Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Losing weight, age old thread but any proper advice?
  • surfer
    Free Member

On the contrary, the best way to lose weight is actually to do high intensity exercise, as that gives you the biggest metabolism boost.

It is but it is difficult to maintain for very long for the majority of people. Running slowly allows fat burning and is achievable.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You will lose more weight consuming food in a liquid form that you will in a solid form. Dont ask me why but it is a fact.

except your teeth, saliva & stomach reduce everything you eat to liquid ASAP. You cannot digest solids.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, but most people are time limited. You want to be doing as much intensity as you can in the time available. No point going for a slow half hour run at lunchtime when you could be doing half an hour of sprints instead (if your aim is to lose weight).

That and I'm assuming people on here already tend to do long slowish stuff out riding their bikes.

aracer
    Free Member

except your teeth, saliva & stomach reduce everything you eat to liquid ASAP. You cannot digest solids.

Oh goody, more sfb gems from the "common sense" handbook. Can't you just accept you don't really know what you're talking about?

ourmaninthenorth

One of the key things that we haven't touched on is the mental side to the reduction in consumption.

Weight usually goes on gr5adually. You know, today I eat one chocolate bar, tomorrow I eat two. Today I drink one pint, tomorrow I drink two.

I have found that effective weight loss – which is as much a mental exercise as a physical one – requires a steady change in dietary habits. So, rather than crash dieting and ceasing to eat everything "bad" immediately, do it over a pre-determined period of time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can't you just accept you don't really know what you're talking about?

only if you do too :o)

hels
    Free Member

To clarify on Dairy is the Enemy – dairy contains a lot more fat than a lot of people realise, and it means you can;t have pizza, creamy pasta dishes etc. I wasn't quoting any actual science on this, perhaps low fat dairy is OK. It is just a very simple rule to control fat intake, given the obvious stuff about lean meat and don't deep fry all those healthy vegetable.

Science is rubbish these days anyway since t'internet ! And don't start me on Sports Science.

patentlywill
    Free Member

For me I found it useful to get a real idea of the amount of weight I needed to lose; to get to a BMI of ~22 I needed to lose about 20KG which equated to a typical airline baggage allowance – having recently lugged that around on holiday it finally (!) dawned that I was lugging the same around with me whenever I was riding and to lose it would make a huge difference to tackling hills etc.

I also did a bit of the psychobabble bit of actually working out whether what felt like hunger signals actually meant I was in need of food, or were instead just signs of being tired and/or stressed and/or bored etc (mostly the latter when it came down to it).

Also I decided I wanted to do what I could to reduce risks of high blood pressure/diabetes/heart attack stroke and all the other things that mean active life could stop many years before it should.

Finally I decided to drop the booze, puddings and snacks, but otherwise to eat pretty much the normal diet, and to try and exercise or at least not slob out mosty weekday nights.

Currently 1 stone down on the way to three stones down…..

adlyhobart
    Free Member

i have been vegan for 22 years and what a surprise! i aint fat! milk is designed to feed a newborn calf and not to go on your cornflakes. its easy really. its bloody unnatural to consume milk and dairy. there are no other species on the planet that consume another animals milk, and if you still think its natural? i would like to see you drink it straight from the cow and not have it conveniently bottled and chilled for you. do the math! it isnt rocket salad you know.

saladdodger
    Free Member

adlyhobart

i would like to see you drink it straight from the cow and not have it conveniently bottled and chilled for you.

Yes please raw milk is wonderfull stuff

mind you so is bacon etc

aracer
    Free Member

You're a vegan and preaching to us about what our natural diet should be? 🙄

i aint fat!

Is that because your diet is so unappetising? 😈

uplink
    Free Member

there are no other species on the planet that consume another animals milk

bollox

I've also [personally]seen a cat taking milk straight from the cow

surfer
    Free Member

i have been vegan for 22 years and what a surprise! i aint fat!

aahhhhhh…… Sanctimony

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

However you go about it, losing excess weight is a good thing to do. I've knocked off about 5kg in the last couple of months (stacked it on by eating too many snacks and breaking my leg last year) and I feel loads better for it. Climbing performance has improved and my wife is 'digging' me. 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Learn to fidget all the time. This is my theory as to why I'm a skinny **** that eats way more than they burn off.

Cooroo
    Free Member

A page or so back, someone wanted alternative to sandwiches to take to work. Since Mr Cooroo discovered he felt better without bread, he (and sometimes me too) has been having: cooked rice, tuna (nice flavoured ones from Aldi) or ham, spring onion, tomatoes, cucumber all mixed up with a bit of low fat mayo. He reckons it's more filling than sandwich and has lost 2 stone since Feb.

Del

its bloody unnatural to consume milk and dairy. there are no other species on the planet that consume another animals milk, and if you still think its natural?

i suppose 3 million years of evolution has got us this far, taking whatever resources we could get, so maybe going vegan is the next step eh?
    i'll pass if it's all the same.

