• This topic has 83 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Most reliable actors?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Nic Cage? Seriously?

He will appear in literally any old dross. Total opposite of reliable.

James McAvoy was in one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. It was called Wanted and I urge you to avoid it.

Considine and Gleeson are good shouts.

To even up the gender imbalance may I suggest Sally Hawkins and Jennifer Lawrence.

MrPottatoHead

Samuel L Jackson

Has been in plenty of shit movies. I don’t think they guy has ever turned a script down. Watch Arena for proof.

Kuco

Denzel Washington Out of Time was utter crap but generally, he’s good.

Zoe Saldana been in some good films.

ross980
    Free Member

Alan Rickman (RIP 😔)

Caher

Agree with most of the above, Tom Cruise is rarely in a bad movie.

nash

Gene Hackman.

drlex
    Free Member

Hmmmm – Far and Away, Cocktail, Elizabethtown, Days of Thunder; need I go on?
    Agree with the view that Jason Statham is reliable, due to him playing exactly the same role in every film. Hugh Grant is another good example of consistency, even if Paddington 2 is his acting high point.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Fred McMurray
    Fred Astaire
    James Cagney
    Humphrey Bogart
    Ginger Rogers
    Jack Lemon
    Katherine Hepburn
    Simon Pegg
    Klaus Kinski

kcr
    Free Member

Frances McDormand. Rarely puts a foot wrong.
    A couple of her recent co-stars, Rockwell and Harrelson have a pretty good strike rate as well.
    If you include TV as well as film, Neil Maskell always seems to be in interesting things.
    Christian Bale generally avoids phoning it in for the money on straight to DVD stuff.

I think Nice Cage is a great actor, but I’m afraid I’d dodge anything I see his name next to these days! Slightly tempted to break my rule by the good reviews of “Mandy”. Anyone seen it?

hols2
    Free Member

I think Hanks record doesn’t correspond with what you imply.

I’m not implying anything, I’m saying straight out that his films are dross and he’s a mediocre actor.

csb

Morgan Freeman, can’t think of a bad one.

Northwind

The Rock. Because you always know 100% what you’re going to get with the Rock and he will always deliver. That’s reliability. And I’ve honestly never unenjoyed one of his films, even the terrible ones are funny. He can’t act but that’s OK because all he has to do is walk around being enormous and either charismatic or intense.

Chiwetel Ejiofor? Except for 2012.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

@kcr – Mandy is a very weird film – cage goes totally bonkers. Worth watching for it’s weirdness.

hols2
    Free Member

Morgan Freeman, can’t think of a bad one.

Million Dollar Baby was predictable and forgettable. Driving Miss Daisy was awful. Wanted was ridiculous bilge.

Can’t really blame him though, just like De Niro and Cage, if someone turns up with a big bag of cash to appear in a shitty movie, you might as well take it to pay off the mortgage, won’t stop you doing something good as well.

kcr
    Free Member

Can’t really blame him though, just like De Niro and Cage, if someone turns up with a big bag of cash to appear in a shitty movie, you might as well take it to pay off the mortgage, won’t stop you doing something good as well.

Yes, he’s 81, and cash aside, turning up on set to be Morgan Freeman a few times a year probably beats a cup of tea down the community centre or rambling with the local U3A group.

kerley
    Free Member

Marlon Brando although maybe not so reliable these days.

martinhutch

I don’t think Philip Seymour Hoffman did anything that wasn’t excellent, did have the sense to die before he got unlucky though.

I’m not implying anything, I’m saying straight out that his (Hanks’) films are dross and he’s a mediocre actor.

<cough> Charlie Wilson’s War </cough>

I tend to agree with you on PSH. He even turned Mission Impossible III into my favourite of the series. But Philadelphia, Catch Me if You Can, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Bridge of Spies…dross?

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent thread. A list of actors who have been in films. Enjoyed it.
    I’ll add Brad Dourif, James Ganldofini, Jake Gyllanhaal, Chloe Grace Moretz.

chakaping
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Loving the hate for Mr Cage 🤣🤷‍♂️

His National Treasue movies are pretty robust, little adventure and predictable plots.

But they’re some of the most played films on Sky movies, and when they’re on I watch them over anything else.

I don’t think he’s a brilliant actor by any stretch, but he is reliable… and that was the OP’s intention wasn’t it?

🤠

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m also going to nominate this bloke.

Obviously I didn’t know what other movies he’d appeared in until he stepped on the set of Grand Budapest Hotel .. 🤦‍♂️

But he is pretty damn reliable 😜

bikebouy
    Free Member

We seem to be missing out on a number of other actors, I don’t know why they’ve been missed off.. perhaps it was a weekend thread and everyone was outside being lashed by the weather 🤷‍♂️

Harrison Ford

Mel Gibson

Bruce Willis

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m saying straight out that his films are dross and he’s a mediocre actor.

You obviously missed the classic Splash. Brilliant.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I’m a Nic Cage hater, but he is massively unfussy about film roles. Probably due to his well-documented issues with money (some jaw-dropping examples).

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Adam Sandler
    The Rock

by Ruaridh age 8

hols2
    Free Member

We seem to be missing out on a number of other actors, I don’t know why they’ve been missed off.. perhaps it was a weekend thread and everyone was outside being lashed by the weather 🤷‍♂️

Harrison Ford

Mel Gibson

Bruce Willis

Bruce Willis sucks. Mel Gibson isn’t a very good actor. Harrison Ford is pretty good at what he does though.

hols2
    Free Member

In fact, Bruce Willis actually managed to make Tom Hanks look relatively good in Bonfire of the Vanities, which sucked.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tommy Lee Jones.

He’s turned in a flawless performance of Tommy Lee Jones in every film he’s ever been in.

hols2
    Free Member

tenfoot

Olivia Colman

DezB
    Free Member

Joaquin Pheonix
    Beat Takeshi
    Jack Nicholson (Yeah he’s been in few dodgy ones (Witches of Eastwick), but he’s probably the most reliable actor of all time ever.)

joeydeacon
    Free Member

not just films, but Paddy Considine & Mark Heap are consistently good IMO

edlong
    Free Member

Donald Sutherland – he’s so good that even if you drop him into an otherwise bad film, it automatically becomes good by virtue of his appearance in it. E.g. JFK

Similarly, Dennis Hopper, although he’s been a bit quiet of late.

Jack Nicholson used to be my touchstone for this. Then I paid good money to see Wolf at the cinema, and revised the theory.

Bunnyhop

Judi Dench
    Helen Mirren

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Oh and Tom Hardy hasn’t been mentioned yet?

votchy
    Free Member

Arnie

handybar
    Free Member

The most unreliable actor is Michael Caine, not necessarily in terms of his performances, but the fact he picks some terrible movies.
    Robert De Niro is the most reliable both in acting ability and picking good films.

DickBarton

Patrick Stewart

Victoria Wood

hols2
    Free Member

Robert De Niro is the most reliable both in acting ability and picking good films.

No, De Niro has done a lot of rubbish films for the paycheck. Dirty Grandpa and all the Fockers films come to mind. Easy to forgive though, given the truly great stuff he’s done as well.

edlong
    Free Member

Michael Caine, not necessarily in terms of his performances, but the fact he picks some terrible movies.

..and is wonderfully shameless about it. One of my favourite quotes (dunno if reliable, maybe apocryphal, but is credible) was what he (allegedly) said about Jaws 4:

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Most reliable actors?’ is closed to new replies.