Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Massachusetts winner of $758m lottery jackpot quits job
  • slowoldman
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Sometimes.. just sometimes a story like this makes you feel good.

chewkw
    Free Member

I bet she can finally relax now without fearing unemployment … 😀

tomhoward

I know its a nice problem to have, but that tax bill….

chewkw
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    I know its a nice problem to have, but that tax bill….

Even if they tax her 90% the amount left will still see her through this life time.

slowoldman

She will be able to afford a really good tax advisor. I was impressed that the business she bought the ticket from was also awarded 50K – and they are going to give it to charity.

km79
    Free Member

It’s a lot of money to land in your lap overnight. Hope it works out for them but I don’t think the odds are in their favour.

CountZero

It’s a lot of money to land in your lap overnight. Hope it works out for them but I don’t think the odds are in their favour.

Maybe, maybe not, but I’d certainly have a lot of fun trying to find out!
    Thing is, while I like nice things, I find it almost impossible to justify spending shitloads on expensive junk just to impress.
    I’d certainly have a nice house, but it wouldn’t necessarily be a mansion, in fact I was shown round one today that is exactly the kind of house I’d love to own, it’s an old brewery and attached house that’s being renovated, with any new stuff matching as close as possible original, like stone flags, tiles, woodwork, and it’s a tiny, tiny fraction of what that lottery win is.
    The only reason I got a look around is because it’s in a tiny hamlet which I have direct family connection with, so a bit privileged, the new owner I believe is in the music business, and a person with superb taste. And money, I know what the house cost, before restoration.

Cougar

while I like nice things, I find it almost impossible to justify spending shitloads on expensive junk just to impress.

This.

I’d buy a modest comfortable house away from scrotes. Beyond that, I don’t know. For a giggle I might well hire a Ferrari for a day, but I certainly wouldn’t buy one.

batfink
    Free Member

I think that once you get to a particular level of wealth – gratuitous spending must become meaningless. At the point that you could just go out and buy 5 supercars without making a dent in your bank account….. you probably wouldn’t bother.

I’d love to be in a position to prove my theory.

onehundredthidiot

Folk up the road won £30odd million a few years ago. They now no longer live here. Couldn’t open door for begging letters, dog kidnapped, folk asking for money in the street etc.

They now live in a nice rich persons enclave in perthshire. Apparently he hates it.

pondo

My old dad used to say, money can’t buy you happiness but you can be miserable in comfort. 🙂 I’d have a nice (but not massive) house, but I wouldn’t be there much.

FuzzyWuzzy

I certainly wouldn’t want publicity (for the reasons in the post above).

As for spending the money, I think your idea of what’s normal would gradually change anyway. It might start with a nice house or three and then all the stuff that was just out of reach before that you wanted but after a few months I think you’d probably start adjusting to the fact a grand was just pocket change and your spending would change accordingly (unless you were just a nice philanthropist etc.). I’m not saying I’d end up wearing diamond encrusted gold chains but screw travelling to my private jet by car if I can get someone to fly me there in my helicopter :p

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d be around long enough to pack my panniers and get my affairs in order before going on a very long meandering bicycle ride round the world for a few years

jekkyl

I’d be anonymous for a start. then I’d travel the world by myself and just have fun doing what I wanted. When I was abroad I might spend a few days in a hostel and chat to folk, make friends, take them out for tea and just be friendly, submege myself in the culture. Then maybe a week in 5 star luxury with beautiful views and bike riding in exotic locations. Then do something else, make little or no plans and just decide what I want to do after breakfast. It’d hard not to become a fat bastard just through drinking and fine food.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d move to somewhere nearer my kids’ school, some nice big 30s houses round there with big gardens. I’d have it really nicely furnished in modern style, pay someone to design it all to my spec and manage the conversion before we moved in.

I might stretch to an Audi or Merc for the car, but maybe just stick with a Passat with as many options as I can cram in it. Maybe the GTE one. Then something like a Nissan Leaf for shorter trips. I’d get a new caravan, but not a huge one, don’t want to need an SUV.

I’d go into town and buy a load of new clothes without worrying about whether or not they are on sale. I’d come back with a load of shopping bags like they do in the movies. And I’d have a sandwich AND a cake at Starbucks. And then go to TGI Fridays on the way home. Go to the cinema too and buy a LARGE popcorn and drink AND some sweets.

I’d replace my bikes with modern equivalents except the Salsa which I’d modernise and bling up. I’d get a new camera and a Surface Book.

Then I’d use the money to set up some sort of charity organisation in the long term. I’m not sure what I’d do with my time.. I’d spend some time researching it and thinking about it.

pondo

It would be nice to do something positive – I have an inspirational friend who supports the homeless in London, I’d hire her and we’d do something to help those who need support.

mogrim

And I’d have a sandwich AND a cake at Starbucks

Careful now, it’s not that much money!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Molgrips response reminds me of

“Dougal if you had three wishes what would you wish for”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah.. the old humble “I wouldn’t do much, just buy a few nice things and look after the family” nonsense..

