Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Lourdes- WCDH banter bus. All aboard
  • malv173

Gee is listed on the Atherton Team, and I think he is planning on racing. I presume he’s not quite there physically yet. That crash was possibly one the most terrifying I’ve seen him have, and he’s had some terrifying crashes!

Gee

lister

The women’s and men’s races are separate broadcasts so it stops after the women then restarts for the men. Warner does both but has different pundits alongside him.

malv173

Also, that was some great racing. What a start to the season. I cannot believe that save from Pom Pom. Neville Southall would have been proud of that!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah there’s a gap for some reason, mens finals are live but n..

Now started.

malv173

Broadcast is starting for the men’s.

BruceWee

Lourdes looks like a really nice town but I can’t help but think the after party must be really weird.

I just end up picturing Rob Warner and Steve Peat partying with a bunch of nuns.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Someone needs a chainsaw put somewhere uncomfortable. Several people actually.

crab
    Free Member

Here comes Minnaar

leffeboy

Someone needs a chainsaw put somewhere uncomfortable. Several people actually.

Yep, it sounds super loud 🙁

sharkattack

I had to disembark the banter bus due to mass illness in the Sharkattack house. I was lucky to get through the race with the volume down while everyone slept.

What an amazing race though. I love seeing Pierron on a charge, he’s an absolute freight train. I never understand how the times keep tumbling throughout the top 10 after someone puts down what looks like a winning run. The top riders are on another level.

I wish I could be at the world champs in August.

kimbers

Wwll my fantasy team is bobbins

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is this the last season for the likes of Gee, Bernard and Brendan ?

squirrelking
    Free Member

The run by Finn looked insane, Aumery’s was obviously better and more planted (that save!) but Finn was like a rocket powered pinball!

I was lucky to get through the race with the volume down while everyone slept.

Lucky indeed. Though I can only assume the chainsaw **** ran out of juice for their noise boxes towards the end. Just ruined the atmosphere for me tbh, one I could deal with but it was all the way down the course and sounded like a lumberjack convention.

scc999

All sorts of issue with the live feed of the men’s race (womens was fine) – kept pausing for me. So much so I just left it paused for a while but then when I unpaused it only played from the current time. Ended up sacking it off and watching the replay.

Did I miss Gwin’s run or did he not race?

Was great to see DH again, everyone got the same weather conditions too which made for some tighter racing. Top 10 guys are just incredible. Looking forward to Fort William. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t think Gwin raced, certainly don’t remember him running.

Course was dry and you could see its taken a hammering. Bring on Ft Bill!

sharkattack

Gwin qualified 35th so he missed the live feed. There was a clip of him at the start. He finished 33rd.

A few years ago I thought he was guaranteed to go sailing past Minnaar’s record for most wins. He’s had a couple of rough years, I wonder if he can get back on top.

pothead
    Free Member

Gwin finished 33rd, he was way off in qualifying so wasn’t shown on the live broadcast. He hasn’t really been in contention since his shoulder injury

scc999

Thanks all. Let’s hope with a bit more time on the bike, development etc he’s back at the sharp end of things.

nedrapier

I cannot believe that save from Pom Pom

Not heard her nickname before, had to look it up to see who you were on about. My favourite guess was “Pom Pom Pierron”. Bit disappointed, tbh.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’s “Pompon”.

lister

It’s Pompon is it not? Named after her horse I think?

fingerbang
    Free Member

just finished the replay, crazy atmosphere! some barnstorming rides and Pierron is a monster. And strong ride from Norton which shows the new intense isn’t the soviet tank bag of bolts that has been reported. But might just be the rider…

bit weird to see Gee man as the man on the ground, wasn’t expecting that

peter1979
    Free Member

Wow, what a race as always!
    What is it with the top riders that they just seem to go to another level on race day.
    Real shame for Lori’s as it looked like he was probably about to put down a winning run before he washed out.
    It’s so hard to predict the winners these days for both men and women’s races.
    Looking forward to Fort Bill now. Fingers crossed this could be Reece Wilson getting a home win!

malv173

Pompon

Oops! It certainly is! My apologies to Myriam. It was still a great save.

