Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which tour de France book for holiday reading?
  • geoffj

Nothing too heavy. What’s good?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

French Revolutions is rather fun.

headfirst
    Free Member

CFH is spot on.

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

‘Riding High – Shadow cycling the Tour de France’ by Paul Howard if you want to get an insight into what it takes for a club rider to ride le tour

tommid
    Free Member

+ 1 for french revolutions or Blazing Saddles by Matt Rendall.

aP
    Free Member

Avoid anything with “Armstrong” in the title

domino

Another 1+ for French Revolutions
    I found Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage hard to get into at first but it was quite enlightening.

Read both Armstrong books the other week within a couple of days, I was left with the impression that there are two sides to every story and he was definately revealing only the smallest of detail about his life.

ourmaninthenorth

“Tomorrow, We Ride” by Jean Bobet.

If he doesn’t make you want to ride, you have a heart of stone.

singletracksurfer

yet another for french revolutions – very funny.

ampthill

I enjoyed its not about the bike (Armstrong)

But it is clearly let down by the I love my wife stuff.articularly as he goes on to dump her. But its still a good readf

grahamt1980

l agree with blazing saddles, its great. Mad what some of them had to do in the early days

eddie11
    Free Member

Two cycling books that reference the tdf but not necessarily about it:

the death of marco pantani by matt rendell, really captures the excitement of racing

and the rider by tim krabbe. Easy read but almost a mediation on riding. satisfying.

gingerflash

I really enjoyed “A Significant Other” by Matt Rendell and Victor Hugo Pena.

Not a TDF book but “A Dog in a Hat” by Joe Parkin is excellent.

Rough Ride by Kimmage, I didn’t enjoy. The bitter whining of a nearly-man.

Susie
    Free Member

Another rec for French Revolutions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

avoid “the tour de france” by graham fife …. i ended up with it in a book swap from a hostel …

good if you want a history text book !

Kramer
    Free Member

French Revolutions.

amosridl
    Free Member

Cavendish’s one is a decent read. Well worth a pop.

Richard Moore’s one on Chris Hoy/British Track Cycling and his one on Robert Millar were both good reads too although not TDF related.

But yeah French Revolutions was fun.

colnagokid

Re-reading French revolutions at the mo, recommend any of the other Tim Moore books too

oldgit
    Free Member

‘The Great Bike Race’ by Geoffrey Nicholson

Chronicles Van Impes 1976 Tour win. I’ve read it many times gritty and inspirational, though it might be a book of an age, including mine 😐

Ed2001
    Free Member

Lot of good books recommended. I would add Boy Racer- Mark Cavendish Biog. I was a bit sceptical,but its very good- extremely current, great insight into how BC runs ( prob most interesting bit imo) and life as pro in the peleton, a lot about last years tour and well written as ghost written biogs go.

MrOvershoot

Another vote for French Revolutions took it to France in 2003 while staying at my mothers.
    My wife almost banned me from reading it in bed because I kept her awake with my helpless giggling but in the end she was so intrigued she read it in the 2nd week 😀
    This year while in France I read Richard Moore’s one on Chris Hoy/British Track Cycling which was also very good in a feel good about being British sort of way.

I read the Robert Millar one earlier this year and although it was good from my point of view as someone who was racing in the early 80’s it was slightly like reading someone’s training/race diary.

alexpalacefan

And yet another vote for French Revolutions 🙂

A

BlingBling
    Free Member

geoffj

Limited choice. Ended up with 23 days in July.
    Will hunt down a copy of French revolutions.

MrOvershoot
    metalheart
    Free Member

Bad Blood: The secret life of the tour de france (by Jeremy Whittle)

njee20
    Free Member

I enjoyed 23 Days in July, more a blow by blow account of the tour rather than anything else, but good.

French Revolutions is nothing short of fantastic.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Vin Denson’s book is good and all the better that its written by the rider who is still around

Obree’s book is worth a read

Hinault did a book (out of print) which is good

for ethical reasons I’d avoid
    the Whittle and the Pantani book personally as journo’s making money out of doping is almost as bad as the doping its self, (Kimmage is allowed the Rough Ride but not the subsequent career on the back of it)
    and
    “In search of RM” outed a very private man unnecessarially don’t buy/ read on principle

aP
    Free Member

Rough Ride by Kimmage, I didn’t enjoy. The bitter whining of a nearly-man.

The writings of a bloody hard man

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Just finished Tour de Force and that was a good read, but haven’t read anything like it before…

boxelder

Tour de Force

Much better than Armstrong’s books and a good insight into him and other riders.

peteimpreza

“Push Yourself Just a Little Bit More” by Johnny Green. Yes Clash fans that Johnny Green.

Johnny gets Press Accreditation and follows the Tour from the inside.

“French Revolutions” and “A Significant Other” are also god reads.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

+1 for French revolutins by Tim Moore. Its funny and you can relate to it as its an ordinary bloke riding the route rather than some kind of superman figure.

mudshark
    Free Member

Reading French Revolutions earlier this year made me want to go touring which I did a few weeks ago. Would love to do a TdF route and wonder what year’s one would be the best to do – one that is as close to a continuous loop as possible I suppose.

The Kimmage book is very good too and think it’s good he continuous to do what he does.

Death of Pantani is another good one.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Mudshark- the most continuous loop? There is nearly 300 miles between Tarbes and Limoges and 400+ miles from mont ventoux to Paris, in what way is this a continous loop?.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Sorry mudshark I hadn’t woken up, as you can gather not this years, recently, well probably last years, as Prudhomme made it a big part of the race that there were as few transfers as possible.

metalheart
    Free Member

for ethical reasons I’d avoid
    the Whittle and the Pantani book

eh? so you saying that either all the riders are clean or perhaps that maybe it should just be brushed under the carpet in a dont-spit-in-the-soup kinda way?

our ‘heroes’ have feet of clay. personally i haven’t recovered my belief since finding out about mr sixty%’s jeux plane escapades being epo induced.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

no, they are fraudsters and should face criminal trials. The UK and other countries should follow others examples and create the crime of “sporting fraud”. Drug cheats steal the soul from sport.
    Campaigning and truthful reportage across all sports is needed not the rubbish that goes on now.

the book writing journalists are just leeches writing what they want about a situation they knew about at the time, they too chose not to spit in the soup when it was happening. Therefore they are also culpable for what has happened to the sport.The holier than thou crap they spout in books as “revelations” is just exploitation

Ed2001
    Free Member

big-n-daft- its a bit early mate to be drinking, Im sure when you’re sober you will realise your rant doesn’t make sense “we need truthful reportage but journos who write books about drugs are leeches” WTF? :lol:.

ghostdog
    Free Member

I’ve just finished In Search of Tom Simpson, which was quite good.
    Sorry to buck the trend, but I found “French Revolutions” a bit dull and “Push Yourself a Little Bit Harder” was just irritating. IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which tour de France book for holiday reading?’ is closed to new replies.