Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 172 total)
  • Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110
  • ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve done about 50 miles on this so far.
    Running tubeless at 16 Psi. It takes away the zing and my wrists don’t suffer as much. Doesn’t weigh much more than my Flow & Purgatory. It’s still easy to manual. Very happy.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I ran a Knard on a Flow, then Rabbit Hole

The extra width makes all the difference 😆

Cheezpleez

I’m about three rides in to using a Chronicle/Dually combo on the front of my Stooge and I’m still experimenting with pressures. It seems less cushy than the Knard but I was running that on a Crest so it had less rim width to support it, which may explain some of that.

So far, I’ve taken the Chronicle down to about 11-12psi which seems pretty good. It’s taken some biggish impacts (eg the drop/compression on Evian, for Surrey Hills locals) without any trouble.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Managed to procure the last EXO version from Travers. It will be going on this 50mm carbon monster from Nextie when I have some spare time in a week or so to attach it to a hub.

ska-49
    Free Member

Do it! I had a nice 25 mile ride this evening. Freezing but dry.
    The Chronicle was great playing around town too.

bonesetter
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member
    Managed to procure the last EXO version from Travers. It will be going on this 50mm carbon monster from Nextie when I have some spare time in a week or so to attach it to a hub.

He has more (landed yesterday) – one of which I just grabbed 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

What are my best (built) wheel options for the Chronicle chaps? & is there much benefit than going wider than the Dually?

bonesetter
    Free Member

You get an extra 5mm width with Rabbit Hole

frood
    Free Member

but the rabbit hole weighs more, is only single wall and will need more work & weight to get tubeless.

mattjg
    Free Member

but the rabbit hole weighs more, is only single wall and will need more work & weight to get tubeless.

is it worth it for an extra 5mm? (probably not I think).

Cheezpleez

I seriously doubt it

ska-49
    Free Member

Tubeless was incredibly easy.
    Wrap of duct tape, 24” inner tube split, stans, tyre and pump. Took me under 10 minutes.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Gorilla Tape fits perfectly in the RH’s width

Mine went up straight away and I haven’t touched it since – this was summer

This has got to be a fairly decent plus point

guitarhero
    Free Member

Is the Gorilla tape quite strong, I’ve got a fair bit of Superstar tape left but have been unimpressed with the quality. Was just going to get Stan’s tape for the Nexties, but the Gorilla tape is a good bit cheaper.

mattjg
    Free Member

what about the upcoming Stan’s Hugo?

At the current state of the art I think I’d take a Dually, if only because Cheez has already done it and I can copy him!

His Chronicle tyre profile looked ok to me, they need to be bit rounded.

frood
    Free Member

I like the look of the Hugo, but it looks like it’s a little while off yet. Delayed till at least Feb atm

takisawa2

There’s a chap on mtbr just built some Hugo’s up, so they are shipping over there.

This is my Dually built onto an old XT hub.
    Been running ghetto tubeless since I built it.
    Didn’t tape the rim, just split a 24″ tube & popped the tyre on.
    Went up easier than any other ghetto tubeless I’ve done, & been up since.
    About 15-16 psi seems to work for me.

IMAG4267 by pten2106, on Flickr

Cheezpleez

I also found tubeless super-easy. I used two layers of Gorilla tape and it went up straight away with a track pump.

takisawa2

So your not running a split tube Cheezpleez…?

Might build one up for the back after Xmas.
    Can’t run a 3″ tyre but should beef up the 2.35 Ralph’s I use.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Alas the exo version eludes me again, as the Chronicle showed up today and it’s the 60tpi version. This is the second time I’ve ordered, and paid for the exo and received the non EXO my mistake. This tyre is getting stupidly expensive with the added expense of return postage.

STATO
    Free Member

This tyre is getting stupidly expensive with the added expense of return postage.

surely the shop covers return if they sent you the wrong thing?!

SidewaysTim

Alas the exo version eludes me again

Just run the 60tpi version. Bet you can’t tell the difference.

guitarhero
    Free Member

surely the shop covers return if they sent you the wrong thing?!

