Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Losing weight, age old thread but any proper advice?
  • uplink
    Free Member

Probably a foot and a chunk of her lower leg I'd imagine

or maybe the rapid bowel evacuation?

DrT
    Free Member

A friend of mide has lost 12.5stone (yes thats right, 12.5 stone, more than I weigh!). Dropping from roughly 25 stone in 6 years. She has had an amazing journey and has written a book which is worth a read,

http://www.dietgirl.org/dietgirl/about-shauna-reid.html

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

The eating little and often seems to work – I'm only looking to lose a couple of kilos and have found this works quite well and most of the time it stops me reaching for the vending machine at 4pm. It also helps balance blood sugar. A good book to read is Anita Bean's food for fitness and she has another one on nutrition for exercise – both cover loosing weight, food, exercise etc. I've been doing a bit of reading and protein seems to be the way forward – keeps you full for longer, as well as helping with recovery so you can train harder.

Running makes me really hungry and not sure I notice a change in weight – my hr is higher than on a ride, but as I only run for an hour, I burn less calories than on a ride (given I usually ride for 3-4 hours)

Cut back on meat and eat more veggies/beans/pulses. Opt for tomato based sauces instead of creamy ones. Be careful of giving up chocolate/sweets and eating nuts/dried fruit instead – yes they are healthier for you, but can contain similar amounts of calories if you don't watch portion control. Lots of exercise and no booze.

I don't follow the fat burning / hr thing as I can't seem to stay in the hr zone needed to burn fat – and surely the more calories burnt during exercise the better, rather than forcing yourself to take it easy.

Mixing up training as well works well – I'm currently doing a mixture of running, mtb'ing, road riding, weights and spinning classes. I have days when I run and then ride, instead of just run or ride. I certainly feel more toned / slimer /clothes looser, even though the scales aren't showing much difference.

(Hels, if you check back on this thread, can you PM me – would like to ask you something but don't appear to have your email address…)

uplink
    Free Member

……..and no booze

& for that reason, I'm out

aracer
    Free Member

I don't follow the fat burning / hr thing as I can't seem to stay in the hr zone needed to burn fat – and surely the more calories burnt during exercise the better, rather than forcing yourself to take it easy.

Congratulations for ignoring the "fat burning" mythology!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

The only way that fat can be stored in our body is in the presence of insulin. Insulin is only produced when we eat carbs. So carb and fat together = weight gain, eg, chips, crisps, cakes, pizza, cheese sandwich.

So bacon and eggs for breakfast is fine…but bacon, eggs and a slice of bread? Bread produces insulin, and all the fat from the bacon is then stored!
    FAT IS NOT THE ENEMY!!!!! SUGAR IN ANY FORM IS THE ENEMY!!

The whole "eat less, do more" thing is conplete rubbish. It's not how much we eat, but what we eat. Exercise is fantastic but don't count on it as a means to weight reduction.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Foxychick – that is wrong in several ways. Bread does not produce insulin, you need carbs in your diet, eating fat and protein will still put on weight if you eat enough. its a simple calculation – calories in ( in any form) > calories out you gain weight

FoxyChick
    Free Member

TJ….really sorry but you are SO wrong!

Bread does not produce insulin???? And I thought you had a tiny amount of medical knowledge…seems it's very tiny indeed.

I did not say don't eat carbs…but if you want to lose weight, don't eat them with fat.

allthepies
    Free Member

I think posters should qualify their statements with their method of knowledge acquisition e.g. googled it, have a PhD in sports science, etc etc.

