Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Lord help me…Facebook marketplace…. aaand breathe…..
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve just deleted that convo.

That is the proper response for those wallopers.

I don’t deal with anyone that makes an offer on a vehicle or a bike over the internet without viewing , I don’t deal with anyone that offers me swaps , I don’t deal with anyone that’s rude or demanding in their messages.

By don’t deal- I won’t even respond it’s a rabbit hole I am not prepared to enter. And continuing to deal with them often results in agro such as “it’s not as you said it was ” ” I want money off ” “refund please”

Nothing I sell has been so unique or overpriced that it’s only had one or two responses I’ve always had alot of interest so can be choosy.

roger_mellie

I’ve had some fairly positive experiences recently of FB Market place, selling stuff quickly to people who can actually communicate.

This chap didn’t get a look in though.

StuF

The only bad experience was on FB market when I said I’d buy some paving slabs, messaged him to say I’ll be there in 30mins (time to drive to his house). By the time I’d got there he said – sorry they’ve gone as someone else was loading the slabs into his car – ffs wasted journey.

DrP

I’ve given up trying to sell anything on eBay and mostly I just can’t be arsed selling stuff by most routes any more. In most cases I’d rather just give it away to avoid being jerked around.

Indeed.. if i’m selling a high value itme i’ll put the effort in, but TBH, most stuff i’d rather give to mates/charity/hold onto, as i simply can’t be dealing with this!!!

DrP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I thought I’d take a chance with marketplace after reading how much better it is than eBay. after a few hours I pulled the item I was trying to sell due to the influx of incomprehensible shite I was getting messaged with.

Stuck it on eBay instead and within a few hours was reminded why I have a garage full of stuff I should really sell. Dealing with the pond life that scour eBay and marketplace is just too much effort.

JackHammer

If there’s a ranking system of selling places, FB marketplace has gotta be at the bottom. I thought GumTree was bad, but FB marketplace is a whole new level of window licking.

JackHammer

Although Shpock was pretty terrible.

PrinceJohn

The person I sold my Whyte to was on Facebook marketplace, their first questions – how low will you go?

My response – no lower than sea level as I don’t like going underwater.

In spite of my hideous sarcasm they actually bought it.

ajantom

This is happening in my neighbourhood. A lot of quite decent stuff including very serviceable kids’ bikes being given away on the ‘no selling allowed’ community page because people simply CBA.

We tried selling a very nice high chair on FB, only wanted £10. Only stupid questions, and 2 people who said they wanted it and then didn’t turn up.

In the end we decided to give it away, so listed it as free. Again daft questions and requests to deliver it for free.

So I stuck it on the front lawn with a ‘Free’ sign on it. No takers.

Eventually I put a ‘For sale £10’ sign on it, and it was stolen within 10 minutes 😆

DrP

Don’t forget…i’m GIVING away this wee-ride seat…

For free…

Sigh..

DrP

franksinatra

I recently moved house so sold a lot to clear out. Mainly furniture. Just checked my selling history on Facebook. Sold 15 items, total value of nearly £500. Not too much faff. I think listing on local buy and sell groups helps a lot. I also think lockdown helped as everyone of doing up their house but not wanting to travel to shops to buy stuff.

damascus
    Free Member

Don’t forget…i’m GIVING away this wee-ride seat…

For free…

Sigh..

DrP

Why not try stw classifieds?

Although if you’ve not got rid of it with this stealth add, you are not going to. Maybe it needs a photo 🤔 😂

Is it still available?

kcal

I use Gumtree for stuff I want to sell locally. Minimal buggering around and free.

lol. Tried to get rid of a bunch of furniture. “Could I deliver 50 miles away?” (no). “I’ll be round immediately”. They weren’t. I think folk would snap it up on impulse to check it out, then think later (granted that would require cognitive thought).

The last item, sofa bed, was eventually sold to a really nice guy so there are some. I even loaded it into his car then followed round to unload, as he was enthusiastic, pike and turned up with cash when he said.

tdog
    Free Member

Do folk really sell 2nd hand boots

🤬sake!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

dannyh
    Subscriber

Ebay and Gumtree are bad enough, but Facebook Marketplace is the haunt of an entirely different level of cretin.

The thing that surprises me is that whenever I have had to interact with anyone on FB Marketplace (when the missus has clearly ignored my ‘never again’ edict), I have never met anyone who appears to possess cognitive abilities that would rival those of a rabbit dropping. Not once.

I disagree but also have some sympathy, I recently sold a bike I paid £800 for second-hand & well used a few years ago, granted I had spent a few quid on it but in my mind it was now only worth about £500. stuck to on FB MP for £800 & within minutes had people squabbling about who was first in line. Sold it to a guy who drove 30 miles in about 20 mins to get here first, even though I told him that if he was on his way then I would hold it for a couple of hours, I think I could of got £1000 for it though.
    The key was I actually spoke to him & he seemed (& indeed was) a decent bloke rather than deal with the barrage of email/texts you can spend your life trying to respond to.
    On the flip side I sold a very horrible frame on eBay that I even offered to give away on here for £70 to a young guy that hadn’t a clue what he was buying other than he liked the look of it, I felt really guilty even though I said he would be better off buying something else & I wouldn’t hold him to buying it, in the end I took his money but it still didn’t feel right.
    I prefer to sell to people I can speak to & make sure its what they want, that way the hassle & potential returns are minimised although more effort may be required in the first instance.