I wasn’t suggesting that wouldn’t be the case the second time, but it wasn’t the first, and the chap wasn’t the most communicative. I think he is currently fielding quite a few “Where’s my ……” emails 😉

Just run the 60tpi version. Bet you can’t tell the difference.

It’s pretty rocky up here in Aberdeenshire. I’m a bit of a serial sidewall slasher.

mattjg
    Free Member

@guitarhero, me to it seems, have a nice email from Travers in my inbox offering to sort it out however I want, including loan of the 60 until they have a 120 if I want.

Can’t say fairer than that I think, I’d use that shop again.

I’m going to keep the 60, I’m not really bothered either way.

mattjg
    Free Member

(& I’m in Surrey, largely rock-free here).

Cheezpleez

@ takisawa – nope, not split tube just a couple of layers of gorilla tape. It sealed straight away without sealant, using a track pump with the valve core in.

SidewaysTim

It’s pretty rocky up here in Aberdeenshire. I’m a bit of a serial sidewall slasher.

Fair enough then, get em to swap it. You’ll be waiting till mid January though.

mattjg
    Free Member

My Travers package included a free bottle (thank you) saying “No, you’re awesome”.

How did they know?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sideways Tim – Member
    Fair enough then, get em to swap it. You’ll be waiting till mid January though.

Make that the start of March

mattjg
    Free Member

So that went up a doddle on a Flow, literally from first puff. I’m not convinced it’s sealed at the beading, time will tell.

It feels firmer than I expected at 20psi, what’s the physics of this? Does a high volume tyre feel former or softer than a smaller tyre for a given psi?

It rolls nicely, better than a 2.35 Hans Dampf IMO, and I think the tyre profile is tolerable as long as I don’t push the psi envelope.

mattjg
    Free Member

I can also categorically confirm it won’t clear a Pike.

john_l
    Free Member

Have you got 60tpis in stock, Tim?

mattjg
    Free Member

Mine stayed up overnight.

Easy to mount tubeless: check.

Anyone got an opinion on a “safe” minimum pressure for a Chronicle on a Flow type rim (< 23mm internal – not a lot for a 3″ tyre!)

SidewaysTim

Have you got 60tpis in stock, Tim?

Nope. Due mid January though.

john_l
    Free Member

Those of you that have replaced CMs with a Chronicle – how’ve you found the difference?

cokie

Those of you that have replaced CMs with a Chronicle – how’ve you found the difference?

Not exactly the same but I went from a Spec Purgatory to a Chronicle. The grip is superb. I had a hairy moment on a saturated off camber muddy bank and the Chronicle saved me. There is no way the Spec would have gripped on that. The extra width got me out of trouble. The tyre makes the front end more subtle and takes the sting out of rigid vs. the Spec which did very little. It does flick up more mud though 😆

Clobber
    Free Member

@mattjg – I don’t know what’s safe on a flow but I don’t think you’ll be getting the 29+ benefits if you’re running above 14-15psi, more in the region of 10-13 for me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Clobber yeah agreed, it works OK at 20psi but it still has the feel of a ‘normal’ tyre.

Gotama
    Free Member

Matt – think I used to put 15 in with the knard on there and it was fine. Knard was an absolute arse to get up tubeless though. Wouldn’t go down to 10 though, partly because you’ll ding the rim if you hit any roots hard.

devs
    Free Member

Maxxis Chronicle users, what tyre pressures are you running?

It’s about 15psi according to my not very accurate track pump gauge. 17.5 stone on Rabbit Holes. So far I have found them to be excellent on mud, roots, snow and even coped quite well with boilerplate ice. They are miles better than the Knards they replaced but obviously they are a bit more draggy. Riding the Knards recently was a hang on for grim death sphincter twitching roller coaster ride but the Chronicles have brought back a bit of confidence and you can actually chuck the bike around a bit on greasy trails.
    I’ve got some fancy reflective tape coming for the holes and gorilla tape to make them tubeless. This will happen over the hols. Might even post some pics 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110’ is closed to new replies.