There's a whole load of armchair experts here!

aracer
    Free Member

So if I finish eating my toast and marmalade (no butter) before starting on my bacon and eggs I'll lose weight?

iDave
    Free Member

foxy chick is indeed correct

there is also evidence that eating high sat fat is an advantage

to cap the most effective means to lose fat

don't drink calories
    cut out white carbs
    focus on high fat protein
    high intensity intervals are more effective than long steady rides
    drink lots of water
    grow some discipline

I feel qualified to advise this having a BSc, coached olympic cycling medalists, world cycling champions, MotoGP riders, F1 drivers etc and written two books on fitness/training published in 3 languages

the bollox written here is truly shocking.

if you don't know your information, shut the fk up or you just sustain the fairy stories and misinformation

thanks you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Foxychick – is because I have some knowledge on this that I know its rubbish. Insulin is produced in your pancreas not by foodstuffs. The theory of not eating fats with carbs is well proven to be bunkum. Hi and low glycemic index is correct and eating bread will raise blood sugar which will increase insulin supply. No effect on fat metabolism at all which is totally different mechanism.

Want real advice on loosing weight – check out NHS sites on this or dietetics

My knowledge – trained nurse with basic understanding of physiology. I get lost when the science gets hard tho – all that atp -> adp / glycogen stuff

Edit – crossed post with Dave who obviously know more than I

Yes easyily absorbed carbs are bad for weight gain – but to say eating bread along with fat increaes the seight gain over eating them separatly is from my understanding wrong.

Lots of misunderstandings and crossed wires here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The only way that fat can be stored in our body is in the presence of insulin

OK, well, I can see 2 ways:
    1) there is always insulin unless you're dead
    2) in the absence of insulin, where does the surplus go ? Most of the calories eaten are digested, and you can't pee them out…

hilldodger
    Free Member

Low GI carbs for snacks + protein and veg for main meals, simples 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

weight loss myths:
    Carbohydrates make you put on weight
    Eaten in the right quantities, carbohydrates will not cause weight gain. A 2003 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine concluded that dieters on the best-known low-carb diet, the Atkins diet, tended to lose weight not because they ate fewer carbohydrates, but simply because they ate less overall. Eat wholegrain and wholemeal carbohydrates such as brown rice and wholemeal bread, and don't fry starchy foods when trying to lose weight. For more information, go to the Food Standards Agency’s website Eat well, be well (links to external site).

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

This is the best place for info on this

oldgit
    Free Member

My GP diagnosed me as obese, however like on here I got totally conflicting info everywhere I went. I was told to try this or that diet, that it was in my genes, to try excersice? That it's was due to a botched opp all sorts.
    After not losing an ounce with vairious diets I just went back to eating the things I enjoy but in small quantities. I've also taken to training every day for two or three weeks (although I was told that this was a bad idea) the having a day on day off week.
    I've also chucked the scales and go on how I feel and look. As strangely all my weights around my midriff, you can't pinch the skin on my arms and legs.
    I've only been this way since an apendix opperation went badly wrong twenty years ago.
    Anyway being honest with myself, and that ain't easy seems to be working. And though I can't checkmy weight I do seem to be losing it at last.

oldgit
    Free Member

My GP diagnosed me as obese, however like on here I got totally conflicting info everywhere I went. I was told to try this or that diet, that it was in my genes, to try excersice? That it's was due to a botched opp all sorts.
    After not losing an ounce with vairious diets I just went back to eating the things I enjoy but in small quantities. I've also taken to training every day for two or three weeks (although I was told that this was a bad idea) the having a day on day off week.
    I've also chucked the scales and go on how I feel and look. As strangely all my weights around my midriff, you can't pinch the skin on my arms and legs.
    I've only been this way since an apendix opperation went badly wrong twenty years ago.
    Anyway being honest with myself, and that ain't easy seems to be working. And though I can't checkmy weight I do seem to be losing it at last.

scotabroad

Thanks for all the posts folks, some ideas I have gleaned from here which I think will work for me.

1. I am heartened by the news that high intensity excersize works for fat loss, I prefer to get some sweat up rather than doddling along.

2. I had been thinking about the gym once or twice a week heading into the autumn/ winter months too build up mucle, this was more due to the fact my upper body seems to be getting out of shape and needs built up. If muscle does help burn up fat that would be an added bonus.

3. I have already cleaned up my diet and drinking with more cooking and no booze midweek but reducing portion size will be the next "challenge".

4. I absolutely do need to excersize more, my work is now office based with no form of excersize at all, I know from experience that I need to increase activity so I do not buy into the idea that excersize isn't the best way to lose weight, for me it is a necessity.

