Home Forums Chat Forum Making Bacon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Making Bacon
  • lesgrandepotato

Any one do it? Any recommendations for a cure? I’ve got pink powder and a smoker ready to go. But a good starter cure would be good. Probably Apple smoked

scotroutes

singlespeedstu is your man.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skip the pink powder not real need, just remember the quick test for botulism, if you pull your tongue out and it won’t go back in then call the docs…

Did this one to start, nice and easy, smoker didn’t come off trying for a cold smoke so just did unsmoked. Pig was nice and fat, great taste

Sunday morning

Air Dried them

Bacon & Pancetta drying

llama

Did it the first time a month ago using the river cottage curing book recipe. Recipe said on the bone, which I did not do, and also double the size joint that I used. Result waaaaaay too salty, but still with promise. I did not smoke though.

Trying again at present so watching the answers here.

Did some bresaola which, despite wiping off some suspect green mould half way, certainly worked.

edit: yep, exactly as per that video, I just left it salting too long

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh if you have a leg left try the River Cottage cider wet cured, really easy to do if you can weight it down enough, was awesome for the effort vs the salt cured I did

Bacon

Bacon

Whats in the box?

Procuttio

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikewsmith/90541133793

Cider Cured

A cider cured ham

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

This is making me both hungry and thirsty at the same time.

Bacon is amazing.

JoeG
    Free Member

burko73

Just taken my home made smoker apart today. Not been getting much use since having kids! Warm winters etc too little time means no time for making smoked bacon.

johndoh
    Free Member

stevied
    Free Member

That ^ was my 1st thought 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

JoeG – that was the first “rude” tee shirt I ever saw. It was for sale in a shop in Perranporth and made my eight year old self giggle.

The other one said “Be Alert The World Needs More Lerts.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Making Bacon’ is closed to new replies.