Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 355 total)
  • More clever advertising that I don't understand…
  • crikey
    Free Member

He didn’t ask you what kind of tyre you wanted?

Nope, and I got no colour choice either.

SamCooke
    Free Member

That is very unusual, i’ve always been asked what brand or at least if i want budget, or not. I bet you were overcharged and it took ages

crikey
    Free Member

It cost £40 and took about 15 minutes. Maybe you look like a sucker?

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe you look like a sucker?

But not the fact that marketing is involved in every purchase you make.

SamCooke
    Free Member

I must do, that sounds like excellent service. I have a friend in Dover who needs a full set on his Saab. Near the ferry port you say. I’ll let him know, can you remember what it was called or a a more precise location?

alpin
    Free Member

wow….

crikey
    Free Member

But not the fact that marketing is involved in every purchase you make.

Yes, if it makes you feel better.

I prefer to think that when I’ve been driving for that length of time I develop a thousand yard stare which makes people give me the best deal they can possibly acheive to avoid being killed.
    I could be wrong.

donsimon
    Free Member

As long as you don’t feel like you’ve been suckered into anything.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll let him know, can you remember what it was called or a a more precise location?

You mean you want me to market the product to him?

Show me the money…

SamCooke
    Free Member

What ? No! Not at all.i just wanted to know where one could find an honest and reliable tyre fitter in the Dover area. Thanks!

crikey
    Free Member

As long as you don’t feel like you’ve been suckered into anything

I asked Mrs Crikey and she said ‘Shut up’, which I probably the best advice I’ve heard all day.

crikey
    Free Member

What ? No! Not at all.i just wanted to know where one could find an honest and reliable tyre fitter in the Dover area. Thanks!

I’m still not seeing any money…. 😉

I’ve very little idea; it was about 4-5-6 years ago and I was a bit tired to be honest!

SamCooke
    Free Member

But not ‘tyred’ enough, i would venture! Ho ho!

crikey
    Free Member

Meh… I’ll give you that one!

I’m not suggesting that I am immune to the charms of the marketing folk; I but many things that are undoubtedly sold to people like me; I buy Oakley specs, and their copies. I buy Castelli clothes, I buy and am interested in stuff that is sold and marketed to me through the whole pro-cycling thing. I’m just not so sure about the ‘marketing touches every transaction’ thing…

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m just not so sure about the ‘marketing touches every transaction’ thing…

That’s the price you pay. The numbers aren’t just invented. 😉

Cougar

Tell you one thing – irarely get boggoff unless I wanted two anyway

Eh? You pick up one item and leave another perfectly free one on the shelf? You must have more money than sense.

my daughter puts forward a more compelling argument for washing up brand a rather than brand b against tj’s. she goes by colour.

this is NOT a decision she makes based on marketing. they are the colours they are by accident, not by design.

Er, no. Washing up liquid is precisely coloured specifically for marketing reasons. If it was accidentally any colour it’d be clear.

I drove to the first tyre place in the town and said ‘Put me a new tyre on’.

Then I paid for said tyre, and carried on driving.

Marketing input? Nil.

How do you think the tyre fitter chose a tyre for you? Randomly? “This is black and round, it’ll do”? Or did he perhaps fit what they’d bought on offer that week, or had the highest %age markup, or the one he was on commission to fit due to a promotional campaign from the supplier, or the one he personally thought was best?

Marketing input? Plenty.

brooess
    Free Member

If you read this thread without logging in (and without the ad filter, I presume), you get an ad for this website Tyre Shopper

Which is selling car tyres, on an MTB forum??

That’s how sophisticated marketing is folks, there’s no way that’s a coincidence, they must be tracking the words used in the thread and serving up what they think are appropriate ads. Genius 😉

crikey
    Free Member

How do you think the tyre fitter chose a tyre for you?

He had one tyre in the place that fitted my car, it being a not entirely standard vehicle. It was black, and round… are you some kind of Psychic?

Again, I dispute your estimate of marketing input.

Cougar

I wonder how they chose which brand of that size to carry?

aa
    Free Member

cougar, my colour co,ment was an attempt at being facetious…

crikey
    Free Member

I have no idea.

I suggest though that your attempts to link marketing to the primary driving factor behind me buying a tyre when I needed one are becoming desperate.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He had one tyre in the place that fitted my car, it being a not entirely standard vehicle. It was black, and round..

How jolly convenient, given the point you’re trying to make, eh? Jolly convenient.

donsimon
    Free Member

Has anyone ever seen TJ and crikey in the same room at the same time? 😉
    Would you have accepted the tyre if they tried charging 2k? After all you said it was selected and fitted without discussing price.

SamCooke
    Free Member

It was the only tyre in the place, as he drove away, he noticed his other tyre was suspiciously in a similar condition to the one he replaced

brooess
    Free Member

Opinions are always valid…

Problem is, speaking as someone with 16 years experience, DS clearly understands marketing and is explaining just how the process works – and that’s it underpins everything a business does in relation to its customers. Basically, a business cannot have customers if it does not do marketing…

Worth taking a look here – the Chartered Institute of Marketing website and the pdf which defines the 7Ps of marketing.

