stokes for the very same reasons. However, if he fails to contribute to this series and Eng don’t win, might he sit out the WI tour? Probably not. But if he once against fails in that then questions really will need to be asked.

Meanwhile, Eng probably have as much chance of reaching 400 today as they do of seeing the Aussies at the crease.

Houns

Oh mo

RichPenny
    Free Member

Crikey, bold move but i like it 😀

drlex
    Free Member

Bold move? Let’s see if it pays off!
    DodgeBazBall

johndoh
    Free Member

WT a F

This makes no sense. Does it?

theotherjonv

How many extra would you expect them to add for 9 and 10, vs the prospect of getting one or two tonight. Sure it’s not the usual way to do it, but **** normal, this is Bazball!!!!

<div class=”tenor-gif-embed” data-postid=”3483145″ data-share-method=”host” data-aspect-ratio=”2.34742″ data-width=”100%”>Are You Not Entertained? GIFfrom Gladiator GIFs</div> <script type=”text/javascript” async src=”https://tenor.com/embed.js”></script&gt;

(I can’t make a gif work – It’s Maximus asking ‘Are you not entertained!?’ )

Viewing 40 posts - 6,201 through 6,240 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.