Home Forums Bike Forum Minimalist multitool with chain breaker.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Minimalist multitool with chain breaker.
  • mjsmke

In an effort to reduce what I carry on each ride I realised most the tools on my multitool are just not needed, or inadequate.

Screwdrivers, a few of the Allen keys and torx keys don’t fit anything on my bike.

It’s quite a large topeak multitool which, whist very robust, is annoyingly bulky and heavy.

Looking for recommendations for a small/minimalist multitool with a chain breaker.

clubby

I have a Topeak mini ratchet tool with the additional chain tool accessory. Fits in the same pouch and is a very small package.

5lab
    Free Member

gerber cool tool is surely what you want? free with a subscription of MBUK, circa 1998

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cool+Tool

Northwind

I think the topeak hexus is about as small as it really gets while still having a good breaker. It does have tools which are probably redundant for a lot of people, especially as the tyre levers are terrible, but it’s just really difficult to get physically smaller and still have a good breaker, it’s already very clever about how it packages it. Their Mini P20 is lighter and a little smaller but it’s a massively less useful tool, you lose way too much for it to be worth it imo.

Maybe the best way is to go with a multitool without a breaker? There are very compact standalone breakers, or stowable ones like barends etc.

honourablegeorge

Oneup EDC is my standard answer here.

bikesandboots

Topeak Mini P20

The chain breaker screw is a bit loose, put a dot of grease or even threadlock on it to avoid losing it.

BenjiM

I’ve had a Topeak Hexus for about 15 years or so. Wouldn’t be without it. Not huge either and for 20 quid it’s a good piece of kit.

ajantom

Blackburn Big Switch – best tool I’ve ever owned.

Comes in a palm/small pocket sized wallet. Extremely good quality tools.

images

stevehine

Still got my cooltool, the Allen keys are long lost but it’s my regular chain splitter !

dovebiker

Lezyne SV10 or SV11 – I’ve had to use mine a few time in anger to split/rejoin other people’s chains. The Topeak Hexus that I bought around the same time is a rusty lump at the bottom of a box of stuff that doesn’t get used – the Lezyne still looks like new.

DrJ

For a price, there’s the Day Saver. Or you could save money and hire a limousine to drive you home after a mechanical.

whatgoesup

+1 for the lezyne SV tools. Excellent bits of kit and as dovebiker says they just don’t corrode or degrade. I’ve got an SV10 which is truly tiny, light (101g) (and also very “flat” which means it fits into pockets etc nicely).

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I’ll second the OneUp EDC, the one in my pump has been used multiple times to salvage rides.

fatface1
    Free Member

How about just the few, individual hex keys you need (that you already have) and a small chain breaker?

I haven’t had to use it yet but I’ve got this. Pretty minimalist. https://mtzoom.com/products/handy-multitool

jamesoz

Can’t get links to work.

Topeak Ratchet Rocket. Used one for years, great little tool for whatever bits you use. Lack of an 8mm might be a concern.

I quite like the ones that slot in the bottom bracket, the Giant Clutch works pretty well, although the end cap needs re-glueing on mine.

alwillis

One of these on each bike https://mtzoom.com/products/handy-multitool

Got one thinking it was cheap enough I could loose it an replace. Still going 10years later, with 2 or 3 more on other bikes.

scotroutes

Topeak BB Hide ‘n tool?

niel11
    Free Member

I use the Giant Clutch system:

I have a Co2 cylinder and regulator in the fork steerer tube(it also blocks the bottom of the steerer tube and stops mud clogging everything)

I also have the multi tool, chain breaker tool and quick links stored in the hollow tube in the crank.

I think I paid less than £50 for both of them so shop around as some places sell the crank storage for £70 alone (it’s not worth that!)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/clutch-tools

hot_fiat

Have you thought about undoing the nut & bolt that hold your current Topeak together, remove the tools you don’t use and then put it back together with some smaller bolts?

seriousrikk

I’m still using a Crankbrothers M17 which seems to be absolutely fine for most jobs.

I’ve got a oneup tool in my steerer but still end up taking the M17 because it’s just easier to use without setup faff.

jamesoz

scotroutesFull Member
    Topeak BB Hide ‘n tool?

No 6mm

ratherbeintobago

I’ve got a Silca tool which is pretty small and has a chain breaker.

I think I’ve got a small Park Tool chain tool somewhere else that goes down pretty small too?

jkomo

Mini ratchet is the only thing I don’t hate when actually trying to fix something.

sharkattack

Has anyone tried the Granite Stash stuff?

They do a bar mounted chain splitter and a headtube mounted ratchet. Never seen them in the flesh so not sure how good they are.