CIM definition of marketing

The management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying customer requirements profitably.

crikey
    Free Member

Jolly convenient.

Indeed, thank goodness for tyre purveyors, otherwise the situation would have been somewhat inconvenient. I think you might have to explain your point further, for its meaning has escaped me.

crikey
    Free Member

Would you have accepted the tyre if they tried charging 2k?

So we are haggling over the price now, rather than talking about the pervasiveness or otherwise of marketing?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has anyone ever seen TJ and crikey in the same room at the same time?

There’s a picture somewhere. I think it’s been photoshopped or air-brushed though TBH.

crikey
    Free Member

the Chartered Institute of Marketing website and the pdf which defines the 7Ps of marketing.

Sorry…. The Institute of Marketing have a definition of ….. Marketing?

Well shave my head and call me a baldy, who’d a thunk it?

donsimon
    Free Member

So we are haggling over the price now, rather than talking about the pervasiveness or otherwise of marketing?

Well, considering price is pretty important as far as the marketing mix goes, then yes, I would say price is pretty important when discussing the influence of marketing in the world of purchasing.
    Now I see, you’re just talking about advertising again, my mistake, sorry.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Initially there were only 4Ps of marketing, but i think the extra ones were on a 3 for 2 offer.

crikey
    Free Member

Serious qusetion: are there any instances of a purchase, or otherwise exchange of money for service or goods in which marketing does not play a role?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    Serious qusetion: are there any instances of a purchase, or otherwise exchange of money for service or goods in which marketing does not play a role?

Well, there was this bloke that needed to buy a tyre once….

crikey
    Free Member

…and, as with my Rapha thing above, are there any instances in which the marketing of a product or service has a detrimental effect?

donsimon
    Free Member

I would venture to say that in a profit making business the answer has to be no, but happy to look at suggestions where I could be wrong.
    Simply put marketing puts products into the hands of customers who want the products, TJ included.

crikey
    Free Member

Is that not a fairly wide definition of ‘marketing’?

I would choose to view marketing as the promotion of a product, rather than the entire process of production and eventual sales. I would not be averse to being educated about this, having it ‘marketed’ to me, as it where.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

are there any instances in which the marketing of a product or service has a detrimental effect

Actually, I was just thinking this over while I was listening to a Stella Artois Cidre ad on XFM. Now, it wouldn’t be my favourite cider in the first place, but occasionally if I see it going cheap, I’ll pick up a few cans of it – can’t beat a can of cold shitty cider after a hot sessions of circuits in the evening sun (well you can, but that’s another discussion). However, the current ad is trying to convince us that Cidre must be enjoyed from a chalice…bollocks…continental…Belgian accent…etc and that Cider is some bumpkin drink that has to be enjoyed from a “pint glass”.

To be honest, Stella can **** off now if they think I’m going to buy their shite anymore on the basis of that kind of advertising. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy, surely you should be drinking that well known Oirish Coider that is Magners?

Oh, no. Hold on a minute. That’s utter rat’s pish as well.

😉

Seriously, you’re in Brizzle and drinking WifeBeater Cider? Hang your head in shame…! 🙂

Cougar

cougar, my colour co,ment was an attempt at being facetious…

I do apologise, I’m a little decaffeinated today.

I suggest though that your attempts to link marketing to the primary driving factor behind me buying a tyre when I needed one are becoming desperate.

I’d concur with your suggestion that desperation is involved in this discussion, certainly.

More seriously, I wasn’t saying that it was your ‘primary’ factor, I was disputing the assertion that marketing wasn’t involved in your purchase. To wit, it was intrinsically involved, just indirectly; the garage chose what to stock, influenced by marketing decisions, even if you didn’t.

Arguably of course, “you’ll have to have this, it’s the only one we’ve got” is the pinnacle of marketing strategy. You’re in a garage with a flat tyre, you’re the perfect target market for them to sell whatever they like to you with a fairly guaranteed 100% success rate.

Hey, maybe they thought “this guy is clearly not bothered and will buy any old shit, give him one of those in the back we’ve been trying to get shut of for months.”

donsimon
    Free Member

…and, as with my Rapha thing above, are there any instances in which the marketing of a product or service has a detrimental effect?

Plenty of examples, if you look at advertising, look no further than the reaction of Liverpool fans when Vodafone started sponsorship of Man Utd, or NTL (I think) sponsoring Rangers and Celtic. Think of celebrities who’ve had sponsorship contracts cancelled after some of their more questionable actions.
    The list goes on.
    I have a Samsung phone in no way because of their sponsorship of Chelsea, but because I have an affinity with the company and think the product is good.

I would choose to view marketing as the promotion of a product, rather than the entire process of production and eventual sales. I would not be averse to being educated about this, having it ‘marketed’ to me, as it where.

Have a look at the 7ps, it’s significantly more than just promotion.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 355 total)

The topic ‘More clever advertising that I don't understand…’ is closed to new replies.