Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Lourdes- WCDH banter bus. All aboard
  • oikeith

Something small that tickled me was seeing Pierron drinking water from an unbranded normal bottle whilst on the podium and wearing his monster hat

MrOvershoot

Didn’t see it here so thought I might as well put it up, you know how helmet cams usually make it flatter.

Not Pierron’s run it didn’t!! Make sure you watch in full screen on YouTube

AlexSimon

Was it just me who thought there was something a bit off with the coverage? There just wasn’t any sense of speed or didn’t show the technical difficulty for me, can’t quite put my finger on it but thought they might not have got the camera placements right, even when the riding was on the edge it just all felt a bit tame.

I said the same while watching.

Some of the raw footage from quali/practice captured it much better.
    One thing that really irritates me is when they zoom in on the rider and you can’t see the track.

Mostly I think it was the camera placement though. The one good camera was on that boulder drop. The long zoom foreshortened the gap between the features so it looked pretty full-on.

sharkattack

The footage for the race is never perfect it’s just the nature of having a limited amount of fixed cameras and the complication of running a live broadcast with multiple riders on track at the same time.

I always watch the build up with all the track analysis especially Cathro and Vital Raw. You see all the parts of the track that will be missing from the live feed and get a much better appreciation for the bits you can see that have been flattened by the camera angles.

eskimonumber1

I think this is the last season of Red Bull coverage, so the new providers might provide a better track view (presumably for a subscription fee).

sharkattack

I’d pay money to keep it as it is and watch it on Redbull if we had that choice. It’s really gone from strength to strength and the racing itself gets better every year. I really can’t see Discovery coming from nowhere to massively improve it and I can imagine the audience dwindling away.

Perfect time for someone with the means and ability to do a Chris Ball and launch a worldwide DH racing series with no UCI involvement.

eskimonumber1

Definitely! I’ve no idea what the viewing figures are now compared to say, 7-8 years ago but Rob Warner in particular has taken it up a gear. Be a shame if Discovery were to change that, I think his deal is with Red Bull exclusively, so I hope they can work something out.

You’re right though, a series away from the restrictions of the UCI would be very interesting.

sharkattack

I remember that the owner of Freecaster threatened to start his own DH series when Red Bull stepped in and the UCI took away his baby in exactly the same way they just sold it to Discovery.

I don’t think he could have competed at the time but the Discovery paywall might make all the difference. Red Bull have built a global audience for DH racing and a significant portion of those viewers are about to disappear. How many manufacturers will continue to pour money into racing when the whole circus is hidden away from view?

Anyway, this is probably for a whole different thread.

Lourdes was an amazing start to the season. Bring on Fort Bill!

eskimonumber1

Lourdes was a great start and that Pierron onboard is incredible, looks sped up!

I shall be there at Fort Bill, can’t wait.

sharkattack

Yeah, so glad to see Pierron on fire after a couple of years with some pretty horrendous injuries. He could have easily disappeared into the middle of the pack for a while.

To me he looks like one of the fastest riders we’ve ever seen, certainly from the era of modern bikes with big wheels. He’s another Sam Hill or Aaron Gwin. I bet some of the other riders are scratching their heads when he puts down a run like that which has a few mistakes but is still visibly faster than everyone else.

nickc

I really can’t see Discovery coming from nowhere to massively improve it and I can imagine the audience dwindling away.

bit early really, at least give them a go to show what they can do before starting the criticism?

BruceWee

bit early really, at least give them a go to show what they can do before starting the criticism?

I think if they know everyone is just itching to hate them before they even start it’ll make sure they’re focused on offering an improvement over Redbull.

sharkattack

I’m not criticising anyone yet and I hope it’s amazing because I love watching it. I just can’t see any upsides yet for either the viewers, the participants or the accountants who ultimately decide if it’s still worth turning up.

It’s not like we can judge them on their previous efforts so it’s a total unknown until they either completely nail it or absolutely ruin it.

I do believe that the vast majority of current viewers won’t even pay the cost of entry to find out.

In the hunt for a silver lining I just checked the Discovery Channel’s current productions..

100 Days Wild
    Aaron Needs a Job
    Alaska: The Last Frontier
    Alaskan Bush People
    All on the Line
    American Chopper
    Bad Chad Customs
    BattleBots
    Bering Sea Gold
    Cal Fire
    Cash Cab
    Contact
    Deadliest Catch
    Deadliest Catch: Bloodline
    Diesel Brothers
    Dino Hunters
    Dirty Jobs: Rowe’d Trip
    Dirty Mudder Truckers
    Driven
    Dodgeball Thunderdome
    Dual Survival
    Expedition to the Edge
    Expedition Unknown
    Expedition X
    Fast N’ Loud
    Finding Escobar’s Millions
    Frontier
    Getaway Driver[2]
    Gold Rush
    Gold Rush: White Water
    Growing Belushi
    Guardians of the Glades
    Homestead Rescue
    I Quit
    The Impossible Row
    Jeremy Wade’s Dark Waters
    Killing Fields
    The Last Alaskans
    Legends of the Wild
    Lost Relics of the Knights Templar
    Man vs. Bear
    Masters of Arms
    Masters of Disaster
    Misfit Garage
    Moonshiners
    Moonshiners: Master Distiller
    Mysteries of the Deep
    MythBusters
    Naked and Afraid
    Naked and Afraid XL
    Outback Lockdown
    Raising Wild
    Reclaimed
    River of No Return
    Rob Riggle: Global Investigator
    Savage Builds
    Serengeti
    Sticker Shock
    Street Outlaws
    Street Outlaws: Fastest in America
    Street Outlaws: Memphis
    Street Outlaws: No Prep Kings
    Trading Spaces
    Treasure Quest: Snake Island
    Twin Turbos
    Undercover Billionaire
    Vegas Rat Rods
    Vintage Tech Hunters
    Wheeler Dealers
    Why We Hate
    You Have Been Warned

