Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • mtbfix

Had a peek at the one in our manly shed. It’s a #3 but the rear jaw has been bust off. Not a great find then.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can I join in? Just had a look at my big one and it’s a Record No. 75

Record no. 75 by Metal-Chicken, on Flickr

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just had a look at my big one and it’s a Record No. 75

The king of vices. I salute your good taste.

acehtn
    Free Member

Just checked out mine, not a record.

Paramo No 3 hi-duty made in England, bit of a rusty shade of blue, could do with a clean up but working fine.

EDIT.

Bit of google-fu, i now know why my Paramo looks like a Record……during the war the record factory was bombed 1940, as vises where needed for the war effort and Britain could not afford to have a vise shortage Paramo where set to make Records while Record shorted itself out.

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/one-of-my-vices-paramo.html

acehtn
    Free Member
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nice find acehtn

footflaps

That Record #75 is a bit of a monster!

Mantastic
    Free Member

How many vices is too many?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The king of vices. I salute your good taste.

Actually it was nothing to do with me! My FIL has some industrial units and one of them was used by a car body repairers that closed down leaving some kit behind. I got a steel workbench with the Record [firmly] attached and an engine hoist free of charge 🙂
    It is a monster – I’ve only just noticed the hole for oiling it… will do that tomorrow.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

They say that size isn’t important, it’s what you do with it that counts!
    Here’s my Record No. 00

acehtn
    Free Member

Been drinking and thinking (never a good combination)

Will have to research my Paramo.

But….if it wasn’t for Hitler having the record factory bombed.

Then Paramo would never have made my vise/vice.

Which in turn may have been used to build Spitfires or Tanks
    That in turn would have sorted out Hitlers Third Reich.

So my vise/vice is a by product of the Third Reich that was used to defeat them.
    So thats proper history, which means Paramo are cooler and worth a squillon pounds on ebay 🙂
    Unless it was post war production then forget everything i said and not selling anyway 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My kind of thread!

I used to design vices for Record, which included destruction testing to check proof loads. Good fun!

epicyclo

acehtn – Member
    ….So thats proper history, which means Paramo are cooler and worth a squillon pounds on ebay

Presumably it’s waterproof and breathes well too 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

My new garage ( part of extension currently being built) will be ready in 6 weeks or so. going to build a workbench, this thread has given me serious vice lust, spending a lot of time looking at them on eBay.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My new garage ( part of extension currently being built) will be ready in 6 weeks or so. going to build a workbench, this thread has given me serious vice lust, spending a lot of time looking at them on eBay.

You’ll have seen this then?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Record-112-6-Engineers-Vice-Brand-New-/321101746922?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ac327d2ea

Good value when you see the RRP. 😯

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Record-Heavy-Release-Engineers/dp/B0002JT4KG

acehtn
    Free Member

🙂

epicyclo, i think the waterproofing that might have been applied in the war has worn thin in places, don’t think a quick wash cycle with nik wax in the washing machine will help 🙂

Liking Bencoopers yellow powder coat, think mine will most likely get wire brushed and hammerite, maybe red.

P20

How are people attaching theirs?
    Bolt through or giant screws into bench. I’m thinking bolts straight through bench

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bolts

Only bolts are acceptable…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bolts only though a thick bench.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bolts onto a steel bench.

I’ve only gone and bought another Swindens – it wasn’t getting much attention on eBay and was looking so sad and lonely…

senorj

this thread has taken singletrack to a new level for me.
    vice pron. fantastic. 😀
    The vice must be bolted*, and the 75 is for serious dark art metal bashing.!
    Only have room for a little one at home – but at work it’s like vice heaven… 😉

* fair enough if you’re sorting the layout.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok now we need soft jaws for the number 3

any ideas – other than a bit of rubber that i currently use.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These Record fibre jaws are pretty damn good.

TR I still need to get the drill pics to you. 😳

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/record-fibre-grips-for-5-vice

bencooper
    Free Member

this thread has taken singletrack to a new level for me.
    vice pron. fantastic.

I have caught myself patting the Swindens affectionately a few times.

At least I haven’t named her.

footflaps

any ideas – other than a bit of rubber that i currently use.

I got some off Ebay for about £7. Rubber jaws with magnetic metal backs so they stick to the vice jaws. Seem ok so far. At school they just made aluminium covers for the vices and used those..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Vice pron is about to be ‘ overtaken’ by 50s drill pron.

Trail Rat, here’s the Meddings drill. Can anyone confirm from the plate if this is a single phase motor? There are four wires which suggests to me three phase.

It just needs a No. 2 morse taper and chuck.

I bought it from the GPO workshop in Orkney. It must date from the 50s.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/537311_10201005918295340_472168085_n.jpg[/img]

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s a single-phase motor according to the plate.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can I play?

Pillar drill by Metal-Chicken, on Flickr
    Cinninnati drill – seems to have had the motor replaced at some point and one of the pulleys at the top is a bit loose. Biggest problem is that I don’t have a key for the chuck 🙁

acehtn
    Free Member

Chuck keys are easy to get 🙂

Shame you can’t direct upload photos on here, this morning i watched the bosses make a top cup for 1/2″ rivets so we can finish making the WWII bunker blast doors. Has to be riveted to match the survivng doors.
    Forge in full swing, big lumps of glowing metal being swung around on tongs and beaten on a big anvil.

Workshop vices seem to be all Record 3&5 🙂 with a nice selection of old machinery to keep them company.

sharkbait
    Free Member

How would I know what size key to get…. is it the diameter of the hole?

edit; Ahh, yes it’s the pilot size.

petrieboy

Imagine my delight when the old vice that’s been lying in my garage for several years after a few decades in my dads cellar and my grandads garage before that is a STW approved model! I’ve never been this cool before – do we have a handshake??

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great find, get it bolted to a bench and get it used!

porter_jamie

my Gerardi machine vice. A Beautiful thing, pull down jaws are the business.

#24 record, made in england, with QR. i just love the way this vice ‘feels’ it is so much nicer to use than the cheapo later imported ones.

mucker

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread so I hope I’m not repeating what anyone else has said or completely off topic, but. If your looking for proper man tools at unhyped prices and are lucky enough to live in west central scotland, always try Bills Tool Store near the Barra’s. Yes you can get a new no name POS for not a lot of money, but for the same money you can get proper quality stuff, second hand, ex MOD, whatever. I’ve been going there since my old man first took me to the Barra’s oh so long ago, even just to look in the windows is an education and better than pron.

bruneep

Pffffttttt.

You lot are over viced

motivforz
    Free Member

Record 24, as above, the daddy of vices. Quick Release is instant, minimal backlash, and beefy enough to hold big car bits. Painted hammerite red by the loverly missus and me. 2 litre coke bottle for scale in background.

here’s something that’s been in it and is bike related

acehtn
    Free Member

Red 🙂

You’ve got a big pink one 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread so I hope I’m not repeating what anyone else has said or completely off topic, but. If your looking for proper man tools at unhyped prices and are lucky enough to live in west central scotland, always try Bills Tool Store near the Barra’s

Aye – though Bills also sells some absolute junk. The ex-MOD stuff is brilliant when you find it, though – I got a nice big quick-release machine vice for £20.

Anyway, here’s my Swindens being useful for brazing some forks:

spooky_b329

My man bench came complete with a dismembered vice, suspect its Record but thats a bit mute when its missing its other half 🙁 Says B/1 and ‘Made in England’ on it.

In the meantime, man bench also came with a ‘Record No 50’ wood vice which is doing sterling service in the meantime 🙂

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8116/8647003113_924dea3945_z.jpg[/img]

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Time to go and check my vice

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.