Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 389 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Here it is. Good working order, nice smooth action – well pleased for £19!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good buy that for 19 quid!

Ive been making good use of my vice’ and mcmoonters old drill the day fixing up my girlfriends bikes…… She uses them till they stop moving and then moves onto the next telling no one nothing till they are all broken and it takes me a day and lots of £££ an penetrating oil to get them into gwo again !

A press might be next with the state of some ofthe bearings !!!!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19!

Very nice.

Have they painted the inside of the jaws as well? Still they’re easy to replace.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member
    Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19!
    Very nice.

Have they painted the inside of the jaws as well? Still they’re easy to replace.

Yes. I’ll wait and see if it effects operation at all. I’ve already found a place that sells replacements, about £14 iirc.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not jealous at all

*Runs off to set up ebay search*

P20

Worth checking gumtree too.
    Slight problem with mine. The bolt holes line up exactly with edge of the support beam on my bench. It’s not in its ideal position but will be fine for what I need.
    Looking at the shiny ones on here I’m tempted to try a refurb

wool

This thread is the best ever on Singletrack now on eBay to get one of my own I am sure used vales are going to rocket now 🙂

PePPeR

Ok some nice vices around here, anyone got a decent press though?

We have two in our workshop the small one for little jobs and the huge one we built using a jack for jacking up railway carriages!! (200 Ton Jack)

little press.

Big F off Press!

I’ve never seen that get stuck when used with a little judicious heat too!

😉

bencooper
    Free Member

A genuine Tangye? Good stuff 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Just got this bad boy off the bay for £7.50

😀

nedrapier

Afternoon All,

A mate’s moved into a house and the previous owner left this in the shed. Plenty of grease in the mechanisms, so it works fine, but plenty of surface corrosion everywhere else.

I’ve spent a while squinting at the letters, and they keep changing the more I look! Mangsones? Man & Sons?

I figured there’d probably be a few vice buffs on here who’d recognise the name from the shape of the logo.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ononeorange

Ah! Top thread resurrection!

Sits back and watches with interest.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been watching gumtree for ages now, missed out on a couple of crackers. Need to be quicker off the mark!.

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ve just been left a garage and some land by my late Grandfather. He was 85 when he popped it and did 50 years in the local granite quarry as a carpenter/fitter.

The bloke was a walking magpie and just had to ‘have’ stuff that was surplus in the quarry. I think he had a vice fettish so will have a look whats there. There is also a very large and old lathe there. Will report back at the weekend.

grey

I want to play, behold the behemoth that is my precious.
    I picked it for free with another from a high school that was being knocked down.

And just to keep in my Record 84 hidden on the bench, liberated from the local dockyard.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Finally, one with soft jaws. Shame on the rest of you 😀

grey

😀 I’ve got alloy plates as well, depends on what i’m going to hold.

CountZero

Thanks to this thread I have a rusty, but sound Record No 4. Just needs a good clean up with a rag and some thinners and a repaint. Sadly, I haven’t really got a decent shed and bench to bolt it to, but it’s already proved its worth while making my bushcraft knife. £50 on fleabay, so must be about £1/lb, then… 😀

Madfly
    Free Member

nedrapier, – It’s a Parkinsons Perfect vice.

From the top it should say
    Parkinsons
    Model F
    Trade
    Perfect vice
    Mark
    No 3 (or at least it looks like that size.)

They were made from about 1912 onwards, Sadly they wern’t date stamped. (or so i’m aware)

nedrapier

Madfly, that’s fantastic, thank you! 😀

Now I know what it’s supposed to say, the letters swim into place (mostly!)

Were/are they any good? guess you can’t go too far wrong with a couple of big lumps of metal and a screw…

Madfly
    Free Member

It would appear so if it’s lasted that long! Not the most versitile out there nor the biggest but fine for what it does.

nedrapier

Maybe there was a shortage of men live enough to use it for a stretch of that time?

http://www.walter9.info/Parkinsons/html/expansion.html

bruneep

Proud owner of this

Needs a bit of TLC

Purchased for £20 🙂

mick_r

I’ve got a couple of Records – one given by a neighbour and an 83 from my dad – given to me when he inherited his dad’s. It is lacking a limit stop on the leadscrew, meaning that the quick release lever gets fired round by the spring if you open it too far – it has been giving me blood blister reminders of this “feature” since childhood 🙂

I’ve also got a unique “Brian No.1” as per the enclosed photo. Made by my father in law during his Army REME training. The gap under the jaws is the perfect size to gently hold / allow easy rotation of frame tubes during brazing.

Madfly
    Free Member

Mick, it’s probabbly missing a washer!

To prevent it over opening they placed a simple penny washer at the end of the lead screw on most of their models. This act to stop the back of the sliding jaw cast from passing the half nut supports. It’ll probabbly be about 12mm id 30mm od.

fasthaggis

Just got one of these for the shed 🙂

It’s a bit overkill as the last one was a number 6 ,so it looks huge now it’s bolted on the end of the bench.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Not too much wood work vice love on here yet, so thought I’d add mine. I recently bought an old Record 52 1/2, which was in a pretty sad state.
    I was originally going to strip it all back and repaint it. But after removing most of the corrosion, thought it was best to leave what was left of the factory finish. I think I prefer it to show some scars from use over the decades.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve been digging for info on my Fortis

and found that they were from 91 Station Street

mine is the one on the left

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Fortis_Engineering_Co

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I do like those offset vices.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like my bench vices like the next man but this little fellow is incredibly handy!

smartay

Clearing out my dads garage and forgot all about the vice in there, its a “Samson”, green in colour or whats left of the paint. greased the threads working fine
    Believe it came from my granddads so probably few years old

Any info, opens up to about 6″

CountZero

That offset vice is genius! I’ve never seen anything quite like that, but it makes so much sense.

qwerty
    Free Member

mine is the one on the left

Doh! R I G H T

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats both mine mounted in their final resting place now -only took me forever to do it…..

my drill press lives to the left of the number 4 in the second picture and my bench grinder to the right. much taller and less deep work place than my old bench which was a nightmare of a height and far too deep – took up too much of the garage.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looks good Terry. Having good storage the keep the bench clear is something I need a lesson on.

RustyMac

McM this is something terry needs a lesson in as well, you should see what is just out of shot 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

But i have room to work…..thats the important thing russ…..

Behind me in that shot is a v8 engine, and lt85 long nose gear box , engine hoist , random sheet stock and various lengths of wood.,… As well as many cardboard boxes and polystyrene that needs a tip run. Oh and a land rover interior….

PePPeR

I bought a lovely Workbench today complete with a lovely Record 23 attached for the princely sum of £20. I then got given a Record 112 by the chap in the next unit along as he doesn’t use it anymore and I dug my old Fortis 10 out of the back of the shed to take the picture.

If anyone wants the Fortis 10 for free they’d be most welcome, it does have the quick release issue, needs the half nut sorting out but its free to a good home colection from just off Junction 12 of the M40 Near Gaydon.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Moved into a new house a month ago and got left a Record no3 and having read the above now know is a woodworking vice made by Marples

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These No.23 vices are huge. The 112 is probably still good for another 100 years. Top finds.

Doof Doof, what did you use to clean up your vice? I’ve got a woodworking vice that needs a refurb, I’d be delighted if I could ge it anywhere near as shiny as yours.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 389 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.