Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 384 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • ski
    Free Member

Some great posts here, makes me feel very inadequate with my cheap ALDI vice 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

In true STW niche fashion, I’ve got a Woden instead of your mainstream Records…

It’s a big old beast, no idea when my Dad got it but it’s from the 50s apparently.

porter_jamie

that Woden looks nice. The Americans all seem to use Kurt vices, but i don’t think i’ve seen one over here.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Woden vices are comparable with Record. That’s a nice one in that the jaws are bolted from the outside rather than screwed from the inside. Looks in great condition too. Keep them coming.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Just aquired a Record No.2, jaws look a bit ratty, any ideas where to get some replacements? Google just shows me jaws for a No1 or No3!

nedrapier

Got a big blue bench vice at home I inherited from my grandpa. Pretty sure it’s a Record, I’ll check when I get home. Sadly neither my brother nor I had the space for the rest of the workshop. Pillar drills, miiling machines, floor standing bandsaw, Myford Super 7, wood lathe, and loads of bits and pieces. I’ll see if I can find some pics.

spooky_b329

Just been in a flea market and found:

A Woden vice approx 3″, one whole turn of backlash before the jaws reverse direction, and a chunk of metal missing from the slidy bit which doesn’t appear to affect it. £20, think I’ll get it.

A Record 6, scared to lift it off the shelf incase the bookcase falls over, about 10 turns of backLash! £25, too big for me but repairable?

spooky_b329

Missing chunk. The screw appears to be off centre, reckon something has been clamped off centre and its twisted enough that the screw has busted the side. Opens and closes OK… Am I about to buy something on its last legs?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother – will only fail when your giving something abuse.

Madfly
    Free Member

The backlash in the 6 is probably down to the spring being tired or the sliding body being corroded / not sliding perfectly. Post up a pic…

Avoid the one with damage to the body,

EhWhoMe

fkinnell im down with the cool kidz too..just looked at the one that has been just a vice until now but its a Record No 1 i knew my day of wrekoning would come eventually.. 😛

spooky_b329

Hmmmmm, I think the 6 will take up too much space on my bench! I didn’t reallytry it due to all the other stuff on the shelf around it, but I opened it a few turns then pulled the slider open and it seemed to move nicely.

Will give the woden a miss too I think 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

WTF? Amazon are sending me unsolicited adverts for vices.

EDIT Not a single Record among them, presses delete button. 🙂

maccruiskeen

WTF? Amazon are sending me unsolicited adverts for vices.

Your postman is getting unsolicited amazon adverts for ibuprofen, he won’t have realised why yet. They’re smart cookies. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Just imported this from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania (yes, really):

It’s a 1942 Wilton, absolutely original, and it’s gorgeous. I’ve decided I’m a big fan of round-bed vices to go with my round-bed lathe 😉

fasthaggis

That’s a nice shape Ben,with a bash plate and a swivel base bonus 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, it’s bigger than I thought it was – it’s only 3.5″ jaws but very very solid.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lovin’ that Ben!

nedrapier

It’s a number 4.

Is that a good number?

JohnnyPanic

Looking to replace my knackered cheap 3″ Draper with something a bit more robust. On The ‘bay you can find new 4″ Irwin Record vices for around £30 and around £70 which look very similar to each other, like these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271090527246
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350704032268

Apart from price is there likely to be much of a difference?

bencooper
    Free Member

Another Swindens:

That discussion about functional autism and hobbies? Yep…

nedrapier

I don’t think you have to worry that much, as long as it’s your only vice…

eh? 🙂

mos

I’m in the process of re-furbing my grandads record 52 1/2 after it’s been rusting in dads garage for about 50 years.

spchantler
    Free Member

trail rat, any info on the landy forum for stripping the record vice, can’t seem to find it

trail_rat
    Free Member
    spchantler
    Free Member

lovely, you d man

matthewjb
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Just imported this from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania (yes, really):

It’s a 1942 Wilton, absolutely original, and it’s gorgeous. I’ve decided I’m a big fan of round-bed vices to go with my round-bed lathe

Some lovely Wilton vices here

carlosg
    Free Member

My sisters boyfriend gave me a near mint Record No3 last weekend as his work had shut a branch down and was chucking a load of them out , piccy to follow.

Shame I have nowhere to fix it to at the moment as the shed is full of bikes 😳

bencooper
    Free Member

Some lovely Wilton vices here

The old one is acceptable, the new ones just don’t do it for me aesthetically 😉

spchantler
    Free Member

cheers for the link trail rat, vice stripped, cleaned and re greased. just got to get a new split pin for the spring washer and we are good to go. didn’t bother with painting it tho, kind of like the rough look. might have some new jaws tho…

stavromuller
    Free Member

Just had to put these pics on, this thread got me looking seriously at the vice my late, much missed, father in law left me. It says W P No.3 on one side and Anvil Made in England on the other but looks for all the world like a Record. Bit of a mistery, but a cracking vice all the same. He used to work at AE Turbines, so it could have been “aquired” from there, I never thought to ask as I didn’t realise there was such a thing as vice pron. I always thought pron was a vice. IGMC.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice vice, shame about the urine sample next to it.

acehtn
    Free Member

American beer, like making love in a boat, fxxxing close to water 🙂

Stavromuller,
    You might have another war effort model on your hands.
    My Paramo came about after the luftwaffe bombed the Record factory, and Paramo where instructed to make Record pattern vices.
    You might have another war hero there.

sv

What about Athol vices, decent/worth buying?

bearnecessities

Not sure what the rules are, but this is my contribution.

Merak

I love my vice. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What about Athol vices, decent/worth buying?

I’d never heard of Athol Vices before. I found an interesting thread on them.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/athol-vise-196661/

sv

McMoonter – it was a 614 1/2 but too slow as its now gone, can’t hang around in this vice game 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

This is one of the best threads on STW in ages :-). I never had vice lust before – I do now. Spending a lot of time on eBay looking for a new (old) vice for the new workbench in my currently being built garage.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Just won a Record No.1 vice on eBay for £19! *excited*. Off to pick it up shortly, pics to follow 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.