You’d get caught up in it all before the week ended.

Cars, houses, holidays, clothes, restaurants… jewellery… TV appearances… islands in the Maldives…

The list is spectacularly endless.

Klunk
    Free Member

wealth buys you options, whether you pick the right ones.

drlex
    Free Member

I think I’d want to take the Michael Crichton-inspired path, for a pointless but less dangerous project – set up a lab in Mauritius and recreate the Dodo. More Mesozoic Squawk. Need a bigger win to fit out a hollow volcano for a decent supervilllan lair.

tomhoward

I’d win the ‘what airports have you been to?’ thread. In an (well, my own) F16 or similar, modified to carry bikes not bombs. And I’d have a spitfire for getting around in the U.K., with a chinook to ferry my mates/cars/bikes in.

To quote an oft maligned Texan cyclist, ‘y’all can’t dream big’

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’d buy the company I work for now, and make my boss’s life a misery! 😈

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Wealth buys freedom. To do as you please, be where you want, when you want. Answering to nobody other than yourself and family

Sure I’d have nice house – several probably (Dorset, Snowdonia for starters) and a flash car. Buts it’s freedom, health, people and experiences that make you happy

richmtb

Well I like cars so I probably would buy a Ferrari and a Lambo.

I’d probably still look round ebay for 2nd hand bike frames – just because I like building them up. I’d always win though! Probably wouldn’t be putting GX on them either.

With all that money though the trust / charity idea is a good one. Stick half of the wealth in a trust and you could carry on making a difference long after you were gone

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’d never see a bean of it, my wife would spend it before it hit the ground.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’d do two chicks at once.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

But seriously, I’d give my family a significant percentage of it, use about a third to set up a charity foundation – worked in charities for years – work for a funder now so just get them to manage it.
    I’d buy some businesses in fields I’m interested in (music, brewing, biking), travel a lot and buy **** of stuff!

yunki
    Free Member

Lolz..

40 years of having **** all and living in hovels.

I’d get the motor home of my dreams and do a thorough nuts and bolts restoration on my present van.
    I’d get a sensible (ish) motor each for me and the other half (neither have had new card before)
    Motorbikes
    A house with an effing big garden and outbuildings.
    Couple other little cottages around and about fave parts of the UK.
    A house or three abroad.
    New bikes all round.
    Few quid to the fam.
    Start clocking up airmiles.

tomhoward

Oh and I’d pay all the people at work that I liked (or more specifically, didn’t dislike) at least a years wage, to leave the company for a year minimum, just because.

I’d do two chicks at once.

I assume you’d roast them? In your fancy new oven?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Curious as to why some of you would form a Charity? What type, what for and what’s the reasoning behind it..

tomhoward

What type, what for and what’s the reasoning behind it..

Tax avoidance?

poolman
    Free Member

A near neighbour of mine won the lottery about 10 years ago. Bought loads of nice cars and a nicer house. Got v bored so sold them all and moved back to his old house.

Still drives about in a 15 year old galaxy he had before, all exotica gone. He must have had 10 supercars, you can only drive one at a time…

willard

I’ve thought about this sort of thing a few times before and, apart from buying a suitable ship, hiring a load of ex-military types and going pirate hunting off the coast of Africa, I’d mainly use it to clear the mortgage and relax a bit.

That’s right up until I got bored of relaxing and wanted to do something.

In reality, I’d probably use it to get some professional training courses done, then my skydive license and a lot of jumps. After that, I’d maybe start up my own DZ somewhere warm and try and attract some world class teams to it. Or maybe a dive school. Or maybe a ship and some pirate hunting ex-mil types.

tomhoward

With £300mil in the bank, I wouldn’t have though ‘or’ would be a word that comes up particularly often. ‘And’ would feature heavily though…

houndlegs
    Free Member

First thing I’d do if I were her, change that surname 8)

pondo

Sure I’d have nice house – several probably (Dorset, Snowdonia for starters)

Dorset’s not in Snowdonia, dur.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Imagine how much coke and hookers that could buy!

Might stretch to a HB160

FuzzyWuzzy

A near neighbour of mine won the lottery about 10 years ago. Bought loads of nice cars and a nicer house. Got v bored so sold them all and moved back to his old house.

This sort of thing I don’t get, unless he moved away from friends & family why would it be more boring than his life before? Presumably most of the boredom would come from suddenly not having to go to a job for 40 hours a week but that wouldn’t change just selling up your lottery house & cars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Massachusetts winner of $758m lottery jackpot quits job’ is closed to new replies.