Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • My 2 1/2 year old keeps saying he sees a lady in his room…….
  • josh1982
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies…….last night was a spooky one again and freaked the mrs so much she wouldnt stay in with him today so went over the inlaws.

i think she has realised she is safe so all good so far……..night light in room and all peaceful.

This is the biggest thread i have started!!!!!

chewkw
    Free Member

When my nephew was 4 he used to tell my mum that a person with bright red eyes standing outside our house staring at him, it happened during the broad daylight and my mum did check it but no one was there. At that age my nephew was never shown any movie of monster etc …

I believe children can see "things" due to their innocence but sometimes they may simply be caused by something else like nightmare or over active mind or hallucination due to high fever or eaten wrong stuff.

One of my friend once saw a big pair of hairy feet under the window inside his room and he was in his late teen. Never drank alcohol nor taken any illegal substances in his life. Scared the shite out of him. The next time I visited I noticed all the holy scriptures plastered all over the wall in his room. He also told me "something" was scratching his window at night.

😕

chewkw
    Free Member

When my nephew was 4 he used to tell my mum that a person with bright red eyes standing outside our house staring at him, it happened during the broad daylight and my mum did check it but no one was there. At that age my nephew was never shown any movie of monster etc …

I believe children can see "things" due to their innocence but sometimes they may simply be caused by something else like nightmare or over active mind or hallucination due to high fever or eaten wrong stuff.

One of my friend once saw a big pair of hairy feet under the window inside his room and he was in his late teen. Never drank alcohol nor taken any illegal substances in his life. Scared the shite out of him. The next time I visited I noticed all the holy scriptures plastered all over the wall in his room. He also told me "something" was scratching his window at night.

😕

p/s: if this appear the second time there must be "something" causing it …

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

josh1982 – Member

Thanks for all the replies…….last night was a spooky one again and freaked the mrs so much she wouldnt stay in with him today so went over the inlaws.

i think she has realised she is safe so all good so far……..night light in room and all peaceful.

This is the biggest thread i have started!!!!!

Josh,

1) check the history of your house.
    2) check the location/land on which your house is built on.
    3) ask him nicely to describe what they look like.
    4) ask him what those "two" were doing …
    5) find out what time it happened and keep a diary.
    6) feel the room temperature …
    7) check the room out but try not to be scared yourself. See if you can sense your hair standing or goose pimples popping.

Remedy … use kind words.

1) ask the "two" kindly what they want.
    2) ask the "two" to "speak" to you in your dream.
    3) let them know they are frightening the kid.
    4) ask the "two" to go in peace if you cannot help them.
    5) ask them to seek someone who can help them at the church, temple etc

🙂

Drac
    chewkw
    Free Member

Drac,

As one of my bacon chewing rational Jewish engineering mate once said there is nothing but carbon beyond this existence.

😆

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL@Drac's Link!

ex-pat
    Free Member

As my earlier post alluded to, our 3 year old has a good imagination. But, if you start talking to her about monsters or similar she'll describe them in intricate detail – she's just keen to please me so says what she thinks I want to hear, and gets a reaction.
    We get the floorboards creaking as the house cools every night, and it sounds just like someone walking about (occasionally it is our three year old).

I'm with the BS camp on this one though – and I'd say that by encouraging the a child to imagine ghosts (real or not actually) will set them up for life with attitudes based on those 'encounters'.
    In fact there's a whole host of child things going on around 2-3. Imagination is the big one, complete with a resurgence of separation anxiety and dreaming (in ours at least). Certainly ours 'fought' to sleep in our bed for a few nights around her starting kindergarten. we stuck through it and all good now, so any other life changes going on with your kid or you?

Perhaps something your wife and you need to consider is if you're at risk from whatever event is happening in your house. Paranormal or not, I bet you've not really had any major event other than "it's a bit spooky" – which in fairness any house can be in the right circumstances.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Remedy … use kind words.