No mountain biking on there. If we can find a way to combine world cup downhill with the Alaskan wilderness and some kind of turbo charged rat rods built on a budget against a tight deadline while overcoming dramatic set backs, we might be onto something.

weeksy

I do believe that the vast majority of current viewers won’t even pay the cost of entry to find out

A large chunk of them won’t even have the choice in many ways unless there’s an app.

I bet a decent chunk of them at under 23 years old and living with parents… if it’s on actual TV and a decently expensive subscription, they will get told “no” by parents.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I bet a decent chunk of them at under 23 years old and living with parents… if it’s on actual TV and a decently expensive subscription, they will get told “no” by parents.

TV Licence – £26.50 a month for the first 6 months (assuming you don’t have one already, like me), then spend the next 6 months trying to get the advance payment back. Or £41 per quarter.

Subscription – £6.99 a month.

So assuming 6 months of races that’s £123.94.

That’s not an insignificant sum and probably enough to put folk off, especially if it’s an unknown quantity.

nickc

I just checked the Discovery Channel’s current productions..

You know that they own Eurosport, right? That channel with all the cycling on it?

MSP

Are discovery not the owners of gcn (so gcn+) and eurosport.

So in realty I suspect it won’t be on the discovery channel, but on one of their more cycling focussed subsidiaries. It might even be different according to region.

I don’t think they can be looking at downhill and thinking “that’s where the pay per view or subscriptions money is” it would make a lot more sense as part of a larger cycling focussed sports package.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I enjoy watching it because its free – no way would I pay to watch it. The numbers who would pay to watch are going to be tiny

nickc

The numbers who would pay to watch are going to be tiny

Most kids who’re into DH are watching it ‘cos their dads are into cycling/MTB. A good percentage of those folks already have a eurosport app sub to watch all the World Tour, Spring classic etc. I good subset don’t even pay for it as it comes free on their Sky/Virgin/BT subscription especially if they bought it to watch the footy, lots of folks have it as an extra on their Amazon Prime sub.

I think even if no one bought the app just to continue watching (which some folks obviously will), the audience numbers wouldn’t go down by that much just through people being able to see it coincidentally just because it’ll be on eurosport

squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t think they can be looking at downhill and thinking “that’s where the pay per view or subscriptions money is” it would make a lot more sense as part of a larger cycling focussed sports package.

If I wanted to watch any of that other stuff, I would have the package already. But I don’t. So I don’t.

Most kids who’re into DH are watching it ‘cos their dads are into cycling/MTB. A good percentage of those folks already have a eurosport app sub to watch all the World Tour, Spring classic etc.

Citation please.

sharkattack

Most kids who’re into DH are watching it ‘cos their dads are into cycling/MTB. A good percentage of those folks already have a eurosport app sub to watch all the World Tour, Spring classic etc.

I’m not a kid I’m nearly 40 and my Dad doesn’t pay for my subscriptions! I’m literally only interested in watching Downhill because I ride mountain bikes and spent my youth riding DH myself. I’m not a ‘cyclist’ and I’ve never heard of a spring classic so I’m not paying for it. Bundling it in with a load of roadie stuff adds nothing for me.

ocrider

Discovery already own the broadcasting rights for the EWS since last year. Apart from managing to release the highlights package within 24 hours of the race finishing, they also started a live show for the new prologue stage, all free to air on YouTube. Who’s to say that they won’t do similar to DH with an embellished package on a gmbn/gcn channel for qualis and juniors?

Paul-B

Before the thread completely deteriorates into speculation about how Discovery are going to ruin downhill, I’ll just say, WHAT A RACE!

It’s hard to see how anyone can break the French dominance, it seems like it’s theirs to loose. Just looking at Daprela & Peirron, they truly put everything out there and risk crashing out! Loic seems a bit more calculated and I think as the season progresses it’ll be him who floats to the top again. I’d like to see Vergier hit his stride.

Outside of France, Luca, Finn & Danny Hart could break up the party a bit. Danny made some mistakes and had a crappy top section but still rolled in 6th. He’s got some speed.

Minaars result was a good one, reckon he could throw out a few more good results if the wind blows in the right direction.

In the women’s race it great to see such a good mix now rather then it just being the Atherton show. I’m hoping Nina Hoffman gets in the mix with the rest of them (because she’s in my Fantasy Team of course)

I reckon this could be one of the best seasons we’ll see (before those Discovery sharks and the UCI mess it up ;))

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.