Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Massachusetts winner of $758m lottery jackpot quits job
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This sort of thing I don’t get

Neither did he til he’d experienced it. Take note, those who are going on about orgies of spending.

NZCol

Imagine how much coke and hookers that could buy!

I worked for a lottery, met a guy who worked on the tills in a supermarket on nowhere, NZ. He won $26m, said it wouldn’t change him.
    Next time I saw him was a photo of him on a Harley in Las Vegas on his way to marry a stripper !

alpin
    Free Member

See the family right.
    Buy a mountain, install a chairlift.
    Build a house, not extravagant, rather more cosy.
    Start my own bike park.
    Invite friends to hang around.
    Buy people things.
    Start a wood workshop.
    Make some random things.
    Buy another van and convert it
    Go travelling.

Jakester
    Free Member

I’d probably be dead in three days after all the booze, coke and hookers.

In direct contrast to all those saying “it wouldn’t change me” and “a modest house” I would become the most gauche, cliched example of the bad taste moneyed (Trump apart). I’d be pictured dripping in bling, on a superyacht, which was parked on the back of another superyacht, which is itself parked on the back of a supertanker, which would be full of champagne.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Social responsibility? Caring about people less fortunate?

I don’t have a particular issue in mind so I’d have a fund that charities could apply for to help with a variety of issues. Mostly anti-poverty since that is the root cause of almost all of societies problems… just in my opinion.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Actually, I think most people are wise to the idea that it can’t buy happiness, and sitting around thinking of what to buy next would get old after a while, and like it or not you probably need to work to keep sane. Not that anyone would say no to it!

I’d buy some land, build a nice house and get some cool animals. Always wanted a hanger shaped garage (like half a barrel), would fill it with old motorbikes to work on, and every snap-on tool I could get. If the land had some woods I’d build a small trail centre and jumps etc… for me and friends.

Would probably buy a new build factory unit and do something with it (CNC Shop, classic bike restorations, skate/dirt jump park maybe), even if I ended up just being the land lord It would fill a bit of time and generate some money.

Other than that, see the close family right, help a local charity I support and then…. dunno! I’m not thinking about this anymore, it’s depressing!

drlex
    Free Member

In direct contrast to all those saying “it wouldn’t change me” and “a modest house” I would become the most gauche, cliched example of the bad taste moneyed (Trump apart).

Have you chosen your “cherished” numberplate yet? 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d buy and restore this…..

NZCol

The lotteries are good at making sure the winners get offered support and counselling – seriously. I can’t imagine it not changing someone , the simple fact you don’t have to think about money ever again would be transformational – some would find it overbearing. The other issue I heard a lot was the amount of scrounging and emotional blackmail from all over the place.

If it was me I would go mental, absoluteley mental. I’d fill my spa pool with champagne and sit in it with a straw, i’d have a gold plated T5, lowered, with a gold plated santa cruz hightower with Enve wheels, in gold.

perchypanther
    Free Member

the simple fact you don’t have to think about money ever again would be transformational

..and there’s the problem.

The ” don’t have to think about money ever again” mindset is why most lottery winners end up penniless again.

A local guy to me won £10m on the lottery. Spunked the lot and is back living in a Council house, because he didn’t think about money until he had none left.

tomhoward

I guess that’s the benefit of taking the ‘have it over 30 years’ option. You are protected from spunking it all in the first 5 minutes, and you can keep maintaining a 15 odd million ( in this case) a year lifestyle for a decent amount of time

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’d buy $758 million worth of lottery tickets.

tomhoward

No point, $584 mill would buy every combination, the jackpot would have to be north of a billion to get you a profit though, assuming no one else wins the jack pot (22% chance of that happening, assuming 400mil tickets sold)

km79
    Free Member

If memory serves me right a town in the US done that quite a few years ago, everyone chipped in and bought every combination and won.

brakes
    Free Member

how much would a nuke cost?
    and an impenetrable nuke-proof fortress with enough space, amenities, entertainment, security and food for say 200 people?
    and a throne?

