Home Forums Bike Forum Low stack stems – current options?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Low stack stems – current options?
  • a11y

I’ve found previous threads on options for stems with low stack height, but none of the models suggested back then are widely available or available in the length I need.

Ideally looking for 30mm stack, 60 or 70mm length. 35mm stack would just about work but I’d be more comfortable with the steerer ending flush or above the stem clamp rather than below.

My current stem has 40mm stack height, 70mm length. Trying to “gain” 20mm in steerer length to allow fitting of a Slack-R headset to my Tallboy 3. Currently got 10mm of spacers below my stem, making the steerer flush with top of the stem clamp. If I can’t do it fair enough, but it’s a very appealing idea.

Thanks.

BillOddie

DMR Defy is 31mm stack in 50mm length when i looked recently.

60 or 70mm is quite long.

ta11pau1

DMR Defy may fit the bill:

• ø31.8mm clamp (Defy50) and ø35mm clamp (Defy50+) available
    • CNC 6061 Alloy
    • 31mm Stack height
    • 50mm reach
    • 5mm rise
    • 189g
    • Stem cap included

60/70mm is a long stem though…

the 35mm model has even lower stack:

• ø31.8mm clamp (Defy35) and ø35mm clamp (Defy35+) available
    • CNC 6061 Alloy
    • 27mm Stack height
    • 35mm reach
    • 5mm rise
    • 176g
    • Stem cap included

Silver 50+ (35mm bar) version:

VanHalen

i bought a defy for this reason – nice bit of kit. i like that there are no rear bolts to interface with your knees/bollox in the inevitable crashes.

ta11pau1

Same, needed the low stack as the fork being transferred across had a shortish steerer, same length head tube on the new frame, but with an external lower cup so losing 10-15mm there, as you can see I’ve managed to fit 2x 5mm spacers (and a 2mm), with a normal stack stem it would have been none.

timmys

If you can find one then a Ragley Stubbing might be your best bet. Available in 60 mm length with 30 mm stack.
    http://ragleybikes.com/products/ragley-stubbing-stem/

a11y

Thanks all.

Defy50 was my fall back if I can’t find anything longer. I know 60-70mm stems are unfashionably uncool, but that’s me written all over 😀 Plus it works for me on my Tallboy to try and counteract that slack(ish) ST angle putting my weight further back than ideal on the climbs – ideally I want to be on a Transition Spur but there’s no chance of that financially.

Stubbing was the go-to recommendation when low-stack stems have been discussed in the past, but I’ve had no luck with eBay search I set up over a month ago.

Now to find a 31.8 Defy50 in black that’s in stock. DMR themselves are expecting more stock of them in a few weeks: https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Components/Stems/Defy50

SirHC

Deity Copperhead is 30mm stack height. Longest they do is 50mm unfortunately.

richP

Syntace flatforce?

https://www.syntace.com/en_GB/products/stems/mountain-bike/2990/flatforce-66?c=77

When I fitted a slack-r to my top fuel I only needed a few mm after removing my spacers. I managed to switch out the headset top race cover with a lower stack one, which meant I didn’t have to worry about changing the stem

a11y

Found this with a 35mm stack, so I need to go away and measure up again – might not be enough but it’s 65mm long: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/spank-oozy-trail-stem-2

35mm stack: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/spank-spike-race-2-stem

34mm stack: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/spank-split-stem-1

a11y

@richP, what top headset cover did you change to?

I currently use a Hope upper headset cover that contributes 11mm stack above the top of the headtube.

richP

At the time I switched around two different FSA headsets that I had (the one which was on there to start with had a really tall top cap). Subsequently when I needed a new headset I bough a cane creak slamset which is even lower

balfa
    Free Member

I did the same on my TB3 for installing a Slack-R. I used a Nukeproof Horizon with 35mm stack. I also used a lower profile headset top cap and split ring to gain a little more room too. Both were from the spares bin so no idea what it was.

