Home Forums Bike Forum Mid ride top up of washed out drip-on chain wax

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Mid ride top up of washed out drip-on chain wax
    bikesandboots

I’ve been using Effetto Flowerpower for a few years, very happy with it. Runs clean, lasts fine for at least 30km winter rides and 40km summer. Reapplied every ride in winter after rinsing the drivetrain with water.

However now on an eMTB and the wet winter ground it’s not lasting the whole ride before becoming noisy which I assume means it’s been washed out. The rides are up to about 50% longer and I’m riding up climbs I’d have previously had to push up, so not really surprising. This is a lite eMTB and mostly in eco (100W) so not huge additional load.

If I’d top up with drip-on wax mid ride I expect it’s just going to wash off quick as it hasn’t had time to dry, maybe attracting and circulating grit before it does.

Silca have an FAQ entry here on this very topic (for waxing generally), which recommends Synergetic which is the cleanest running wet lube. But if topping up with that, might I be better off just running that on its own?

Or has anyone found an alternative drip wax which lasts well in wet conditions? Zero Friction Cycling has this video for CeramicSpeed Wet, incredibly long winded so I haven’t watched it and he hasn’t updated the website with it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve found Smoove to be a good weather resistant drip wax. Adam made similar comments in one of his videos but did caveat that with initial penetration issues.

I use Silca Hot wax and when on holiday take some Silca drip wax to top up in the evening but on an upcoming holiday, I plan to carry Silca synergetic in my pack for just such an eventuality

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.