5. Exercise before brekkies isnt an option but the occasional walk to work is, I need to make sure this happens rain or shine one or twice a week.

6. I do like my carbs and it would do no harm to up on the protein by a moderate amount. I did do a high carb diet a few years ago and it really shifted the pounds but it wasnt a healthy diet.

Cheers

S

FoxyChick
    Free Member

TJ…what I meant to say, as I'm sure you realise, is that our body produces insulin when we consume bread.

I am well aware that bread itself does not produce insulin.

eating bread will raise blood sugar which will increase insulin supply. AND WHEN INSULIN IS PRODUCED FAT IS STORED!!!!!!!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FC – its not as simple as that. Carb metabolism and fat metabolism are different. Eating fat and carbs at the same time or at different times make no difference to the dsimple calories in / calories out equation.

Its a diet myth that is widely told but it simply does not work like that.

Excess calories in any form are stored as fat.

Trekster

on my way down stew

surfer
    Free Member

iDave, out of interest what are your books called?

Surfer

FoxyChick
    Free Member

OK TJ…you get the last word on this cos I cba to argue with you!! 😉

I know the secret of weight loss…simples…

8)

sparkingchains
    Free Member

You don't have to be a doctor to know that exercise and eating less makes you loose weight. It isn't a secret!

Having said that what TJ is saying makes a lot of sense but perhaps the NHS link is the most useful!

juan
    Free Member

have been vegan for 22 years and what a surprise! i aint fat! milk is designed to feed a newborn calf and not to go on your cornflakes. its easy really. its bloody unnatural to consume milk and dairy. there are no other species on the planet that consume another animals milk, and if you still think its natural?[.quote]
    Well give us some more figure to prove you "ain't fat". Plus I have been eating meat for 30 years and guess what "I ain't **** fat either". Oh and they are no other species that consume other animal milk because they are no other species that can digest the lactose.

I think the key is booze cut the booze completely and it is going to make a huge difference.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know the secret of weight loss…simples…

You eat meerkats?

waihiboy
    Free Member

havent read any of the above but i wanted to loose some weight, hit 14 stone 2 months ago for the first time ever.

gave up the following and nearly back to 13 stone.

1 – bread in the week, nomore sandwiches in work, just have rice, pasta and salad

2 – cut down the beer massively and now if i do drink have vodka and tonic

3 – cut out red meat, just happened, started eating loads more chicken and fish and this seems to have helped.

4 – drinks loads more water

5 – crisps and chocolate, just have nuts and crackers.

(the above was very hard at first but soon as you see the weight start to come off you get more into it)

havent really done more exercise apart from the usual 2 rides a week (most of the time)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wouldnt mind but I eat nothing like chocolate, no puddings, drink one pint a week, rarely eat sandwiches, cook everything from raw materials and eat mostly fish and veg. Can't seem to drop below 16.5 despite trying!

uplink
    Free Member

Just reviving this thread as I started wondering how many calories I eat etc.

As I said earlier I run 8 miles[ish] most weekday mornings before breakfast
    Now breakfast is a bowl of muesli + some fruit – maybe a nana & an apple
    the muesli is 209 calories per 45g [with semi milk]- I weighed the amount of muesli I generally put in the bowl – 130g

So my breakfast is around 700 – 800 calories 😯
    Pretty much what I just burned running

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Out of interest waihiboy… why does cutting out bread make a differenc when you still eat pasta? Still the basic same ingredients isn't it???

Skipping shop bought sarnies would be a good thing though, they tend to be loaded with mayo and the like.

I need to shift some lard myself, in the past I did so by going low fat in the diet (simply on the grounds that fat has more calories than carbs or protein), cut booze dramatically and did a LOT of exercise. Think I will try similar again, though the booze levels may remain a little higher! Just need the energy and motivation now!

skidartist
    Free Member

Can't seem to drop below 16.5 despite trying!

So try swimming with sharks then.