1) ask the "two" kindly what they want.
    2) ask the "two" to "speak" to you in your dream.
    3) let them know they are frightening the kid.
    4) ask the "two" to go in peace if you cannot help them.
    5) ask them to seek someone who can help them at the church, temple etc

So, confront your fear, analyse it and accept it or delegate to someone who will 'accept it' for you.
    Sound advice, unreal as the ghost (probably) is…

If you were to put a cactus in your kid's room and tell your wife and son that it's a special one that's been blessed by the local church (perhaps holy water, cacti hold water) and therefore will totally sort the problem, would that work? It will perpetuate the issue mind.

coffeeking
    Free Member

On a '6th sense' related note. I am sure there are people who will be reading this who've taken a few tablets at a party, I remember reading somewhere that taking ecstacy heightens these tertiary senses that we have when we are a child, so, armed with this knowledge and a bit of an interesting weekend planned I invited some good friends over and we all took a few of said tablets, and we played a game i'd also read about where one person would think about something in the house e.g. a clock in the next room, and in your mind you would repeat this information and 'shout' it out using your mind (sounds weird but i'm sure you know what I mean) anyway, placing your hand on top of the persons head 'shouting' out this information (you wouldn't speak) you had to listen to what they were saying – out of the people who were at my house pretty much everyone 'heard' what was being said.

Ahhh the old druggies hand-phone. Amazing. 🙂

It really does just amaze me that a large portion of the UK arent still performing ritual killings and dancing for rain.

Free Member

It was just a tangible, or if you wish a trying example that we aren't just life/dead/the end.

And the medium? Tosh? The Wicker Man? We didn't burn him!

Well dear chap, how do these things work? How was I told about fairly close and private matters – specific items, that only my parents would know?

It was all a very long time ago, but mocking still doesn't answer why.

goon
    Free Member

Well dear chap, how do these things work?

It works like this: http://www.skepdic.com/coldread.html

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's their profession to read your reactions and manipulate you into giving them the answer. To think that they're not that good that they could do that, or that you don't give anything away would be naive at best. They often skirt around areas in the initial chatter to get a feel for the sort of person you are and take a reasonable guess at your possible interests. If you can sit me back to back with a medium and get them to tell me SPECIFIC things no-one else can know without seeing me or getting ANY reaction from me visibly I'll be willing to admit there may be something to it.

Free Member

Coffeeking, if you are in/near Sheffield I'll pass on details of the medium I went to see.

al_f
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member
    How very egotistical of you! Do you think that humans will eventually be able to explain everything then?

Yes, given enough time. Look at all the advances we've made in the last 100-200 years, then expand that out for a couple of thousand years or more (providing we don't blow ourselves up or cause an eco-disaster etc.). It's only a matter of time before we can explain pretty much all natural phenomena. Why would you think it's not?

crikey
    Free Member

Coffeeking, if you are in/near Sheffield I'll pass on details of the medium I went to see.

She must be pretty good; she saw you coming…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Mediums eh? As I said in my earlier post, I generally despise them, due mainly to the fact that a lot of them cynically exploit people who are grieving and desperate for comfort / answers. Then again, some of them genuinely believe they have a 'gift', but still demand money for 'helping' people. A few years ago, I got dragged along to a 'mind body and spirit fair' by my wife, who was training to be a yoga teacher at the time. There was a woman called Marion Goodfellow there, a supposed psychic medium who had made several tv appearances some years ago in what I suppose was the fore-runner of 'Most haunted'. You can imagine my unbridled joy at the prospect of much p**s taking, which didn't go down too well with the wife. Anyway, long story short, I had a 'reading' from her (the tenner it was supposed to cost seemed a small price to pay for what I presumed would be a highly amusing twenty minutes), with the express intention of keeping quiet throughout, thereby preventing her from cold reading or fishing. She then proceeded to give me, in a very direct and matter of fact manner, a list of dates and specific events, none of which I want to go into detail about here, other than to say some of them were very personal and traumatic (the deaths of my father and brother). At the end of the 'reading', she p***ed herself laughing, and stated she had 'known' I had been holding back from supplying her with details. She then refused to take any money from me, simply stating we would probably bump into one another again in the future. The wife had a reading from her shortly afterwards, however, and thought she was appalling! I still have no idea how she was able to be so specific without me actually giving her the information.

crikey
    Free Member

I still have no idea how she was able to be so specific without me actually giving her the information.

Using Occams razor; the idea that the simplest explanation is most likely to be true, what is most likely in this case?

Is it really that this person could read your thoughts, or somehow glean the information using a paranormal technique?

…and if so, why was she charging £10 a time to demonstrate this 'special gift' rather than living a life of luxury by exploiting it for financial gain, or using her skill to help make the world a better place?

