Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)
  • Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Typical Surly BS – I reckon they’ve got a mountain of Knards to sell off before they release the DW 😉 I’m interested that the dirt Wizard is bigger than expected too!

RustySpanner

Suck it up.

The pricing is ‘inspirational and aspirational’.

You don’t HAVE to buy one.

All responses I’ve received over the past few years re massive, unjustified price increases.

Don’t start complaining now that the manufacturers have started targeting those with a bit more cash.

SidewaysTim

Chronicle’s will be £59 or £69 depending whether you go for the 60tpi or 120 tpi casing. Due mid October. Not sure where the £100+ price has come from, but they aren’t.

ska-49
    Free Member

From here

Good to know the prices will be more in line with the other 29+ options.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sideways Tim – any info on the other 29+ tyres that are coming???

eddie11
    Free Member

Suck it up.

The pricing is ‘inspirational and aspirational’.

You don’t HAVE to buy one.

All responses I’ve received over the past few years re massive price increases.

Don’t start complaining now that the manufacturers have started targeting those with a bit more cash.

But but but ITS A TYRE! a maxxis tyre! a thing thats designed to wear out from a large mainstream company in a rim size we’ve had for decades but just a bit bigger bead to bead.

I live in the western world, i get set up costs, niche premimum, brand engineering etc. but this is like ford suddenly charging ferrari prices for a stretched focus.

😕

edit:

Chronicle’s will be £59 or £69 depending whether you go for the 60tpi or 120 tpi casing. Due mid October. Not sure where the £100+ price has come from, but they aren’t.

Thank god for that, the world hasn’t gone mad, i’m off for a lie down in a dark place 😆

RustySpanner

Tough.

They’ve been doing this for a few years now.
    So far, it’s only affected those of us who struggle to keep bikes going.

Now it looks like it might just start affecting the Audi drivers, it’s suddenly outrageous.

SidewaysTim

Sideways Tim – any info on the other 29+ tyres that are coming???

What would you like to know?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sideways Tim – Member

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

And breathe…

Well, that is good karmic news indeed

Looks like CTBM’s past marketing career got the better of him

bland

Maxxis is one of the best examples of marketing around.

You do all realise Maxxis is just a brand owned and produced by Chen Shin Tyres, yup, them crap tyres you had your bike as a kid.

Im really surprised no one has picked up CST Tyres as a brand in the UK as they are re-badged Maxxis tyres, or the other way round if you like and ok they have a different tread pattern but i bet there is some decent models in the range, plus you don’t pay Maxxis premium.

I picked up a folding 2.4 version off ebay for £4 delivered and can confirm, other than a different tread pattern everything else is identical, even the packaging

bland

maybe Raleigh have the rights which means Accell have them so they will soon be specced on Lapierres! (probably not but maybe)

eddie11
    Free Member

I think 18 Bikes have tried CST in the past.

I’ve always found maxxis the cheapest of the major brands anyway. Thats why everyone buys maxxis isnt it?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but you guys were talking about Vee 29+ tyres? Can’t find any at ALL in the uk?? 🙁

Gotama
    Free Member

Strada wheels seem to get Vee stuff so maybe worth giving them a ring albeit think they only have the fatbike tyre on their website.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Have Vee made a descent tyre yet though? Always a first time I suppose!,!

Paceman
    Free Member

The Chronicle looks too similar to the Knard to me, i’m going to wait on the 3″ Dirt Wizard which looks the better mud option.

Sam

I’m taking pre-orders on Chronicles now if you want to ensure getting some! £65 for 120tpi EXO, £55 for 60tpi. sam@singularcycles.com

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t you think that’s a pretty lame attitude from that video chap

Leave Sov alone.He is awesomes.

eddie11
    Free Member

I’m taking pre-orders on Chronicles now if you want to ensure getting some! £65 for 120tpi EXO, £55 for 60tpi. sam@singularcycles.com

Sam (or anyone) are they both tubeless ready and folding bead?

And is that your kickstarter price? 😉

birdage

Hoped they’d be even more expensive then the less obese tyres might become cheaper?

Paceman
    Free Member

YGM Sam 😀

rOcKeTdOg

The Chronicle looks too similar to the Knard to me, i’m going to wait on the 3″ Dirt Wizard which looks the better mud option

+1

stevemorg2

Sam – I mailed you about paying the balance for the Dually rims but haven’t heard anything – I think I’m going to need a pair of Chronicles as well!

Sam

Eddie – they are both folding bead but not officially designated TR. From experience with other Maxxis EXO tyres they should still tubeless up fine.

Steve – sorry about that, must have somehow missed it, could you please re-send?

stevemorg2

Sam – YHM

dirtyrider
    Free Member

more dirt wizard stuff

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/

Cheezpleez

Bah!

Paceman
    Free Member

Used my 29+ Surly Knards in the mud this morning and they were surprisingly ok, set at 10psi on the Rabbit Hole rims they gripped pretty well round our local loamy woodland singletrack, only the wet roots were sketchy but I’m yet to find a tyre of any size or shape that makes much difference on those. I’m gonna stick with them until the nobblier 29+ options are available. Looks like the Maxxis Chronicle might be hitting these shores any day soon, but I’m not sure it’ll be that different from the Knards, it just looks like an oversized Ardent to me which is not a mud tyre.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the £110 price tag came from. I’ve got a pair of Maxxis Chronicles ordered for delivery next week at £58 each (still expensive I agree but understandable as it’s quite a small-volume niche market).

devs
    Free Member

I did a descent last night on knards and pretty much bricked myself. Narrow ledge with a huge steep drop to one side. They just aquaplane/glide/sledge down any wet muddy puddly bits. Did the whole thing prepared to leap off to the safe side. They are fine on everything else, including wet roots. Waiting for my EXO chronicles to come at the end of the month as they will be going on tubeless. £68 from Charlie the Bike Monger. Pricey but that’s the going rate for fat and 29+ tyres.

Paceman
    Free Member

Hopefully the Chronicles will be an improvement 😐

devs
    Free Member

Will let you know soon, my Chronicle EXOs have just arrived from Charlie the Bikemonger. Woop woop.

Paceman
    Free Member

Mine arrived today too. The tread looks like an oversize 2.4″ Maxxis Ardent which is no bad thing in my opinion. Pretty aggressive side nobbles and lots of sipes which should provide more consistent grip than the Knards. Doesn’t feel overly heavy either but I haven’t weighed it yet.

bonesetter
    Free Member

We need pics 🙂

The £110 price tag was what CTBM had them up for on his site. Pre-release and actual price

Yeah, the Knards are pretty deadly in the mud

tazzymtb

Got mine on my stooge last week, come up a bit bigger than knard with a flatter profile and some decent side lugs. Still not full mud monster but, they do actually ride a hell of a lot better than the knards. Casing is nice and supple on the non exo, the exo feels a lot stiffer. Tubeless up easily and aren’t to growly on road sections.

SidewaysTim

They’re right nice. Plenty in stock, but all the Exo ones have gone.

Look like Transformers too.

scotroutes

Tim – what are the Mammoths looking like? I’ve been waiting for a HuDu replacement…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hang on Tazzy – you’ve been all over these – exo & non – and didn’t update us?? 😉

Too busy chuntering on the fat bike thread 🙂

Seriously, I’m looking for a Knard replacement for the Stooge and this seems like the one

What are you using (exo or not?)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tubeless up easily

on what rim?

tazzymtb

Bonesetter..my tyre updates n so on have been all over facebook on the groups for proper cyclists n stuff like onecog, rather than the netmums on bikes that is silly track 😉

Not my fault you lot are way behind the curve

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110’ is closed to new replies.