Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)
  • My 2 1/2 year old keeps saying he sees a lady in his room…….
  • al_f
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member
    The problem though is that there isn't a rational explanation for everything in the world

Yes there is, it's just that we haven't worked some of them out yet.

Gary_C

Tell him its not the ghosts that he has to worry about,its the burglars climbing in through his window whilst he's asleep that he needs to fret over……..

😆

RustySpanner

I always find small children very receptive to the fact that one day in the future our planet and all that lives on it will burn as it collapses into a dying Sun.

Best not to be too specific about dates. 😀

tankslapper
    Free Member

Houns your sick! 😆

We had exactly the same problem here a few months back my two year old kept waking up screaming and saying someone was in the room with her, Abertail she used to call it. We tried calming her down etc and it seemed to make things worse. I even told her to try and make friends with 'it' the result was 'they' would 'play' together, then fall out and my daughter would become even more fearful!

Really weird!

Anyway it all fizzled out so I guess 'active imagination' gets my vote.

Houns

Take some advice on how to deal with wardrobe monsters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21us_nOV4gI

tazzymtb

my son used to complain that ghosts would make his toys move at night. I gently explained to him that "they" wouldn't hurt him as daddy is far more scary and the would be more scared of me and that the ghosts would behave if I told them to. One stern telling off for the spooks and the problem went away

elaineanne
    Free Member

when my son was about 6 year old he mentioned he used to keep seeing a man with dark glasses on in his bedroom… ( must have been his 'passed away' grandad ! kids see alot more than adults you know…there 6th sense is much greater when younger

retro83
    Free Member

I can't even tell if people are taking the widdle on this site any more

KT1973
    Free Member

I would probably be freaked out too if it was my kid.
    Interesting thread this- I like the variety of opinions on this topic. It seems that most people are skeptics towards the supernatural (myself included) which is reassuring.

al_f
    Free Member

..there 6th sense imagination is much greater when younger

Fixed that for you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My own take is that under certain extreme emotional circumstances a human's electromagnetic field can be 'imprinted' on the surrounding building structure, and some sensitive people respond to it. Seems as plausible as lost spirits.

Until you learn about electromagnetic fields and materials, then you realise that's not physically possible.

Drac

…there 6th sense is much greater when younger

Sense of balance?

samuri
    Free Member

maybe he's possessed. Has his head spun round at all?

ex-pat
    Free Member

Our (then) sub three year old had a similar thing – monsters in the room etc. We didn't rise to it, a reaction means for sure it'll happen again.
    It did continue though on a low burn (talking about it etc), so I bought a toy dinosaur that roars when you press a button – then said that "Allie" is there to protect the room and if she roars it's cos there's a monster in there. Worked well, no more monsters in the room.
    Though I am tempted to lean into her bedroom one night and make the dino roar – psychologists would take years to untangle that one I think.

One thing I have noticed is that she's started talking in her sleep now, so I guess dreams are more vivid. A couple of nights ago she had crept into our bed (too often this happens!) and then later shouted "orange!" nothing else. Very funny.

druidh
    Free Member

ex-pat – Member
    A couple of nights ago she had crept into our bed (too often this happens!) and then later shouted "orange!" nothing else. Very funny.

"Lapierre" would have been funnier tho 😉

ex-pat
    Free Member

Oh and ghosts – yeah, probably not fussed either way. That doesn't worry me, would be interesting to talk to someone who's been dead for ages. Violent poltergeists? Meh, I have a three year old, an eighteen month old and now a cat staying with us, I challenge them to trash a room more thoroughly…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and now a cat staying with us,

A wise move …….. cats (and dogs) can pick up strange things, and warn you of ghostly goings on.

Andituk
    Free Member

Did this all start at about the time a STW poster removed a skull from behind a false wall by any chance?

nonk
    Free Member

stayed at a mates house a few years back.He lived in an old post office that had been converted to being one big house so it had two flights of stairs and two ends to the house if you get my drift.Over the years that they lived there they had tried to rent one end out (lodger stylee) but it had never worked out,the lodger would allways clear off after about a month.
    so i was staying with them for a week with my mrs and we took up the empty end of the house.
    Every bloody morning at 2:20 i would be woken up to the sound of someone running up the stairs (in my end of the house)then stopping, next would be the sound of something being thrown back down the stairs.something small like a wooden ball.
    happened five nights in a row, on the last night i made a dart for the landing as soon as i heard it but the noise stopped as soon as my feet touched the floor.
    when i told my mate it freaked him out a bit because 2:20 was the time of night that his 3 dogs would join them in bed.
    never had any other weirdness like that but it still baffles me because its hard to put the noise down to anything else.

lovewookie

Our daughter used to tell us in detail about the place she used to live before she was with us.