They are good at it, but it's not magic, it's basic headology as used by Granny Weatherwax in Terry Pratchetts novels.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

crikey – I never suggested it was 'magic', I merely stated I couldnt understand how she had been so specific without any input from myself. Go back and read my post again, then perhaps you could reply in a less patronising manner.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She must be pretty good; she saw you coming…

LOL!

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry if I came across as patronising, that really wasn't my intention, I was trying to point out that your surprise at her ability is true, but that a logical and rational approach would suggest that however she managed to do it, it probably wasn't in any way paranormal or unusual.

Again though, if she has this gift, and I'm wrong, why is she using it for trivial entertainment?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok I do not believe in the paranormal but there have been things that I can't explain….. come on the you sceptics rationalize please

For a period of about 6 months about a year ago the light in my Daughter's room (1year old when it started) used to come on by itself in the night, always between 7 – 11pm.

This happended on many occasions and to start with me and SO started by putting it down to one of us leaving it on. After it happended a handful of times we were sure it wasn't one of us doing it. It was the same situation every time. light tured on but dimmed to half light. After about the 5th or 6th time we got in to a routine of pushing the light off and then turning the dimmer all the way down so it would have been off even if you pressed it by accident. Later it was always same story, one of us would go up to the toilet and find the light on and half dimmed.

It happended enough to alarm us but I could never but it down to anything. It happended on many occasions when we both put her to bed and then both went down together. No electrical work was ever carried out during this period and it hasn't happended since. 6 months of very strange things, freaked the misses out somewhat and annoyed me as could never put my finger on why.

For all you believers we have 3 deceased parents between us and this was our 1st child, this period also covered the 1st 6 months that she went into her own room on her own

gonefishin
    Free Member

crikey – I never suggested it was 'magic', I merely stated I couldnt understand how she had been so specific without any input from myself.

You say that she got many things right, but how many things did she say that were wrong or were so vague that they are open to interpretation?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

No worries crikey. My surprise was mainly due to the fact that (a)I kept schtum throughout in order to prevent her from cold reading, etc, and she appeared, in fact no, she was able to give me specific dates, names, etc. It was a bonus as well that she kept the 'whooo' factor to a minimum, and appeared as ready to take the p**s out of herself as I was to do it for her.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

gonefishin – amazingly, she wasnt vague at all, just kind of bang bang bang, there you go. As I've said a couple of times, I generally think very little of so called 'mediums', I know how the vast majority of them 'work', but in this instance, I have no (rational) explanation.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It happended enough to alarm us but I could never but it down to anything. It happended on many occasions when we both put her to bed and then both went down together. No electrical work was ever carried out during this period and it hasn't happended since. 6 months of very strange things, freaked the misses out somewhat and annoyed me as could never put my finger on why.

Impossible to tell without being aware of all of the surrounding details, including stuff you probably forgot.

A more interesting question is why would a dead grandparent turn the light on.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I bet it was your wife. There is a wealth of scientific evidence to support the conclusion that women are F**king Nutters. No offence to your wife like 😉

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Coffeking, what other details could play apart? Child was to small to do it and couldn't reach if she tried. No one else was ever in the house at the time.

As I said I do not believe in anything paranormal, just through the grandparents thing in to keep it relevant…

crikey
    Free Member

The interesting bits in all this are less to do with what happened and more to do with the way that people assume because something is unexplained, it should have a 'paranormal' origin.

In terms of the light being on, is it reasonable to assume some third party/spirit/ancestral power is the reason?

To do so assumes that;

i) Said thing has some ability to detect that a light is on or off.

ii) Said thing has some ability to operate electrical switches.

iii) Said thing has some knowledge of time.

iv) Said thing can use the above qualities to keep turning a light on.

So by postulating a spiritual reason for the light, we assume a ghost with a watch, with a solid finger, and some kind of light sensitive apparatus.

What would seem at first glance to be the simplest explanation doesn't really cut it.

It's also interesting to think that we can live in a world bound for the most part by certain rules, yet choose to ignore those rules when faced with something unexplainable.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Coffeking, what other details could play apart?