Jamie
    Free Member

Out of interest waihiboy… why does cutting out bread make a differenc when you still eat pasta? Still the basic same ingredients isn't it???

Yeah i wondered that.

waihiboy
    Free Member

when i say i eat pasta, i only have it about once a week, i normally have rice everyday in work or salad, i used to have sandwiches every day.

everyone is different, what works ofr one won't work for another. yeah the science is there but it doesnt answer everything.

i have a mate who eats crap (takeaways atleast 3 times a week) and never does any exercise and he is thin as a rake!

zaskar
    Free Member

I was 100kg in May and now 87kg and a realistic target of 75kg by the end of Dec which will take my BMI to 21.5 for a 6ft 1 male medium-large build.

I don't look 6 months pregnant and ready for breast feeding anymore! I do
    have a flat stomach and normal clothes I look great but I know I have loads to work on and lose that 12kg of lard before I do any other body building/training.

I'm taking my time so I don't stress my body out or have up and downs.
    I have lost weight before and faster but always put it on during busy times and injury recovering periods. My issue is keeping it off and reprogramming my body to adjusting to a new normal state.

Did a little research but I have studied human biochemtry and sports physiology/nutrition for years and in my degrees and a GF who is a psychologist has taught me a lot about myself too.

My personal biggest enemy is SADD (and myself) and I have planned my strategy to beat it but it will always be there unless I choose not to.

Everyone has different issues, habits and problems and techniques to fix things. You can all learn from each other instead of having a go at each other as usual on stw.

Whatever works for you-go for it. But do some research on the topic in detail if you can-apply the big picture too.

I'm not going into detail of what I know or what I do as I will be burned at the stake on stw witch hunt lol but it works for me from basics to metabolic pathways.

If you want it bad enough you will succeed. Just don't give up -be patient. And if something isn't working-then don't make the same mistake and evaluate.

I hope you all get what you want and good luck. 🙂

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Oh and they are no other species that consume other animal milk because they are no other species that can digest the lactose.

I'm not aware of any other animals that participate in "agriculture"…and when I see a murder of crows swarming like bees on a cows teat I'll consider it a nightmare, and then lobotomise myself with a spoke before I'll come out with something as ridiculous as a suggestion that humans are the only animals that can digest lactose…FFS, my mums pussy loves the **** stuff!

BTW

I lost 20 stone almost overnight when I gave up vinyl for cd.

sparky6911
    Free Member

Having spent 4 years studying exercise physiology and human nutrition there is 2 people that have posted so far that are making the most sense, these are iDave and FoxyChick, however I would offer a word of caution, unless you are in a managed diet with regular access to a nutritionist be careful with the high fat diet, mainly because lifestyle habits are a major factor in weight loss and gain especially as we get older as generally our metabolic rate drops as we age.

Fat loss/Weight management is easy enough to achieve through sensible eating and portion size, mixed training to prevent the body becoming accustomed to the exercise. A combination of resistance training, to keep muscle tone and keep the resting metabolic rate high, interval training works well on the alternate days from the resistance work. 30 to 45 mins of medium intensity exercise, fast walking or gentle jogging before breakfast is good to kick start your day as your blood sugar levels will be low after your night's sleep and your body is encouraged to bury off the fat cells.

Take things steady to start if you go at a form of exercise that is new to you to hard there is an increased risk of injury, and remember significant fat loss takes time so don't expect results over night

I can tell you this from personal experience after losing a significant level of fat but notice I do not say weight as I was not out to lose weight just lose the excess and increase the muscle mass after destroying both my knees in a skiing accident and only just been given the all clear to start higher impact work again.

Good luck with you efforts.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as generally our metabolic rate drops as we age

isn't it actually that people move less as they get older? – I mean, what we call metabolism is various invariant chemical reactions. If you were to require less energy to maintain life that would imply increased efficiency otherwise.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

CBA

iDave
    Free Member

EDIT – dangerousbeans retracts post!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

EDIT

BSc Applied Nutrition

No retraction just CBA

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Losing weight, age old thread but any proper advice?’ is closed to new replies.