Home Forums Chat Forum Midlife crisis purchase/investment

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Midlife crisis purchase/investment
  • mjsmke

Tell me about your midlife crisis purchase/investment. Any regrets?

ton

is this really a thing ?    it must have bypassed me…… never felt/needed anything.

wheelsonfire1

Loads of high end nine speed triple spares, enough to last me until I’m 120!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Loads of high end nine speed triple spares, enough to last me until I’m 120!

When 3×9 comes back into vogue: minted.

scotroutes

As @ton says, but I don’t even know when midlife is.

Tracey

Not a crisis but bought on impulse 9 years ago. Allowed us to explore and ride in some amazing places

No regrets

Snapchat-1709318518522553760-1

IMG-20190701-WA0002

20240620_130459

2024-10-22_08-54-07

Been and gone now, think doing my test and getting a motorbike will be next

longdog
    Free Member

I’d like to buy a chunk of woodland for bush crafty camping fun, but it’s not very likely. Marginally more likely is to get a van again to convert.

54,but doubt I’ll make 108!

fruitbat

If 68 counts as mid-life then this:

1982-alfa-romeo-gtv-661e92901dcbd

tthew

Right, I don’t think I’ve told this story on here before, although some ON here have probably been regaled with it in the past.

A few years ago, and for a few years, I really fancied a Porsche, (yep, the quintessential mid-life crisis car). Nothing spectacularly spendy, a 2nd generation, 2.7 litre Cayman and after going on and on about it to my partner, she enthusiastically* came around to the idea. So like the good mechanical engineer I am, I thoroughly researched all the problematical areas to look for, (IMS bearing, front mounted radiators but not the bore-scoring issue, that’s the 3.2’s for example) and after a few weeks found one in my area that looked nice, had service history at a sensible price from a garage with good review. Cool, I’ll arrange a test drive for the weekend.

So I rock up in morning armed with my list of checks and in the showroom it looks exactly as advertised with none of the warning signs of an impending wallet raping. Even had some new receipts for ignition coil packs the garage had done when it came in. Test drive went well, I like it so I shake the blokes hand and give him a small deposit it hold it while I sort out the balance.

That same evening I’m sitting at home and get to thinking about the practicalities of ownership, because this is going to be my daily driver too. How will I transport my bikes being the chief one as I do a 2 or 3 day per week half drive half ride commute in addition to weekend MTB trips with all the muddy gear etc. Can’t put a tow ball on them, central exhaust pipe. Roofbars? Seasucker bike rack? Hmm, again coming back to the mechanical engineer idea of function being greater than form…

Rang the bloke up at opening time the following day, told him I’d changed my mind. Didn’t even have the brass balls to ask for the deposit back. Bought a Diesel Transit Connect instead. My missis still pisses herself about the shortest mid-life crisis in history. 18 hours start to finish, done.

*I can still remember the exact words of endorsement, they were, “Well you might as well go and get one now before you get so old you look like a dick driving it”. I was 45 years old at this point.

diggery
    Free Member

I prefer the phrase mid life opportunity rather than crisis.

I think at last count I know 8 people with Porsches. Every one of them would have had it 20 years ago if they had the money/time/space/lower insurance.

Older kids, smaller mortgage, higher salaries and perhaps moving out of other hobbies are typical. It’s not a crisis it’s an opportunity. Enjoy it!

tthew

Ha, I even found a photo of the avoided Porsche.

cayman 3

slackboy

even found a photo of the avoided Porsche

You know they make bike racks specifically for Caymans, right,?

https://birdautomotive3.com/cayman-bike-rack/

It’s not too late for crisis mode ..

lamp
    Free Member

@fruitbat – that is beautiful!

I met a bloke at Goodwood a year or so ago who had restored one of these (could have been you!), he was also telling me that he’d just started the restoration of a Jensen Interceptor – if i get around to a midlife crisis, then this would be it!

doomanic

The bloke has retired, so it is too late…

gregsd
    Free Member

my wife told me that I couldn’t afford to have a mid life crisis/opportunity 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.