Smee
    Free Member

Dead fall fruitarian is the way forward. Or maybe not – think of the microbes people…

coffeeking
    Free Member

lol dairy is the enemy 😀 In those thought processes we'd be banning cooking any meat too, and only consuming raw fruit and veg and raw meat.

The only enemy is eating too much of stuff or in an unbalanced way.

finbar
    Free Member

Fat is not the enemy. I think a common mistake people make is cutting out all fat from their diet and overdosing on carbs instead, which never leave you feeling satisfied unless you scoff an absolute ton of them. Eat some peanut butter, olive oil, avocados, nuts, full-fat yoghurt, etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Exercise does increase your metabolic rate for a period afterwards for the majority of people. there is no doubt about this. Mechanisms are not totally clear and how much exercise at what threshold is debatable but the basic fact of exercise increasing your BMR even after the exercise is complete is accepted by virtually everyone who works and researches in this field – apart from SFB of course

Refs for simon

– this one is in older sedentery people but the effect is there
    http://biomed.gerontologyjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/52/6/M352

Wiki – follow the references if you still need convincing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

FuzzyWuzzy

Do a 1 hour low intensity ride before breakfast (a cup of black coffee before is OK though). This isn't bonk training it's just you'll switch on fat-burning much easier. The exercise will also raise your metabolism for several hours after so you'll be burning additional calories just sitting at your desk in work.

Only other tip I'd give is have more than 3 meals a day but spread them out and reduce portion size so in balance you're not eating more calories). Also protein makes you feel fuller than carbs (which is why the Atkins diet kinda works) so although you shouldn't stop eating carbs and fat it can be beneficial to increase the proportion of protein you're eating.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but the quoted result is (a) 60kCal/day – ie tiny (b) less than 30% of the margin for error

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yes, but it's in the elderly and the exercise will be trivial.
    Come on simon, why do you find it hard to believe that your body might need extra cals to repair itself when you've exercised?

uplink
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Simon – plenty more links for you to follow and pick holes in if you want

I am not doing your googling for you but if you insist agasinst the mass of scientific evidence that this effect does not occur perhaps yo could show where you get your information from.

Many studies show this effect in one form or another although how big the effect is and what the mechanism are are not clear to me.

aracer
    Free Member

you'll switch on fat-burning much easier

sigh

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

does not occur perhaps yo could show where you get your information from

I'm arguing from an evolutionary standpoint. Creatures that kept burning extra energy after they've stopped action would be at a disadvantage. Mind you, the effect you mention is too small to be significant

iDave
    Free Member

the biggest waste product from exercise is heat. which raises metabolism

restoring homeostasis post exercise has an energy cost.

if you can't comprehend this why offer advice as clearing you are ignorant, thick or deluded or maybe even all three..

Keva
    Free Member

i have been vegan for 22 years and what a surprise! i aint fat!

I've been an Omnivore for 40yrs and what a surprise, I ain't fat!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

he biggest waste product from exercise is heat. which raises metabolism

it's the other way round, metabolism generates heat :o)

ignorant, thick or deluded or maybe even all three..

the word you're searching for is "sceptical"…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm arguing from an evolutionary standpoint. Creatures that kept burning extra energy after they've stopped action would be at a disadvantage.

Creatures who's bodies didn't repair themselves or return metabolic chemicals to normal after exercise wouldn't last long either. Exercise is a damaging process on the micro scale. The reason it's a good thing on the macro scale is that the body can repair itself and does so better than before in an attempt to adapt.

saladdodger
    Free Member

anyway my BMI is ok

Shame I need to be 12" taller

mogrim

I'm arguing from an evolutionary standpoint. Creatures that kept burning extra energy after they've stopped action would be at a disadvantage. Mind you, the effect you mention is too small to be significant

From an evolutionary standpoint muscle repair and glycogen replenishment before the lion goes for you is probably a good thing, and both of them require energy.

Edit: coffeeking beat me to it!

iDave
    Free Member

it's the other way round, metabolism generates heat :o)

i'm refering the post post exercise state – reducing your temperature has an energy cost

the word you're searching for is "sceptical"…

no its not. Do you have some credible new laws of thermodynamics that you're keeping to yourself?

scruff
    Free Member

Im always really hot and could wear just my kegs in winter and not be cold, why am not less big ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Im always really hot and could wear just my kegs in winter and not be cold, why am not less big ?

You eat too much.

skidartist
    Free Member

I saw a cover one of those cheapy 'Chat' type magazines that had the headline "I lost 5lbs after swimming with sharks"

Probably a foot and a chunk of her lower leg I'd imagine. If you are looking for something a bit more 'balanced' you try a tank of piranhas.

BoardinBob

if you can't comprehend this why offer advice as clearing you are ignorant, thick or deluded or maybe even all three..

*chortle*

iDave
    Free Member

bob passes the reading test… I fail the spelling test 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Losing weight, age old thread but any proper advice?’ is closed to new replies.