Kinda odd.

juiced
    Free Member

Although it could well be an imagination thing I personally would ask him what he felt when he saw it. (other than scared) Good move with the cat.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

genesis – Member
    My toddler was stood at the end of his cot chatting to someone, when my wife asked him who he was talking to he said 'Martin had come to say goodbye'. Martin was my best mate who had commited suicide that day though, at the time we didn't know that. Utterly spooked the missus.

F*** that, that would freak me out, never mind your missus!

Like someone else, i've done the whole – sit upright & say something, then go back to sleep thing quite a lot, sometimes pointing at something in the room, etc. Freaks my girlfriend out, I never remember though. Dreams are weird. If I nod off after she's left for work but before I have to get up, I have the most weird not-physically-possible mish-mash of dreams…

TenMen
    Free Member

When my 5yr old girl was only 2, she'd go on about a girl called 'Suzy' all the time. When I finally asked her who Suzy was, she said "She's the girl who stands at the end of my bed when I sleep".

I didn't enter her room for a week.

alpin
    Free Member

aarrrrrrrgggghhhh!

why did i read this post now before going to bed?????

Houns…. haha.

the one with at the post office is freaky and the kiddie talking to dead man (martin?)

my nan lived in an old pre-fab bungalow in chelmsford. lived there since these things were built in the 50's up until her death two years ago. she told of a tale relating to a house a few houses down from her's. a young couple in and things started happening. plates and cups would be broken on the kitchen floor in the morning. books would be torn up laying on the lounge floor. this went on for a while until the couple got hold of the vicar. he went in to exorcise the house, but came running out screaming saying "the forces are too great!".
    a while later and the man walked into the lounge to see the cat clawing at the carpet whilst being 'pulled' toward the open fire by its tail. the husband supposedly grabbed the cat and when he did so the 'force' let go of the cat and he went flailing back across the room. at this point the book shelf and other cabinets started toppling over from against the wall…… can't remeber the outcome but it was a well spoken of tale amongst the 'oldies' if you asked them…..

i always used to shit myself watching the Omen.

grantway
    Free Member

Bet its true children are acceptable to seeing ghosts
    My Daughter shit the hell out of me when she was 3 years old.

We was coming back from Cambridge on the A10 and she was mad
    about swings, anyway we came past a pub within the grounds was
    some swings, Gutted for us the pub was shut but mad child wanted the
    swings.
    I takes her to the far end of the grounds to the swings.
    There was two swings and she says I want this one
    OK on you get and so I starts to push then she says theres a boy there
    Where I says no one there ??
    I looks around by the shrubs and franticly shes shouts not there
    there pointing at the other swing.
    Anyway smart arss here swings the other swing.
    She then shouts NO HE DONT WANT TO BE PUSHED.
    I grabs me kid and legs it.

luked2
    Free Member

I don't believe in ghosts.

But, I wonder what would happen if some fungus or bacteria was able to release a compound that could get into the brain and stimulate the visual cortex enough to make it think it was seeing something? The human brain can get quite enthusiastic about filling in missing details. It might well then just make something up for you, which you then get to "see".

You might even get consistent "sightings" from one person to another if there was something in the room which got used as a starting point for the made-up details. Perhaps a pattern in the wallpaper, or a particular stain in the floor boards.

If the bacteria/fungus/whatever involved also had its own reasons for releasing the chemical then it might also only ever get strong enough to have an effect at particular times of the day.

Might also affect other animals (e.g. dogs) with similar brain structures.

Should be quite easy to test if you have access to a mass spectrometer.

Or failing that, a dehumidifier might stop the bacteria/mold/whatever from doing its thing.

hora
    Free Member

Houns – Member

Tell him they are ghosts that are going to rip out his soul as he sleeps

Wise words.

druidh +1 😆

When I was young we lived in an old converted workhouse. The place was very noisy – creaking/slight movements etc (you know- like a Wimpy house when the central Heating is turned off).

Then as soon as Im Dad walked back in- it would stop immediately. you knew as soon as he walked in. Same when he walked back out.