Waderider
    Free Member

George Carlin is obviously one of the stupid ones if that’s what he said, because he doesn’t understand statistics.

I sell nothing by ebay / Facebook etc. for the reasons outlined above.

ajantom

We were clearing out our attic and I found a box with some 60s/70s Matchbox cars and a few original boxes in.
    Very tatty, bits missing, etc.

Looking on eBay even tatty boxed cars go for a few quid (literally a 2 or 3 quid), so I whacked them on as a job lot.

Clear photos, honest description, i.e. well used, bits missing, boxes tatty, etc.
    Offered to send more photos too if they wanted.

Sold for £18 in the end, which surprised me. Now the self-proclaimed expert who bought them is moaning that they’re missing bits and tatty, and in his words ‘scrap’.

I’ve pointed out I’m not an expert, and that he could have asked for more photos, or just not bid on them.

Just waiting for him to ask for either a partial refund or a return now. Twunt.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

The ones who piss me off the most (apart from the ones who don’t turn up) are the ones who say i can get it cheaper from x so will you lower the price? i always tell them to buy from x then. The other dozoes are the ones who offer a derisory price because they’ve just spent all their money on a new car/holiday etc as if this is going to gain them sympathy.

tjaard

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone.
    I listed a full face helmet that my kid out grew.
    Clearly listed the recommended head size in cm and inches, and the fact that it was called size Kids S.
    Had several peoples ask: “would this fit a X year old?”
    Or not ask at all, then let slip that their child is 12, when my small headed 8 year old outgrew it…

kerley
    Free Member

You’re joking, right? Or you clearly haven’t encountered the parade of arse candles that I have when trying to sell in exactly that way.

Bez,
    What has gone wrong when you have sold BIN / Immediate Payment Required?
    Interested to know what they can do to cause issues. By the way I sell anything of value over £50 as special delivery (the buyer pays so I don’t care what the delivery costs) but it fully protects me and I don’t get the nonsense you hear about from budget couriers with their rather loose delivery approaches.
    Have sold well over 1,000 items with not a single issue yet.

andylc
    Free Member

Freecycle is also almost entirely populated by idiots. Of the lot I have had by far the least amount of issues on eBay. Honest description and lots of photos, plus always starting at 99p and letting the market decide the value has always worked well for me. Other than the commission issue I find it pretty stress free and the only 2 times I’ve had an issue both were justified – one got lost by Royal Mail and the other had a minor damage that I hadn’t noticed and was happy to agree a partial refund.

halifaxpete

I’ll have all this to come as I’ve got vans parts and a bike to sell soon. Usually sell too cheap for a quick sale, CBA with the hassle.

ogden
    Free Member

Weird, I had all these issues with pinkbike but managed to sell everything pretty much fuss free on Facebook within a day during the start of lockdown. Managed to flip both my bikes for a unreal price and an e13 cassette.

Set of wheels went on pinkbike and he was the bigger tyre kicker of all the people that came around, tried to get the price down once he’d arrived. Pointing out he’s not gonna drive 45min each way and not buy them for the sake of a tenner moved things along though.

pictonroad

Sold a pink little tikes playhouse recently very cheaply. Appears These things are like crack to young Girls. An AVALANCHE of messages. Chose one that was written with recognisable words.

Repeatedly asked the buyer if he had a truck or van he insisted he had a big 4×4. Turned Up with wife and kids in a honda CRV. One side of the playhouse was bigger than his boot.

Poor chap was so emasculated, got grief from his Mrs for being a numpty. Child was looking so sad and berating downtrodden Father about the potential loss of promised pink plastic joy. In the end I drove it round in my Hilux to save the man any more grief.

cool story I know.

dannyh
    Free Member

To be fair, I haven’t had too much FB Marketplace interaction since I introduced my £20 per hour rate for dealing with the resulting cretins (first £20 is paid as a call-out fee). I actually did take £20 of the proceeds of the last time out of my wife’s hand. She thought I had been joking. Since then, I haven’t been troubled all that much.

I hear rantings from time to time like “I rushed back from ‘x’ because this person wanted ‘y’ that I am selling and now they haven’t bloody turned up”. But generally I don’t get involved.

Pointing out that a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result doesn’t seem to register either.

The world is an odd place sometimes.

DrP

I kid you not..
    got some recon forks up for sale.
    FOR SALE.
    FOR MONEY.

just got “swap for gold rl rockshox judy? all black about a month old”.

gun in mouth.. just try me…

DrP

dannyh
    Free Member

^^^
    Life is too short. There are enough tossers I have to put up with in life (work etc) so why actively court dealing with more when you don’t have to?

matt_outandabout

Try car parts selling on marketplace.

I’ve a set of discs and pads (£30 new and boxed) for V70/Mondeo/Freelander. Clearly linked to the manufacturers site with a ‘does it fit my car’ function, plus I’ve listed the vehicles.

I’m about a 100 messages – offering swaps, asking for me to deliver and donate them for free as they are skint, asking if they fit a Honda, asking if I’ll part with just one disc (!) and multiple ‘where are you?’ questions.
    I’ve had three say “I’ll be there on Tuesday” and just not turn up…

At this rate I’m going to give them to my garage and tell them to give someone a freebie…

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Lord help me…Facebook marketplace…. aaand breathe…..’ is closed to new replies.