Does anyone ever have a rejoin a chain on the trail? Surely that’s pointless if you’re carrying the right split link.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Surely that’s pointless if you’re carrying the right split link

I’ve always thought the tool more use for removing a bit of mangled chain.  Not something I’ve used for years trailside though, last time I had a chain/derailleur incident there wasn’t a lot of usable chain left.

They do a bar mounted chain splitter

Problem there for me is an apparent preference for grips that aren’t open ended

mjsmke

Does anyone ever have a rejoin a chain on the trail? Surely that’s pointless if you’re carrying the right split link.

Can only use a quick link to join the thinner links together. You still need a chain breaker to remove the thicker link before using a spare quick link by hand.

BadlyWiredDog

Lezyne SV10 or SV11 – I’ve had to use mine a few time in anger to split/rejoin other people’s chains.

I don’t know if Lezyne has improved their chain-breaker, but they used to have a tendency to break as evidenced by Lezyne selling replacement parts, as per:

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/bike-maintenance-c10/tool-spares-c184/lezyne-multi-tool-stainless-breaker-body-p10158

Tbf, I’ve been using about four Lezyne multitools for years and only broken a chain breaker body the once, but then I’ve only used them a handful of times in total. I’d like to say the One Up EDC, but so far haven’t had to use mine to break/repair a chain. Always carry some spare quicklinks kids :-)

sharkattack

Can only use a quick link to join the thinner links together. You still need a chain breaker to remove the thicker link before using a spare quick link by hand.

I realise that. Breaking the knackered links out is the easy part I was just wondering if anyone sits on the side of the trail trying to locate a pin and rejoin a chain properly. For me a proper repair can wait until I get home.

mrmo
    Free Member

Essential8

and

Coworking5

about as minimalist as you’re going to get, and still work.

zerocool

@Hot_Fiat – I’ve done this successfully in the past with multitools.

oP what about just getting a few individual Allen keys you need and a separate chain tool?

I just have a Crank Bros multi tool that fits in a pocket

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

@Sharkattack, I have 2 of the granite stash tools. The first one which is a bit like the one up edc, ie a mini folding multitool and I also have the mini ratchet one in the other bike. The first on is OK, great that it’s always on the bike but the tool bits do get a bit rusty unless you plan to take it out and dry it off all the time. The ratchet is fantastic, basically a ratchet rocket in your head tube. Again, the bits get a bit rusty but not too bad and they are replaceable.

As others have mentioned, topeak ratchet rocket in my eyes is just leagues better than anything else out there. It might not be the most compact but I think it’s different to other multitools. Most multitools are compromised, get you home tools. The ratchet rocket is a no compromise workshop quality tool that you can carry in your pocket. I have a few of them and as you can tell, just love them. I’d happily build an entire bike with one, infact, I probably have done!

John

DickBarton

those items that @mrmo posted about look great, but they aren’t cheap. I’ve a similar type thing from Lifeline (I think) – a very small tool wrap with a chain breaker and a rod that allows various heads to be added. I carry a mech hangar and quicklinks with it and it sorts everthing apart from my cranks on my bike. I tend to also carry tyre levers with quick link pliers and some CO2 canisters. Doesn’t take much space up and covers pretty much everything that I’d be able to have to fix to get home. Cranks are likely to have snapped so unlikely to need 8mm and a torque wrench to refit!

cookeaa

My preferred tool to take out riding is still my CB-M19, tempted to get a couple of M17s to distribute around the fleet.

The CB tool has been far more robust than any other multi-tools I’ve had, and that goes a long way, I’d rather a tool was solid and functional when I need it, than  a bit more compact/lighter, but starts falling apart after a few uses…

I keep looking at the Granite designs EDC knock-offs too, but Steerer stashed tools do often seem a bit too compromised to meet the space constraints IMO.

DickBarton
    sharkattack

I keep looking at the Granite designs EDC knock-offs too, but Steerer stashed tools do often seem a bit too compromised to meet the space constraints IMO.

The earlier hex key version was definitely shrunken down to the limit of usefulness but the newer ratchet version looks much better.

This might be the month that I actually give in to curiosity and buy one.

fossy

Crank Brothers M19 is my favourite tool, and the one I take on the FS MTB. Chain Breaker and the built in spoke key have been used on the trail.

rockhopper70
    sharkattack

Just been looking at this in Go Outdoors. £29 members price.

PXL_20240902_141717655

It looks pretty good but doesn’t have a chain breaker. Also it doesn’t solve my problem of carrying tools in bags or pockets. I want something that fits on the bike.

I’ve seen some comments online that suggest the Topeak tool and bits are the same items as the Granite ones. I wouldn’t be surprised at this as they’re not likely in the business of manufacturing their own tools.

jamesoz

I want something that fits on the bike

Giant Clutch BB if you can find one a sensible price.  Another is the covert 7 bb tool if it fits your cranks, around £30 or £15 if you can stomach the knock offs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.