However, I’ve just removed my Slack-R as its come loose for the 3rd time! May have one last go with stronger threadlock. Could just be my mechanical incompetence but I struggle to get it tight enough without the cups moving out of alignment. I even put the bottom cup in the vice to try and keep it from moving!

a11y

Thanks @richP. I tried what I had in my own spares box but nothing suitable. I did, however, find a couple of sources for very low profile top covers that might help anyone who stumbles across this at a later date:

http://grafixbyjorj.co.uk/

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/david-s-bibs-and-bobs

@balfa
    , thanks for the info. That’s not encouraging about your Slack-R experience. I’d already decided last night I’m going to continue riding my TB3 as it is before deciding further (I’ve been riding my other bike exclusively) – partly as cost of the adaptors + new stem etc started to add up (still cheaper than a new frame though…). Not sure I even want to give the Slack-R a try now. I had issues with a Works Components angleset cups slipping on a previous bike but that was years ago on an abused Glory DH bike; I don’t want to go through hassle again.

joebristol

If you’re after a slacker head angle could you just try some offset bushings on the shock? I know that’ll probably slacken the seat angle but you could just push the saddle forward to offset this (no pun intended).

a11y

I’ve already got one offset bush in and not keen to add the second because – as you say – it’d make the already slack ST angle even slacker. I already find my TB3 wandery and harder work on climbs compared to my other (much) bigger travel, heavier bike. It’s made worse by me having a good bit of seatpost extension – I’m 6’1(ish) on an XL frame but the Tallboy has a fairly slack ST angle even for its time.

I know the best solution would be a new frame with the geometry I’m keen for, but I’m not talking myself into that one 😀

AlasdairMc
    Free Member

I spent £6 on a ZTTO-branded 45mm stem from AliExpress, which has 30mm stack height.

If you need it tomorrow, £12:Amazon

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread as I have a similar issue. Any help very much appreciated.

I slightly messed up as I purchased a 2nd hand fork without checking the steerer height (this is a build with the son on a budget that is not going so well!!)

Anyhow, fitted to a Brand X HT01 frame with superstar headset, I have 29mm at front/30mm at back of steerer showing. My Brand X stem with 42mm stack height does not therefore work….And this is to go with a 31.8 bar.

So, given the above.

Q1: As a starter, can you go slightly over the visible steerer and if so by how much.

Q2: Do you need any other tolerance/gaps etc.

Q3: So What is the tallest stack on the stem that I can go for?

From looking around, the main options appear to be the Ragley Stubbing V1 (if you can find one although this is 30mm so might be too big), the DMR Defy 50 (31mm height so might be too big), the DMR Defy 35 (27mm height), or a cheaper ZTTO option from Aliexpress/Amazon (29mm according to an Amazon answered question on the item). So hoping one of these will do the trick for me!!

Thanks!!

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

edit / or the fun funduro @32mm??

dc1988

You need to ensure the bolts on the stem are clamping on the steerer, some stems have the bolts fairly central so you can run them further above the top of the steerer than on others

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks, that would give me a bit of leeway of a few mm over being ok then as the bolts are always a little bit further down.

ajantom

Very similar length on mine, and I first ran a DMR Defy, but it creaked like a bastard.
    Then I fitted a Funn Funnduro stem and it’s been rock solid for 3+ years now.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

I literally was all set on getting a DMR Defy 50, with the only worry being that I had read that it can click/creak. Given your comments, I may veer back to the Funnduro / ZTTO version of it.

dc1988

I’m running a DMR Defy 50, zero issues for me

joebristol

Also got a dmr defy – no dramas at all with it. I didn’t actually need the low stack – I just liked the look of it and it’s pretty light.

davros

50/31.8 defy here, no creaking 👍

tomhoward

Thought about getting the Steerer replaced? Not the cheapest option, but means you can use any stem.

https://www.rsfsus.co.uk/

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

OK, I’ll put the DMR defy 50 back on the list!

I have thought about getting the steerer replaced, but I think the lower stack stem will be just fine for now, I have a 30mm upsweep on the bars and it seems about right on the kid.

StuE
    Free Member

Had the DMR stem on my hardtail for nearly 3 years and it’s been absolutely fine

tomparkin

Another +1 for the Funn Funduro. They’re refreshingly quite cheap on CRC at the moment.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Low stack stems – current options?’ is closed to new replies.