I’d push the global reset button.

tomhoward

One (or a number) big enough to do a global reset?

Trillions

brakes
    Free Member

really? anarchy is expensive.

where can I buy a sea-front property with a sandy beach, some woodland with a river running through it and maybe a small mountain – all not too far from local amenities, schools, etc. oh, and a decent playground for the kids with a skate park.

johndoh
    Free Member

A local guy to me won £10m on the lottery. Spunked the lot and is back living in a Council house, because he didn’t think about money until he had none left.

I don’t know how anyone could possibly do that but there was that scrote that won the National Lottery (ex bin man / local troublemaker) IIRC who spent all of his winnings in a few years.

If I won I would ensure that all my close friends and family (including aunts/uncles/nieces etc) were looked after. After that I would use my money sensibly (I would certainly do something charitable with much of it) but the one thing I would love is a big house overlooking The Stray in Harrogate – one with a 360deg turret room at the top and I would convert that room into a studio and paint. I haven’t painted in years but would love to have the time to be able to immerse myself into it.

footflaps

Sure I’d have nice house – several probably (Dorset, Snowdonia for starters)

Dorset’s not in Snowdonia, dur. [/quote]

He could probably afford to have it moved….

thepurist

I’d deffo splurge a grand on some of them fancy stickers for my bike. And then about 100 grand on proper testing of them followed by as much as it took on the lawsuits to rip the snake oil salesmen behind them to pieces.

tomhoward

There’s a lot more to that ex bin man story that never got reported, all his loutish was apparently done at the request of everyone’s favourite celestial red top for stories. He sorted his parents out, a mill each iirc, then when they ploughed through that, they sued him for more. Legal fees for that took a bite out of it. Iirc he lives in a modest new build development with his Mrs, keeping to himself now. Keith Allen did a documentary on him (Michael Carrol) a few years ago.

Johndoh has given me an idea though. Buy the stray. Then put loads of events on that will benefit the town, bring culture etc. Just to piss off all the folk that demand nothing ever happens on it, ever. Or tarmac it.

Neither did he til he’d experienced it. Take note, those who are going on about orgies of spending

It makes me sad when people with zero imagination win the lottery.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah. Loads of fast cars and a massive house doesn’t really come under ‘imagination’ does it?

I’d do lots of imaginative things with my life – some may not cost loads of money, just require me not to be working.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

where can I buy a sea-front property with a sandy beach, some woodland with a river running through it and maybe a small mountain – all not too far from local amenities, schools, etc. oh, and a decent playground for the kids with a skate park.

You forgot to add Waitrose and an organic deli

RustySpanner

£300 million?

I’d go 12 speed ’till the cassette wore out.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Sure I’d have nice house – several probably (Dorset, Snowdonia for starters)

Dorset’s not in Snowdonia, dur.

When I win my fortune and hit the global reset button, punctuation pedants will be first against the wall

Rockape63
    Free Member

Wow…some of you guys really have set your sights low! Ive been spending most of my life dreaming about winning big on the lottery and with £600m, I reckon I could completely fulfill every wish.

Some of them are quite basic mind! 😉

pondo

Saw a documentary about lottery winners awhile back, only specific thing I can remember is one chap saying how divisive it can be – his example was, he bought one relative a house for, say, 110 grand and another one a house for, say, 118, and the 110 grand house person was complaining bitterly that someone else got gifted a more expensive house. Hunter Davis did a very good book about the lottery, called Living On The Lottery, interesting read.