Drac

Grantway, sound nothing but child's imagination my kids do it all the time pretend there's something or someone on there. My eldest had a friend called flower she'd play with all the time, once her sister was old enough to play with her she forgot all about it.

luked2
    Free Member

Then as soon as Im Dad walked back in- it would stop immediately. you knew as soon as he walked in. Same when he walked back out.

Your dad's extra weight on the floor joists was enough to alter that part of the building's dynamics that the creakings went away. You could probably have achieved the same effect with a large sack of cement.

hora
    Free Member

Don't discount these occurrences though. Yes we all had active imaginations when we were small but some of us did see things. I still remember something crossing one wall and going out through the other when I was circa 4yrs old! I screamed the house down and slept UNDER the bed.

Luked2. I used to stay at a friends new-build house that creaked the exact same way once the heating was turned off- all the floorboards contracting etc etc.

This was the same in this OLD house but with other noises ontop- no heating was turned off and on. Hard to describe sounds (we had the rafters etc checked for mice). All stopped. Wierd!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Even now I regularly wake up and have a full conversation with my other half about something I'm dreaming about. I can be pretty insistant about it too. Then I'll wake up and it seems like it was all happening there and then, but I'll be confused as to why I was speaking to Z in my bedroom at 3am. As an adult I know it's just a dream, even when it happens again 10 minutes later. I don't assume its the spirit of a dead person trying to communicate. When I was a child, yep, I was convinced it was people I knew who'd died. And once I saw the green monster from ghostbusters. Maybe he's real too, and only kids are susceptible to ghosts…

This was the same in this OLD house but with other noises ontop- no heating was turned off and on. Hard to describe sounds (we had the rafters etc checked for mice). All stopped. Wierd!

The temperature differences from night to day can make some pretty large temp differentials across a house-sized object.

hora
    Free Member

To all the sceptics (I must admit, part of me thinks 'yeah right'- prove it).

What happens to us when we die? Is that it. Nothing? Blackness? We go somewhere but where?

coffeeking
    Free Member

What happens to us when we die? Is that it. Nothing? Blackness? We go somewhere but where?

That's it, blackness. Your cells stop producing the chemicals that keep each other active and working in harmony, they stop functioning and you grind to a halt. You are no more. Dead. Gone. You're an ex-hora. But don't worry, the world will go on without you as it has for millions of years 🙂 Though STW may be a bit more dull.

elaineanne
    Free Member

here's another suggestion then ..if you dont think kids have a 6th sense…. then pay attention to your pets ! your dogs 'see' 'things' too..
    they are always right ! when they start looking around the room in the dark and growling short grrrrr…. they know ! trust me…
    i have many interesting things at my house…white mists, faces, clowns, and i dont have 'young' kids to tell me… had a mist a while back i thort i was seeing things at first then i mentioned it to my hubby and he said he had seen a mist too but didnt want to frighten me so he kept quiet for a while…. ive actually been woke up by a spirit whilst having a bad dream… someone was patting me on the back to say wake up (no it wasnt hubby he was snoring his head off…. then you know that feeling of a presence (i darnet look in the dark… i trembled under the duvet ..im not looking ..ARRRRGGGGG…lol… after a while it went away..ooohhhh

hora
    Free Member

elaine anne- my mate lived in a converted church with what I describe as the 'gay ghost'. boy he loved it when I named it that. Basically he always saw someone (male/black hair) out of the corner of his eye when changing/getting up. I royally wound him up once when we were drunk that the ghost does things to him when hes asleep (he didnt go home that night!) 😆

Drac

.if you dont think kids have a 6th sense

My kids have way more than 6 senses.

they are always right ! when they start looking around the room in the dark and growling short grrrrr…. they know ! trust me…

Dogs growl if they're a bit nervous, they see the dark as a threat nothing to it.

Your dead and that's it.

hora
    Free Member

So murder whoever you want (if you can get away with it)?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

This is the funniest thread ever. My kid sister, when she was little, used to talk about when she was a big girl called Wendy. She's called Sarah.
    Once copped off with a big girl called Wendy, couldn't bring myself to nail a big fat girl that could easily be either a ghost, or my sister's preincarnation.
    [shudders]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Am I really reading all this? Ghosts only exist in films and childrens' over-active imaginations. How can any right-thinking adult really think they do exist?

BigJohn

She must be the ghost of a woman who died from an overdose of homeopathy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘My 2 1/2 year old keeps saying he sees a lady in his room…….’ is closed to new replies.