I was impressed with Kade’s time. He seems to have made a fair bit of progress this season. He spent a decent amount of time in that hot seat.

kayak23

I was impressed with Kade’s time. He seems to have made a fair bit of progress this season.

Yeah, me too. Amazing time, stood for ages.

So, how many people show up versus how many qualify to race?
    It’s a lot of work if you don’t qualify huh…

Oh, and also, how come the lady counts down thirty seconds, then ten, but they go on 5?
    Bit rude no? 😉

sharkattack

Oh, and also, how come the lady counts down thirty seconds, then ten, but they go on 5?
    Bit rude no?

You can set off any time in that last 5 seconds of the countdown. The clock starts when you trigger the wobbly stick thing.

nickc

Any one of the top five guys could’ve ended up on top of the podium TBH, I was pleased that Daprela seemed Ok after trying to shoulder barge a tree out of the way, aso Fin Iles not crashing and edging Loic by two hundredths was a statement of intent. Good to see Reece and Laurie getting solid places as well, for all the talk of the Frenchies taking over, that was 4 Brits and 4 Frenchies in the top ten.

stwhannah

Just spotted this thread. George is doing a pair of articles for every round of the WC:

When & how & who to watch at Lourdes DH World Cup on Sunday

DH World Cup Round 1, Lourdes – Race Report (Contains Spoilers)

zbonty

Great watch that. Some great skills on display as always. I didn’t have an issue with the feed but only remembered it was on after the men had started.

MSP

Was it just me who thought there was something a bit off with the coverage? There just wasn’t any sense of speed or didn’t show the technical difficulty for me, can’t quite put my finger on it but thought they might not have got the camera placements right, even when the riding was on the edge it just all felt a bit tame.

Maybe it’s just because it’s the first round, but compared to the last few events their was really no feeling of tension or peril.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Top half looked steep and technical to me, and judging by the mid-race interview with Kade any faster would’ve been risky. Excellent first stage to the series.

nickc

There just wasn’t any sense of speed or didn’t show the technical difficulty for me

I though the coverage was pretty good (watching it on catch up, perhaps it as different?) i thought it was spectacular stuff frankly, thought all the top 10 were clearly going flat out!

kayak23

Nice highlight reel here.
    The winners are revealed in the clip if you’ve not watched it yet.

I would post the winning run pov but then that would be a blatant spoiler too.

Seek it out though. It is pure 😳

tabletop2

I think we can do spoilers in the thread aslong as the title of the thread itself isn’t a spoiler!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Eight weeks ’till the next race though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When is Rachel Atherton returning ?

Great result for Tahnee Seagrave – odly not much coverage for her

rockitman

Little bit of info on a few things mentioned above…

I think Gee was just covering for Lauren who usually does the finish line interviews, not 💯 sure but think she had Covid. Gee’s not fully recovered yet.

Thibaut is fine. Disappointed, but fine.

Benoit’s run was wild. So wild that I messaged him about it as it didn’t look right compared to all the other riders. He said he was struggling as he chose the wrong settings on the rear shock so…

mashr

MSP

Was it just me who thought there was something a bit off with the coverage? There just wasn’t any sense of speed or didn’t show the technical difficulty for me

Had plenty of both in my opinion. This isn’t a Val Di Sole type track though, so if expecting that it would look and feel quite different.

Also, if you want it to look harder make sure to watch the earlier runners. That’s where the hard looking crashes and sketchy moments tend to happen

squirrelking
    Free Member

Finn Iles and Camille Balanche both looked proper fast, I agree the speed gate really didn’t seem to correlate with the footage though.

ayjaydoubleyou

The speed gate, the “virtual straight”, and the “key section” all seem to have little relation to who actually wins, so I think they are either located in idiotic places, or the technology doesnt work properly.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.