A faulty dimmer switch?

toyrobot
    Free Member

Once whilst stopping at an ex's house I couldn't sleep and was looking up at the ceiling. I slowly became aware that I was looking up at a woman who was laying as if on a bed but on the ceiling. I wasn't scared though it sounds hellish scary, I rolled slowly onto my side and the woman stayed infront of me so now she was on the side wall. Again I rolled the other way and again she followed my gaze. I gave up here and pulled the quilt over my head. Eventually I fell asleep but didn't have a great night.
    In the morning when my ex came in and asked if I'd had a good nights sleep I told her the freak story. Turns out her Grandmother had died in the room some years before. Her parents were religious (hence the seperate rooms, me sleeping alone) and she made me promise not to tell her parents.
    I still completely believe what I saw but at the same time I'm sceptical about ghosts. Conflicting opinions I know. If conversations turn to ghosts at first I argue against then remember the experience and have to jump to the other side of the fence.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeking, what other details could play apart?

Faulty electrics, damp, mistaken bumping of switches (especially those that you press to turn on/off and rotate to dim), other-halves freaking you out on purpose for a joke and not telling you for years because you seemed to be drawn in by it. Any or all of the above would seem more likely to me than a visiting spirit turning lights on for no apparent reason. Of course you'll say no because you're sure of that not being the case, but there could be something you've forgotten, or didn't consider as important at the time etc.

Turns out her Grandmother had died in the room some years before. Her parents were religious (hence the seperate rooms, me sleeping alone) and she made me promise not to tell her parents.

Seems a bit mean to keep that from her parents, I mean they might have wanted to go to the funeral.

And of course the fact that we're programmed to "see" faces and people in things (thats why we see faces and body shapes in clouds and trees etc) and the fact that you were tired would have nothing to do with it. Not to mention how realistic dreams can be, and how you can be dreaming but think you're awake etc, I'm not sure how you can be too spooked by it.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

A faulty dimmer switch?

Switched it with the one in the spare room, It didn't change anything.

Crikey – Again I didn't say this was paranormal, I didn't assume it was anything spiritual and I do not believe. Maybe I should have posted this on the chat forum under electrical problem. Was just interested to see if anyone could think of something I hadn't.
    So if the believer's are gullable whats someone who discredits their views without offering any reasonable explanation?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I still maintain that a lot of what we term 'paranormal' is just us wanting to believe there is something more after death. You can call it faith, belief, or dress it up as religion, whatever. I've been interested in this sort of 'stuff' for years, and although I've had a few experiences that I have no rational explanation for, I can in no way offer this as any kind of proof. I was a member of a paranormal research group for a few years, and found that most 'hauntings' can be put down to dodgy plumbing, etc. Your imagination and the fact that youre on your own in a creepy old building in the middle of the night does the rest for you. It both amuses and depresses me that we desperately want to believe that what are generally quite mundane events (flickering lights, creaking or knocking sounds, etc) are in some way the souls or ghosts of departed friends / family attempting to get in touch. Having said that, a part of me still wants to believe, but equally, I am also able to see the naivety of this aspect of my personality 😳

gonefishin
    Free Member

So if the believer's are gullable whats someone who discredits their views without offering any reasonable explanation?

It's not for those of us who don't believe in such things to prove that they don't exist, it's for those that do believe to provide the proof and saying "I don't understand so it must be ghosts/elves/witches/spirits etc" does not constitute proof.

In your case I'd have started off by replacing the dimmer switch with a proper on off one and if it kept happening I'd have gotten an electrician in as there would appear to be something wrong with the electrics.

crikey
    Free Member

It's difficult to offer explanations when the experiences people have are so specific and personal. I would also suggest that believers are not gullible; they just think about these things in a different way; that's not a negative thing, it's just not how I would think.

It's interesting to think that the author responsible for the most popular demonstration of the rational approach; Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes, was also a believer in spiritualism and the paranormal.

As I said, from where I sit, it's live people who are strange, not dead ones…

Haze

other-halves freaking you out on purpose for a joke and not telling you for years because you seemed to be drawn in by it

You've just given me an idea 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

A friends parents took a picture of the granny's headstone and the image came back with a monkey sitting on the gravesone???

Could be accidental exposure or a supasnaps joke etc.

I don't think it's a ghost but it is interesting!

BoardinBob

When I was a nipper my parents had put wallpaper in my room that depicted a farm yard (wtf!)

Anyway, apparently I used to scream the place down convinced that the animals on the wallpaper were coming to life and moving about

😆

bedmaker

My mother had a similar experience to barnselymitch many moons ago after getting dragged along with friends to see Sweimn Macdonald.
    She was a non believer and probably pretty mortified to be there. He didnt say much, but it was spookily acccurate

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘My 2 1/2 year old keeps saying he sees a lady in his room…….’ is closed to new replies.