mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices

Home Forum Chat Forum mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 289 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • fasthaggis

That’s a nice shape Ben,with a bash plate and a swivel base bonus 🙂

bencooper

Aye, it’s bigger than I thought it was – it’s only 3.5″ jaws but very very solid.

mcmoonter

Lovin’ that Ben!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

It’s a number 4.

Is that a good number?

Premier Icon Johnny Panic
    Subscriber

Looking to replace my knackered cheap 3″ Draper with something a bit more robust. On The ‘bay you can find new 4″ Irwin Record vices for around £30 and around £70 which look very similar to each other, like these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271090527246
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350704032268

Apart from price is there likely to be much of a difference?

bencooper

Another Swindens:

That discussion about functional autism and hobbies? Yep…

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

I don’t think you have to worry that much, as long as it’s your only vice…

eh? 🙂

Premier Icon mos
    Subscriber

I’m in the process of re-furbing my grandads record 52 1/2 after it’s been rusting in dads garage for about 50 years.

spchantler

trail rat, any info on the landy forum for stripping the record vice, can’t seem to find it

spchantler

lovely, you d man

Premier Icon matthewjb
    Subscriber

bencooper – Member
    Just imported this from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania (yes, really):

It’s a 1942 Wilton, absolutely original, and it’s gorgeous. I’ve decided I’m a big fan of round-bed vices to go with my round-bed lathe

Some lovely Wilton vices here

carlosg

My sisters boyfriend gave me a near mint Record No3 last weekend as his work had shut a branch down and was chucking a load of them out , piccy to follow.

Shame I have nowhere to fix it to at the moment as the shed is full of bikes 😳

bencooper

Some lovely Wilton vices here

The old one is acceptable, the new ones just don’t do it for me aesthetically 😉

spchantler

cheers for the link trail rat, vice stripped, cleaned and re greased. just got to get a new split pin for the spring washer and we are good to go. didn’t bother with painting it tho, kind of like the rough look. might have some new jaws tho…

Premier Icon stavromuller
    Subscriber

Just had to put these pics on, this thread got me looking seriously at the vice my late, much missed, father in law left me. It says W P No.3 on one side and Anvil Made in England on the other but looks for all the world like a Record. Bit of a mistery, but a cracking vice all the same. He used to work at AE Turbines, so it could have been “aquired” from there, I never thought to ask as I didn’t realise there was such a thing as vice pron. I always thought pron was a vice. IGMC.

Nice vice, shame about the urine sample next to it.

acehtn

American beer, like making love in a boat, fxxxing close to water 🙂

Stavromuller,
    You might have another war effort model on your hands.
    My Paramo came about after the luftwaffe bombed the Record factory, and Paramo where instructed to make Record pattern vices.
    You might have another war hero there.

sv

What about Athol vices, decent/worth buying?

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Not sure what the rules are, but this is my contribution.

Merak

I love my vice. 🙂

mcmoonter

What about Athol vices, decent/worth buying?

I’d never heard of Athol Vices before. I found an interesting thread on them.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/athol-vise-196661/

sv

McMoonter – it was a 614 1/2 but too slow as its now gone, can’t hang around in this vice game 🙂

aka_Gilo

This is one of the best threads on STW in ages :-). I never had vice lust before – I do now. Spending a lot of time on eBay looking for a new (old) vice for the new workbench in my currently being built garage.

aka_Gilo

Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19! *excited*. Off to pick it up shortly, pics to follow 🙂

aka_Gilo

Here it is. Good working order, nice smooth action – well pleased for £19!

trail_rat

Good buy that for 19 quid!

Ive been making good use of my vice’ and mcmoonters old drill the day fixing up my girlfriends bikes…… She uses them till they stop moving and then moves onto the next telling no one nothing till they are all broken and it takes me a day and lots of £££ an penetrating oil to get them into gwo again !

A press might be next with the state of some ofthe bearings !!!!

Premier Icon matthewjb
    Subscriber

Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19!

Very nice.

Have they painted the inside of the jaws as well? Still they’re easy to replace.

aka_Gilo

matthewjb – Member
    Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19!
    Very nice.

Have they painted the inside of the jaws as well? Still they’re easy to replace.

Yes. I’ll wait and see if it effects operation at all. I’ve already found a place that sells replacements, about £14 iirc.

Premier Icon matthewjb
    Subscriber

Not jealous at all

*Runs off to set up ebay search*

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Worth checking gumtree too.
    Slight problem with mine. The bolt holes line up exactly with edge of the support beam on my bench. It’s not in its ideal position but will be fine for what I need.
    Looking at the shiny ones on here I’m tempted to try a refurb

Premier Icon wool
    Subscriber

This thread is the best ever on Singletrack now on eBay to get one of my own I am sure used vales are going to rocket now 🙂

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

Ok some nice vices around here, anyone got a decent press though?

We have two in our workshop the small one for little jobs and the huge one we built using a jack for jacking up railway carriages!! (200 Ton Jack)

little press.

Big F off Press!

I’ve never seen that get stuck when used with a little judicious heat too!

😉

bencooper

A genuine Tangye? Good stuff 😉

qwerty

Just got this bad boy off the bay for £7.50

😀

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Afternoon All,

A mate’s moved into a house and the previous owner left this in the shed. Plenty of grease in the mechanisms, so it works fine, but plenty of surface corrosion everywhere else.

I’ve spent a while squinting at the letters, and they keep changing the more I look! Mangsones? Man & Sons?

I figured there’d probably be a few vice buffs on here who’d recognise the name from the shape of the logo.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Ah! Top thread resurrection!

Sits back and watches with interest.

I’ve been watching gumtree for ages now, missed out on a couple of crackers. Need to be quicker off the mark!.

twoniner

I’ve just been left a garage and some land by my late Grandfather. He was 85 when he popped it and did 50 years in the local granite quarry as a carpenter/fitter.

The bloke was a walking magpie and just had to ‘have’ stuff that was surplus in the quarry. I think he had a vice fettish so will have a look whats there. There is also a very large and old lathe there. Will report back at the weekend.

Premier Icon grey
    Subscriber

I want to play, behold the behemoth that is my precious.
    I picked it for free with another from a high school that was being knocked down.

And just to keep in my Record 84 hidden on the bench, liberated from the local dockyard.

IanMunro

Finally, one with soft jaws. Shame on the rest of you 😀

Premier Icon grey
    Subscriber

😀 I’ve got alloy plates as well, depends on what i’m going to hold.

CountZero

Thanks to this thread I have a rusty, but sound Record No 4. Just needs a good clean up with a rag and some thinners and a repaint. Sadly, I haven’t really got a decent shed and bench to bolt it to, but it’s already proved its worth while making my bushcraft knife. £50 on fleabay, so must be about £1/lb, then… 😀

Madfly

nedrapier, – It’s a Parkinsons Perfect vice.

From the top it should say
    Parkinsons
    Model F
    Trade
    Perfect vice
    Mark
    No 3 (or at least it looks like that size.)

They were made from about 1912 onwards, Sadly they wern’t date stamped. (or so i’m aware)

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Madfly, that’s fantastic, thank you! 😀

Now I know what it’s supposed to say, the letters swim into place (mostly!)

Were/are they any good? guess you can’t go too far wrong with a couple of big lumps of metal and a screw…

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 289 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.