Just remembered, back when the lottery was new, chap I worked with at the time saying if he won, he’d do positive burglary – wait till the neighbours go on holiday, then break in and do their house up. 🙂

tomhoward

just wondering how long id spend logged in to my online banking staring at a 9 figure balance. THen how gutted I’d be when it eventually dropped to 8, 7, 6 figures….

molgrips
    Free Member

I could perhaps use a private jet though. Just pick up the phone and say ‘I want to go to Whistler, come pick me up’.

brakes
    Free Member

You forgot to add Waitrose and an organic deli

Waitrose! ha. I’d set up a Fortnum & Mason franchise.

woffle
    Free Member

I work in an industry where there are lots of wealthy people. Seems like money buys time and freedom – bizarrely it seems like those I know with the most money are those less interested in the material trappings – they might have a nice house or whatever but it’s more about freedom from having to worry about the car breaking down / mortgage etc. Though I still can’t understand how / why people with more money than they could ever spend work all the hours god sends doing things that make them stressed and miserable.

I won the lottery it’d be a short list;

– a place with sea views
    – ensuring the kids were secure financially.
    – buying the MIL a place next door to my brother-in-law. Just because 🙂

Then it’d be time to learn to surf properly and the freedom to travel the world with my family. And it’d be nice to be able to explore whatever whim interests me at the time – whether it’s learning to carve, foreign languages, cook etc.

But kind of worked out that all of the above – bar sending relatives around the country – are the grand plan anyway so it’d just bring things forward a few years.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what I’d do. Two chicks at the same time.

Jakester
    Free Member

I have a number of wealthy* clients.

A significant proportion of them are some of the most objectionable, cantankerous, penny pinching gits I’ve had the misfortune to come across.

*worth mid-eight figures or more…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d do three chicks at the same time, buy a monster truck to drive over molgrips new caravan and erect a giant golden statue of me to replace hoad monument

nealglover
    Free Member

Two chicks at the same time.

Check out channel 9 !

flange
    Free Member

I’d be an utter mess. I’d buy..

Coke – lots of coke.
    Hookers – plenty of those
    Diggers – I want a 3cx
    Trucks – two fh16s for my cousins who own a haulage business
    Tractors – definitely a John Deere and probably a couple of challengers
    An f150 raptor
    Couple of s1000rrs for me and my mate to do track days on
    More coke
    A big F–k off boat. With a smaller boat on the back.
    One of those land cruisers you get in Dubai with 1000bhp
    Ken blocks focus RS – has to be his actual one, not a replica.

And I’d cover everything in those stickers because it makes stuff even more awesome…

I am drunk. On a train…

hammyuk
    Free Member

flange – Member
    I’d be an utter mess. I’d buy..

Coke – lots of coke.
    Hookers – plenty of those
    Diggers – I want a 3cx
    Trucks – two fh16s for my cousins who own a haulage business
    Tractors – definitely a John Deere and probably a couple of challengers
    An f150 raptor
    Couple of s1000rrs for me and my mate to do track days on
    More coke
    A big F–k off boat. With a smaller boat on the back.
    One of those land cruisers you get in Dubai with 1000bhp
    Ken blocks focus RS – has to be his actual one, not a replica.

And I’d cover everything in those stickers because it makes stuff even more awesome…

I am drunk. Pulling a train… on FOUR chicks…

FTFY

perchypanther
    Free Member

I would hire The Hound.

Together, we would do all the ****ing chicks in the place.

molgrips
    Free Member

My daughter (8) said she wouldn’t want to move from our three bed semi. So it would have to be blinged out to the max. I’d try and persuade them to let me build another storey on top (it already has three) and build down three or four. And a massive bike cave under the tiny back garden. Or possibly simply offer the woman next door half a mil for hers and knock through.

I always wanted to have a fish tank that went from the cellar to the roof, and have layers of marine life like in the sea. A four storey house would be ideal for that.

And the lowest basement the floor would be all swimming pool, accessible via a hatch in the floor of the room above, but it would be a floating living room with sofa, coffee table etc floating around on the pool and a TV on the wall.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Massachusetts winner of $758m lottery jackpot quits job’ is closed to new replies.